New York City Transit Employee Reviews in United States

very productive, consistant with raises, they have a lot of work hours available.
Transit Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2016
clock in sweep and mop floors. Go to early morning meeting, discuss the rule of the day and things to do later with boss. After office work go to lunch and prepare to do work. Get onto the field clean maintenance and flag. Come back to work location to mop and prepare to leave.
Great title to have if you're busy with other things in your life.
Traffic Checker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2016
Being a Traffic Checker, you can either stay part-time, or move on to full-time work. If you're in school, or have a second job, they'll work with you if you're up front about it. The pay is great especially if you're coming from working part-time in retail. Some of the hours are long, but who complains about making too much money?
Pros
Free bus/subway fare, benefits after 90 days
Cons
You may end up working outside in the rain or snow
Nyct
Structure Supervisior (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2016
This job has giving me the security in life that many people strive for. Your not gonna get rich in life here but it will give you that sense of security, not while employed there but when you are retired. There is a lot of promotional advantages working for this company and I took a chance on becoming a supervisor and used the skills I knew before taking the position to try and be the best I can be at this position.
the company was so large that management procedures were very complicated
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 5, 2016
At transit , i was in charge of preparing template checklists for the other auditors that were performing field audits and responding questions and collecting information from auditees that were under my daily work day. Additionally, I was providing technical advice to employees in other departments in the use of the Construcware program for managing projects in construction and design phases and codes for inspections of on going projects such as ASTM, Structural Welding Codes, ASME IV; and compliance with Management Procedures and Design Guidelines.

These latest activities I was providing before became par of the Quality Department , during , my participation in management of projects in design and construction in the areas of Structures and Subway Stations Rehabilitation.
Pros
Fast and on time completion of assignments regardless of additional duties requiredby the management
Cons
Very seldom late arrivals to work, due to long commuting (PA to NY)
NYC Agency
Senior Inspector (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 21, 2016
Layers of people with lifetime jobs. A few are real workers and make the transit system work. The remainders are just on for the ride, benefits and retirement.
Great Benefits
Computer Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2016
Great work life balance and benefits. The perks are really great and job is really stable. Would definitely recommend to others.
Pros
transportation usage
Cons
Located downtown
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 2, 2016
A hard working day filled with plenty of assignments. The work day started at 8 am and end 4 pm. The office was located in downtown Brooklyn.
Best place to work. Very professional work environment
Summer Intern Law department Torts Division (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2015
Great learning environment with lots of room for growth. The lawyers and legal aides were very helpful in giving guidance. I enjoyed learning about the process that takes place before an actual trial.
enjoyed the people and love to work to attain my goals
General Superintendent- buses (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 13, 2015
nothing bad / enjoyed everything about work / the best job in the world / experience worth a million / do it all over again!
Pros
helping people
Cons
life to short
very intense and time sensitive work place
Refuse Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 3, 2015
small unit with in nyc transit but handle the five boroughs, some physical abilities is required and leadership skills
Great Job
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 29, 2015
Good people, good work environment, learn to have patience, hardest part of the job was traffic on 5th ave, the enjoyable part was meeting new people
Good place to evolve yourself with the public, always outside working and interacting good place to work.
Track equipment maintainer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2015
In the morning the 5 man crew would get or orders for the day and we pack our tools we for the job and head out to the subway to or destination. Lots of really good fun with my co worker, always learning, over-time was great and the travel time also.
Pros
get paid lunches
Cons
watch your back
I love New York
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 29, 2015
A typical day at work you did not know who you would meet. Celebrities, starving actress or who knew. I love New York. I would love to live there again
Pros
New York is a great city
Cons
traffic
Great Place to work
Enterprise Asset Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 30, 2015
An organizational culture based on hierarchy which offers very lucrative positions and benefits to its employees. Also offers very competitive occupations via testing of the general public.
Satisfying, and proud.
IQ Consultant (Current Employee) –  The tunnels of the New York City subway system.November 30, 2014
As a member of the IESS team implementing joint MTA police, Homeland Security initiatives for public safety I feel proud in my part of protecting the homeland.
I am limited here in comments due to the nature of the job, but will say proudly that the extensive damage wrought by 'Sandy' has been remediated and the program on track. NYCT management has done an amazing job of rebuilding transparently a system that moves 8 million riders daily!!!!!!!
Pros
pride, and satisfaction.
Cons
sandy, dirt, rust, and 'where is the men's room?
secure job
Fiber Optic Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 16, 2015
very challenging job Fiber Optic Technology takes years to learn fundamentals and years more to accurately troubleshoot the network in a non intrusive way so as to not cause service disruptions .
Pros
security
Cons
civil service mentality
A Great Career even through Idiosyncrasies!
Motorman (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 23, 2014
My Career was filled with a great variety of jobs and skills learning. Worked revenue(passenger) trains which was a highly skilled job which required very good operating skills and dealing with all kinds of humanity. Also worked as a Switchman which required very good skills in the preparing trains for service or moving bad order (electrical/mechanical/pneumatic problems) trains. Most co-workers were easy to get along with and treated as brothers both on and off duty! Most managers were knowledgeable and courteous and knew their jobs some did not! Weather! Good or Bad it affects your Job and how the job gets done! Going to work everyday! Especially when the weather is great!
Pros
good camaderie along with good supervision!
Cons
poorly trained supervision with little time on the job!
Great company to work for
New technology Coordinator Control Center Systems (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2015
never know what the day brings. learn a lot about service delivery. Management allows you to make judgment calls. Connections to other companies
On the job with Transit
Station Agent and Train Conductor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 11, 2014
New York City Transit is a job that can be a career. It offers advancement through promotions, good benefits and a decent wage, meaning to be able to actually live in NYC and support a family. I'm a people person and I am also a hard worker... the stressful and fast pace environment didn't harm me. The hardest part of the job was the loss of family time and dealing with irate people or the fact that you are put in harmful situations at time. I had a very good rapport and still do with many of my co-workers.
The biggest benefit from working with the NYC Transit, is the ability to stretch myself and the growth the job itself provided by work through and overcoming various situations.
Pros
benefits, pay, co-workers, public, time saved & room for advancement
Cons
job pick, contract, breaks, lack of empathy and sympathy, time off, & hours lost in family time.
I loved this assignment
Reporter Support Aide (Intern) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2015
I was an Intern who wrote for two of Transit's internal newsletters. The best assignment ever. I really was able to utilize my writing skills and I loved being a part of the MTA.
Pros
employee metrocard pass

4.2