New York Hall of Science Employee Reviews

work at the new york hall of science for the past 2 years
Facilities Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  New York StateJanuary 16, 2017
I worked at NY hall of science for past 2 years, I am currently seeking employment elsewhere due to disrespect. In his place your experience for the job you do means nothing, if you are an engineer you are forced by management to take on jobs that are beneath your title. if you speak up, you are disciplined and told not to complain about it, 75% facilities workers are on the verge of retiring and wont stand up for their rights its a sad place to work, unless you work in a different department not under the facilities manager.
Pros
none.
Cons
too many to include
great learning experience
Director of Exhibit Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 17, 2015
The Hall of Science is a great place for the ideas that are starting to develop in a Design- Make -Play, The Hall from my observations has made Queens from a place to drive thru to a place to explore. Thanks for 25 good years!
Pros
heathy work enivorment
Review Summary
Visitor Experience (Current Employee) –  Corona, NYJune 30, 2015
Opens Monday - Friday 9:30 am - 5 pm
Opens Saturday - Sunday 10 am - 6 pm
Working with your school schedule
Have to wear uniform
Pros
Long breaks
fun learning experience
Work one morning a week as a teaching volunteer (Former Employee) –  Corona, NYJune 19, 2015
management and co-workers were nice

learned how to work with children

most enjoyable part was teaching children new things
Pros
helping people
Nice place to work.
Visitor Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 10, 2015
You will enjoy working here if you're a people person. I enjoyed my time here, I loved seeing the kids eyes light up when they saw an exhibit for the first time. I wasn't a fan of how they train you can get very slow days and just wish more hours were offered.
Educational and kid friendly workplace
Visitor Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 23, 2014
A typical day at NYSCI involves working closely with various departments in order to educate children of science, math and technology through games, hands on activities and workshops.
Made the world of science fun for children and for all
Explainer and After-School Club Leader (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 3, 2014
Cleaned and prepared science exhibits for visitors. Explained different exhibits for visitors to understand and grasp scientific concepts. Gained scientific knowledge and learned how to speak and interact with large groups while making it fun for children. Many co-workers displayed a love and passion for science and were happily willing to help others understand more complicated theories and exhibits. When several school trips were scheduled to come to the museum it was extremely busy. During these times it was difficult to schedule lunch and bathroom breaks. Interacting and participating with children and museum visitors was the most enjoyable part of the job. Knowing that I may have peaked the interest in the ever-fascinating and evolving world of science was extremely rewarding.
Pros
Interacting with children and learning about science
Cons
Hard to take breaks at times
Summer job
Customer Service Specialist/ Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Hall, NYJuly 19, 2014
Pay is for a 12 year old kid but it was fun while it lasted. You learn a lot about these institutions.
Pros
cute coworkers
Cons
pay rate
Mostly dealing with educating children
Works as chaperone and a guide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 24, 2014
The feeling of educating children was a good experience.Although Id rather work with my hands.
fun place to work
Program Explainer (Former Employee) –  Corona, NYMay 23, 2014
work days were entertaining.
i learned a lot of new science concpets
A very nice place to work .
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 12, 2014
i like working here . you learn something new everyday.. people are great. staff is amazing.
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Russian employees feel that they are better than everybody, can't talk to coworkers
Loved It
Early Childhood Resident (Current Employee) –  Corona, NYFebruary 26, 2014
I love working here because there are many growth opportunities, the atmosphere is great, and the coworkers are for the most part friendly, considerate and easy-going. Benefits depend on your status (casual, part-time, or full-time).
SCIENCE MUSEUM - located in Flushing Meadows Park
Assistant Librarian (Former Employee) –  Corona NYFebruary 3, 2014
The BEST place that I have ever worked at.

I was an intern on a team of about 200 of us. We rarely got to see all of each other (about 4x a year) but I was able to work very closely over the years with about 40-50 of them, and very closely with the management / full time employees.

PLAYING WITH PUPPETS

DISSECTING COW EYES

SLIDING DOWN SLIDES in the SCIENCE PLAYGROUND

The hardest part of the job, is waiting in the cold for the kids to get off the bus!!
Pros
Science Career Ladder - CONNECTING with other genius level people!
Cons
S.C.L. started as I was leaving.
rewards you with a fun experience every day
Intern (Former Employee) –  Corona, NYOctober 26, 2013
Everyone would get a schedule that would dictate which exhibit you will be in during a certain time. Teaches you a vast amount of science in an interactive and engaging way. I did not really talk to management so much because i was an intern. i had supervisors and co-workers who accepted me the first day i started working there. They were very supportive as i learned the basics while working there. There was no hard part to the job because i was an intern. The most enjoyable parts were bonding with fellow co-workers and children during activities.
Pros
free lunches and fun activities
Productive and fun
Explainer (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 6, 2013
I enjoyed working at the Hall of Science as an Explainer, I had the opportunity to interact with visitors of all age. I also learned about the exhibits at the Hall of Science and had the opportunity to explore all the exhibits.
Amazing place to work
Program Explainer (Current Employee) –  Corona, NYFebruary 10, 2013
NYSCI has the best work environment and co-workers imaginable.
Pros
excellent work environment
disorganized at best
customer service (Former Employee) –  Corona, NYNovember 21, 2012
It was low paying and demanding. There was no clear structure and it was highly disorganized.
Excessive work and low pay
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Corona, NYAugust 6, 2012
A typical day involved admitting patrons into museum, Providing security of customers property. Conducting sales in gift shop..I've learned to admi ta of high volume of customers. My co-workers were pleasant. management was not too helpful. the most enjoyable part of the job was the end of the shift.
Pros
flexiable hours and long break from work
Cons
not enough pay for high volume of work.
review Hall of Science
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 11, 2012
i volunteered here and it was my first experience of the working world and i enjoyed it because i worked with others to help younger kids and i was young at the time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Hall of Science. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9