New York Institute of Technology

New York Institute of Technology Employer Reviews

Graduate Assistant at NYIT
Graduate Assistant at Learning Center (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 14, 2013
• Scheduled tutoring for the students and tutors and coordinated between them

• Maintained the data of all participants and communication over phone and emails

• Created and Maintained time sheets for tutors

• Tutored undergraduate students
ok place to work for
cook (Former Employee), SAC old westburyOctober 15, 2012
Cons: you have to pay for lunch(any drinks) strict 30 minute break
I worked for NYIT about 2 years ago. I came in expecting to work in their catering area seeing as how I have a degree in culinary arts from CIA my first day they put me a cafeteria where I was frying french fries and chicken fingers I would have rather worked at McDonalds (probably would have had more of a chance to grow and better benefits). they later moved me to the SAC my immediate manager was nice but the three others who were higher up than her were asking of things that were way silly and ridiculous for this area there was barely ever any product to use and they would make us reserve food that had been sitting out and served in a different area of the school. It was pretty much my job to do magic tricks and bend over backwards to make old/bad food edible!! Any ideas i had just got completely shot down!! I WOULD NEVER WORK FOR THIS COMPANY EVER!!
Good Benefits but Unbearably Micromanaged & Political
Assistant Bursar (Former Employee), Old Westbury, NYJuly 23, 2012
Pros: great benefits- including tuition remission for self and immediate family.
Cons: decisions were made on a wholesale level, not case by case leading to unhappy students; management style was not condusive to any employees
Hardest Part of the Job/ Management:
Chiefs out number the Indians!

Unbearably Micromanaged -down to the screen savers, fonts on your computer, when you are "allowed" to leave for lunch, the wording to greet students, what you are to prioritize, etc, EVERYTHING is controlled.

Unbearably Political-The Directors are all best friends and used to work at a bank together before scoring the positions at NYIT. They do not have advanced degrees and feel threatened by those that do.

The collections director comes in at 11:15 AM everyday and leaves at 4:30, but still making FT salary. She will leave in the middle of the day to "go get gas in her car" and come back----which the employees if your one minute late back from lunch, watch out!!~

If anyone speaks up about ANYTHING you are threatened to be written up or bullied that you are not doing your work and spending too much time addressing the issue at hand. Many people do not speak up due to the tuition remission that their children and themselves are taking advantage of which is why is it unfortunately so easy for them to get away with this type of dictatorship.

NO Advancement-I cannot speak for NYIT's other offices, but its almost impossible to get out of Bursar. The Director has very POOR ties with all other departments, even interconnected departments. Any advancement from within is political as well, as one of the Managers Daughters was hired in a management level position over others in the department with years of experience. This violates HR rules, but HR at NYIT as a whole is basically useless, literally, as both Mother – more... & Daughter are still employed there years later after numerous complaints.

Best Parts of the Job:
Co-workers were great, but we were not able to collaborate for the better of the student body and made us feel more like robots!

Helping people understand and make more educated decisions regarding their finances, which shortly before I was faced with the same decisions and valued the help I did receive.

Fast Paced, Keeps you sharp, you develop many skills from writing detail emails to phone etiquette, math calculations, up to date on federal regulations – less
OK
Assistant Professor in ECE (Current Employee), Old Westbury, NYJuly 6, 2012
Overall, the working environment is OK. My reasons for leaving are personal.
Great and fun environment to work in
Student Worker (Director Assistant) (Current Employee), 1849 Broadway 2nd floorMay 29, 2012
Pros: flexible, free food at some events
I'll will get to work at 10:00am or 11:00am depending on my schedule, I'll have to open up all the offices except for the Director and Assistant Director's office. I will check the messages that people left on the answering machine, depending on what it is I will respond to them via e-mail, or phone. If the message is for one of the directors I will inform the directors when they get to work and settled in, on what it is that the message said. Then I will have to check our Facebook page and respond to the many questions students had regarding events on campus and much more. After all that is done I will sit at the desk and help anyone who needed assistance, had questions or concerns.
While working here I learned how to properly answer phone calls, how to accurately write down messages, how to transfer calls, how to talk and handle people of all kinds of backgrounds. I've learned how to be more efficient with Microsoft Office as well as improve on my time management skills. I also learned how to handle many task at one time as well as be able to work at a fast pace when needed.
Management and I are now close friends. They are always pushing me to the best of my ability as well as motivating me and helping me out whenever I have questions. Management trust me and rely on me for many things, even though there were 8 student worker I was one of the 3 they could rely on to always get things done. Management put me in a authority position were I had to make sure students followed the rules and that they were conducting themselves in a proper manner. Management was working on moving – more... me up to work with the campus Dean for the fall semester.
My co-workers were fun to be around we always got our work done and if we had nothing to do we will ask the Directors if anything else is needed to get done, when they responded no we took the time to get to know each other a little more and became great friends and still stay in contact today.
The hardest part about my job was not having enough things to or not coming up with enough things to do. I like to get things done and when that's over with I like to think of others thing to get done or start a project up. That's what I would do whenever there wasn't anything to do I'll start planning events to have on campus.
The mos enjoyable part of the job was being able to grow more as a person and learn more about a office setting, how to be more professional, and always having fun working with my co-workers. Its because of us that many students now want to have the job we have. – less
Overall, excellent place to work!
Assistant Director, Transfer Recruitment (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 26, 2012
Pros: outstanding work/life balance
Cons: compensation is low, to advance, you need a master's degree
In October, it will be two years that I have been working at NYIT. The work environment is exceptional and my team has been supportive on all levels. Higher learning is a very different work environment than the business world, but I have heard horror stories about other institutions. Thankfully, my experience has been a great one!
Awesome Company and environment to work for
Web Designer (HTML) (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 8, 2012
its a niece company with understanding people working in it.
work study program
Treasurer (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 5, 2012
i was in the work study program at my school. theres nothing special about this place
Productive and allowed me to grow
Graduate Assistant, Community Service Center (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 28, 2012
The support at NYIT really allowed me to generate a good understanding of working in higher education. My direct boss is still a mentor.
Overall a good place to be
Student (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 29, 2012
The professors are critical (but in a polite way), and easily accessible either via office hours or email.
Good for grad students looking to make a career out of their lives. or for the more serious students. like every college it has its disadvantages like the admission/registration can be a huge pain. but this is a school thats give you hand-on experience. dont expect jobs to fall in your lap or anything for that matter. you have to look for it yourself... ask around, faculty and students.