New York Life Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work at but it depends on the GO
Recruiting Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 21, 2018
The people are great!
Great training regimen for Agents, RA's, Management, etc.
The workplace culture varies from manager to manager:
The most enjoyable job is being surrounded by people who love their job.
Flexible hours, gym on site,cafeteria on site
Senior Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 20, 2018
Process claims, request and review medical records
Training opportunities
Open door policy
Very diverse family environment
Working in a stressful environment
Knowing you had a part in paying a claim to help a family member
Pros
Gym, cafeteria
Cons
Healthcare
Just.. no.
Representative Policy Administration Department (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 20, 2018
Processing positions are like working on an assembly line. Management does not change and people end up quitting their manager. Promotions are few and far between.
Cut Throat business environment
Investment Adviser Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 16, 2018
Business and management were helpful and available, however the colleagues created a cut throat environment. Was not able to concentrate on my business and financial portion of business was outdated in technology and financial products and strategies available
Pros
Name recognition opened doors easily.
Cons
Cut throat environment
Management Nightmare
SYSTEM CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2018
The company used to be an excellent place to work. I made may friends at work, but the culture changed to negative after 911. The company began to decentralize out of New York City into Westchester, NY, Georgia, and outsource many of its positions to India. When I retired I was doing the work of three people, and not being compensated for it. Management was squeezing us dry while terminating departments, and laying off its oldest employees first.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management
Cut Throat Boss
Customer Service, Secretary and Appointment Setter (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MIFebruary 14, 2018
I was very young when I got hired for this job, and found my boss to be very demanding! He hated being in the office, and made sure I set so many appointments for him, as to accomplish his goal. He was rude, loud, and overbearing, but, I suppose that was just his personality.
Pros
Excellent Pay
Cons
Hard Boss
Great company for sales-oriented careers
Agent in Training (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDFebruary 14, 2018
This is a solid company with a solid reputation. However, the job was not a good fit for me or the company. I received some excellent training and worked hard to obtain my license in health, life, and annuities. The company provides good benefits and pay for those who want to sell life insurance policies and make a lot of money. I retired from the federal government and felt the time was not right to begin a job in this field.
Great Company
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2018
Gave me my first IT position, forever grateful. Started as a entry level programmer. Moved through the ranks quickly. Management could use some work though.
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
Very well compensated but not an easy job
Agent (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 11, 2018
It will take long hours and a lot of work to grow your business however you are well compensated by the company. Also there is plenty of room for advancements in the industry. Would have a strain on relationships because it is a lot of work and a lot of time prospecting.
Commssion only positiion
Registered Representative and Licensed Agent (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 10, 2018
Failure rate in first three years about 90%.

Likely 1st year compensation misrepresented.

Training and product knowledge systems excellent.

Very advanced CRM system developing.

24/7 effort rrequired. There is no time off.

Long-term compensation potential superb.

Must be a very high energy, self-motivated, independent individual who very well organized and able to learn new product and marketing information continuously.
Pros
Extremely competent training and systems
Cons
Most trainees build income on very high volume of small case rates
Hard to Feed the Family
Financial Professional (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2018
A commission-only job is not for the faint of heart. I found cold-calling demoralizing and difficult, and never could drum up enough business to keep the lights on at home. If they promise you a great lead system and clients, don't believe it. They'll train you day and night, but you have to do all the heavy lifting. And even then it may not be enough. The people who excel do so because they have an extensive built-in network or are willing to hit the pavement/phones 16 hours a day.
You are highly reward for your efforts
Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 8, 2018
New York is on of the best Insurance Companies to work for. Its highly competitive, it is a sales, commission job. Their training is second to none, youget to work your own hours,showever you are always on, meaning you are alwasy closing a sale.If you love helping people and really doing your life passion, this is the job. However it takes a while for you to get a jump on it. You have to get yourself in lots of organisations, function always meeting people.
Pros
A great Company behind you
Cons
You get paid strictly commisisions
great people solid company
Life Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2018
a good place to learn the ropes and get great training, the management team makes time to invest in you and does what they can to help you out. Ultimately you are the one who has to make it and management can support you but it comes down to you and do you believe you can accomplish greatness.
Professional
Claims Examiner, Analyst and Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 5, 2018
I learned the importance of and gained satisfaction from keeping the Company's promise to our customers. I learned to treat customers right, pay what we owe, say "no" when necessary
Very fast moving pace, dynamic environment - directions change quickly, so you have to be flexile. Very demanding hours/ no job growth.
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 5, 2018
Training is provides annually. Many resources and tools to continue education and learning.

The workplace is good, generally other employees are helpful and supportive. However, turnover is high and their is very little room for growth.

Worst part - long hours, demanding, and not too good for life balance.

Best part of the job - Compensation and benefits are good.
good oppertunity
Agent (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 5, 2018
hard to advance and earn money. everything is commission based no work hours poor management. Good opportunity for a beginner in the insurance field. very far from home
Great people
Registered Representative (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAFebruary 3, 2018
I enjoyed the people I worked with. I was given the tools to learn and opportunity to study and achieve licensing. The hardest part of the job is prospecting and getting clients of your own.
Pros
manage your own time
good cyber experience
Cyber Threat Intelligence Analyst | Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAFebruary 2, 2018
Will talk face to face, due to the nature of the work cannot talk about it in an open forum. Look at what Insurance companies face on a day to day basis, you will know.
Pros
Work remote
Cons
Some mgt lack leadership skills
Lots of room for advancement and growth
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  420 Lexington AvenueFebruary 2, 2018
My roles was busy and a meeting planner. Lots of logistics and travel. I learned all aspects of meeting planning. Most enjoyable part of the job was traveling to all the beautiful destinations. New York Life is very much a family. You work hard and have some play time and rewards.
Pros
cafeteria, gym and wellness center
Cons
In my role the travel became quite extensive.
Great place to work if you know people who buy insurance
Agent (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 29, 2018
The company has a well-earned reputation for excellence. However the company has a culture that is not well explained to outsiders and is only learned of through the school of hard-knocks, rather than through proper preparation by company partners and leadership.

Effectively, if you know people in the industry and know people who believe in life insurance and financial services who will buy your product, it is a great company to work for. Additionally, commuting expectations were brutal and inappropriate.
Pros
High commission/bonus environment
Cons
No base salary for producers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Life Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings