New York Life Employee Reviews in United States

Focused on results with customer approach
Director, Business Process Manager (Former Employee) –  Westwood, MAJune 3, 2016
Results driven business leader providing innovative management on all facets of technology solutions including; project management, budgeting, solution definition and delivery.

A leader that has created and communicated a vision for technology teams that support business growth and strategy. Extensive process & program management experience, proven track-record in providing transparency with business partners and clients, and the ability to adapt to evolving technologies and changes in the market place.
Fun place
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 6, 2016
Once in a while only go to office, most of he time on field targeting clients. Freindly Management and co workers. Getting new clients is the hardest part after introducing most of your relatives and friends.We used to arrange Booths wherever there is an event nearby. The most enjoyable part is you could always meet new people. Since I was new in US I did not get the right opportunity in my professional field, that is the reason I opted Insurance Sales.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
selling is difficult, not like selling a product
Licensed Agent (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 15, 2016
New York Life is a great place to work. However, due to being compensated purely on commission, it is crucial that you know a lot of wealthy people or people that understand the importance of saving. Otherwise, you will have a very tough time getting any clients without much prior experience in solicitation.
The people that I worked with in the Pensacola office are great. They are friendly, motivational, and helpful. The management people are extremely supportive, they really cared about your career and are willing to go beyond to help.
.Net Developer (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJJune 6, 2016
New York Life is a US-based international financial services company, offering a diverse range of insurance and investment products that meet the needs and goals of our customers. It helps the customers to achieve the peace of mind that comes with planning for lifetime financial security. It is also a leading supplier of group benefits and group retirement and savings plans in Canada, helping employers to protect their employees.
Wonderful environment, lost of incentive and reward
Insurance sales agent (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 11, 2016
Start the day with training classes about products, thourough knowledge of product is very important. Prospecting or recruiting people and booking appointment from leads . Make a presentation, find out more about client financial situation. Filling the application, submitting to the home office and wait for application to be processed. Approved or rejected application, medical appointment with nurse for blood work. Delivery of application and illustration of policy. Learned a lot on potential customer.
Pros
Being paid what you are worth because compensation is based on your production
Cons
Commissions only
Great life/work balance
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sleepy Hollow, NYMay 3, 2016
The company has a great work / life balance by allowing employees to work from home 2 days each week. However, the culture is such that a lot of animosity exist between racial groups from different cultures. This creates a hostile environment where you will not get any assistance from some employees of a different culture and this hinders team work and a team spirit.
Pros
Great work / life policies
Cons
Unprofessional culture
Nice work place Eatery,Gym etc.
Agent (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 9, 2016
This is an extremely hard Gig! If you don't have your Mother,Brother,Cousin,Aunt,Uncle,Father,Nephew,Next door Neighbor,Friend or anyone else you could pitch the products to,just imagine walking up to a complete stranger and start talking about Insurance?Trying to sell Insurance is not for everyone.They will tell you that right up front!
Pros
Dynamite Training! All pro's
Cons
Super Hard to get anyone signed up!
Challenging work and great people made this place great!
Senior IT Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NJApril 6, 2016
Besides working with wonderful people, the best thing about my job would be the scope of responsibilities for my team which allowed me to get great experience on so many platforms and applications, as well as the opportunity to troubleshoot some challenging issues which required a healthy dose of critical thinking and, at times, creative thinking to resolve. Overall, my experiences here have elevated my knowledge and expertise across many different technologies.
Misleading
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 5, 2016
I went to my first interview and was told i would have the support of staff to help with obtaining clients and leads. At the second interview i was told i would be on my own to find my own clients. I had spent 3 weeks now working with this company only to find out that i have to pay for my office space and nothing is offered on return. The tools they gave to find leads are free to everyone and mostly just lead to the use of facebook and linkdin. Very sorry i wasted my time with the company.
Pros
Cons
Misleading
good pay but overworked with little room for advancement
Senior Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 14, 2016
good pay and benefits. Hard to attain new skillset to further your career. Co - workers are great and benefits are good. My life work life balance was not balanced. Too many projects for one person, hard to get help.
Pros
benefits, good pay
Cons
poor managment, poor training in new skill set, overworked, work life balance is off balance

Want to know more about New York Life?

Ask a question
New York Life
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 31, 2016
excellent organization
great work atmosphere
outstanding peers and leaders
opportunity to help people make a positive difference in their lives
learned extensive information regarding retirement options, protecting yourself and your family
most enjoyable the sky is the limit
hardest part is getting people to change their mindsets
Pros
training and freedom
Cons
Typical day at work is Busy.
Claims Processor Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, OHMarch 18, 2016
A typical work day begins at 6am, opening the incoming mail deliveries that are 5 per each day. The mail consist of all type of claims and checks to be process, scanned and indexed to the many other departments in a timely matter. Each co-worker in each department must work together to make sure all work is done before the shift is over. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the clients and having co-workers that are fun to work with and always willing to lend a hand to make sure all work is completed.
Pros
Free meals for employee week
Cons
Sometimes to busy to stop to go to the restrooms.
amazing workplace with strong work relationships
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 19, 2016
a typical day at work requires you to do all that you can to generate leads in a warm market. I learned an incredible amount of information and learn something new each day. The hardest part of the job is relative to each person. For me, a 23 year old working on commission alone, it is tough to get wealthier clients.
Pros
excellent work environment
Cons
commission only
Not Impressed with this company at all
Data Entry/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJFebruary 29, 2016
While some may enjoy a job where they can get paid and do nothing, I personally do not. I literally did absolutely nothing for 8 1/2 hours. I got hired to do data entry/administrative work specific, but was told by management they didnt have time to train me but instead they hired someone else a week later and trained them on the job I got hired to do. They are very bias at the location in which I worked.
Decent company with a so-so atmosphere
Suitability Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2016
I believe this company used to be much better to work for. There is a lot of work, only 45 minute lunch breaks, and the pay is on the low side. Any good worker will get frustrated working here and will eventually look to leave. Management has their heads in the clouds.
Pros
good healthcare coverage
Cons
short breaks, pay
Sales and Leasing Specialist
Life Insurance License Agent (Former Employee) –  New Jersey, Saddle Brook.February 18, 2016
Recently I was working with a Honda of Tenafly which is a family business. The team of leadership is great which keep you focused on the task for the day. However, the organization is growing and making changes as they face the challenges in the industry.
I worked as a team member and the car industry is very competitive which is the hardest part of the job. No matter how good I present the product, the customer still walks away. The most enjoyable moment is when the clients needs are meant and they walk away with the product.
Best work/life balance and a lot of opportunities to grow
Senior Reinsurance/Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  51 MADISON AVE NY NY 10010April 21, 2016
NYL offers many opportunities to learn and grow. Management knows day-to-day employees' issues and handle it very well. Overall, very good company with lots of fun activities. Could be demanding at times but they reward their employees very well.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Excellent products and company.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 9, 2016
I truly enjoyed working at NYLIC. I left to care for my Mother as she needed my me. I love selling insurance. It is a people oriented business and meeting the needs of those I met. With the products and service at my disposal, I was able to do accomplish those objectives
Pros
Protecting people and helping them secure their families
Cons
Time from my Mother
productive and fun
LICENSED INSURANCE AGENT (Former Employee) –  New YorkApril 27, 2016
A typical day is coming to the office on Mondays for meeting first thing in the morning, Making my appointments with my clients to make a presentation about the products that New York Life has and how it would help their family in the event of their demise,
Pros
constantly working
Cons
In the field most of the time.
Training program was not adequate
Agent & Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 20, 2016
NYL has a very low retention rate, due to the poor training for new hires. As a new hire, I felt that my potential was not cultivated by the management. The products are adequate. The culture at NYL is to bring people on board who are looking to be independent financial professional business people.
Pros
Excellent income potential
Cons
New hires are not managed well

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Life. Our community is ready to answer.