New York Life Employee Reviews

Life as an agent
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 16, 2018
Utter chaos if you have never owned a business. Do not advise as your first professional client facing role. With previous experience and a desire to build a business in life insurance sales you will do extremely well.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Autonomy
Culture shock
.Net Developer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 15, 2018
Worst environment I ever worked in. Really weird clique-ish culture like a bad high school movie. Very behind technology wise and happy to stay that way.
Pros
Cons
Backstabbing co-workers, no support from HR, just a real nightmare of a workplace.
Minimal Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 12, 2018
Working at NYL had its up and downs, the job paid well for what they were asking for. The job was very basic and did not require a lot of thinking. If you like repetitiveness then this is the job for you. I noticed that in order to progress within the dept you had to know who to be nice to. You are just a number here. The hardest part of the job is being there all day doing the same exact thing. The most enjoyable part would have to be the hour lunches.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Micromanaged, repetitiveness, unorganized, parking, hours, no-flexibility
Good Company for insurance needs
Agent/ Financial advisor (Current Employee) –  Dewitt, NYFebruary 12, 2018
Be prepared to never have down time where you're not worried about work. On days off, sick days, and vacations I would receive work calls and emails from clients and mangers no matter what I was doing.
Pros
Good managers, Friendly co-workers, plenty of training
Cons
Loud place to be making calls, lots of little expenses you have to put in to start the job
A collaborative and competitive environment
Financial Planning Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 11, 2018
A typical day at work will be work hard during the day and interact with people after work.

I have learned that good efforts make difference. I learned that there is no short cut to success, have to work hard and always prepared.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be doing what we are passionate about and challenging what we don't know.
fast paced and sometimes stressful
Product Owner Related Responsibilities (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 11, 2018
New York Life has an excellent training program. It is a 3 year comprehensive program. A typical day is calling clients and servicing them as needed. Being persistent is the key here. I do enjoy providing solutions to problems or meeting a financial need through the product and services we provide at New York Life.
Amazing place to work
TRAINING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, OHFebruary 11, 2018
One of the best stops along my career, it hurt me to leave due to a move I had to make. I would recommend this job and career to anyone. It was truly the bets place for me to learn and grow.
Pros
The people and culture
Cons
Lower starting salary, sometimes tough to advance
Unhealthy atmosphere
Agent (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 9, 2018
Where do I start. I was contacted by a recruiter about becoming an agent at New York Life and was asked about setting up a phone interview. I said sure. Great. I did the phone interview and I was asked to come in for an interview. I went in for the interview and that lead to two more interviews which to me seemed a bit excessive. They were short interviews and I thought they could've been condensed into one interview. I was told about how great New York Life is and how I would be making boat loads of money. I got offered the position and I took it. You start out by going to training courses and learning about being an agent. You are told to sell to your family and friends which unnerved me a bit. During the training process you are not payed a single dime and when you do make a sell you are not payed right away. You first have to reach a certain threshold and then you get compensated. But wait! When you sell to family members you have to wait even longer to get that money for those sales. After being with the company for a couple of weeks I realized I was duped and that is when I decided to leave and run as far away from this company as my legs could take me. I feel like New York Life needs to reconsider the way they compensate employees. There should be some base pay along with commission instead of 100% commission. You are asked to do too much work for free. If New York Life is in such great financial shape then they can at least afford to pay their agents a respectable base salary.
Pros
Cons
100% commission and misleading
For the right person - Great company
Insurance & Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2018
For the right type of person, NY Life is an amazing company. NY Life provides the resources but, "you eat what you kill" - So only people who are highly self motivated, will succeed.
A work day at New York LIfe
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, OHFebruary 7, 2018
Log in to your computer, check your emails and log in to all the screens necessary to take calls.

Email different departments with information when needed. Continue on with my day answering phone calls, processing partial withdrawals for clients and communicate with your team daily.

Send forms and letters by email or snail mail to clients and always keep a friendly tone and a smile in your voice.
Commission based
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Stratford, CTFebruary 7, 2018
Sales job. If you are independent and have sales skills this may be of interest. Good people but you are on your own. You schedule your day and when to work. Required to be in office for training which can mess up schedule but nothing can be done
All day. Everyday.
Policy Maintenance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 5, 2018
A typical day is everyday. Same sit down and not many if any changes. I learned a lot about team work and how essential it is in that work enviroment.
Mgmt is inconsistant. Since I've been at NYL I've had at least 5 different managers in 4 yrs. Some were and some not so great depending on how well they worked along side the team. Everyone has a different style.
Workplace culture varies by department. Example... being in the Claims dept is starkly different from the Sales and Service dept based on atmosphere alone.
The hardest part of the job is getting more advancement and training!! There's never opportunity to grow within my particular job function.
The most enjoyable are the friends/colleagues hat I've made there and that I know I can trust.
Pros
Listed above
Cons
Listed above
Productive and fun place with a ping pong table
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RIFebruary 4, 2018
Obviously the hardest part of this type of commission only job is prospecting especially cold calling. No one likes it but we do it because it's a crucial part of the job. I loved this job. For me being able to help and instruct people on how to plan for the unexpected and for major occasions plus retirement was my greatest joy.
Pros
Excellent cafeteria, they pay for certifications
NYL experience
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Westwood, MAFebruary 2, 2018
NYL work culture was one that promoted equity and diversity. A typical work day demands were that of promoting company values and contributing to business goals. Management applied a leadership approach, allowing employees at all levels to perform their jobs with a higher sense of professionalism.
it was cool
Licenses Agent (Former Employee) –  Jericho, NYFebruary 1, 2018
requires a lot of your time and energy i didn't hate it but its very sales driven you don't sell you don't eat pretty much much needed product didn't hate it
Full Commission
Financial Services Professional (Current Employee) –  Doral, FLFebruary 1, 2018
It is a great place to work if you can be on your own and work in full commission only.

I loved it there. My personal life got very complicated in the last years. I needed to make a total change.
Pros
Great support, resources, benefits, you do whatever you want with your schedule.
Cons
Full Commission only
Terrible place to work
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJanuary 30, 2018
Terrible place to work. Its essentially a corporate multi level marketing firm. Long hours and stressful days waiting on commissions that often are received a month or two after the initial sale.
Good Place
Agent (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHJanuary 29, 2018
Overall when I was looking for a new path, this fit extremely well. Very cut throat and high turnover. Rewarding job, did not lie to take out death benefits. Enjoyed it over all
Pros
education
Cons
buisness model
They teach you the real value of Life Insurance
Agent / Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 28, 2018
Initial Training is the best in the industry.
Don't believe everything the company tells you, it's always to their benefit and rarely helps the Agent.
Pros
Impressive Business Office, Excellent Life Insurance Policy offerings, NYL counts more products toward awards than competing companies do, financial stability and benefits
Cons
You are left without resources, Agents are misled continually, Very little chance to succeed in the business.
Insurance Company
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 28, 2018
Must be a self-starter and work to grow your network. Key is to truly understand the products that you are selling to your clients, as you need to be sure they are purchasing what is truly right for them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Life. Our community is ready to answer.