New York Life Employee Reviews

Found 1,298 reviews matching the search
Outsourced all IT functions to India
Sr. Associate, Director, Data Center Operations (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NJSeptember 20, 2017
Stay Away, NYL does not value the employee. Company culture is gone, co-workers are timid and afraid to lose their job. Good luck getting support India.
Things are changing, some for better, some for worse
CVP, Application Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2017
I am a veteran of some of the traditional life insurers in NYC and have been at NY Life for 5 years. Overall, I like the company. The company is true to it's mutual mission and tries to what's right for it's customers.
That mutuality has led to some complacency and the company is now trying to catch up on many fronts. Systems and organizations are being revamped. There has been significant changes in IT, with long tenured employees being laid off and functions off-shored to India. We're still working through that and seeing places where the provide has over promised. It's made it hard to get work done at times.
Many people here will lament 'the way this company used to be'. I think that they are mostly unaware of how things are today. The company offers fair pay and good work/life balance in most areas
Pros
NYC location; Cafeteria; Work life balance
Cons
Current pace of change; Processes not completely worked out
Very fast past and I had a wonderful Supervisor
Sr. Agency Compensation Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2017
I Love working there and I Love what I did being apart the the New Hires, Transfer and making sure they were paid on time and any changes that might had occurred.
Great training
Registered Rep and Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MASeptember 19, 2017
Great training and education with a great company. For the right person who likes a sales driven career that is centered around helping others it can be the perfect fit.
Great
Agent (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 18, 2017
The company is a wonderful place to build a sales career. Education of their agents is incomparable. The atmosphere is great and conducive and encouraging.
fast pace, teamwork, competitive
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  glenddale, caSeptember 18, 2017
I believe New York Life is a great company to work for if not the best but this is for someone that wants to pursue a career as a financial advisor. It is also extremely challenging but it is based solely of commissions only..
Pros
learned alot of useful information for my financial future
Cons
comission based only
I'd rather not comment
Life and Financial Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COSeptember 18, 2017
Great training
Really need to have a good list of names to work with at first and a substantial amount of funds to live off of on the side in the beginning
great company
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDSeptember 18, 2017
great company the job is awesome good benefits set your own hours and cultivate your own clients. Commitment to running your own business is essential for this career
una de las mejores
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Doral, FLSeptember 17, 2017
una de las mejores companias de seguros de vida, siempre te ayudan , no hay mezquindad, buen ambiente de trabajo y crecimiento muy rápido de acuerdo a tu desempeño
IT Business Analyst/Developer- Illustrations Group (Former Employee) –  Sleepy Hollow, NYSeptember 17, 2017
Great work environment and colleagues. This was a consulting role and I felt welcome from the day I arrived. I highly recommend New York Life whether as a consultant or as an employee.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Place sucks
New York Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Mount Sinai, NYSeptember 16, 2017
Cut through no help is given. They cast you out into the wild and almost none survive. It is terrible for so many reasons. People come and go faster then Normandy beach
An insurance agent.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJSeptember 16, 2017
The responsibility of an insurance agent is to find clients/customers and develop a rapport and trust so that the customers' financial needs to be addressed and protected using products that have been designed for specific application. It is a time-consuming and a hard work business. An insurance agent must create a client base or book of business in order to operate efficiently with a satisfactory income. It needs at least 10 to 12 hours of work per day initially, but once the business started, the referral and income are going to follow. An agent who works for a company must produce a certain amount of income quarterly. The management is going to monitor agents activities and requests to attract more clients to the company. Failure to produce minimum company's requirement premium is going to affect the agent's contract with the financial institution.
Pros
Relax work if you have enough quarterly premium.
Cons
To find population that can afford monthly premium with out cancelling a policy.
New York Life
Corporate Vice President (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXSeptember 15, 2017
Initially, the position was very interesting and a lot of support from colleagues. After restructuring, our new managers were sales people, not consultative or planning people. They did not understand what we did and tried to fit everything into a sales package, which is generally a very sophomoric way to approach wealth and business succession planning. Most enjoyable part of job was working with other attorneys who were experienced and loved discussing projects.
NYL career is ideal for outgoing, thick skinned individuals
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PASeptember 15, 2017
Training and tools to do the job were excellent.
Access to Technical Support was also good
Processing of policies is within guidelines
Access to subject matter experts was is dependent on sales volume
Great company for right individuals
Agent (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 15, 2017
This is a great company with an opportunity to start your own business and be successful in financial services area! Training is awesome and ongoing. Great management!
it is a commission based job
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 13, 2017
it is a commission based job , do not go if you need check to pay the rent by next week.you need at least 3 month to build up your connection b/t your clients (no check for 3 month)
no minimum base, no leads no anything, but well trained, you will be learning a lot thing about life insurance/ retirement planing
BUT ONLY THING THEY PUSH YOU DO IS SELLING LIFE INSURANCE!!!!!!
Too much busy work, not enough field guidence
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CASeptember 13, 2017
There was no help in generating leads - it is 100% on the agent to create your own book of business. 15 hours a week was mandatory meetings, continuing education and no time spent in the field.
Pros
Classy support materials &marketing
Cons
too competitive
Great for the strongly self motivated
Agent (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CASeptember 12, 2017
An agent is a pure sales job. Great if you are strongly self motivated and have a large network to draw from. Less so if you are less motivated or have a smaller pool of people to sell to.
Just need a change
Client Communications Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2017
There are making changes in positive direction to move in the 21st century. I personally need a change. I don't feel challenged in my position and not supported by my manager who does not have time for me.
Slack boring job
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDSeptember 11, 2017
Sometimes very quiet and boring. Had 2 bosses that were total opposites. One of them was very particular and the other was very relaxed and kicked back.
Pros
Good hours and good amount of vacation.
Cons
My raises consisted of them soaking up the increases in my health insurance premiums.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Life. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval