New York Life

New York Life United States Employee Reviews

Good Work Enviorment
Insurance Agent (Current Employee), Hilton Head Island, SCApril 17, 2015
Typical work day consisted of visiting 5-10 businesses and handing out business cards. Afterwards called on prospects to set up meetings to discuss current life insurance needs.
Working for this company was extremely challenging, and fun.
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTApril 14, 2015
Pros: Good benefits, bounces for learning and taking classes in insurance.
Cons: I can not thiInk of any cons. This company was great. I left to raise a child, and working was not financially practical.
processed mail for all agents and staff. Enter applications for insurance that would come in.Assisted with phones when needed. Processed deposits, and took to the bank. Helped agents, and customers with questions. Did inventory on supplies on a weekly basis. This company was constantly cross training in every position, which is what made it challenging and fun. All co-workers were very enjoyable
Stay away from this company!
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKApril 10, 2015
You are expected to create your own book of business without any help. Unless you are buddy,buddy with the management, you don;t get any "bones" thrown at you. They only provide you with leads, if you are in "their" circle of friends. You are told that the company doesn't like to micro manage, but that's only because all the management team does is micro-manage! They tell you they are going to pay training allowance, but make it impossible to obtain. You can work 40 hours in one week and not get paid. And you are forced to go to their mandatory meeting with out pay.
A company that provides benefits and job security
Senior Service Associate (Current Employee), Parsippany, NJApril 10, 2015
Pros: The building has a gym and as an employee you can use the gym.
Cons: Work/life balance
A typical day at work is taking inbound phone calls from mutual fund shareholders and agents that sell our mutual funds. I have learned a lot over the years about the financial markets. The most challenging part of the day is dealing with the emotional component of investing and easing clients concerns. The most enjoyable part of my day is resolving issues for shareholders and agents by teaching them new ways to manage their accounts.
Excellent employer, great culture and people.
Vice President, Relationship Management (Current Employee), Parsippany, NJApril 9, 2015
I enjoy working for New York Life very much. They are an extremely ethical & stable financial services firm that I feel good about representing.
Great Place
Summer Consultant (Former Employee), Westchester, NYApril 3, 2015
Great place to work, very family oriented. Every single employee is willing to help and extend their expertise. Even as the company expands rapidly, the atmosphere is fun and exciting.
Horrible experience; Deception and Bribery
Financial Consultant (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDApril 2, 2015
Pros: If you have rich friends, it's easy money
Cons: Everything, charge you for leads, lie constantly, basically put you in a cubicle and say good luck
New York Life had a lot of promises, none of which were kept. My manager was not only rude to me on a daily basis, he provided no critical feedback. He refused to listen to calls I made, or help me solicit. He then blamed me for poor results, claiming I wasn't following the scripts. Ultimately I was bribed into making a deal I was uncomfortable with, which is costing me a ton of money. The manager still works at the office.

Learning meetings were a joke. The same things were constantly repeated. They almost never went over actual details of products. Most people didn't even go to the meetings because they were complete wastes of time.
Great place to learn finance
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Brea, CAApril 2, 2015
Pros: You make your own schedule no set hours, plenty to learn
Cons: Commission only
Amazing job, learned a lot, great support, plenty of freedom regarding income. The education is never ending and they are always setting up classes to give you hands on training.
Overall Experience
Senior Specialist IV (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 1, 2015
New York Life Insurance Company provides a great work life balance. There are several different areas across the company to work in.
strong company
Financial Services Professional (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 1, 2015
New York Life is a very strong and reputable company but along with any other commission based job it is tough to make it in this career.
Productive work place
Assistant/Recruiter (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYMarch 31, 2015
New York Life Insurance company is a great company to work for. It is very productive company to be a part of, there is an ability to grow and expand your career.
Great workplace environment
Senior AML and Privacy Compliance Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 30, 2015
Management at NYL really helped me grow as a person. They really helped me expand my knowledge in AML. Taught me the ropes of the corporate world.
Fun workplace but poor management
Member Services III/Sales (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Free Lunches
Cons: Extremely high call volume
It was a high stress, poor management, missing overtime pay and night differential. The work environment had a low moral and low energy. Sad and stressful.
New York Life
Agent (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Training, nice people, products
Cons: scheduling, long hours, cold calling if you do not have a warm market, i.e. family, friends and neighbors willing to help you get started in a new career
New York Life offers the best training and overall support in helping new agents succeed. However, I found that as much as I like the products, getting started in a cold market was not for me. The people I worked with and met through NYL very nice and often very helpful.
Not for the faint at heart
Agent (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Financial strength, a large staff of knowledgable and seasoned staff.
Cons: Too many variables that you can not control
Has changed significantly in the last few years, from a beneficent, proud-to-be-here employer to a keep-your-head-down, "what shoe is going to drop next" environment. As others have observed, continual staff cuts (latest one announced will basically outsource most of IT, cutting 2,000 jobs). Employee population has basically broken into two groups, grizzled veterans who are reworking their financials so they can retire as soon as possible, and young new recruits who are struggling to determine what they've gotten themselves into.

100% Commission, 100% Cold calling, No Leads
Not sure how people make it
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), LathamMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Decent training, company reputation
Cons: 100% Commission, subsidy sounds nice but the steps to get it are not explained, Management does not have enough time to help.
This can't really be considered a job, they will hire just about anyone with a bachelor's degree and make them promises that they can't keep.

I was told this was a fast track to management program, that was a lie, I got there my first day of training and there were about 10-15 other recent college graduates were in the same position I was in.

I was also told that you get a subsidy while you are getting your feet wet with selling policies. Okay, here is the truth. You start off, you're not making money by the way, you have to study for your NYS Life, Accident and Health exam, it is self study, then you have to pass their test to make sure you can pass the state exam, then you have to pass the NYS exam ($40 you pay, they reimburse). That process will take about a month. Then you sign the contract with them, that will take another month, again you're not making money during this time but have to show up for trainings and other events. So you're 2 months in if you're lucky to have your contract pushed through quickly, then you must sell $10,000 worth of life insurance premium and have it close before you start earning the subsidy. Unless you know rich people who need $500,000 policies, it will likely take you 3-5 strong policies to qualify for that. The life insurance process takes a solid month to close because medical records are needed and a medical exam. So even by the earliest number if everything worked out, you are at month 3 still not making any income.

Many agents are then forced to sell people policies they might not need just to earn a living. I am really – more... not sure how anyone makes it. I did receive some good tips on selling in training. The training manager seemed to get it. Unfortunately, it was only him and the head manager, trying to help 20+ reps get started in their career, they just couldn't help everyone.

When I left, I had not sold a policy and was only there for 2 months, I got a much better insurance job, it took them 3 months to cancel my appointment there, and they kept ducking my calls. It was not very professional. – less
Pretty good
New Business Representative (Current Employee), Fort Collins, COMarch 22, 2015
I still work here. It is a great place to work, but not career savvy if you are an employee (not an agent). There is great support, but not much room for growth.
hard
Licensed Agent (Former Employee), new yorkMarch 19, 2015
It is really hard if you have no family around to be your clients to help get your business off the ground. a lot of cold calling as a result.
Run like a small village...not a Fortune 100 business
CVP (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 19, 2015
Pros: kind culture, good benefits, good life/work balance
Cons: anti-innovation, hierarchical, lack of diversity in leadership
The company is very ethical, risk adverse and SLOW to make any meaningful changes. Great for a life insurance company and since life insurance is not a target for more innovative solutions, they can survive for many years with the lack of visionary leaders. They are run like a small village and how you get along with your neighbors is more important than getting things done. Villages tend to run on gossip and not data...
That being said, it is a company that likes everyone to get along and is not a jerk culture. It is simply hierarchical and stodgy.
a job that felt like family
Insurance Representative (Former Employee), Louisville, KYMarch 16, 2015
A usual work day for me began with reading emails, returning messages and checking work from the previous day. Throughout the day, I would review and input applications, educate new agents on how the procedures worked within the company, consult with agents, clients and employees from different departments within the company, process daily financial transactions and do monthly reports.

During my eight years with this company, I was fortunate to work with some amazing people that became to be like family. We shared stories, met outside of work with our families for activities, took lunch together. This also includes my relationship with management.

While I was with New York Life, I became skilled at monthly reports and training new agents. I feel that my customer service skills improved vastly along with my ability to multi-task.

During my employment, I was fortunate to become the lead instructor for new agents when they were first hired and were learning procedures. This was both the most enjoyable and hardest part of my job.

1 2 3 4 5

About New York Life

New York Life Insurance has been providing life insurance policies in the Big Apple since it was a tiny seed. While the top mutual – Read more

New York Life Photos