New York Life Employee Reviews

Licensed Agent (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 15, 2016
New York Life is a great place to work. However, due to being compensated purely on commission, it is crucial that you know a lot of wealthy people or people that understand the importance of saving. Otherwise, you will have a very tough time getting any clients without much prior experience in solicitation.
The people that I worked with in the Pensacola office are great. They are friendly, motivational, and helpful. The management people are extremely supportive, they really cared about your career and are willing to go beyond to help.
Owning a Financial Services Business
Financial Services Professional (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CADecember 1, 2016
Opportunity to learn about your strengths and weaknesses and develop a business that is flexible. Unlimited opportunity for growth. Hardest part is that you are solely responsible for your own destiny. You must constantly be in front of new people to build your business. Overall a positive work environment with unlimited support available to you from mentors, trainers and management. I love that I get to decide who I work with and in what fields.
Pros
unlimited opportunity
Cons
commission only position
Great Company!
Licensed Agent (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXDecember 28, 2016
Great management and sales training! Leader in the financial industry!
I recommend for anybody looking for a career in financial sales!
Nice perks! Go for it!
Pros
It was tough in regards to work/life balance
Marketing & Administration (Current Employee) –  Johnston, RIAugust 15, 2016
I would suggest anyone looking into to Territory Sales with this company to expect 80% weekly travel. It is expected and the norm. I would also let anyone thinking about this career to know that work/life balance is hard to have
Pros
decent bonuses
Cons
lots of overnight travel
job outsourced after 12 years
COMPUTER OPERATIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  alpharetta georgiaNovember 14, 2016
Company paid training was a perk, which lead to increased knowledge in the work place. monitoring the LAN/WAN environment for the corporate network. Rotating shifts was one of the difficulties of the job. My co-workers were knowledgeable, professional and team oriented. Learned a great deal about F5, DNS, DHCP and emerging technologies as well as customer facing applications. IP management experience was greatly enhanced due to use of IPAM and INFOBLOX tools.
Pros
pay doesnt always match performance
Cons
job outsourced
A solid company that knows how to do business.
Senior Representative, Claims Department (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 24, 2016
I would take reports of death or disability from clients, beneficiaries and agents over the phone. I would also assist those same people with claims that were already in progress.

I learned how to deal with frustrated callers with empathy and courtesy while navigating computer systems at he same time. I learned how truly multi-task.

My manager worked tirelessly for my co-workers and I. She ensured we had the resources we need when we needed them.

The hardest part of the job was assisting people to the best of my abilities while following all the privacy procedures and laws that can really seemed to tie my hands at times.
Pros
great pay and benefits.
Cons
tense work environment
Productive and busy workplace. Enoy dealing with people and helping them understand their life insurance policies.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, OHDecember 26, 2016
Worked in the call center answering approximately 100 calls daily. Learned something new everyday either from my co-workers or my bosses which I really loved. The management were very knowledgeable and also helpful with any of the representatives needs. I always enjoyed turning challenges into desirable outcomes for my customers.
Can you survive with reliably, uncertain income? If so, THIS is your gig!
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 4, 2016
The company itself is great. Training is phenomenal, depending on the General Office you are connected to and your Managing Partner's involvement with your development.

IF you can you survive with reliably, uncertain income, THIS is your gig! Because you're dependent upon your ability to "sell" and people, your compensation is never "guaranteed" or reliable. If fact, your accrued earnings can be wiped from your ledger, if a client doesn't pay their premium and your "advance" already spent.

If you're of the "sales" mindset, this is a good gig; if not, don't forfeit your peace of mind.
Pros
Unlimited earning potential
Cons
100% compensation based on commission
benefits
Sales Representative/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 7, 2016
this company yas great benefits the management isn't too great good company for advancement opportunity the locations is near the airport
Productive and fun place to work
Agent (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORAugust 30, 2016
Fun place to work, I really enjoy the work environment that this company has a great culture. The management and training is the best I've ever seen before.
Good company, but know exactly what you're getting into
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAJuly 19, 2016
New York Life is a good company, but make sure you understand the reality of what the job will look like when you get there. You have to want to sell insurance, since the compensation incentives pushes you to focus heavily on that part of your business. If you're willing to drink the cool aid, you can absolutely be successful.

The hardest part of the job is reaching out to Friends and Family when you're getting your business off the ground. Your activity level has to be high, since they pay zero salary, and that makes it hard to get through the first year without taking some focus off of client relationship development, and increasing focus on closing.
Pros
Freedom, Resources, Learning
Cons
No Salary, High Pressure Environment
As a sales agent that depends my entire salary on commission, it is extremely difficult to be successful.
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  New Windsor, NYAugust 10, 2016
As a sales agent, I depended my entire salary on commission so you are only paid on what you bring in. However, they don't really give you any help or tools to be successful. They tell you to go to your friends and family to bring in business and rely on referral from them. However, once you are past your inner circle, it is very difficult. I must say though if you are able to generate a lot of business, you can be very well compensated for it. The company just doesn't give you much help in leads or anything like that.
Lead Engineer- Security Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2016
Learn new technologies. Ability to advance careers within the organizations. Good culture and a lots of opportunities to climb the corporate ladder
Produce or Perish...
Agent/Producer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 2, 2017
Extraordinary amount of training requirements. Very fast paced, established routines that make or break your success. Follow the plan. Top Manager is outstanding. Co-workers are competitors, therefore, the sub-culture is understandable. Hardest part of the job is not earning a paycheck. Helping families was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Commission sales
Cons
Commission sales
Culture at New York LIfe
Contract Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 29, 2016
Since working as a contract graphic designer at New York Life
from March to present, the atmosphere has been great. We have
daily morning meetings to discuss work updates, daily tasks for
each person in different positions and use a project management
tool called APrimo which has worked pretty well receiving job
tasks and also keeping up with time management, etc.

The design team are friendly, knowledgeable and hands on here.
There is plenty to learn here, especially with all the branding and
identity guidelines and how to apply them to each job worked.

I feel this team are very helpful even when you need to figure
something out, they are there to guide you and are easy going.
I definitely recommend working for them!
Pros
scope of work as a graphic designer, atmosphere, learning, project management tools, etc.
productive and fun place to work for while making decent income
Agent & Financial Service professional (Current Employee) –  1983 MARCUS Ave, suite 210, Lake Success, NY 11042July 25, 2016
I made one of the best decision of my life to Join New york Life. I got several awards and recognition. I have done the right thing for my family and my Career Advancement. I made $72000 which was $22000 more than my previous Job as a school Director. i am very Happy. I strongly recommend everybody who wants a career to give it a shot. Be open minded. Nothing to Loose.
Pros
Great Training & Mentor
Cons
N.A
Excellent people with a positive environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KSJune 28, 2016
My typical day consisted of checking my email for any urgent issues that require my attention.

Then I'll check all of the local conference rooms to see if there are any meeting that require special arrangements such as a laptop for the wall-mounted displays or a different seating arrangement.

Depending on the workload of the day I'll work on expense reports or make any necessary travel arrangements for the executives I worked with.

All the while I'm answering incoming calls, greeting visitors, answering questions, ordering supplies, or any number of clerical tasks.

It's a great company and the people I worked with were very upbeat and professional. It contributed to a positive work environment.
Pros
Great people, productive environment
Cons
Micro-managing Supervisor
Old company that keeps traditions
Senior Benchmarking Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NJNovember 1, 2016
A good company to work for that does a lot for the surrounding communities and has a great work life balance; if you like a fast paced environment then you should look elsewhere; loved the half day Friday policy in the summer time
Pros
Work life balance; mutual company
Cons
Takes a long time to accept change; slow paced environment
Great job. great Management Team to take you where you want to go
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  New Windsor, NYNovember 21, 2016
The management at this employer is amazing. They provide step by step , hand held process for new hires. There is no guessing on what to do next, because there is always someone to help you get to the next . It is hard work becoming an agent as it is difficult to build a client list
Productive workplace
Agent Assistant (Current Employee) –  Spring, TXJanuary 10, 2017
Management and co-workers are great. I was kept very busy which is good thing; many opportunities to learn and grow. The hardest part of the job was learning the terminology of insurance. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping clients.
Pros
Boss buys lunch at least once a week; casual Fridays
Cons
1099 and healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Life. Our community is ready to answer.