New York Life

New York Life Employer Reviews

Professional and fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Franklin, TNJuly 16, 2014
Customer service/marketing/enjoyable meeting people, making a difference in not only there lives, but their families
I learned advanced bookkeeping
Life Insurance Agent Contracting Administrator (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 16, 2014
Pros: i learned to be more detailed oriented.
The owner was very patience and a good teacher. I learned a lot.
Productive work place
Administrative Assistant/Clerk III (Former Employee), DallasJuly 15, 2014
Pros: great work environment.
Cons: work can sometimes be limited.
Company is very detailed oriented. Direct supervision is administered. High volume of work.
work
Agent (Current Employee), valley fordge paJuly 15, 2014
they require too many hours in the office training. commission only, so your not compensated for your time in office
Not an ideal career move during recessional period
Financial Representative (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 12, 2014
Pros: the technology
Cons: low returns during recession
A typical day would be getting leads
I've learned the language of soliciting business
Management was following strict protocol but during the recession there nothing they could do. Even offering you existing lead offer little to no incentives.
Medium to high turnover rate
The hardest part of the job was walking and driving to solicit business for months – more... and going almost bankrupt with your savings to pay for gas and skipping lunch.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the access to technology. – less
negative management
OFFICE COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJuly 12, 2014
The company as a whole is great but minimal advancement and local management are Micromanagers
Awesome place to work, happened at the wrong period in my life
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAJuly 9, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduld, unlimited earnings
Cons: commission only, reliance on your network of people to get clients
The culture and possibilities working here are awesome, unfortunately I was fresh out of college and wanted a paycheck instead of a commission check. I believe it would be a solid job for me now a days.
do not take this job
REGISTERED FINANCIAL REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJuly 8, 2014
Pros: you can make 40k in a day on one sale
Cons: you can be in bankruptcy fast
they hire anyone with a pulse...... i spent 6 years as an agent....make over 6 figures for 3 of the years...... management was horrible.....they gave horrible advise, told me numerous lies....all to pad their pockets. when u need help ur on your own.
Great Company
Account Executive/Agent (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 8, 2014
Great Company, great brand, established company. The management in the SF/SJ area is a bit transactional and serves a large portion immigrant sales force, so sometimes, it can be sophomoric. But, they are motivated, you just have to overlook the lack of professionalism at this General Office. The SJ and SF offices recently split, so not sure what that – more... has done to the culture. The NY Life corporate culture in these GO's is definitely not the typical. – less
A Company with good culture and people
Senior Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 7, 2014
Overall it is a good company. However, it is hard to advance or move between groups. The organization is very much the old school vertical structure, the upside down pyramid where there are more managers doing the talks than staff doing the work. Although they tried to so-called flattening the organization, it pretty much failed in a lot of the departments – more... or business units, which only created more confusion and no improvement. Management is demanding, which sends mixed messages to employees, it's good that it pushes the a lot of talented good people to do quality work and own it, but at the same time, work/life balance is lost, opinions/feedback are ignored. There are a lot of good people in the company, but it's sad that the company doesn't retain a lot of them as before due to lack of opportunities for moving around the company and advancing. Although they promote diversity, only certain (personality and else) types can advance in reality.

The positive is that you get to work with many talented and nice people, there are all age groups to connect to , there are many networking events, speeches from internal and external speakers about different topics, training classes, charity events offered throughout the year. And the job is secured, there are many employees who have/had been with the company for 30+ years.

The company offers half day Fridays in the summer, allows early dismissal the day before holidays, there is a free gym and a medical center, and the location at flatiron is convenient. – less
Excellent benefits, flexible schedule
Underwriter (Former Employee), TampaJuly 4, 2014
Great company with great benefits. Learned a lot of medical terminology, how to read medical records, and database management. Hardest part of the job was being on the phone most of the day.
Great Work/Life Balance, Little opportunity for advancement
Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 26, 2014
NYL is a good company to work for. Decent job security and great work/life balance. People are generally nice and helping, however there's little room for advancing my career.
Creative
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 25, 2014
Working with NYL has helped me to be creative in the way I market their products.
Not the same company it was when I started there in 2005.
Representative (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 25, 2014
Pros: salary
Cons: managers who don't know the job, no ladder to climb, health insurance, more work than hours in the day
It used to be a great company to work for. The benefits were good, the pay was too, there was actually a ladder to climb. Most of the employees had been with the company for 30-40 years. They got rid of those folks in the last few years and now the turn over rate is out of control.
Work a lot
FINANCIAL ADVISER (Former Employee), Glendale, CAJune 25, 2014
It was a non stop work flow! no such thing as a day off with this company! be ready to have zero life forever
Really care for their employees
Licensed Insurance Agent & Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJune 23, 2014
Inbound call center. Few opportunities for advancement. Was able to create and establish a good client base for investments and insurance products
Awesome work enviornment and great people to work for.
Agent (Former Employee), Portage, MIJune 23, 2014
Pros: worked with awesome people and great training.
Cons: not a steady source of income. alot of travel at personal expense.
I have never had the privilege of working someplace I loved as much as I did with New York Life. The people I worked with were awesome. The team spirit that was embedded in this company shined through with everything we did. The training that was put in place was very well done. Due to the amount of income going out as opposed to coming in, I was forced – more... to leave with the option to go back. It is difficult to start a career as an insurance agent without significant backup funds. But it was an amazing learning experience that I have gained a great deal of knowledge from. – less
Great work environment with a great culture
Financial Services Professional (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 21, 2014
I love New York Life. It's a fortune 500 company and a great place to grow and build a career. I learned all the tools of prospecting, phone skills, referrals, event planning, follow ups, case prep, etc. The management team always held trainings and they were always informative and enlightening. My co-workers were great. We helped each other refer clients – more... and work on cases together. The hardest part of the job is prospecting and setting 10-15 appointments a week. The most enjoyable part is setting your own schedule and having an unlimited income stream. – less
Great People
Service Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 17, 2014
take inbound calls, up to 100 calls per day
scored on service w/ third party company (DALBAR)
work with other areas to ensure smooth transactions
exchange, redeem, purchase trades
provide excellent customer service
mentor new hires
Great training provided to New Organization Agents
Registered Representative (Current Employee), Bellevue, WAJune 15, 2014
Pros: partial control of schedule
Cons: micromanagement is some cases, no base pay
A typical day at work is really up to the Agent. You have to be very proactive when it comes to being familiar with the tools necessary to succeed. The management is very good about maintaining contact with each agent and is willing to help when necessary. The most difficult part of the job is trying to build a business without any base pay. The best – more... part about this career is the relationships you can build with your clients and prospects and the capabilities you develop in financial knowledge. – less

About New York Life

New York Life Insurance has been providing life insurance policies in the Big Apple since it was a tiny seed. While the top mutual – Read more

New York Life Photos