New York Life

New York Life Employer Reviews

A great culture and environment to work
Office of Risk Management and Chief Actuary (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 23, 2014
A typical day at work involves getting to work at 9am at which point I open my work email and begin to check both email and then voicemail. In the process of doing that I look over my boss's calendar that I printed out the day before and check my email for any documents related to his meetings. The morning part of my responsibilities usually involve – more... making sure he is on time for meetings and is prepared. I also work a lot on his PowerPoint presentations, just making sure of the wording, clarity and overall presentation. The second part of my day I usually dedicate to projects I am either working on with others or that I have complete responsibility over. Many which involve team meetings.
Working here for the last six years has been very rewarding.

I have learned a whole new world, considering I left education to come into the business world. I have learned about FINRA state regulation, project management, persistency, team work, time management.

I have amazing co-workers who are great to work with. The one thing I can tell you is that New York Life has an amazing culture and great people.

I don't find that my job is hard but challenging, which I greatly appreciate. A challenging job helped me to utilize my skills and also improve on my skills.

The most enjoyable part of my job has been the interaction one gets while working on teams etc, the challenges that allow for creative solutions. – less
I enjoyed what I did
Secretary/Office Manager (Former Employee), Mansfield, OHSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
I enjoyed what I did and working with the public and agents, It was over 25 years ago.
Fair place to work
EForms and ESignature Application Development (Current Employee), Sleepy Hollow, NYSeptember 22, 2014
Fair place to work. Great for advancing your career. Would recommend it to others
New York Life Insurance Co.
Agent (Current Employee), Providence, RISeptember 18, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers and manager, create own work schedule, marketing events, working in your natural market, free leads
Cons: commission based job, not always sure where new names are coming from, unsure of where next sale is coming from, getting people to see the value of our work
At New York Life Insurance Company a typical day consists of a morning review of your last week and planning your current week. Then phone calls for the morning and later in the afternoon around 50 Dials and making appointments for people in your natural market. My manager will help me at the beginning of an appointment to review what questions I should – more... ask and how I should present.

I have learned about Life and Health insurance and what those consist of in a general basis in order to be able to explain it to others. I also have learned a lot about the insurance and investment industry and how the market works when it comes to investing your money and saving for retirement. All of the information I have gathered and learned at New York Life will stick with me for the rest of my life because it is so important to think about the future and plan for things that may happen, which are aspects of life that I did not know about or appreciate before.

The hardest part of the job is getting new names of people to call and work with, also getting people to appreciate the work we do as a company and me as an agent. I think that most people just see me as a sales person and don't think they have to say yes even though Life Insurance is something every needs and can benefit from.

The most enjoyable part of this career is the people I work with on a daily basis. Most of my co-workers are funny and charismatic about the job and that really helps to motivate me to want to do well and continue to put my best foot forward. – less
An excellent and well-managed company
Corporate VP: Digital Media / Customer Experience (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 18, 2014
NYL is a very impressive mix of conservative value-driven company with a healthy appetite for test and learn innovation.
Representative (Current Employee), Jericho, NYSeptember 16, 2014
Everyday is a different task. Very productive and friendly work environment.
Very Good Company to work for
Administrator, ERISA Services (Current Employee), Westwood, MASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: great company to work for.
Cons: turmoil within the company, unknown changes in the pipeline and near future.
I am currently employed at NYLIM, Retirement Plan 401(k) and Pensions divison. I am an ERISA Administrator. My daily functions include handling of all legal and QDRO requests sent to the department for review and processing. I have been employed here for almost 5 years. I work with plan sponsors, management team, ERISA Consulting team and all internal – more... RPS areas. I enjoy my job. I am seeking employment outside due to turmoil. The company is undergoing management changes which leave employees like myself with no other alternative but to explore outside opportunity. – less
NEW YORK LIFE CULTURE
Bank Teller (Former Employee), Mobile, ALSeptember 14, 2014
sales environment cold calls and generate your own leads. good training though
Great company
Accounts Specialist (Former Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: great benefits
This is a great company to work for I was there for over 15 years. Great benefits and vacations.
A good atmosphere to work in.
Desktop Support Engineer Level II (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 11, 2014
As part of a team we help each other with any problems we server our clients with respect to there problems. not only did we go to desk side we also had phone in problems in which we would log in to client system to repair it. I learn a lot from from the more experience engineers I enjoyed what I did every day was a different path in solving problems.
Great oppurtunity
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), Westwood, MASeptember 9, 2014
Great workplace one once in a lifetime opportunity the order of operation is sorta out of whack there though.
great place
Licensed Client Services Provider (Current Employee), City of Sunrise, FLSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: great work enviroment
learned about the importance of life insurance. Love working with clients and agents.
Professional workplace where autonomy is respected
Intern (Former Employee), Irvine, CASeptember 5, 2014
Pros: great training, worked with my school schedule, gave me the opportunity to realize i want to work in personal finance
Cons: commission only, not competitive in term insurance products, products may not be suitable to the client or in the client's best interest (no fiduciary duty)
I worked through an internship program for 1 year.

I learned a lot about the life insurance industry. I was sponsored to get licensing (Life/Health). I was given the ability to sell insurance if I wanted to, but was not required to do so because of the nature of the intern position.

I was mostly responsible for completing marketing assignments for – more... a senior agent. Cold calling, social media marketing, online newsletters, e-mail and direct mail campaigns, and even live booth events.

I really enjoyed learning about the financial planning process and the role insurance can play in an individual's portfolio.

I had access to very state of the art training and development resources via online agency portal and was able to attend multiple professional seminars to further my learning in advanced insurance and tax strategies.

Note: this experience was very unique when considering individuals who were directly hired. As an intern there was no pressure from management to sell products, even though I could still gain commissions on the sales if I did. I was primarily there to assist established agents not to start my own business. When you are a new contract agent you will be pressured to sell products or else you will be asked to leave after 3-6 months.

All coworkers were very friendly, but there is definitely a competitive feel. Everyone is essentially working for themselves and in business for themselves. Support is there from other agents, but it will have to split commissions for any help you receive from another agent. Managers are sometimes too busy to aid agents or the client may be too small. In these cases, support from a senior agent will be required and commissions will be spit. – less
Good for growth
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: good pay, flexible schedules, some good managers
Cons: mandatory over time and very repetitive
NYL is a highly rated life insurance with a conservative business culture. The Tampa division of NYL is a company that encourages personal growth and development. There are many al la carte trainings and learning oportunties for growth within the company as well. Good pay for entry level positions. Any customer service positions are not with its drawbacks – more... but NYL does have flexible schedules and understanding managers for some personal situations. – less
Relationship Manager Financial Services (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: manage your own time
Cons: managing your own office. a staff is recommened.
Work life balance is great here. Having an entrepreneurial spirit is highly recommended. Typical day at work involves client relationship building. I learned that it is important to mange up. Hardest part of my job is delegating. The most enjoyable part of my job is training others.
Great company, great training.
Financial Representative (Former Employee), Waltham, MASeptember 2, 2014
Was fortunate to start my career at NYL, in the Waltham office (MA.) Learned a lot of information and strategies, was able to comfortably ask anyone in the office for help or assistance, great team atmosphere, very experienced management team.
Effective training and supportive managers, but the job comes down to you.
Agent/Registered Representative (Current Employee), Medford, NYSeptember 1, 2014
Work is what you make of it at New York Life. The most successful people are the ones who can connect with anyone they interact with and leave an impression. The hardest part of the job is that it is sales; I believe I am helping people, but some people do not see it that way. I've come a long way my one year with NYLife, and there is always more to – more... learn for those who are willing to put themselves out there. – less
Exemplary company with excellent opportunity for self-starters
Agent (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALAugust 31, 2014
If you are self-motivated and looking to start your career, New York Life provides an excellent opportunity.
Organized and informative work office.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 29, 2014
A typical day of work consisted in phone calls, emails, pre-filling forms for clientele, checking the mail and mailing forms out. It was my responsibility to make copies, scan, and fax documents. Had to constantly check on our webpage, Facebook, linked in, and make sure birthday cards and anniversary card were sent to all our clients. Had to keep the – more... office are clean and organized. Handled client problems in a timely manner. Management was great, always finding ways to work with you and help you out. The most enjoyable part of the job was finding a solution to a problem for our clients. – less
Exciting opportunity for an entrepreneur
Financial Representative (Current Employee), Waltham, MAAugust 28, 2014
Pros: freedom
Great training program, keeps you highly motivated. Able to earn securities licenses, but beware. Must buy in and be willing to take the risk management aspect of a financial advisor and sell plenty of life insurance.

About New York Life

New York Life Insurance has been providing life insurance policies in the Big Apple since it was a tiny seed. While the top mutual – Read more

New York Life Photos