New York Life Employee Reviews in United States

Flexible schedule with hard working attitude
Insurace Agent (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLApril 14, 2016
Sales driven
Felt like a door to door salesman
Good experience
Not what I want to be doing
Very hard and not for me
Most enjoyable was helping people and flexible hours
Management was great, offering mentors
Co-workers were light and friendly
Productive fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 8, 2016
Great company to work for upbeat environment and friendly staff throughout. Also made work an enjoyable place. Typically very steady day with lots of phone calls to make.
Challenging work and great people made this place great!
Senior IT Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NJApril 6, 2016
Besides working with wonderful people, the best thing about my job would be the scope of responsibilities for my team which allowed me to get great experience on so many platforms and applications, as well as the opportunity to troubleshoot some challenging issues which required a healthy dose of critical thinking and, at times, creative thinking to resolve. Overall, my experiences here have elevated my knowledge and expertise across many different technologies.
Good financially sound company
Registered Rep (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 5, 2016
Straight commission job.You better have plenty of wealthy contact to survive. Survival rate less than 1% for the first year.
Misleading
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 5, 2016
I went to my first interview and was told i would have the support of staff to help with obtaining clients and leads. At the second interview i was told i would be on my own to find my own clients. I had spent 3 weeks now working with this company only to find out that i have to pay for my office space and nothing is offered on return. The tools they gave to find leads are free to everyone and mostly just lead to the use of facebook and linkdin. Very sorry i wasted my time with the company.
Pros
Cons
Misleading
great friendly people
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2016
i loved the people and friendly atmosphere. Learned a lot as a programmer and business analyst in analysis, design, development, and implementation of software products
environment is changing for the worse
Corporate Vice President, Finance (Former Employee) –  New York City, NYMarch 29, 2016
work life balance is good, compensation is good, management is moving the company in a new direction and seems to be making nearly every wrong decision, employee morale is at a 170 year low
Pros
compensation
Cons
unknown future where employees count last
productive and great place to work in and grow as a business person
Licensed insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  1983 Marcus avenue, New Hyde park 11042March 27, 2016
New York is a great company to get your feet wet in americas corporate. The training to become a life insurance agent is outstanding, i learned so much and gained experience that is very much valuable in everyday life and in planing and retirement.
• Communicating with the customer to design solutions.
Ruby on Rails Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 23, 2016
• Active Record using PostgreSQL (pg), MySQL (mysql2) and Oracle (active record oracle enhanced adapter) databases.
• Designed the front end application using Rails 3.1, CSS, AJAX and JQuery
Unlimited potential for growth and development
Agent (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 23, 2016
Being selected as an agent with New York Life Insurance based in Waltham, Ma was overall a favorable experience.

New York Life is a major provider of insurance and investment products.

At NYL I had the opportunity to favorable influence my customers financial security through our company insurance and investment portfolios including college funding, retirement, long-tem care, and lifetime income.
Pros
There are many Pro's to my life changing experience with NYL. The world of international finance, and investment, opportunities are infinite. I found the world of investments and finance fasinating, and always hungry and thirsting for more.
Cons
Chances at achieving in the Insurance and Investment industry, depends greatly favored for the young, fresh out of college, willing to spend twenty, or thirty, years within the industry, guaranteeing their success within the industry. Life timing, for an agent is a game changer, in my option.
tuff profesion
Registered Representative (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, MA 02324March 23, 2016
Nothing bad to say, Excellent training program. But working on a commission basis is a tuff way to make ends meet.Great working atmosphere, Good teamwork.
Pros
great training
Cons
commission basis
amazing workplace with strong work relationships
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 19, 2016
a typical day at work requires you to do all that you can to generate leads in a warm market. I learned an incredible amount of information and learn something new each day. The hardest part of the job is relative to each person. For me, a 23 year old working on commission alone, it is tough to get wealthier clients.
Pros
excellent work environment
Cons
commission only
Not a place to go for a long career
Corporate Vice President (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NJMarch 18, 2016
Older employees are being eliminated in favor of offshore and younger workers. Management mindset changes often without regard to older experienced workers.
Pros
business caual attire
Cons
long hours, inexperienced outsourced labor replacing American workers
Typical day at work is Busy.
Claims Processor Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, OHMarch 18, 2016
A typical work day begins at 6am, opening the incoming mail deliveries that are 5 per each day. The mail consist of all type of claims and checks to be process, scanned and indexed to the many other departments in a timely matter. Each co-worker in each department must work together to make sure all work is done before the shift is over. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the clients and having co-workers that are fun to work with and always willing to lend a hand to make sure all work is completed.
Pros
Free meals for employee week
Cons
Sometimes to busy to stop to go to the restrooms.
Great Company with great potential
AGENT (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 17, 2016
New York Life offers plenty of top notch training, there is plenty of training offered. Listen to the training and follow in their guidance and you'll go onto being very successful.
sale agent
Agent (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2016
training is valuable
sales experience is a must
working in a successful and professional environment
this the job where you interact with all different types of background individuals.
Fun organization with multiple opportunities
Corporate Vice President, Strategic Planning (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 15, 2016
Fun organization with multiple opportunities. Progressive organization with technical and career opportunities. This is a must work organization with opportunity for all levels of work.
Short Term
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 12, 2016
Hired for a years assignment - worked four months and they let EVERYONE go
Poor training
Supervisor did not even know the work we did
no breaks
had to ask to use the restroom and you were timed
Excellent products and company.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 9, 2016
I truly enjoyed working at NYLIC. I left to care for my Mother as she needed my me. I love selling insurance. It is a people oriented business and meeting the needs of those I met. With the products and service at my disposal, I was able to do accomplish those objectives
Pros
Protecting people and helping them secure their families
Cons
Time from my Mother
very good and strong company
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 8, 2016
very hard work, can be very successful if you are willing to invest the time. Management are pretty good, enjoy the flexibility. co-worker are joy to work with