New York Life Employee Reviews in United States

Fast paced, Friendly working enviroment
Receptionist Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 18, 2015
It was a 3month internship that I managed to land through the ucla internship program when I first arrived in Los Angeles, Ca. Amanda and Adam Bar were best employers to work for. New York Life is an upscale Life Insurance Companies. It was very fast paced, Kept you moving on your feet, and everyday I worked there I learned so many different computer programs
Pros
very flexible and understanding hours, 9-5, mornig shift
Cons
nothing negative to say
New York Life
Life Insurance Agent/Investment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Jericho, NYNovember 16, 2015
Great company and great products to sell all types of clients. Incredible training and teaching staff. Great benefits
Good Place to grow
Wealth Management & Marketing Analytics (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 11, 2015
A place to explore possibilities in your career. The culture depends on which group and the span of responsibilities you share within the group.
Agent (Former Employee) –  PANovember 6, 2015
Great place to work. Good People. Good managers and a great training program. I learned a lot there and will be able to use these skills everywhere. The only bad thing is it is all commission and it can be hard.
Great People, Great Company
Agent (Current Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLNovember 5, 2015
There is little bad I can of NYLIC. The training and products are second to none. The job itself teaches you alot about you. It requires decipline and very good time management. Coworkers are all encouraging and the development managers are great.
Pros
Great product great poeple
Cons
Mostly Makerting, Canvassing and Networking for Clients
Nice career but promises are broken all of them time
Agent (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VANovember 5, 2015
Could have been a very long career, but management made promises and never delivered. If they told you that you needed to ABC and you would get XYZ, after you did ABC they would tell you that you also needed to ABCDEFGHI in order to XYZ.
Great work/life balance and a family friendly company
Director of Recruiting (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXNovember 4, 2015
There are not enough nice things to say about the people I work with and the care they take of the employees and their families. I love this place.
Pros
Amazing all around
Awesome Job
Marketing and Investment Accounts (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXNovember 4, 2015
I would definitely recommend being an Agent at New York Life. The training is superb, the teams are close knit, and managers are exceptional.
Pros
Training, Teams, and Management support.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 4, 2015
Not a lot to say, but there is generous time off/paid holidays, generally a workload and the people who work there are mostly friendly and willing to help you out.
Pros
Flexibility and stability. Work with great people. Benefits.
Cons
Difficult to be promoted. Salary caps at lower levels.
Great place to work.
Senior Associate - Corporate Compliance (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJNovember 3, 2015
NYL has been a great place to work with extremely supportive management. I have learned so much from my colleagues who have helped me grow and develop over the last 12 years.
Process intensive
Technology Lead/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Sleepy Hollow, NYNovember 2, 2015
Company is supportive to employees to achieve work-life balance. Hierarchical management chain makes mission, strategy alignment hard. Many loyal, long term employees.
Fast paced, yet disorganized
New Business representative (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJNovember 2, 2015
The business is busy, supporting sales agents. The office is small and many of the people there are friendly, but in order to "game" the system. New people are trained by the "It takes a village" without any structure. The legacy staff can get away with coming in late and passing off work they don't want to do because the office manager wants to be friends and doesn't know how to treat everyone fairly. No professionalism and no guidance for anyone new.

There is a lot of unprofessional behavior, cliques, and topics that aren't very tolerant of other cultures, even though the office is very diverse. Be a little different and face ostracism and whispering behind your back. People constantly telling who is friends with who, and who you can talk to and who will gossip. That makes it extremely stressful and not a fun environment.

All about the numbers, even if ethics fall by the wayside.
Pros
Easy commute
Cons
Co-workers who know all the loopholes and take advantage
Professional Environment
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAOctober 31, 2015
It was a professional environment to work in. There were lots of costs associated with having a presence there. I met a lot of nice people wanting to accomplish the same thing that I wanted to.
Pros
Parking Garage
Cons
Lots of expenses
Great experience
agent (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYOctober 27, 2015
Helping people understand Insurance, Financial Planning, etc is an exhilarating feeling when you connect.
I spent 25 yrs doing this for New York Life. Great company to learn professional sales skills, business education, and people skills.
It is not easy in the beginning, but sticking it out has tremendous rewards both financially and emotionally.
Pros
Excellent Business skills
Cons
First 3-5 yrs are grueling
okay
Agent and Registered Representative (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 26, 2015
all commissions pay which makes it very difficult to make it through the first few years. not paid for training and a lot of mandatory training days.
Pros
good managment
Cons
constant prospecting
Good company to work for and highly rated in the financial industry.
Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAOctober 22, 2015
I sold insurance and financial products. Built my own client base from scratch and ran my own office. I set up financial programs and used insurance and other financial products in the plans.
Productive. Very good benefits. Very Diverse
Team Member, Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa FLOctober 20, 2015
Great place to work with great benefits. It is a very diverse company with great management and great employees. Fun place to work
Flexible schedule
Financial Services Professional (Current Employee) –  Melville, New YorkOctober 19, 2015
This career is great for those that have big goals and dreams. This is not a 9-5 job that you get set salary. You can earn as little as zero dollars or as much as one million a year it's all up to how much work you're willing to put in. The training programs are amazing and there's a lot to be learn so if you know nothing, you don't need to worry. It's a rough start for those that are having money like I had since i was fresh out of college, but after a few months through the education provided I was able to change my lifestyle completely.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Create you're own work
overall company is very good
Agent (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDOctober 19, 2015
I enjoyed my 4 years 3 months in this company. Company is very much supportive to employees. The hardest part of job is high targets.
Pros
working environment and support is excellent
Cons
management pushes a lot
Productive and fun place to work. Rewarding helping others and educating them on finances.
Financial Advisor/ Planner (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, MAOctober 18, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Pros
Plenty of education.
Cons
healthcare and 100% commission.