New York Methodist Hospital Employee Reviews

Good place
Microbiology Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY 11215June 30, 2017
Excellent place! Great people and good job security, its too bad pay is very poor. Excellent internal and external customer service, would apply again if money wasn't and issue.
Pharmacy residency
Pharmacy Practice Residency (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 26, 2017
Challenging position but learned a lot, preceptors were demanding. Typical day...daily rounds, questions, special projects: New ...........................................
A sure learning experience volunteering at New York Methodist Hospital
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 22, 2017
Working at New York Methodist Hospital is one of the most exhilarating learning experience that I can ever imagine or hope for! I learned a lot from the RNs and Doctors in the Neurology department in which I was volunteering!
Great Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 15, 2017
I was a volunteer at Methodist Hospital on the Med Surg unit and I was able to learn alot from the friendly staff before heading off the medical school.
Poor employee morale
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 31, 2017
Poor work morale from the nurses, managers are undertrained and show favoritism. Hard to get vacation approved no matter how far in advance you apply.
Pros
unionized
Cons
everything else
Learning experience
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 31, 2017
The learning experience was great. There is little room for advancement and growth. I enjoyed working with the staff in the hospital. A lot of standing up and running around from post to post.
Nurse Technician (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 7, 2017
In short NYM is a great company to work for but at the time of my transition, I believe that they began to cultivate an environment that made relations between management and employee strained wich all to often required staff to seek out help or information from the 1199 union.
I cant speak to how the environment is now but a-lot of my friends still work there un-bothered and content.
Pros
Very clean and technologically advanced
Fast pacd city hospital.
Charge Nurse, Preceptor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 5, 2017
Fast paced environment. Great place to acquire experience. The culture was not the most supportive. Management was not very supportive. However great teamwork displaced and staff were very helpful.
Pros
being in the city, fact paced, teamwok
Cons
lack of managerial support
Professional Atmosphere
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 25, 2017
Atypical day at work was, greeting staff and patients. Approached desk, logged onto computer sites that are worked on, and do daily routine like, answer phones, call patients, verify patients insurance, scanned documents, scheduled appointments in Eagle System, worked on Cerner System, Outlook, checked office supplies stash, etc.
The best hospital in Brooklyn with great patient satisfaction.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 23, 2017
New York Methodist Hospital is in a great and safe location.They have an interdisciplinary team of workers who provides the best patient satisfaction.
Compassionate workplace where healing happens
Patient Care Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 10, 2017
A typical day as a patient care volunteer at New York Methodist Hospital consists of many clerical tasks including relaying messages, filing records, and giving visitors directions. The highlight of my experience at New York Methodist was getting to know and care for the patients who were admitted. The tasks of major importance for a patient care volunteer includes ensuring that patients stay comfortable during their stay and patients that need assistance with their feeds get the proper nutrition they need to help healing. This experience taught me how to be compassionate and caring.
Rewarding, fulfillment, and accomplished
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 19, 2017
Building on your knowledge, creating a comfortable environment. Being in an environment that allows you to grow and treat your as a whole. Feeling appreciated.
Assistant to the Director of patient account
Assistant to Director of Patient Accounts (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 21, 2017
Scheduled all meeting, typed up all correspondence, followed up with billing for medicare, medicaid and private insurance and filled in when a patient biller called in,
Pros
Great Dircotro
Cons
sorry I left
nice work place
Pediatric Resident (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 11, 2017
work start kind of early but enjoy working with them, diverse culture,
learned how to use EMR, US culture, different protocols of patient managements,
hardest part of the job is the working hours
Enjoy working with the staff as the were very friendly
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
long working hours
Great teamwork.
Shadow Operating Room RN (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2017
I volunteered only for a day, but I was exposed to team communication, nurses detailed documentation during a surgical procedure and got to witness nurses advocating for their patients. Overall, the experience was amazing and I was proud to be a part of the profession.
Organized and Room to grow
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 23, 2017
Great and rewarding hospital with many benefits for employees and much room to grow and expand. Managers always helpful and willing to take you farther.
Productive and fun place to work
Cardiology Access Service Rep I (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 19, 2017
Great place to work for. I come in to work to deal with a rude obnoxious coordinator. Management rarely backs up their staff but he staff is great to work with. We work together to keep a functional office atmosphere.
Pros
Holiday events
Cons
Unprofessional Cordinator/ Supervisor
Unless you absolutely need money now, RUN!
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 17, 2017
I hated every minute I was employed at New York Methodist. An awful place to work. The staff are treated like replaceable servants that have been blessed with the opportunity to be overworked (I had anywhere from 12 - 20+ patients at a time) and underpaid. The nurses must sign up with the New York State Nurses Association (NYSNA) union, which sounds great, BUT, the representative for the nurses did absolutely nothing to help the nurses when they needed. In addition to paying your monthly dues, your time only counts towards a pension if you have a full or part-time position (pro-rated). There are nurses who have been per diem for more than 5 years, putting in the days required and more, and will get nothing for it in the end. The parking in this area is beyond ridiculous and the parking lot across the street charges more than $40 a day, no employee discount unless you have a pass, for which there is a very long waiting list and varies by your shift. The one shining spot were some of my coworkers. Some of the other nurses and ancillary staff were amazing, and supportive. In my department (ED), the turn over rate is about 1 year, so bear that in mind.
Pros
A bi-weekly paycheck.
Cons
Under staffed, lack of administrative support, lack of union support, no parking, patient ratio is dangerously high, no identifiable standards of care from hospital administration.
Good experience but not for long term
clerical float (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 13, 2016
This job is pretty straight forward, but does not pay enough. The supervisors often are disconnected from their employees and don't know how to train. They can also be manipulative and self aggrandizing. It is a good experience to learn how to deal with people /customer service. You gain experience with different programs
Pros
location, easy
Cons
micromanaging, unpleasant co workers
A horrible facility all together
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 20, 2016
Their Nurse Aides are NOT certified .
Not to mention how over run they are. With recent closings of local hospitals this facility has become overwhelmed. They don't have enough staff to handle so many patients
Pros
Nice lunch room M-F but on the weekend forget it
Cons
Everything is wrong, broken or dirty

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Methodist Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

New York Methodist Hospital Reviews by Location