New York Power Authority Employee Reviews

Good Company
SECURITY MANAGER, SENY Region (Current Employee) –  Astoria, NYOctober 30, 2017
Good benefits, job security and advancement opportunities. Great place to further your education and experience. Competitive salary and employee perks.
Wonderful Internship
Project Management Developmental Intern (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYOctober 4, 2017
This internship was the highlight of all my internships. I was able to see things that I have never seen before, and that most people wont see. I loved that summer, but would not go back due to personal goals/reasons.
Be glad that NYPA is not tax-payer funded
Energy Services Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYSeptember 28, 2017
A typical day at the New York Power Authority, if you are not in sales or management, is not very challenging. Coming from the private sector, I couldn't understand why things were done the way they are, but learned it's just the "public sector".

Saving grace was having outstanding managers who were interested in their team members, friendly, helpful, and met weekly with me allowing me to manage my time and work product. I felt valued.

That said, I would recommend NYPA to anyone who likes slow-paced "government" work that provides average benefits from what I understand. Not for everyone.
Pros
White Plains is a nice change of pace from NYC
Cons
Cubicles with high walls....everywhere
great sucirity rewarding work
Mechanical Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYSeptember 27, 2017
was very good place to work quality work, rewarding most of the time great benefits and pay also job security, work place has changed over the years but very very good place
Pros
job securit, good people
Cons
some unskilled in jobs
Good Company for stability
Senior Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYSeptember 15, 2017
Great Company as far as benefits unfortunately advancement is very limited. In order to advance in the protection field I would have to relocate to White Plains NY
Poor Management
Engineer (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYAugust 16, 2017
Top Heavy – Very hierarchical and bureaucratic. Many high paid titles with nebulous responsibilities.

Poorly managed but management thinks they are cutting edge.

Most promotions are the friends and family plan.
benefits
Too long ago to offer an up to date review
Director of Training and Administration Appraisal (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 4, 2017
I worked at this organization over 40 years ago. This is too long ago to adequately write an up to day review. During the time I worked with this organization I found it to be a good place to work.
Financial Analyst
PFJ Analytical Associate (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJune 29, 2017
Brief and interesting experience a a Financial Analyst, work closely with accounts managers to analyze and tracking rebate calculations, reimbursement program associated with the Recharge New York (RNY) program for those 5,000 customers not receiving RNY allocations
Pros
Good networking workplace
Cons
Contract end
Dynamic and Brilliant State Agency
Contract Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYApril 24, 2017
The New York Power Authority has a culture that is very special. Everyone there is simply a pleasure to work with. The jobs to recruit for are far than typical due to the excellence that The New York Power Authority demands, however that just makes the job that much more challenging and rewarding.
Great company and people
Operating Technician (Current Employee) –  Astoria, NYMarch 13, 2017
This company has great a compensation package and the people are great to work with. The unit I work with has given me the opportunity to learn several different systems and extend my knowledge significantly

Want to know more about New York Power Authority?

Ask a question
Self Centered Management
Auditor (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJanuary 24, 2017
Do not work for the internal audit department.
1. Management is more concerned with meeting self recognition goals than the team
2. Management is untrustworthy and make considerable efforts to create a culture is mis-trust among the team members
3. Management does not know how to audit - out of all the employees in the department, they are the weakest (yes - management)
4. Retaliatory behavior by management
5. 1/3 of team team left within 1 year (1/2 of those that left were management
6. Management is aware of significant issues and even fraud and has done nothing because they are worried about advancing their own careers
very busy
Helpdesk Analyst/Desktop Consultant (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYDecember 13, 2016
i learned a few things here, but for the most part it's all phone support i'm not really into staying on the phone all day. Also the environment wasn't that friendly.
Solid experience overall
Sustainability Intern (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYNovember 14, 2016
This is a great place to work if you are interested in the energy industry/government/public policy. Compensation is great compared to other government positions. Very much a 9-5 work culture which makes for great work life balance.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Not very fast paced for those beginning their career
political
Safety and Environmental Representative (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, NYOctober 15, 2016
no discipline, work advances not based on knowledge but on who you know. very high school like atmosphere, fairly unprofessional. minimal amount of work conducted, facility not taken care of
Pros
retirment benifits
Depends on who you know?
SAP Maintenance Planner (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, NYMarch 15, 2016
I have attempted for a number of years to get hired by the Power Authority to no avail.

The insiders I know tell me it is all about who you know and not on your skill or education level.

Outside contractors refer to the place as "the retirement home".
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Nepotism
Professional yet very family-oriented.
Developmental Electrical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Astoria, NYOctober 19, 2015
By far the best internship I have ever had. Everyone is willing to help but they will not give you the answer. They teach you how to network and use your resources to get things done on your own the right way. And the managers are truly awesome and the true definition of what management should be. Nothing bu the best.
Very relaxed work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYSeptember 23, 2015
- Good benefits
- Learned a lot in my designated field
- Opportunities for further education
- In the process of going through changes in certain departments
Good job but no advancement
Assistant Systems Operator (Former Employee) –  Marcy, NYJuly 23, 2015
I loved my job and coworkers but the company had no room for advancement. No point in staying at a job that wouldnt allow me to advance my career any
Excellent job
Assistant System Operator (Current Employee) –  Marcy, NYMarch 15, 2015
Great company to work for takes care of its people, great place to work and great co-workers. Safe jobs everything is handled professionally
Pros
Cons
nothing
Stay Away
Analyst (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYMarch 12, 2015
Terrible company culture; a lot of the people who advance in the company are relatives of bosses. A lot of back stabbing is going on; not much worker productivity.

Company currently has pay freezes so very difficult to move up

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Power Authority. Our community is ready to answer.