New York Power Authority Employee Reviews in United States

Depends on who you know?
SAP Maintenance Planner (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, NYMarch 15, 2016
I have attempted for a number of years to get hired by the Power Authority to no avail.

The insiders I know tell me it is all about who you know and not on your skill or education level.

Outside contractors refer to the place as "the retirement home".
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Nepotism
Very relaxed work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYSeptember 23, 2015
- Good benefits
- Learned a lot in my designated field
- Opportunities for further education
- In the process of going through changes in certain departments
Not everyone gets to work at nuclear plant
Procedure Clerk/Secretary To Manager (Former Employee) –  Lycoming, NYOctober 17, 2012
I enjoyed my days working at the James A. FitzPatrick Nuclear Power Plant, New York Power Authority. A typical day could be a 12 hour day when the plant was on shut-down. My manager in the Instrument & Control Dept. was fair, honest and hard working. We as a department worked well together and as a team. The hardest part of the day was getting all the procedural changes, revisions out in a timely manner per the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. I enjoyed doing procedures and working with computers. I learned a lot about working at a nuclear plant and all its regulations.
Pros
excellent pay & benefits
Cons
long hours when plant was shut-down
Good job but no advancement
Assistant Systems Operator (Former Employee) –  Marcy, NYJuly 23, 2015
I loved my job and coworkers but the company had no room for advancement. No point in staying at a job that wouldnt allow me to advance my career any
productive and an enjoyable place to work
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYOctober 24, 2014
job assignments at 7am, my job entailed multiple duties depending on the needs for the day. I was always given sufficient time and tools to complete my tasks. learning was an everyday occurrence in my field. Supervisors kept the employees informed and promoted safety. working with co-workers was enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with new standards, but manageable. I enjoyed working with co-workers and able to accomplish my tasks on time and safely everyday.
Pros
wages and benifits and work enviroment
Nice diverse environment
Senior Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYDecember 28, 2012
You come to work, possibly make long time friends, Management can at times, but not in all situations, learn the benefits of positive feedback. Although the company is diversified there are obviouse splits.
Nypa
Assistant Treasurer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2013
Cash and Debt Management.

Learned debt analysis and funding through bond issues.

Job was good and I learned to apply my banking knowledge at the corporate level.

Didn't see a great opportunity for advancement and left to return to banking.
Pros
learning about the debt side.
Cons
no advancement.
Stay Away
Analyst (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYMarch 12, 2015
Terrible company culture; a lot of the people who advance in the company are relatives of bosses. A lot of back stabbing is going on; not much worker productivity.

Company currently has pay freezes so very difficult to move up
A WONDERFUL place to work and the employees made it over the top exceptional to go to work everyday!
Administrative Assistant/Stenographer (Former Employee) –  Scriba, NYDecember 14, 2014
I worked incredibly hard in an industry that is governed by procedures and regulations. I enjoyed each day I went to work. The company was so generous to its employees and were concerned (throughout my employment there) regarding maintaining family life etc. The reason why I left was to stay at home with my newborn son.
Pros
meal tickets for working overtime
Cons
working through breaks and lunch because of the workload
great people to work for
sr electrical designer (Former Employee) –  white plains nyJanuary 5, 2014
work was relaxed
learned much from other engineers
management cared about employees with quarterly meetings
co workers were fun people to work with
getting job done on time
the great people there
Excellent job
Assistant System Operator (Current Employee) –  Marcy, NYMarch 15, 2015
Great company to work for takes care of its people, great place to work and great co-workers. Safe jobs everything is handled professionally
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Great Place to Work, BUT
1 (Current Employee) –  NY, NYSeptember 18, 2012
Nice place to work, but Management couldn't care less about anything but making money.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
lack of management
Why did I leave.
Design Document Coordinator (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJanuary 13, 2015
Great place to work high pay. great change to advance. Plenty of help to advance as well. Moved out of state if not would have still been there.
Good work and spacious office
Application Design and Development Intern (Current Employee) –  Niagara FallsNovember 26, 2014
Love my work and proud to be part of the organization. I am privilged to have got an opportunity to serve the NYPA organization.
Excellent
Human Resources Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYNovember 4, 2013
New York Power Authority is an amazing environment to work in. I learned all basic HR Administrative Assistant skills and more. Every day was a learning experience. It was fully hands on.
Productive and fun
Graduate Research Consultant - Build Smart NY (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 14, 2014
Research and analyze operations and maintenance (O&M) of diverse government facilities portfolio to identify energy savings opportunities.
productive and cool workplace
SharePoint Admin (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYMarch 1, 2012
It's nice being a part of SharePoint team at New York Power Authority. working hand in hand with developers and architects for migrating from 2007 to 2010 version of SharePoint.
Awesome
Developmental Intern (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYMay 23, 2014
Learned a lot. Awesome experience for students. Co-workers are always willing to help interns.
Pros
great pay
Work
VIDEO CONFERENCE ENGINEER CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2014
Typical place to work at. Few enjoyable people to work with.
Great Company
Procurement/Purchasing Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  queensDecember 12, 2012
company is great to there employees and training for new software. managers are humble and nice

New York Power Authority Reviews by Location