New York Racing Association Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and Exciting
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ozone Park, NYMarch 1, 2016
Everyday was a challenge yet it was enjoyable. My coworkers were impressive, the amount of dedication everyone put towards their responsibilities. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the clients ( Via Owners, Jockeys, Trainers and Jockey Agents) whether in person or over the phone. Meeting world famous and legendary jockeys, trainers, and horse owners. You learned so much about the not only their lives but about the horse racing business as well. Everyone has a story to tell. Management was excellent, my supervisor is amazing, the amount of duties she has to complete within a day in unbelievable. She is very straightforward, intelligent, and kind. I believe the hardest part of the was keeping up with everything and getting the office organized
Very fun and enjoyable workplace
Parking Supervisor/Attendant (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYMay 15, 2016
I started out as a parking attendant just making minimum wage and eventually got to a supervisory position for parking. I would come in every day for the early shift, which was around 5am, and would travel to each parking attendants post signing them in. I would make sure that we had enough attendants for the day and that each attendant was ready to do their job required for that position. I also would handle the money gathered for people parking that morning and deliver it personally to the vault. My day usually ended around 2pm depending on how crowded we were and if we still needed extra help in certain areas.
Fun atmosphere with horses to look at
Peace Officer (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 29, 2015
I would walk around the floor to greet customers everyday and check to see whose back again. its a gambling place so you get happy and disappointed customers who win and lose. The hardest part is sometimes trespassing individuals for disorderly conduct. The most enjoyable part of my job is at the end of the day my job was done and I can punch out with my head high.
Pros
Great Benefit, team atmosphere and Management
Cons
Not enough Overtime to share
see below
Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMay 29, 2016
Worked there a very short time can not fairly say much. Was very easy for me to get here and get home, Belmont Stakes was very exciting
Pros
Belmont Stakes
Cons
short breaks
very good experience
Mutuel clerk (Current Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 11, 2015
this I learned to more patient and a better understanding about finance and handling large sums of money working in a competitive environment
Pros
good medical benefits
Cons
winter time job lacks
Everyone was a pleasure to work wiyh
Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYJanuary 31, 2014
The job was enjoyable to be at. It was only a seasonable job from April to November. The chance for getting a full time position there was not good. From Nov to april there was not positions available since they worked a skeleton crew.
Cons
no healthcare offered to seasonal workers. salary not that great.
alot of work busy days no respect from management
extra mutel clerk (Former Employee) –  elmont nyMay 4, 2015
we work fast and accurate forlow pay we are considered worthless, and face a risk of missing money the betters dont speak clear chinese some times and can make us mistakes any mistakes our fault, we can work for free if we miss fundssupervisors some are nice and know we are good,the pay is so small for extra clerks and temps,the only enjoyable part is getting a good tip and paycheck, we must shape up no guarantee of work and face demotion,for not coming enough when not needed
Pros
free admission to belmont
Cons
low pay risk of missing money
Interesting Place to Work
Switchboard Operator - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Elmont, NYJune 22, 2014
Good for variety of interests and pursuits. Ideal for the entry level position seeker.
Pros
variety of positions available
Cons
poor benefits
good company
Building Cleaner (Current Employee) –  hempstead, NYJuly 28, 2015
there's a schedule that is followed and makes everyday simple and easy. the work environment is very welcoming because of the great people that have been hired by the company
ok
Peace Officer Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJuly 7, 2015
it is a great experience to experience the world of horse racing. I have a great staff, and they all comply with my needs. Just thinking about relocating
It is a very interesting place to work
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 11, 2014
A day starts at 12.15 pm sometimes earlier on big days. I have learnt a lot of stuff that I did not know before. The management team are very understanding and co-operative with workers. Some are very nice but others hate your guts so you have to be very careful.The winners that you hope would win the race. It is fun mostly on big days but some customers are very snobbish but at the end of the day they are really nice.
wow in a bad way
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Elmont, NYNovember 5, 2013
horribly long work days, grueling work, pay is ok but underpar for the type of work you are doing, every day i wanted to quit and couldnt have been happier when the company laid me off due to downsizing. best part of the job was the unemployment checks. and that is not liek me to sya this at all i have had hard jobs plenty before but the management was very poor the tools were even worse and yet we were expected to create masterpieces with faulty equipment and punished and penalized if work was something short of spectacular, which my work seldom was despite these horrible work conditions.
Pros
lunch break is an hour
Cons
everythign with the exception of a weekly paycheck
Rewarding Learning Experience
Security Guard, Horse Track (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYDecember 10, 2012
The day started with roll call for all security guards on the shift. Then we assumed our posts where we weren't allowed to sit. Received two half hour breaks throughout the day. Overtime was considered to be optional, however on weekends it was still expected that we remain on post during the extra races.

I learned patience and perseverance, as well as basic security techniques through NYRA's own security guard training course.
Pros
good pay
Cons
short breaks, long hours, no sitting
Excellent Place to Grow
Food and Beverage Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYSeptember 12, 2013
• Recruited, trained, and scheduled a full working staff of up to seventy employees.
• Managed total restaurant operations in areas of staff management and customer relations.
• Promoted new business through participation in community events.
• Facilitated the organization and planning of events in coordination with Group Sales
• Operated front house of multiple dining areas including: Aqueduct with capacities of up to 1,000 customers, Belmont with capacities of up to 1800 customers, and Saratoga with capacities of up to 3,000 customers.
• Coordinated directly with Centerplate Catering on staffing levels, menus, and pricing.
• Managed seven month reservation period for The Saratoga Meet and six month reservation period for Belmont Stakes Day (third leg of the Triple Crown).
• Planned seating arrangements for the three a la carte restaurants at the Saratoga racetrack.
• Hired and trained a seasonal staff of fifty hostesses to implement seating plans.
• Oversaw payroll for 7 departments using E-Time.
• Set up dining rooms to accommodate the newest Fire Code of New York.
Fun workplace
Mutuel Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ozone Park, NYAugust 21, 2014
I learned how to make bets on horses. Management and co-workers were fun to be around. Hardest part about the job is the heavy amount of customers you can get at one time. The most enjoyable part of the job is you get to travel to other states and work at their track with NY management permission.
Pros
tips
Cons
no health care, no breaks
Interesting workplace
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, NYAugust 4, 2014
Maintained order and security within area of control.
Controlled access to facility, Id verification, vender verification.
Escorted staff and visitors.
Documented all activity.
Some well respected co-workers.
Long hours standing on feet outdoors.
Loved the environment
Manager - Janitorial Department (Former Employee) –  Elmont, NYOctober 17, 2013
I Worked with race horse's since I was 15. Travel all over the country. 1986 came to New York and started working at Belmont Park.
1991 I was offered a job as a janitorial housekeeper supervisor.
I took the job even though I missed the horse's. I was eventually promoted to Managers position. I was in charge of the pre and post cleanings of 3 major Race Tracks in New York State.
Pros
doing what you love to do
Cons
new management
Very Strong Culture
Director HR (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMay 10, 2014
Co-workers are extremely friendly. There are many organizations that are closely integrated with the company, trainers, backstretch employees, the NY Thoroughbred association. The first time you experience the company changing tracks, you will want to observe and take pictures. It is an amazing process.

Every track has its own personality. There are many special races which creates a buzz.
Pros
strong culture
Cons
highly decentralized
A lot of friendly people along with not so friendly people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYOctober 2, 2012
you must be a responsible and reliable person because on a slow day you will be handling $6,000. While on a busy day that can double and sometimes triple. There is a lot of independent work because you are a cashier, everyone is assigned their own booth, but you are never alone because there are other booths with other cashiers, and there is security. And most importantly there are the customers. They are happy for the most part, some may not be happy. There is no hard part of this job, and the most enjoyable is being on lunch strolling around the beautiful scenery.
Can be a fun place to work.
Mutuel Clerk (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 6, 2013
On a typical day, myself and co-workers meet before work. During the course of the day, you will definitely be entertained by the customers as well as fellow co-workers. On this job I learned that people will say and do anything for money and with that you must have awesome customer service skills and not let the ignorance that comes with the job stop you from using those skills. The most enjoyable part of the job i will honestly have to say is when a customer gives a great tip.