New York Racing Association Employee Reviews

Not worth being sworn in!
Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 20, 2016
I'll be here too long! But they care nothing about your title as a law enforcement officer! They'll let their friends, who grew up on the track right along with most of the bosses say and do what ever to you with out any action taken against the perpetrator! Just stay away! The State needs to take a real close look at NYRA and the people who run it!
Pros
Cons
No law enforcement what so ever!, No matter what happens!, Favoritizm and racism is blatent! The State really needs to investigate NYRA!
see below
Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMay 29, 2016
Worked there a very short time can not fairly say much. Was very easy for me to get here and get home, Belmont Stakes was very exciting
Pros
Belmont Stakes
Cons
short breaks
Very fun and enjoyable workplace
Parking Supervisor/Attendant (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYMay 15, 2016
I started out as a parking attendant just making minimum wage and eventually got to a supervisory position for parking. I would come in every day for the early shift, which was around 5am, and would travel to each parking attendants post signing them in. I would make sure that we had enough attendants for the day and that each attendant was ready to do their job required for that position. I also would handle the money gathered for people parking that morning and deliver it personally to the vault. My day usually ended around 2pm depending on how crowded we were and if we still needed extra help in certain areas.
Productive and Exciting
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ozone Park, NYMarch 1, 2016
Everyday was a challenge yet it was enjoyable. My coworkers were impressive, the amount of dedication everyone put towards their responsibilities. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the clients ( Via Owners, Jockeys, Trainers and Jockey Agents) whether in person or over the phone. Meeting world famous and legendary jockeys, trainers, and horse owners. You learned so much about the not only their lives but about the horse racing business as well. Everyone has a story to tell. Management was excellent, my supervisor is amazing, the amount of duties she has to complete within a day in unbelievable. She is very straightforward, intelligent, and kind. I believe the hardest part of the was keeping up with everything and getting the office organized
Fun atmosphere with horses to look at
Peace Officer (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 29, 2015
I would walk around the floor to greet customers everyday and check to see whose back again. its a gambling place so you get happy and disappointed customers who win and lose. The hardest part is sometimes trespassing individuals for disorderly conduct. The most enjoyable part of my job is at the end of the day my job was done and I can punch out with my head high.
Pros
Great Benefit, team atmosphere and Management
Cons
Not enough Overtime to share
good company
Building Cleaner (Current Employee) –  hempstead, NYJuly 28, 2015
there's a schedule that is followed and makes everyday simple and easy. the work environment is very welcoming because of the great people that have been hired by the company
ok
Peace Officer Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJuly 7, 2015
it is a great experience to experience the world of horse racing. I have a great staff, and they all comply with my needs. Just thinking about relocating
alot of work busy days no respect from management
extra mutel clerk (Former Employee) –  elmont nyMay 4, 2015
we work fast and accurate forlow pay we are considered worthless, and face a risk of missing money the betters dont speak clear chinese some times and can make us mistakes any mistakes our fault, we can work for free if we miss fundssupervisors some are nice and know we are good,the pay is so small for extra clerks and temps,the only enjoyable part is getting a good tip and paycheck, we must shape up no guarantee of work and face demotion,for not coming enough when not needed
Pros
free admission to belmont
Cons
low pay risk of missing money
very good experience
Mutuel clerk (Current Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 11, 2015
this I learned to more patient and a better understanding about finance and handling large sums of money working in a competitive environment
Pros
good medical benefits
Cons
winter time job lacks
It is a very interesting place to work
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 11, 2014
A day starts at 12.15 pm sometimes earlier on big days. I have learnt a lot of stuff that I did not know before. The management team are very understanding and co-operative with workers. Some are very nice but others hate your guts so you have to be very careful.The winners that you hope would win the race. It is fun mostly on big days but some customers are very snobbish but at the end of the day they are really nice.
Productive and Relaxful place
Grounds Maintenance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2014
Enjoyed working around the horses and people at the track. Very relax and laid back people to work with on a daily basis.
Working at NYRA reminded me so much of high school.
Mutuel Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 4, 2014
I say being a Mutuel Clerk at NYRA is the best part time job you can ever have. It all goes downhill once you make the Union and are at the very bottom of the seniority list. Only working on the weekends during the fall/winter months.
Fun workplace
Mutuel Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ozone Park, NYAugust 21, 2014
I learned how to make bets on horses. Management and co-workers were fun to be around. Hardest part about the job is the heavy amount of customers you can get at one time. The most enjoyable part of the job is you get to travel to other states and work at their track with NY management permission.
Pros
tips
Cons
no health care, no breaks
Did not treat there employees the right way
Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Elmont, NYAugust 13, 2014
The bosses took advantage of their power which is the reason i left.
Interesting workplace
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, NYAugust 4, 2014
Maintained order and security within area of control.
Controlled access to facility, Id verification, vender verification.
Escorted staff and visitors.
Documented all activity.
Some well respected co-workers.
Long hours standing on feet outdoors.
Interesting Place to Work
Switchboard Operator - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Elmont, NYJune 22, 2014
Good for variety of interests and pursuits. Ideal for the entry level position seeker.
Pros
variety of positions available
Cons
poor benefits
Very Strong Culture
Director HR (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMay 10, 2014
Co-workers are extremely friendly. There are many organizations that are closely integrated with the company, trainers, backstretch employees, the NY Thoroughbred association. The first time you experience the company changing tracks, you will want to observe and take pictures. It is an amazing process.

Every track has its own personality. There are many special races which creates a buzz.
Pros
strong culture
Cons
highly decentralized
Law Enforcement with Customer Service type job
PEACE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2014
Helping guests and customers and also employers and also make it known that your law enforcement of the grounds. I learned the penal code also how to write reports also how to deal with people on the customer service level. The management was good and bad for the reason that the upper management was always changing and you had to adapt and the time I was there I went through five different managements. The workers that I worked with and worked for became the reason why the job was enjoyable and that is why I was there so long. The part of the job I hated was doing a good job and there was times there was no raises or anything but the upper management always got and besides all of that I stuck around and did a good job for 23 years.
Pros
had lots of vacation time
Cons
we never got paid for our break, also it was a 35 hour work week so if you worked extra it was not always overtime.
Everyone was a pleasure to work wiyh
Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYJanuary 31, 2014
The job was enjoyable to be at. It was only a seasonable job from April to November. The chance for getting a full time position there was not good. From Nov to april there was not positions available since they worked a skeleton crew.
Cons
no healthcare offered to seasonal workers. salary not that great.
wow in a bad way
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Elmont, NYNovember 5, 2013
horribly long work days, grueling work, pay is ok but underpar for the type of work you are doing, every day i wanted to quit and couldnt have been happier when the company laid me off due to downsizing. best part of the job was the unemployment checks. and that is not liek me to sya this at all i have had hard jobs plenty before but the management was very poor the tools were even worse and yet we were expected to create masterpieces with faulty equipment and punished and penalized if work was something short of spectacular, which my work seldom was despite these horrible work conditions.
Pros
lunch break is an hour
Cons
everythign with the exception of a weekly paycheck

New York Racing Association Reviews by Location