New York Racing Association Employee Reviews

Fun atmosphere with horses to look at
Peace Officer (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 29, 2015
I would walk around the floor to greet customers everyday and check to see whose back again. its a gambling place so you get happy and disappointed customers who win and lose. The hardest part is sometimes trespassing individuals for disorderly conduct. The most enjoyable part of my job is at the end of the day my job was done and I can punch out with my head high.
Pros
Great Benefit, team atmosphere and Management
Cons
Not enough Overtime to share
good company
Building Cleaner (Current Employee) –  hempstead, NYJuly 28, 2015
there's a schedule that is followed and makes everyday simple and easy. the work environment is very welcoming because of the great people that have been hired by the company
ok
Peace Officer Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJuly 7, 2015
it is a great experience to experience the world of horse racing. I have a great staff, and they all comply with my needs. Just thinking about relocating
alot of work busy days no respect from management
extra mutel clerk (Former Employee) –  elmont nyMay 4, 2015
we work fast and accurate forlow pay we are considered worthless, and face a risk of missing money the betters dont speak clear chinese some times and can make us mistakes any mistakes our fault, we can work for free if we miss fundssupervisors some are nice and know we are good,the pay is so small for extra clerks and temps,the only enjoyable part is getting a good tip and paycheck, we must shape up no guarantee of work and face demotion,for not coming enough when not needed
Pros
free admission to belmont
Cons
low pay risk of missing money
very good experience
Mutuel clerk (Current Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 11, 2015
this I learned to more patient and a better understanding about finance and handling large sums of money working in a competitive environment
Pros
good medical benefits
Cons
winter time job lacks
It is a very interesting place to work
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 11, 2014
A day starts at 12.15 pm sometimes earlier on big days. I have learnt a lot of stuff that I did not know before. The management team are very understanding and co-operative with workers. Some are very nice but others hate your guts so you have to be very careful.The winners that you hope would win the race. It is fun mostly on big days but some customers are very snobbish but at the end of the day they are really nice.
Productive and Relaxful place
Grounds Maintenance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2014
Enjoyed working around the horses and people at the track. Very relax and laid back people to work with on a daily basis.
Working at NYRA reminded me so much of high school.
Mutuel Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 4, 2014
I say being a Mutuel Clerk at NYRA is the best part time job you can ever have. It all goes downhill once you make the Union and are at the very bottom of the seniority list. Only working on the weekends during the fall/winter months.
Fun workplace
Mutuel Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ozone Park, NYAugust 21, 2014
I learned how to make bets on horses. Management and co-workers were fun to be around. Hardest part about the job is the heavy amount of customers you can get at one time. The most enjoyable part of the job is you get to travel to other states and work at their track with NY management permission.
Pros
tips
Cons
no health care, no breaks
DID NOT TREAT THERE EMPLOYEES THE RIGHT WAY
Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Elmont, NYAugust 13, 2014
The bosses took advantage of their power which is the reason i left.
Interesting workplace
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, NYAugust 4, 2014
Maintained order and security within area of control.
Controlled access to facility, Id verification, vender verification.
Escorted staff and visitors.
Documented all activity.
Some well respected co-workers.
Long hours standing on feet outdoors.
Interesting Place to Work
Switchboard Operator - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Elmont, NYJune 22, 2014
Good for variety of interests and pursuits. Ideal for the entry level position seeker.
Pros
variety of positions available
Cons
poor benefits
Very Strong Culture
Director HR (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMay 10, 2014
Co-workers are extremely friendly. There are many organizations that are closely integrated with the company, trainers, backstretch employees, the NY Thoroughbred association. The first time you experience the company changing tracks, you will want to observe and take pictures. It is an amazing process.

Every track has its own personality. There are many special races which creates a buzz.
Pros
strong culture
Cons
highly decentralized
Law Enforcement with Customer Service type job
PEACE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2014
Helping guests and customers and also employers and also make it known that your law enforcement of the grounds. I learned the penal code also how to write reports also how to deal with people on the customer service level. The management was good and bad for the reason that the upper management was always changing and you had to adapt and the time I was there I went through five different managements. The workers that I worked with and worked for became the reason why the job was enjoyable and that is why I was there so long. The part of the job I hated was doing a good job and there was times there was no raises or anything but the upper management always got and besides all of that I stuck around and did a good job for 23 years.
Pros
had lots of vacation time
Cons
we never got paid for our break, also it was a 35 hour work week so if you worked extra it was not always overtime.
Everyone was a pleasure to work wiyh
Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYJanuary 31, 2014
The job was enjoyable to be at. It was only a seasonable job from April to November. The chance for getting a full time position there was not good. From Nov to april there was not positions available since they worked a skeleton crew.
Cons
no healthcare offered to seasonal workers. salary not that great.
wow in a bad way
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Elmont, NYNovember 5, 2013
horribly long work days, grueling work, pay is ok but underpar for the type of work you are doing, every day i wanted to quit and couldnt have been happier when the company laid me off due to downsizing. best part of the job was the unemployment checks. and that is not liek me to sya this at all i have had hard jobs plenty before but the management was very poor the tools were even worse and yet we were expected to create masterpieces with faulty equipment and punished and penalized if work was something short of spectacular, which my work seldom was despite these horrible work conditions.
Pros
lunch break is an hour
Cons
everythign with the exception of a weekly paycheck
Loved the environment
Manager - Janitorial Department (Former Employee) –  Elmont, NYOctober 17, 2013
I Worked with race horse's since I was 15. Travel all over the country. 1986 came to New York and started working at Belmont Park.
1991 I was offered a job as a janitorial housekeeper supervisor.
I took the job even though I missed the horse's. I was eventually promoted to Managers position. I was in charge of the pre and post cleanings of 3 major Race Tracks in New York State.
Pros
doing what you love to do
Cons
new management
Excellent Place to Grow
Food and Beverage Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYSeptember 12, 2013
• Recruited, trained, and scheduled a full working staff of up to seventy employees.
• Managed total restaurant operations in areas of staff management and customer relations.
• Promoted new business through participation in community events.
• Facilitated the organization and planning of events in coordination with Group Sales
• Operated front house of multiple dining areas including: Aqueduct with capacities of up to 1,000 customers, Belmont with capacities of up to 1800 customers, and Saratoga with capacities of up to 3,000 customers.
• Coordinated directly with Centerplate Catering on staffing levels, menus, and pricing.
• Managed seven month reservation period for The Saratoga Meet and six month reservation period for Belmont Stakes Day (third leg of the Triple Crown).
• Planned seating arrangements for the three a la carte restaurants at the Saratoga racetrack.
• Hired and trained a seasonal staff of fifty hostesses to implement seating plans.
• Oversaw payroll for 7 departments using E-Time.
• Set up dining rooms to accommodate the newest Fire Code of New York.
Security guard
Security Associate (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYJune 14, 2013
Great job. It consisted of patrol of the grounds and directing traffic
Can be a fun place to work.
Mutuel Clerk (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 6, 2013
On a typical day, myself and co-workers meet before work. During the course of the day, you will definitely be entertained by the customers as well as fellow co-workers. On this job I learned that people will say and do anything for money and with that you must have awesome customer service skills and not let the ignorance that comes with the job stop you from using those skills. The most enjoyable part of the job i will honestly have to say is when a customer gives a great tip.