New York Racing Association Employee Review

View all New York Racing Association reviews

Fun workplace with horse racing and people from all different walks of life
Accounts Receivable/Payable/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ozone Park, NYJuly 19, 2013
My typical day at work was not the same every day. There is no day that had the same event. My core job responsibilities were the same, but because of the position that I worked in as the assistant to the Controller and support for the finance and accounting department my responsibilities were different on a daily basis.

Working at NYRA I was not confined to just my department. I had interactions with other departments, I had interactions even with the patrons. On any given day I never know what to expect, but I learned to be more patient. Patient when an irate patron calls and I am on the phone with them but it's not my department that they really need and they are mad at me. I learned to work in a fast paced environment with a diverse group of people and still leave at the end of the day loving my job.

My managers were terrific. I had a good relationship with my managers

My co-workers were all unique in their own way. We all lived like family because we spent most of our day together. We did a lot of fun things, going out to lunch, going for walks on our lunchtime. I had a relationship with some of my coworkers outside work.

The hardest part of my job was when someone got fired. It was hard because I grew attached to that individual. It became harder when I had to clean out their desk and take their personal belongings to Human Resources.

The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that I worked somewhere that I looked forward to going each morning. My job was never a place that I felt I did not want to go each day. I worked there for almost seven years
  more... and my only reason for leaving was because I relocated.   less
Pros
Holiday lunches
Cons
no 15 minutes break.

Other New York Racing Association Employee Reviews

Satisfactory
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 13, 2017
Job is satisfactory, management can be unprofessional, hardest part is the unruly customers, most enjoyable are the co-workers, part time without any benefits
Laid-back but tough working environment
ADMISSIONS REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Elmont, NYDecember 6, 2017
Whenever you work with the public, it can be a very demanding task. On most days, this job is very easy-going and the regular customers are not much of a bother. Of course, there are times when there are main events, mostly the summer months, where the job can get stressful and frustrating. Even still, there is a sense of respect that is had throughout most of the venue. There is a sense of cliche, and the lower paid workers do not mingle with the higher paid workers, and there is rarely any opportunities to advance unless someone retires. Overall, it's a great first-time job for high-school and college graduates. The opportunity to network is great and well worth the hard work.