New York Racing Association

New York Racing Association Employer Reviews

Productive and Relaxful place
Grounds Maintenance (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 18, 2014
Enjoyed working around the horses and people at the track. Very relax and laid back people to work with on a daily basis.
Working at NYRA reminded me so much of high school.
Mutuel Clerk (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYSeptember 4, 2014
I say being a Mutuel Clerk at NYRA is the best part time job you can ever have. It all goes downhill once you make the Union and are at the very bottom of the seniority list. Only working on the weekends during the fall/winter months.
Fun workplace
Mutuel Clerk (Former Employee), Ozone Park, NYAugust 21, 2014
Pros: tips
Cons: no health care, no breaks
I learned how to make bets on horses. Management and co-workers were fun to be around. Hardest part about the job is the heavy amount of customers you can get at one time. The most enjoyable part of the job is you get to travel to other states and work at their track with NY management permission.
DID NOT TREAT THERE EMPLOYEES THE RIGHT WAY
Peace Officer (Former Employee), Elmont, NYAugust 13, 2014
The bosses took advantage of their power which is the reason i left.
Interesting workplace
Security Guard (Former Employee), Saratoga, NYAugust 4, 2014
Maintained order and security within area of control.
Controlled access to facility, Id verification, vender verification.
Escorted staff and visitors.
Documented all activity.
Some well respected co-workers.
Long hours standing on feet outdoors.
Interesting Place to Work
Switchboard Operator - Customer Service (Former Employee), Elmont, NYJune 22, 2014
Pros: variety of positions available
Cons: poor benefits
Good for variety of interests and pursuits. Ideal for the entry level position seeker.
Very Strong Culture
Director HR (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYMay 10, 2014
Pros: strong culture
Cons: highly decentralized
Co-workers are extremely friendly. There are many organizations that are closely integrated with the company, trainers, backstretch employees, the NY Thoroughbred association. The first time you experience the company changing tracks, you will want to observe and take pictures. It is an amazing process.

Every track has its own personality. There are – more... many special races which creates a buzz. – less
Law Enforcement with Customer Service type job
PEACE OFFICER (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: had lots of vacation time
Cons: we never got paid for our break, also it was a 35 hour work week so if you worked extra it was not always overtime.
Helping guests and customers and also employers and also make it known that your law enforcement of the grounds. I learned the penal code also how to write reports also how to deal with people on the customer service level. The management was good and bad for the reason that the upper management was always changing and you had to adapt and the time – more... I was there I went through five different managements. The workers that I worked with and worked for became the reason why the job was enjoyable and that is why I was there so long. The part of the job I hated was doing a good job and there was times there was no raises or anything but the upper management always got and besides all of that I stuck around and did a good job for 23 years. – less
Everyone was a pleasure to work wiyh
Peace Officer (Former Employee), Saratoga Springs, NYJanuary 31, 2014
Cons: no healthcare offered to seasonal workers. salary not that great.
The job was enjoyable to be at. It was only a seasonable job from April to November. The chance for getting a full time position there was not good. From Nov to april there was not positions available since they worked a skeleton crew.
wow in a bad way
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Elmont, NYNovember 5, 2013
Pros: lunch break is an hour
Cons: everythign with the exception of a weekly paycheck
horribly long work days, grueling work, pay is ok but underpar for the type of work you are doing, every day i wanted to quit and couldnt have been happier when the company laid me off due to downsizing. best part of the job was the unemployment checks. and that is not liek me to sya this at all i have had hard jobs plenty before but the management – more... was very poor the tools were even worse and yet we were expected to create masterpieces with faulty equipment and punished and penalized if work was something short of spectacular, which my work seldom was despite these horrible work conditions. – less
Excellent Place to Grow
Food and Beverage Coordinator (Former Employee), Saratoga Springs, NYSeptember 12, 2013
• Recruited, trained, and scheduled a full working staff of up to seventy employees.
• Managed total restaurant operations in areas of staff management and customer relations.
• Promoted new business through participation in community events.
• Facilitated the organization and planning of events in coordination with Group Sales
• Operated front house – more... of multiple dining areas including: Aqueduct with capacities of up to 1,000 customers, Belmont with capacities of up to 1800 customers, and Saratoga with capacities of up to 3,000 customers.
• Coordinated directly with Centerplate Catering on staffing levels, menus, and pricing.
• Managed seven month reservation period for The Saratoga Meet and six month reservation period for Belmont Stakes Day (third leg of the Triple Crown).
• Planned seating arrangements for the three a la carte restaurants at the Saratoga racetrack.
• Hired and trained a seasonal staff of fifty hostesses to implement seating plans.
• Oversaw payroll for 7 departments using E-Time.
• Set up dining rooms to accommodate the newest Fire Code of New York. – less
Fun workplace with horse racing and people from all different walks of life
Accounts Receivable/Payable/Admin Assistant (Former Employee), Ozone Park, NYJuly 19, 2013
Pros: holiday lunches
Cons: no 15 minutes break.
My typical day at work was not the same every day. There is no day that had the same event. My core job responsibilities were the same, but because of the position that I worked in as the assistant to the Controller and support for the finance and accounting department my responsibilities were different on a daily basis.

Working at NYRA I was not confined – more... to just my department. I had interactions with other departments, I had interactions even with the patrons. On any given day I never know what to expect, but I learned to be more patient. Patient when an irate patron calls and I am on the phone with them but it's not my department that they really need and they are mad at me. I learned to work in a fast paced environment with a diverse group of people and still leave at the end of the day loving my job.

My managers were terrific. I had a good relationship with my managers

My co-workers were all unique in their own way. We all lived like family because we spent most of our day together. We did a lot of fun things, going out to lunch, going for walks on our lunchtime. I had a relationship with some of my coworkers outside work.

The hardest part of my job was when someone got fired. It was hard because I grew attached to that individual. It became harder when I had to clean out their desk and take their personal belongings to Human Resources.

The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that I worked somewhere that I looked forward to going each morning. My job was never a place that I felt I did not want to go each day. I worked there for almost seven years and my only reason for leaving was because I relocated. – less
Security guard
Security Associate (Former Employee), Saratoga Springs, NYJune 14, 2013
Great job. It consisted of patrol of the grounds and directing traffic
Can be a fun place to work.
Mutuel Clerk (Current Employee), Queens, NYMay 6, 2013
On a typical day, myself and co-workers meet before work. During the course of the day, you will definitely be entertained by the customers as well as fellow co-workers. On this job I learned that people will say and do anything for money and with that you must have awesome customer service skills and not let the ignorance that comes with the job stop – more... you from using those skills. The most enjoyable part of the job i will honestly have to say is when a customer gives a great tip. – less
Rewarding Learning Experience
Security Guard, Horse Track (Former Employee), Saratoga Springs, NYDecember 10, 2012
Pros: good pay
Cons: short breaks, long hours, no sitting
The day started with roll call for all security guards on the shift. Then we assumed our posts where we weren't allowed to sit. Received two half hour breaks throughout the day. Overtime was considered to be optional, however on weekends it was still expected that we remain on post during the extra races.

I learned patience and perseverance, as well – more... as basic security techniques through NYRA's own security guard training course. – less
A lot of friendly people along with not so friendly people
Cashier (Former Employee), Hempstead, NYOctober 2, 2012
you must be a responsible and reliable person because on a slow day you will be handling $6,000. While on a busy day that can double and sometimes triple. There is a lot of independent work because you are a cashier, everyone is assigned their own booth, but you are never alone because there are other booths with other cashiers, and there is security. – more... And most importantly there are the customers. They are happy for the most part, some may not be happy. There is no hard part of this job, and the most enjoyable is being on lunch strolling around the beautiful scenery. – less
Productive and fun working environment.
Mutuel Clerk (Current Employee), Queens, NYMarch 21, 2012
Pros: paid vacation
Cons: no healthcare, sick days, personal days
Its a fast paced environment that demands accuracy at a high level.