New York State Department of Health Employee Reviews

controlling and depressing
Medicaid Eligibility Examiner II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 12, 2017
My typical work day I travel 45 minutes to work in a controlled environment where only certain people can talk and ask questions. We are not allowed to ask questions to coworkers or make any decisions on our own. The only person who has a say is the director. The state pays an outrageous amount of money to staff who are unable to make a decision without having to ask the director first. The state wastes tax payers money on trivial issues. This is my experience in my department. I have never worked in another department within the state so I can only speak for working in my bureau Office of Health Insurance Programs.
Pros
great money and benefits
Cons
controlled atmosphere
Nys doh
NYS Veterans Home (Former Employee) –  Montrose, NYApril 14, 2017
You work hard the patients needs come first and sometimes you might have a wacky supervisor. But the paients come first. I would come home tired but happy
Pros
Benefits health insurance
Cons
mandatory overtime
Productive place to work
Temporary Secretary (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYJanuary 27, 2017
I enjoyed the tasks that I was given to do. The people that I worked with were not very friendly people.
I learned a lot about food service and inspecting places.
I learned to have thick skin and not to let coworkers bully me.
I enjoyed the investigation part of audits
Medicaid claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Menands, NYJanuary 17, 2017
I enjoyed processing claims for medicaid , i would answer calls and provide knowledge to billing questions. assist in internal fraud investigation within the medicaid systems
Pros
i would of enjoyed over time
Cons
no over time availible
Positive
Public Health Educator (Current Employee) –  Central Islip, NYJanuary 12, 2017
Great Company Loving how I can help my patients. I love that I am able to keep the public safe through my efforts . Working hand in hand with medical Providers.
Pros
Advocating
Great Place
Client Support Specialist/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 6, 2016
Great Place to work the people was awesome the hours was great and the snow days was even better. Would of stayed but moved to another state
Fun place to work
Accountant Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2016
Supervisor was very disrespectful to all staff. Put her responsibilities off on everyone else. Had to do your work and her work as well in an untimely manner.
Relaxed and positive work environment
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 7, 2016
Relaxed and positive work environment. While the workload is substantial it is not overly stressful. The people I work with are approachable and available.
Excellent place for employment
Public Health Nutritionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2016
The atmosphere at NYS DOH is very laid back, but work is expected to be done in a timely manner. Supervisors are amenable to all sorts of questions and queries and are very helpful to the employees below them.
Pros
Hours worked are hours paid for
Cons
Productive and freindly work atmosphere
Agency Program Aide (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 2, 2016
Productive and extremely busy, importance of Laws and Regulations serving our senior population, managements open door policy, working with friendly co-workers, high phone volume, customer satisfaction.
Same as previous
Medicaid Review Analyst II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 3, 2016
As stated in my prior write up. Summary: I loved my work and remain dedicated to the New York State Medicaid program. I hope to continue to be involved in the program in some manner on a part time basis.
Busy Work Place
Office Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2016
Interacting with different clients, learning the ends and outs of the Health Care area. Helping clients improve the quality care they are getting
Horrible advancement
Data Abstractor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 27, 2016
There is no desire to see their employees succeed. Poor management. Much of the department is focused on putting down others
Interesting mix of people, exposure to different projects
Training Conference Consultant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 8, 2015
At the Department of Health, I worked on a variety of projects. A typical day would involve both research and writing, as well as some development and organization for a training program (including ochestrating some of the logistics for the program--getting participants on-board, sending out information, reserving the facility, etc.).
Pros
Interesting people
Customer Service
Health Systems Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 15, 2015
Arrived at work eager to help applicants fulfill the requirements to become eligible to take the national examination.
Pros
free parking
Cons
Disappointment when applicants did not pass the exam.
Great Daycare
Morning Assistant Bell's Daycare Service (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 9, 2015
Great Daycare to work at. I enjoy working with kids. I loved working for the Daycare, pay wasn't great but an enjoyable job.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
pay
Great learning environment
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 5, 2015
The past two summers I worked full time as a Student Assistant at the New York State Department of Health. This position included reviewing quality assurance programs for formulary maintenance and Medicaid Managed Care Plans. Strong attention to detail was required for retrieving data from numerous online sources and utilizing multiple Excel spreadsheets. I am to grasp new topics very quickly.
Senior SAP BASIS HANA Consultant
Senior SAP BASIS HANA Consultant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 27, 2015
• Provide leadership and technical direction to team members and consultants
• Management and resolution of problem tickets
• Plans, manages and communicates system maintenance activities Migration of SAP BW 7.3 on Oracle database to SAP BW 7.4 on HANA database
• Usage of SUM/DMO tool for Upgrade/Migration.
• HANA stack upgrade and administration
• Backup/Recovery and security of HANA
• Installation of HANA client and HANA studio and performing post installation steps
• Monitoring SAP HANA system landscape
• Starting and stopping of SAP HANA systems
• Configuring data replications with SLT and DXC
• Working with DBACOCKPIT for scheduling backups
• Creating database users and roles in HANA studio
• HANA database security.
• Experienced in using various HANA database tools like HANA studio, HLM, HDMLCM
• Knowledge on SDA and integration if HANA with NLS(Near Line Storage) systems like Hadoop.
• SAP OSS note management to drive resolution
• Version maintenance of existing landscape
• Performance tuning and optimization
• System health checks and proactive maintenance
• Backup and recovery
• Administration of system transports and change control
• Landscape synchronization activities such as system clone and refresh activities
• Development and enforcement of process and procedures
• Participation in the development and execution of SAP landscape strategies
• Works directly with 3rd party system integrator and application support teams
• Administration of SAP Systems (HANA, ECC, CRM, PI, SOLMAN, BW, EP, BOBJ) on HP-UX 11.x, SUSE Linux and Oracle 11g
• Significant
  more... hands-on knowledge of SAP modules including ECC, CRM, PI, EP, MDM, CE, BODS, BPM, TREX
• knowledge and understanding of SAP modules including WWI, Content Server, GRC, ADS
• Significant hands on knowledge of system management toolsets including Solution Manager, CHARM, CTS+, NWDI, TDMS, LVM, Early Watch, WILY, SMD, CCMS
• Installation of standalone SAP Netweaver Gateway 2.0
• Strong working experience in both ABAP and JAVA stacks
• Configuration of Gateway and backed systems.
• Applied corrections and OSS NOTES according to EWA report suggestions.
• Performed Net Weaver Administration, Performance Tuning, and database index analysis.
• Troubleshooting J2EE patch related problems, J2EE start/stop problem troubleshooting, J2EE memory management.
• Taking care of adapters, communication channels, registering and de-registering queues, any issue coming on the PI systems and trouble shooting and performance tuning.
• Performance monitoring and troubleshooting to any issues coming for SAP ECC and SAP BW.
• EHP upgrade from ECC EHP 5 to EHP 7
• Managed the Log files and logs related to Database, OS, Backup
• Transport, analyzed the ABAP dumps, Monitored the buffers and logs
• Support packs, kernels upgrade and any corrections through SAP NOTES
• Client administration, Workload analysis.
• Running RTCCTOOL report and preparing system EWA report generation
• BASIS Support during project go-lives
• Performed Database enhancement, performance tuning and monitoring, including
Table space administration, SAP data dictionary and Oracle database objects.
• Index Analysis and Expensive Statement Analysis.
• Buffers admin, backup and recovery strategies, Database logs
• Working with primary and fail over databases.
• Developing scripts to automate processes at database level and OS level activities
• Monitoring of data loads and enhancing query performance
• Applied various SAP notes and modifying profile parameters and daily system checks
• Hardware sizing of various SAP components.
• Defined roles and user groups and maintained Security in SAP.
• Audit logs & Security logs, SOX and SOD. Risk analysis for profiles, roles and authorizations.
• PI and BI functional monitoring
• Support during monthly renewals
• Oracle upgrades from release 10.2 to 11.2 and Oracle bundle patch upgrade
• Configuring central monitoring system (CCMS) for whole SAP landscape in SOLMAN
A great job where you're able to learn the many different aspects of business and government no matter which department you get to work in.
Administrative Specialist / Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 8, 2015
When I started with the Department I wasn’t even able to tell you who the Governor was, but working with the NYSDOH I've learned a lot. A typical day consists of answering phones, emails, problem solving and long hours on the computer. Everyone for the most part is on the same time crunch and we work together to complete the tasks.
Pros
Stability, benefits and retirement
Cons
Parking
Productive and understanding workplace.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 20, 2015
Everyone works as a team and is very understanding. I learned a lot about data entry and how to handle phone calls from people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York State Department of Health. Our community is ready to answer.

New York State Department of Health Reviews by Location