New York State Education Department Employee Reviews

productive
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 14, 2017
I loved working for NYSE Department. It was a peaceful environment. Co-workers were helpful and friendly. My job duties were just input education documents.
great place to work
Custodial Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 2, 2017
NYSDOE is a very good place to work. it has great benefits and a competitive salary and pension plan for all of its employees. it provides many opportunities for advancement.
Great org.
Java/J2EE Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2017
A great org. to work with. Enjoyed working with these guys. the work pressure is less and the amenities are great. I would love to get a chance to work with them again.
learn while teaching
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYOctober 31, 2016
A great way to be able to teach students who are in need of learning subjects that they are weak on. Worked with NCLB students who were facing financial hardship and came from low income families.
Sr. Business System Analyst/Scrum Master
Sr. Business System Analyst/Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 27, 2016
• Experience in assisting project team leads in tracking budget and status of multiple medium and large scale projects, and also maintained all process documentations using MS Visio.
• Expertise in tracing requirements throughout the development process and verifying their adherence to Requirement Traceability Matrix (RTM).
• Extensive knowledge of Databases, Fact-Dimension Schemas, Data Marts and OLAP operations such as Roll-up, Drilldown, Slicing and Dicing.
• Ensured the project documentations are completed & signed off on timely manners.
• Familiar with RDBMS and able to handle SQL to manage and retrieve data from the database.
• Received many internal and external appreciations. Been awarded the best performing Agent Award from client.
• Experienced in working with Three-tier architecture, and converting business functionalities into Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) models across heterogeneous IT environments.
• Experience working in AJAX, Web Services (SOAP, WSDL), client side validation and server side validation.
Pros
good skills
Cons
improve
Challenging place to work
Project Assistant - Special Legislative Projects (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 25, 2016
NYSED was a challenging place to work; necessary to learn a new State government computer application to verify grants/contracts; limited number of people had experience using application; difficult be able to get assistance when there were issues with grant submissions or with the computer application; position was a temporary job
Pros
pay, benefits, hours of work
Cons
temporary job, poor management support; little assistance resolving important issues
Productive and Great place to work
Education Program Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 23, 2016
I have worked at NYSED Office of the Professions most of my life it opened my eyes to a world I may not have seen. SED was great to me and my children and I was great to them in return.
Benefits
Cons
The distance I have to travel now
Very well-oiled machine in the office of diverse, wonderful people
Office Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 23, 2016
The summary says it all. They let you do your job, waste no time in asking for assistance and the pay and benefits are terrific.
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 12, 2015
Loved going to work everyday. All staff members were helpful and team work was an A plus. This was a great place were to work.
Rewarding
Associate in Education (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJune 8, 2015
A typical day as an Associate in Education for Students with Disabilities include providing technical assistance to parents and school districts to insure students with disabilities receive required programs and services in accordance with the NYS Commissioners Regulations.
Pros
assisting school districts in providing required services to students with disabilities
Cons
civil service position

Want to know more about New York State Education Department?

Ask a question
Productive and interesting place to work
Keyboard Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 18, 2015
I enjoyed working for the NY STATE Education Dept.I was a front desk receptionist and enjoyed working with people and doing data input. My typical day was to meet and greet clients answer any questions they may have about the confidential program. I answer phones, typed and posted itineraries online and to proper persons. Billing and coding and setting up meeting rooms for attorneys. The hardest part of the job is when we could not meet a clients needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customer service contacts.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Downtown
Good work experience
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 24, 2015
I learned a lot about proper management approaches. I also learned valuable skills need to perform compliance audits.
A lot to learn and fun to work
Intern (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 16, 2015
I work there as a Software developer trainee where I am exposed to new technologies and learn every single day from my mentor and by myself.
A good workplace to explore your talents and learn new things.
Software Developer Intern (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 9, 2014
Every day at NYSED is a new day to learn things and face challenges. I learned practically how a real workplace would be interacting and working with different people.
This was a great job
Office Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 2, 2014
I loved every second of being at this job and i wish i could go back. Just need to figure out how to apply
Great way to support young people in finding their futures
Reading Specialist K-12 (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2013
This is a field that requires great energy and commitment. Other teachers are wonderful colleagues and the students challenge us every day with new ideas.
Great learning experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 28, 2013
This was used as an internship for my Phd and was overall a valuable learning experience.
Fun workplace
Clerk 1 (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 7, 2012
It is crucial to keep everything numerically in order at this position. The hardest part of the job was motivating others to do tasks. No matter what the situation, the work always had to be completed in a neat and timely fashion. A typical day at work would include doing the necessary jobs and requirements to administer all New York State testing.
slow pace
Educational Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 6, 2012
7-3 typical work day
assessment
great co-workers
no hard parts to job
committee work
Pros
setting policy
Cons
very dry work
The best place to work if you want to advance in your career.
Administrative Support Clerk/Keyboard Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 4, 2012
A typical day at work was very rewarding and the learning experiences vary. The employees are always friendly and very knowledgeable. There's always someone willing to help you along the way.