NEW YORK STATE OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL Employee Reviews

Hostile environment, poor morale
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Suffolk County, NYAugust 28, 2017
5 1/2 year ago the Suffolk Office was the premier place to work. The office atmosphere was dynamic. Fast forward I wouldn't recommend working there to my worst enemy. RD is a vicious, vindictive, incompetent bully. Office morale is at an all-time low. Huge office turn over due to the RD forcing staff out by making their life miserable. Upper management looks the other way. Current office manger is incompetent, a spy who rats on coworkers to the director and delegates her job duties. Current chief auditor is also an incompetent who delegates her job functions.
Benefits
Cons
Poor work environment
Nepotism, favoritism and bureaucracy
Legal Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2017
Not at all what I expected.
For what is required they don't provide much.
Management doesn't guide nor support. Notoced intensed spitefulness
Nepotism, favoritism and bureaucracy. Smoke and mirrors.
Pay isn't worth the headache and unfair treatment.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Supplies, no advancement, work life balance, no acknowledgement
Great Work Place
Student Assistant/ Mediator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2017
Review incoming complaints to the bureau, draft correspondence to businesses and consumers, update the Oracle complaint database, conduct mediation between opposing parties, prepare affidavits for the Assistant Attorney General’s, conduct operational audits, maintain departmental files, provide project support for the bureau, and comply with all confidentiality laws.
Go Private sector or district attorney
Assistant (Current Employee) –  NYMarch 29, 2017
Been an employee for almost 12 years. I must say it's become progressively worse than better. I stay for the health benefits. The last two Attorney Generals didn't care about employees. I've seen so many people leave or get fired the last 3 years. Management is awful and turnover is high.
I agree with the other reviews, pay is terrible. Unless they make up a position and high salary for you.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
Criminal enforcement bureau
It looks good on your resume
Assistant Attorney General (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 14, 2016
The current administration is vicious, vindictive, morally corrupt and they constantly micromanage. There are too many cons than pros. The last 4-5 years the turn over has been increasingly and insanely high because of the new administration. The chiefs micromanage and take credit for your hard work and leave you out. If you're not liked by the higher ups, they will make your life a waking nightmare. The workplace morale is low, LOW.
The AGs office looks great on paper if you want to go to the District Attorney Office after Law school and need the experience. But unless you play by their rules don't expect to be recognized for hard work.
Co-workers are good but management is unprofessional and unpredictable
Pros
Health benefits, colleagues
Cons
Micromanage, low pay, current administration
Great experience but terrible pay.
Assistant Attorney General (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2016
The Litigation Bureau of this office is a great place to work for if you're looking to increase your civil litigation experience. Note, however, that the low pay and limited office resources create a high level of turnover among the office's junior attorneys.
A great place to learn and grow
Mediator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 10, 2014
The New York State Attorney Generals office has been of invaluable importance to me. I have learned so much from attorneys, mediators and consumers alike. I worked at the Harlem Regional Office - it is a community run office that works on behalf of the people of upper Manhattan and The Bronx. As a result, the mediators experience first hand the economic frauds that plague the lower income and immigrant populations of the community. We work individually with consumers, and are taught to work tirelessly to bring justice to them. Many investigations were started out of the research conducted by intern mediators. If we saw consistent and repeated patterns of fraud from a company, we brought it to the attention of the assistant attorneys general so that they may begin the process of taking the business to court. The Harlem Regional Office has also taught me how to manage difficult personalities, accommodate individuals to the best of my abilities, and maintain composure when conversations between businesses and consumers became unprofessional.

What I learned in the Harlem Regional Office is immeasurable. I am happy I got my start there.
Law
Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 23, 2014
Working with them gave me the opportunity to help people whom were less fortunate or uneducated of the laws and rights as individuals.
Pros
Teaches you how to become more professional
Cons
Not hiring
Great morale
Office Intern - Budget & Fiscal Management Bureau (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 6, 2014
I was a student intern for this company, it was great to work for. I loved working under the CFO. My direct supervisor was great when it came to management as well. I did not have to work with the public which was nice. I was in charge of all of the states travel credit cards, issuing and cancelling them. That was a very big responsibility.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Working under the politics
Productive and a fun enviroment
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2012
Busy, filing lots of complaints. Learning experience love working for the internet Bureau
Pros
lunch
Cons
breaks