New York State Senate Employee Reviews

Political Position
Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYNovember 28, 2017
This position was temporary that lasted for three months. It was a great experience to work with government officials and campaign staff, as well as the senator candidate.
Pros
Experience in politics
Cons
High stress
Fulfilling temporary work
Legislative Aide (Former Employee) –  NYS Senator's OfficeNovember 20, 2017
I provided constituent service, researched legislation and advised the NYS Senator. The job included many responsibilities I had done before. I really enjoyed helping constituents and advising the Senator. The hardest part was leaving as I filling in for a sick employee.
Pros
Exciting and fulfilling position
Community Liaison
Community Liaison (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 14, 2017
You meet great people and attend once in a lifetime events. You are introduced to top politicians, attend high end political events. It is a great networking experience. The office environment is very relaxed and laid back.
Pros
Great insight into legislative process.
Cons
If you are a family person the job takes up alot of your evenings and weekends.
Hard to quantify
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 21, 2017
Fine place, day-to-day. Major structural flaws, though, in terms of overall leadership and direction. It's politics, though, so you kind of know what you're getting into.
We Programmed
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 19, 2017
We were responsible for writing code. We had to present the work that we were making to our office. We had to learn the nuts and bolts of the projects code.
Quick paced environemt
Legislative Aide (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 17, 2017
Fast paced job with ever changing needs. Helping with constituents, budget analysis, and drafting and research of legislation. Long days during budget and session. Work events on own time, weekends. Dependent on office.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long hours, not set time
Fast paced vibrant work environment.
Legislative Director (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 6, 2017
The State Senate is a wonderful place to work. No two days are ever alike, you have an opportunity to effectuate change and grow as a professional in the process.
Summary
Intern (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 8, 2017
Great place to work, learned Java, Git, Linux. Hardest part of the job was understanding code that was already written by previous developers. Most enjoyable part was getting correct results from my test programs.
Productive work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYJune 5, 2017
A typical day at work was either slow or fast paced depending on what was going on in either national or local politics that day. I answered phone calls, placed orders for supplies, answered emails, did intakes for constituent complaints, helped organize around the office, etc. It was my first office job so I learned a lot about how an office runs, the daily ins and outs, how to deal with disgruntles people on the phone and just how to act in general in an office environment.
Fun and interesting
Intern at New York State Senate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYApril 18, 2017
I got to do a ton of amazing things and met many wonderful people. My tasks ranged from constituent email management to collecting petition signatures at a public pool. There were several interns who all had different work schedules and backgrounds. The work environment was good, and the office was very nice.I learned a lot about how political offices interact with their communities and how to positively impact the community I represent.
Pros
Fun experience, Relatively light workload
Cons
It was during the summer of 2016, so the climate was very heated - in both the weather and political senses.
Very challenging
Secretary / Director of Finance, SDC (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 4, 2017
The work is extremely rewarding but the environment fosters some toxic relationships and is NOT family friendly. The management structure and protocols are not well defined. Staff becomes entrenched and it is difficult to assign or reorganize new roles and responsibilities.
Pros
Working for the citizens of the State
Cons
irregular and unpredictable hours
Government, Constituent Work
Deputy Policy Director (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYMarch 14, 2017
Rewarding to make a difference in the lives of constituents, attend community and civic meetings across central Suffolk County. Meet and interact with a variety of local government officials and their staffs.
Pros
Local government access.
Cons
Long hours.
When not at work, you have to think about work
Deputy Chief of Staff (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 12, 2017
A typical work day is helping people, businesses, organizations find solutions.

The job has enabled me to learn what type of services are available and where to turn for help.

Hardest part of the job is, having to tell people I can't help them. To always be on call for the Senator, while on vacation, personal or sick days.

Workplace culture is paranoid, competitive and unstable.

I enjoy helping and finding solutions for people and communities. I enjoy managing and mentoring interns.

I enjoy building and maintaining relationships.
Pros
I enjoy building and maintaining relationships
Cons
Not being fairly compensated for the work
Senate
Policy Advisor; Senator Todd Kaminsky (Former Employee) –  Rockville Centre, NYMarch 12, 2017
I found it very beneficial meeting and contacting various individuals throughout the county. It was definitely interesting working for a senator during the election season.
Photographer/Digital Archiver (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 30, 2017
Great experience. Great meeting the Senators. Responsible for recording the history made by our 63 NYS Senators. Also accountable for digitally archiving all photos for historic preservation.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
No job security
Exciting Government Workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 3, 2017
Leaned a great deal about how the NYS Government works and how a bill becomes a law. Worked with some very competent and motivated NYS Senators, Assemblymen, and employees.
Pros
Every day is different, great beneftis
Cons
Some days were very long
Counsel (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2016
Direct contact with many elected officials, high level of responsiblity assigned early on to most employees. Things can be tight on a government budget, but employees are forced to be resourceful.
Pros
Dedicated staff
Cons
Travel
Very fulfilling organization
District Representative (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 1, 2016
The hardest part of the job is maintaining a balance of your personal life and work. A typical day of work involve approximate 10-14 hours a day.
Pros
State benefits
Cons
No breaks
Stimulating, fast paced environment.
Director of Communications (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 4, 2016
Greatly enjoy writing press releases, quotes, speeches, website content, etc., as well as planning round table discussions, press conferences and photo shoots; meeting deadlines; acting as a liaison for state officials, speaking with the media and learning something new literally every week. I have met and worked with some of the best, brightest and most generous staff members.
Pros
Working with great people and helping the average citizen cut through governmental red tape.
Cons
Parking in Albany!
Could be a challenging place to work
Legislative Director, (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 14, 2016
I was a budget examiner (25 years and Director of Legislation (5 years) for the NYS Senate. I worked quite a bit with constituents and private industry.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Could be stressful