New York State Employee Reviews

Fun Place to work
Techno Functional Consultant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 18, 2018
very friendly place to work and it can be really challenging at times.

fun place to work every one is cooperative, competitive environment to work in
Continual Learning
High School Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Margaretville, NYJanuary 12, 2018
The best part of the day is working with the diverse students at Margaretville Central School. I typically spend 8-10 hours/day planning lessons, learning new skills, and correcting assessments.
INSURANCE EXAMINER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2017
Working for the State of New Your was great. Travel to cities across New York State was very exciting. As a field examiner co-workers were very supportive. Management was very competent and easy to talk to, office doors were always open.
Pros
Professional atmosphere
Cons
Hard to make and keep friends due to the nature of the work.
Government Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 20, 2017
It was a great place to work, I enjoyed coming to work each day know I would make the lives of those in need better. The hours were great. Staff were great and very helpful.
Pros
No day the same
State Job
Janitor Porter (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 18, 2017
To much labor and less pay. couldn't get along with the people. a lot of the staffs had a attitude. the hardest part of the job for me was learning to take criticism
Pros
volunteer
Cons
the people that was around me
Dont make the same mistake I did
Ust/Nurse Technician (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 17, 2017
I have worked at this place for about two years,and I absolutely hate it...I am currently looking for a different job right now because this place is absolutely terrible...Yes there is opportunity for advancement in the medical feild,but it's not worth it.You deal with way too much working here, especially higher ups who treat nurse assistants,and nurse technicians like s**t.The nurses make you do all the work,they are lazy,and all they ever do is sit at the nurses station,and laugh and talk,or be on their phones nonstop, and they eat at the nurse station,while you as the nurse assistant is running around doing vitals,cleaning patients,stocking the rooms,doing fingersticks,and answeing call bells nonstop.Don't even get me started on being a sitter aka (ust)...worst job ever.You will literally be stuck in a room with a patient that is crazy.Like literally someone that needs to be in restraints,or you will sit with patients that get aggressive,and scream and curse ,and hit you all night.The nurses barely if never,give the patients medication to calm down, or help relax the patient,and by the time they give the patient medication they finally fall asleep because you have been fighting eith them all night.The nurses get mad when you ask for a break from sitting in a room with a patient for 8,12,or even 16 hrs.Some floors dont even give you a break at all!!!Staffing is a joke because they are so disorganized,and never know what's going on.You get moved all over the place.There is no structure there.You will be mandated often.If you work an 8hr shift you can be mandated to work up  more... to 16hrs...good luck trying to have a life,or love life working here.I really wish someone would have warned about how bad they treatmen is here,because I never would have applied to work here if I knew I was going to be dealing with all this.This job will make you go crazy.It will give you depression,and make your anxiety go through the roof.Please do not apply here.Maybe other hospitals are better,but this hospital is terrible.Oh yeah they pay every two weeks,and they take a lot of money out of your check.Parking is not free,even the though this hospital can afford it.They are just greedy and money hungry.  less
Pros
Room for advancement, unlimited overtime
Cons
Too many to count
Work Profile
LEGISLATIVE DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 5, 2017
I worked for the NYS Legislature and it is not a job that can be summed up as typical. The Legislature calls upon its employees to do a variety of tasks depending on what you were hired for. If you have a certain background you may find yourself involved in many activities that might be outside what you thought you would be involved in when you were hired.

The ot for the faint of heart, you must be tough and ready to work when called upon day and night!. There are rewards and your performance may be duly noted at times, but the Legislature can be a hard task master and if you are not flexible enough for it demands, get out! I had good times and I had stressful times and after while I really did not want to do anything else the Legislature had become myg home, my surrogate, my babysitter. The Legislature was a part of my inner being. It not for the changes that eventually occur in upper management over time, I suppose I would still be there. The is no other organization like it.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Hours can be a problem
Overall, not happy.
RN (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 20, 2017
Benefits are good, but new retirement does not compensate for the poor hourly pay for nursing staff. Always working short, mandated frequently, and often left to just “figure it out” when short staffed. Expensive to eat at the hospital, unless you’re a doctor, then you get a discount. New lounge wing built for residents, but nothing for nurses to use for relaxation or exercise. Management claims to have your back, but they threaten people left and right and do not support their staff. Very depressing years spent here.
Pros
insurance benefits, school tuition assistance
Cons
short staffed, under paid, unsupportive environment
Process Clerk (Former Employee) –  Central Islip, NYNovember 15, 2017
Liked where I worked, liked the people, liked my job .

Loved what I did , had fun doing. It

Just very unorganized , and fast paced .

Closed to home
was not a fun place to work
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Albion, NYNovember 10, 2017
This was a NYS prison job was stressful and a difficult place to work. Working with murders and gang members was very difficult as you were there to protect them against violence etc.
Pros
benefits were good
Cons
you worked with inmates - murders, gang members etc
Temp vs Permanent
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 18, 2017
The best thing you can do is to take state tests and get hired from a list. Permanent is what you want. But temp is an ok way to start. Once you are in you are good.
This was School
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 4, 2017
This was for school I did not work here. However, in regards to the school it was an excellent school. I would recommend it with out any hesitation. Thank you
Pros
Excellent Curriculum
Cons
Intense
Military work is worth it
Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 4, 2017
Serving on the military for the State of New York was an amazing adventure. The people you meet and the respect you get cannot be put into words. It is something that is felt
Typical day of work
Facilities Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 21, 2017
I walked the grounds checking walls for scratches and that needed for painting, all appliances for electrical work including toilets for plumbing. I fixed everything.
Good people
NYS Veterans Home (Former Employee) –  Oxford, NYSeptember 18, 2017
Good place to work with good people. It's a hard place to work, but that is the case with most healthcare jobs. They treat the residents really well there, so that made going to work much better.
Lots of Opportunity
Education Intern (Former Employee) –  Hudson, NYSeptember 17, 2017
I went to school in New York State. There was always plenty of opportunity in many different fields. I learned many different skills through the different jobs that I was able to work. I gained experience as a server, a farmer, and an organizer.
The last position I had was not very good.
Dining Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 12, 2017
The company was not very nice to their nurses. The pay and benefits were good. The management gave little if any feedback. The workplace culture was very childish. The med pass was at the end of the day when working night and you were at your most tired. The best part of the job was helping the patients.
benefits
Cons
punitive management
Great job
Summer Paint Crew (Former Employee) –  Delhi, NYAugust 28, 2017
The pay and staff are great. Good pay for the amount of work that you have to do. I learned a lot of skills that I will take with me for years to come
Great
New York State licensed realtor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 22, 2017
The place offered a great deal of independence, but I need to make a more stable income.

I want to start a new chapter to my life in working for a stable and rewarding company
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2017
Working for New York State in any career capacity has its advantages:Medical coverage and pension plans; however, you can expect to spend more time at work instead of home.
Pros
Medical coverage and pension plans