New York State Employee Reviews

The programs are all related to public service and non profit. Perfect jobs for dedicated individuals.
Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2016
If you are someone who loves a challenge and salary is not your most important requirement, working in public service and the non profit arena are right for you. There is excellent opportunities to learn a lot and to provide service for people in need.
Pros
These jobs provide opportunities to make a difference
Cons
There is not always opportunity to grow
Its
ITS Contractor (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYAugust 22, 2016
Good place to work. The people are great to work with. The job is fun and i am able to learn new skill. I'm a contractor, so the benefits are not as good as they could be.
Great place to work!
Tax Auditor 1 (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 17, 2016
Each day in the office is never the same routine! Each cases have different issues. The industry of companies are different. Some days I work on 2 cases or more. If a taxpayer calls I need to quickly remember what are the issues of the case and the current status. Leaving good notes is helpful when picking up back the case after a month or two has passed. Also traveling for field visit to taxpayer's location each month is a unique experience. I work with CPA's, CEO's, CFO's and other staff accountant while in the field. A challenge of this position is traveling across county. The logistics of managing travel details, the audit, and the field visit could be a challenge, but with good time management skills it is a great experience! I enjoy traveling and working with professional.
Pros
Travel to a different state each month!
Cons
No one likes the tax auditor!
Productive, but too political
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 2, 2016
Working for NYSOH is like being in a stereotypical high school scene. You have the workers that do what they have to and those that do not; however, if they decide to do something work related, they do not know how to complete the task successfully. Management is political to the effect that promotions are not merit based as much as it is about quote on quote "rubbing shoulders."
Pros
Pay is better then most jobs
Cons
the workload does not match the paygrade
Great benefits.
Developmental Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York StateDecember 6, 2015
Great atmosphere allowing the opportunities to help those that may require higher levels of assistance, while also receiving great benefits.
productive and efficient
Mess Hall Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wallkill, NYOctober 13, 2015
cooking and serving of food.was a main and essential part of the serving line and also helped with dishes and clean-up of kitchen and serving areas.
Pros
down time, fed the population
Cons
low pay, long hours, no benefits
Acceptable
LEGISLATIVE DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 19, 2016
My employment with the State of New York, primarily in the NYS Senate was an experience that was good and bad. I was a very young man when I started in the organization and the job provided me with a life and financial security for three decades. Overtime, it became apparent that I needed to leave the organization because I had outgrown the environment, however I did not leave because their are built in incentives that keep you there until a certain time period. I would not recommend the job to any up and coming young employees, the dynamics are not the same anymore and never will be again.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Stress, job security, co worker problems
Great people and nice place to work
Construction and Project Management (Former Employee) –  Albany, New YorkJuly 28, 2016
Professional organization with dedicated staff. The scope of work varies with every project and every client has a different agenda that is real nice to find solutions to.
Pros
Ability to lean and provide services
Stable Reliable working environment
Associate Publication Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 26, 2016
This was a great opportunity to work in a place that offers a stable work environment. I learned a lot by having my hands in a lot and this position has given me many transferrable skills.
Freelance work
Freelance Court Reporter (Former Employee) –  Various LocationsFebruary 21, 2016
Working freelance has its ups and downs. You can make a lot of money and you can make very little money. Time management is crucial. I learned how to prioritize and set boundaries. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you control how you budget your time such as for vacation and family time. The hardest part of the job is taking on too much work that you have to work into the wee hours to meet the deadlines.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Working alone
Great people to work with
2nd Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Woodside, NYAugust 21, 2015
Great students and teachers to work with. A lot of politics and red tape working for a big department. Great benefits and retirement plan.
Great Place to Work
IBM FileNet - Cognos Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 25, 2015
Office of Information Technology of New York State is great place to practice your technical expertise.
Colleagues are supportive.
Pros
Best Place
Cons
salary
Would not recommend working here
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Rensselaer, NYNovember 1, 2015
I was an correctional officer, started out at less than I should have with college and experience in law enforcement. The staff create problems that lead to riots within the units. If you get injured, which happens to everyone, they threaten your job. They try to force you to lie to your doctors so you can come back to work sooner. They treat you like you are a criminal.
Pros
Pay
Cons
management, job security, staff, treatment of employees
Fast paced ever changing
General Hospitality staff (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 28, 2016
Good job overall, learned a lot from my experiences with events small or large, great people to work with, but no real advancement opportunity.
This place was crazy fun
New York State Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  NYNovember 23, 2013
The long drive and the long hours spent doing very little. I learned a lot about the many different cultures. Co-workers were enjoyable to work with. The hardest part of the job is getting there. The most enjoyable is the closeness of the officers.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Travel
challenging yet rewarding
Recreation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 3, 2015
Currently functioning as a Recreation Coordinator a typical day would be greeting the individual every morning, completing paper work, scheduling community outing and setting up recreational activities. Servicing a more fragile population, which present a little challenging; I am learning to coordinate individual activities with the intended individuals schedule. I work well with management and co workers in the planning and scheduling of community inclusion outings. The most difficult part of the job is trying to make sure none of my individuals feel left out. the individuals I work with are non ambulatory and need hand over hand assistance when engaging in activities. The most rewarding or enjoyable part of my job is seeing my individuals smile.
Pros
personally rewarding
Cons
Interesting and different work without getting boring
Tax Examiner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 1, 2014
Typical days varied. I had to deal with all different personalities and situations. The people were very nice to work with. The hardest part was finding people who owed money and going places I hadn't been to before. The most enjoyable part was a nice office,good benifits
Pros
healthcare, vacation time, interesting work
job satisfactory
Assistant (volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 10, 2016
I volunteer here and i like how they work with you and that there are people working with people to get a job. I am considered an good helper, listener. the staff is respectful, give me advice about anything i ask. The most comfortable place to work at.
Pros
help people on the computer
Cons
job plus put me here but im loving it
good place to work
Plant Utilities Engineer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 12, 2016
I learned a lot at NYS/ OGS about the various fields required for the job.The most enjoyable part of the job it's very rewarding place to work.
work friendly environment and teamwork orientated
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Altona, NYFebruary 5, 2016
Days varied from mowing lawns to taking out trash. I also cleaned multiple facilities. Building upkeep was a must. The hardest part of the day was the weather. The best part of the job was the constant movement of the work.
Pros
the team work
Cons
at times the down time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York State. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2