New York University

New York University Employee Reviews

Good experience
Office Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 29, 2015
It was nice working in the office during studies. Not very stressful, good colleagues. I used to work as an office assistant in the Oliver Smith Library. It was a great opportunity to apply management skills because I was working at school while studying, and also a good opportunity to apply organisational skills
Fun Place to meet new people and interact with your peers
Photographer (Current Employee), Manhattan, NYJuly 20, 2015
The hardest part of my job is making sure that the whole team is on the same page. If someone doesn't know about a specific plan or lesson or tactic, the whole thing fails. I normally hand out schedules and escort high school students to the classes because its a program that NYU has funded for high school students to prep for college and also gives them academic help in their high school studies. I've learned a lot about interacting with people of various ages and being able to take constructive criticism well.
Teach and be taught
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Free food
Cons: No breaks
Every week there is a discussion on how to pitch students the topics during recitation. Ideas are bounced back and forth between co--workers and a decision is made. During the recitation session questions are encouraged and answers are researched facilitating everybody to learn at the same time.
Productive work environment and fast paced.
AVP Assistant & Diversity Educator (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 13, 2015
Productive work environment and fast paced. Work with high level administrators on a daily basis and implement programming for thousands of NYU students.
Great place to get trained as postdoc
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 9, 2015
NYU is a great school with great faculty and resources. New York City is fantastic and anyone will enjoy having the opportunity to get trained in this great place
NYU: A mixed bag
Program Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Tuition benefits, good health coverage, plenty of free time, short hours
Cons: Bureaucracy, lack of development chances
There are many bright, friendly, cool people working at NYU Stern, but the low pay for entry level positions combined with a frustrating bureaucracy overall makes my rating less than stellar. NYU is a good place to work if you want to get a graduate degree on the University's dime, but there is not much room for growth or promotion within the job itself. I found it to be boring and tedious on most days. Hopefully you can find a more enriching department or school within the overall University to make the experience better.
great company to work for
Internal Auditor/ Les S.Thompson & Co (Former Employee), New York , NYJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Family free office vibe
Cons: short lunch break
This is a great company, I learnt how to be independent and work with other co-workers. The hardest part of my job was receiving phone calls from clients asking for the status of their refund. My day at work involves calling up clients, performing assigned task etc.
Exploitative, Unappreciative, Corporatist
Clinical Associate Professor (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 4, 2015
Pros: The NYU imprimatur doesn't hurt when it comes to publishers
Cons: low pay, top-heavy, run by overpaid administrators, overpriced for students
NYU is the worst institution of higher education for which I have worked, and I have taught in several universities. The pay for a full-time contract faculty member does not constitute a livable wage in New York City, and the denial of faculty housing for such positions as mine makes finding an affordable apartment to live in almost an impossibility. Thus, many of my colleagues simply cannot afford – more... to live in the city where they work, and go further and further into debt every year. Regardless of one's publications and other accomplishments, NYU treats contract faculty like second-class citizens -- underpays them, over-works them, denies them faculty housing, and treats them like basic chattel for teaching courses.

The university is run like the worst example of U.S. corporations, with top-heavy management, overpaid administrators, lack of faculty governance, and Wall Street charlatans running the place. If I had known then (eight years ago) what I know now, I never would have taken the job and moved from Durham, NC to New York City for a poorly remunerated position at a university with a grossly inflated reputation. – less
Managed Production desk and assisted students with technical questions.
Post Production Technical Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 22, 2015
Pros: Good work environment
This job was decent with decent pay and an enjoyable work environment. Working with the students was the best part of the job. I learned a lot on the job, which improved my day.
Nice environment
Senior Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 22, 2015
Great location. Close to many restaurants and shopping areas. Close to the subway. Surrounded by various cultures.

Gets very busy during the academic year.
Good University, Good Job
Research Assistant (Former Employee), new yorkJune 17, 2015
Good University, Good Job. Not a heavy work. Learned a lot from professor. Easy going co-workers. Experience is important.
Good working environment and Job Culture
Graduate Technical Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 16, 2015
Pros: Good Job Work/Life Balance
Cons: Can increase the pay
Good Job Work/Life Balance, Compensation/Benefits, Job Security/Advancement, Management, Job Culture
Good for a start, Easy job and nice pay rates
Teaching Assistant - Software Engineering (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 15, 2015
Pros: supervisors are usually understanding and supportive
Cons: low pay rates
NYU campus jobs are good for students to make extra money and manage their monthly expenses.
Easy tasks
Appreciation
good work culture
Provided me with great experience
Security Officer (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 12, 2015
Pros: Pay, Benefits, and building a report with students, faculty, and visitors.
Cons: Barely get weekends off unless you have seniority.
Excellent university to work for. I am so lucky to have gotten a job with NYU's Department of Public Safety. Most of the job is hands on interacting with students, staff/ faculty, and visitors. Whether I am checking ids, assisting another officer, or taking a report, I am pleased to do anything I can to help. I have noticed most people who work in this department have already finished their careers and are not quite ready to retire or give up working, but rather unwind. I am a recent college graduate and am looking to start my career. NYU has excellent benefits, staff, and pay; however I do not want to be a Security Officer for my career. I highly recommend this organization.
Productive Environment
Physical Therapy Aide (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 11, 2015
Assist patients through the supervision of physical therapists. Teaching patients stretches and exercises, setting up and putting away equipment, preparing stimulation for patients
Research Intern (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 10, 2015
As a research intern, NYU was a great place to work and meet new people. The work schedule is flexible and there is no stress or pressure. You have to want to do the research because you want to and not because you are required to.
Fun workplace, but job security is an issue
Research Assistant Professor/Research Scientist (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 3, 2015
I really enjoy working with my research group. We get along really well and we have fun doing research and we are very productive and well respected in the world of Natrual Language Processing.

We are good at getting research money. That is the only way it was possible for me to stay at this job for 22 years. However, there are often uncertainties about future funding and this can be stressful.
Productive workplace
Office Assitant (Current Employee), New YorkMay 15, 2015
A typical day at work involves a lot of paper work and computer work. My boss and co-workers are very understanding, patient, and helpful. I never like to miss work for this very reason. They make going to work enjoyable. I learned how to work more efficiently on MS.
The benefits are a plus, management isnt
Licensed Optician (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 15, 2015
The manager is rude. Very hard work with. Its a good environment to work for and the benefits are really good! Love my coworkers, and wished my manager would be easier to work with.
Challenging work environment.
Medical Research Technician (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 13, 2015
Pros: Excellent medical and dental benefits.
Cons: Sometimes the day's tasks became too hectic for one person.
A fast paced challenging environment with routine daily tasks, ideal for anyone who likes working in such an environment, for others such routine might easily become boring. I had access to many seminars, discourses and training for job required certificates which were paid for by the University.