New York University Employee Reviews in United States

Terrible administrative management at the School of Medicine
Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 31, 2015
The management culture at NYU School of Medicine is terrible. Corporate leadership is focused solely on generating revenue dollars; major mandates for administrative changes are made on a near daily basis; employee opinion is never solicited in making decisions, and responsibility for top-down decisions is never claimed by anyone in leadership. The workforce is top-notch. The management is deplorable and absurd.
Pros
Academia industry-standard benefits and hours.
Cons
Atrocious management practices and diffuse leadership responsibility, Little care for employee churn.
Good to place to work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 17, 2016
NYU is so prestigious it's name alone draws the best and brightest from all over the world. The salaries are very competitive, retirement match hard to beat, organizational development great, and the company culture really strives for work-life balance. NYU seems to fall into the same trap that other large universities face - ineffective bureaucracy. Solutions and problems get bottle knocked, change is either too slow or too fast yet either way cumbersome.
Pros
Free lunch events, retirement match, location, competitive salaries
Cons
Bureaucratic
Challenging yet fun place to work.
Assisting in the Duplication of Patient Records (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 17, 2016
A typical day usually involves records retrieval for students and staff. Mainly providing records for the clinical daily appointments. I learned how to be part of a team-based environment and how to deal with people. I didn't have much of a problem with management like some others. The hardest part was dealing with some of the extreme personalities. I've worked with some of the best folks around. What i enjoyed most about the job the great atmosphere i helped create and the casual dress code for my department.
Pros
Casual dress code. Flexible schedule. Job benefits.
Cons
Some difficult co-workers.
Great atmosphere
Campus Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2016
Great atmosphere as well as quality people. Management is flexible with employees from time to time but may not consider the employees personal life balance and scheduling is not stable. Co-workers respect for the job is 50-50 but i value work so i work hard and stay focused on the daily tasks at hand. The hardest part may be trying to balance the work life and personal life and the negative workers but the positive is to stay positive and the many great people working for the university itself.
Summary of Position
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2016
The Executive Assistant position for the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development is a challenging but rewarding position to be part of. A typical work day consists of scheduling for the Vice Dean, creating itineraries for her, organizing agenda and meeting minutes for departmental meeting, and managing the Vice Dean's reimbursements. I am interested in the administrative side of higher education and this is a perfect position to learn that.
My Experience as an Assistant Administrator at New York University
Sponsored Programs Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2015
This is an exceptional University to work for; with a large variety of different ethnic backgrounds from all age groups and longevity with the company. They compensate extremely well with great healthcare and educational packages if hired.

Unfortunately, it was a contract assignment but how I wish I would've been hired by this university. It is an exceptional place both career and organization wise.

I would assist the administrator and senior analyst with the execution of grant awards. I would set up funding for NIH federal and non-federal awards and submit for spending to financial analyst. I did a lot of file management and transferring of funds using the general ledger. I didn't have much contact with vendors or the Principal Investigator however, communication and accuracy is the most important role to doing an exceptional job among co-workers and teams.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Contract to hire process
Great place to work if you do not want to be stressed out.
Manager of Designated and Capital Funds (Current Employee) –  Greenwich Village, NYNovember 9, 2015
Good work place. some areas have supportive management and others do not have as much. Red tape and politics are normal.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to work alongside my colleagues (we are family) and being able to also work alone without being micro-managed.t
Pros
good benefits
Cons
decent salaries-a little low for some positions
Amazing work environment, benefits and growth
Administrative Aide I & II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2016
No day is ever the same. You get to deal with people from all walks of life and get to personally see the growth of students and individuals.

The knowledge you can gain from this University is never ending and the potential growth is all on the individual. Your co-workers push you to be better on a daily basis and seeing all the growth around you makes you want to work harder and be better at your job.

The hardest part was is the fast paced environment and constant adaptation to change.

The best part of this job is the knowledge, skills and people.
Good place to start
DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE, Annual Fund (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2015
Great tuition remission program. Red tape and politics are part of the game, but also avoidable if you're interested in just keeping your head down and working. Work/Life balance is great.
Benefits
Cons
Opportunities for advancement aren't many
Not a long-term place for high performers
Sr. Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 24, 2015
NYU isn't the best place for high performers to work -- salary is lackluster, leadership is iffy and management doesn't hold low performers accountable -- but work/life balance and benefits are stellar. This combination makes NYU a great option if you're looking to work while getting a masters part-time, but probably isn't a great landing spot long-term.
Great Medical Organization
Woman Infant Children (WIC)- Nutrition Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 10, 2016
Having 20 years experience in the medical field. I feel that I have reached a peek, in the healthcare industry. And I am looking for a change and opportunity to develop in my skills. Admiring my management in how they are able to back up there staff when things are a little hectic is what teaches me compassion and respect for my peers. The hardest part of my day is the feeling that I could do more for my clients. The most enjoyable part of my day is helping and going that extra mile for my client or my co-workers. Being a team player is the key to having a successful day at work.
productive and professional place to work
Adjunct Professor, Finance Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2016
I was able to work as a finance specialist at Music and Performing art and as an adjunct at the same department. Meanwhile, I was also able to study for Advanced Certification in Vocal Pedagogy. There are not many people understanding both sides, which are finance and music. I have confidence that I have the ability to manage both sides. Moreover, since I am originally from Korea, I am good at understanding multi-cultures. There are not much hardest part of my job as long as I prepare what I will do in the office and I will teach in the class.
Fantastic
ADRSS Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2016
NYU is the largest independent research university in the United States, yet it also retains a close-knit community that combines the intellectual atmosphere with the myriad cultural offerings and research opportunities. The energy and resources of New York City, providing unique opportunities for research, internships, and job placement. A faculty of world-famous scholars, researchers, and artists teach both undergraduate and graduate courses and foster NYU’s intellectual climate. NYU’s more than 20,000 undergraduates come from all 50 states and over 130 countries. They choose from thousands of courses in over 230 areas of study.
NYU: A mixed bag
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 8, 2015
There are many bright, friendly, cool people working at NYU Stern, but the low pay for entry level positions combined with a frustrating bureaucracy overall makes my rating less than stellar. NYU is a good place to work if you want to get a graduate degree on the University's dime, but there is not much room for growth or promotion within the job itself. I found it to be boring and tedious on most days. Hopefully you can find a more enriching department or school within the overall University to make the experience better.
Pros
Tuition benefits, good health coverage, plenty of free time, short hours
Cons
Bureaucracy, lack of development chances
Provided me with great experience
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2015
Excellent university to work for. I am so lucky to have gotten a job with NYU's Department of Public Safety. Most of the job is hands on interacting with students, staff/ faculty, and visitors. Whether I am checking ids, assisting another officer, or taking a report, I am pleased to do anything I can to help. I have noticed most people who work in this department have already finished their careers and are not quite ready to retire or give up working, but rather unwind. I am a recent college graduate and am looking to start my career. NYU has excellent benefits, staff, and pay; however I do not want to be a Security Officer for my career. I highly recommend this organization.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, and building a report with students, faculty, and visitors.
Cons
Barely get weekends off unless you have seniority.
good pay, nice coworkers, good management
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2016
I really enjoyed my time here, and wish it had been longer. The friends I made while there will be with me forever. The benefits were great and the number of days off annually were great!
Pros
benefits, benefits, benefits!
Cons
winters!
Dependent on Team
Program Coordinator/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 19, 2015
After working at NYU School of Medicine for several years and in several different roles, I have found that my experience varies widely depending on what the team dynamics are. The benefits, however, are fantastic in terms of vacation and commuting subsidies.
Top school with excellent Career Services dept.
Recruitment Coordinator, Career Development Office (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2015
In addition to being known as a nationally ranked top undergraduate and graduate school, I can tell you from direct working experience that NYU has an outstanding career services department. Students should absolutely take advantage of these services.
Productive and Friendly Power System Research Group
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 11, 2016
I have built my career profile in this school! Very prolific group of researchers, passionate and hard working. Good connections to industry!
Research
Assistant Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  nyu medical centerJanuary 1, 2016
An excellent academic institution to work for. Great opportunities for independent research and advancement. Excellent inter department communication and participation in collaborative research.

4.3