New York Employee Reviews in United States

Good learning environment
Managerial Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJune 21, 2016
A typical day at work included interacting with customers using good customer service skills. I learned how to maintain a store in good condition during peak hours. I enjoyed learning about management and coaching co-workers.
sucks but the co workers make it a little better
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2016
management could be a little disorganized and inconsiderate of others.They need to hire better a management team. Besides that the work is pretty simple and the co-workers are more like family. everyone builds pretty close bond. Could get a little crazy with customers and everything but thats retail for you.
productive place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJune 1, 2016
meeting some one new and getting to know them as well. always moving around keeping our selfs busy. focused on customer service mostly getting them to leave with at least 2 items in there bag.
Great experience
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXMay 31, 2016
Enjoyed customer contact and bonding with staff. The customers are a blend of repeat, regular and traveling shoppers. Love the store product selections.
Pros
Good customer retention.
Cons
Less than the average hourly wage pay compared to other retail outlet stores.
Fun work place with customer service
Sales Lead Manager (Current Employee) –  Burr Ridge, ILMay 27, 2016
A typical day at work consists of helping customers with picking out clothing and maintaining a clean well kept store. I have learned a lot about myself and working with others. My management team, that I am a part of, is very understanding and easy to work with. The hardest part of my job is when customer does not understand our coupons. The best part of my job is when one of our frequent customers comes in. I love when we have to move our products around too! It gives the store a nice and new clean look!
Pros
My discount on clothing
Cons
Pay and no benefits
sale asspciate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 19, 2016
typical day is great
how to work a cash register,change the sales, floor sets
management is just really working hard different personal
coworkers are good I like working with them
hardest part it really not a hard part I just work small not hard
enjoyable part is helping people find what they like the most and seeing them happy
Pros
the love in the store and smiling faces
Cons
there are no cons
Busy
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 19, 2016
New York and Company is a very busy retail store, so one should expect to alwyas be on his or her feet during each shift. The manager here worked pretty well with days and hours when requested and the rest of the mangers were fun. One thing about working here is you always have to talk to customers and help them out to try to build sales. That was a very important aspect about eorking here.
Pros
Discounts, scheduling flexibility
Cons
ALWAYS on feet
Modest work place
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Livingston, NJMay 17, 2016
Stressfull. Hard work
I learned great management skills on how to be a team leader.
I perfected my assertiveness and my sklls
very goal oriented
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 28, 2016
New York & Company is a great place to work at. There you learn many factors of leadership and responsibilities. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet new people every day and helping them in any way possible. My favorite part of the job is helping raise money for the St. Jude's Campaign. I enjoy working at New York & Company, the girls there are lots of fun.
Pros
fun personalities
Cons
not enough hours available
High Opportunity for Advancement
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MDApril 27, 2016
Poor corporate communication, however I have seen efforts to improve communication through increased conference calls. Little compensation for lower level associates.
great environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Willow Grove, PAApril 24, 2016
co-workers are friendly
I learned how to work as a team
very welcoming environment
Small company
everyone is like a family
needs an upgrade for the technology there
Very fast pace store, but associates and managers were great with everyone.
Porter (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 5, 2016
Clean all aspects of the store, dusting, stock. Co-workers were very respectful, management was great and the hardest thing for me was lifting, boxes that weight over 50 lbs
Pros
Started 2 hrs before store open
Cons
Store was always dusty
fun
Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Birch Run, MIMarch 29, 2016
fitting rooms great management fun workers cashier stock hardest opening credit cards enjoyable people i work with. always fun never boring
N/a
Sales Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXMarch 23, 2016
It was an wonderful learning experience for me, I learn a lot about myself. I got to get some real management experience. But most of all pleasing the customers.
Working for NY&Co
Sales Associate/Junior Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, NJMarch 1, 2016
Depending on the location you're working at it can be an interesting experience. Like any retail job you have your really good customers and really bad customers. Now that NY&Co is leaning towards customer first anything you do could get you fired. One small customer mistake and it could be a walk out the door. So its simply breaking all the rules just so the customer can get what she wants so she's happy and for her to come back to the store.

I started as a sales associate and worked my way up and became a junior manager(which is assistant manager but they took that out in 2014....but it's still pretty much doing the same thing). The hardest part was promo changes. Now I know that is easy but New York and Company changes their sales everyday or every other day. Its always something different. Making sure the window is correct and that all the signs with the correct pricings are correct. And since that store that I worked at was pretty big, it took up until 12 or 1 for price changes to be 100% done with 2 people.

The one thing that I learned that I will take to the grave with me is never offer information, it will get you in trouble. You only provide the answers when the questions are given.

My favorite part of my job was helping the customers. Creating outfits for them and being able to help them find what they need. Most customers and I were on a name to name base so them coming in was exciting, because you knew what they want and wanted it and was always quick to find what they needed and or always ordered the item because we also never had what they needed.
Pros
great customer base, great deals, great discounts
Cons
strict coupons, stores not on the same page
Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 9, 2016
Give floor supervision
I learned to be patience
I hired staff member recruiting
the most part of the job is making an every day goal.
Pros
good enviroment and great benefits
Cons
weekend hours and late night hours
Productive, fun place to work, friendly staff and customers
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 7, 2016
Day starts with counting drawers and checking for online orders that need to be filled. While keeping dressing rooms clean and floors stocked I have to help customers find merchandise and outfits for various occasions. May have to process refunds, coupons and discounts all while making sure I ask customers to apply for credit cards. Some mornings I may have to unload freight and get ready for new floor sets when new merchandise is delivered. Greet customers to make sure they have a pleasant shopping experience.
Pros
Great customer base and promote team work
Cons
Short shifts, slow business, low pay
not my favorite job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILFebruary 4, 2016
i have 2 kids and the hours are not for me. i need something that is going to give me 40 hours a week. my days are usually very short sometimes i only get four hour shifts. i enjoy some associates.
Productive and fun place with friendly and helpful coworkers
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAJanuary 16, 2016
A typical day at work consists of an abundance of customers throughout the day searching for something that suits them just right for that special occasion. I've learned to assist people to the best of my ability by the information they give me. Also, it is heart warming to know that a customer leaves the store satisfied all because of your input. The management and co-workers are friendly and very helpful. They will answer any question to ensure that the business benefits greatly. The most difficult part of the job is when business slows down due to weather issues or natural causes because there is hardly anyone to assist and satisfy. the most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the staff on duty and watching satisfied customers smile as they exit the store, insinuating that we've done our job right.
Pros
Nice staff, organized and efficient work place
Cons
standing for long periods of time
New York & Company
Junior Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Los Cerritos Center, Cerritos CAJanuary 16, 2016
At NY&CO i have learned a lot of new skills in which i have adapted into my professional listing of skills and as well in my every day life. My team at NY&CO always strive to succeed and are always motivating to meet our expectations.
Every day i walk in with positive attitude and in the mood to have a better day than yesterday,
My hardest part of the day is to try to pick up some else's slack. As a manager I am not equipped to tolerate slack nor laziness. overall, I am a well-rounded creative person and always looking for the better opportunities. I am seeking a job position in which i express so much more.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Communication