Newark Public Schools Employee Reviews

fast pace
Parent Liaison (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJApril 20, 2017
when I was in the classroom my day was always busy and productive. once I left the classroom due to health issues at the time I still had a fast pace day but working with adults and the community
Pros
helping others
Cons
not getting the service people needed
Great compensation.
Academic Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Malcolm X Shabazz HSApril 18, 2017
I have had a great experience working at Newark Public schools. The people and professionalism are excellent. Compensation has always been very competitive and I am completely happy on the financial stand point.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Healthcare
Making sure students received proper education
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJApril 11, 2017
I worked for newark public schools for a number of years and throughout the entire office it was like my second home. We were a family. People beganed to retired and layoffs came and budgets were cut so many people lots their jobs. We worked as a team there. When it was my day for layoff I took a big pay cut just to stay apart of the team because the biggest goal was to make sure the students had what they needed for a great education. Now today I have four children one who's in college but I don't have a secure job. I am very eager to learn new jobs and I learn very quickly. Management was all different cultures but we worked had as a family, team, friends to get our job done.
What I learned
Per Diem Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJApril 9, 2017
The most important skilled I learned is to multitask. Multitasking is key I believe at any job you have. To be on time is a skill I posses also because a minute or two can make a difference. Working at a high school youlearn things can happen very quickly, and it only takes a minute for something to happen. Besides the thoseskills I am dependable, and I will and do work hard
Pros
I have a great supervisor.
Cons
Short breaks
Highly active, safe and instructional gym environment.
Physical Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJApril 3, 2017
maintain a friendly and professional manner. enjoys working with others and satisfaction when completing my duties well. striving for a passionate growth in the maritime industry.
A Teachers work is never done
Elementary & Middle School Teacher, Grades (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 29, 2017
The lists of things to do in a teachers life was insurmountable. The workload caused many people to burn out. But the pay for teachers was really good and at that time the benefits were great!
I have to get the job done !
FSW / cashier (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 20, 2017
Newark public schools is a good place to work especially when you meet good people . You learn different things everyday and there are some good kids that's very respectful and will brighten up your day. You get some people you work with that is very rude but for the most part it's ok . You just have to come to work with a positive attitude, leave everything else at home , stay focus and strive for what you want.
Lasting memories and great work experience
Principal Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 18, 2017
Since I was thirteen I worked at NPS, but became a permanent employee after I graduated from college which was the foundation of my work ethnic that I carried throughout my life.
Family Orientented
Paraprofessional (Teacher-Aide) (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 9, 2017
an enjoyable day. learned a vast amount of things. management ws very nice. A diverse and open culture. The hardest part was trying not to get to attached to the students. The most enjoyable part was seeing the students succeed and being able to move on.
Pros
Getting to attached to the students
Cons
seeing the students leave
meet new people,lasting memories, advancement in your field
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 2, 2017
customer service, how to maintain a calm demeanor during a crisis, helpful info on how to deal with situations outside of the workforce, a typical day at work for me, is making sure the students enter the building safely as well as when they leave they know that they are in a safe environment. The hardest part of the job is watching students grow up and advance in their studies, and you might lose contact with students who have had an impact on your life. The most enjoyable is seeing the students engaging in activities that make them smile nd learn more and gain experience in helping others. I work in a very diverse workplace culture, i learn a new language daily as well as the culture it is very insightful n interesting.
Pros
long friendships
Cons
healthcare
Community Based Work Environment
Special Needs Teacher (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 28, 2017
Everyone including parents and students work as a unifying body to make the learning and teaching experience fun for everyone.
Fun time!
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 28, 2017
Great time covering their events and working with the staff. I enjoyed seeing the students interact with one another. I got to work closely with the staff and meet new people.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long wait to find client
Arts High School is a good place to work
Artist/Designer (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 27, 2017
I enjoy working with the students and our immediate management staff works hard to ensure that we are valued and needs are met.

Newark Public Schools is slightly challenging with all the changes happening currently .
Productive workplace
Elementary Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lafayette street schoolFebruary 17, 2017
Love teaching 1st grade. I work with a fantastic team. Together we create lesson plans, center activities, we modify lessons to meet the needs of our students.
nice work place
Teachers Aide (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 13, 2017
great day dealing with multiple children each day smiles from the parents from us doing an amazing job far as taking the kids off the bus and making sure the parents get they kids everyday on time
Great workplace
Per Diem Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Malcolm X. Shabazz Newark, NJJanuary 17, 2017
My job is great because of the school I work at. I work at Malcolm X. Shabazz in Newark, NJ and the school is ran great. Being that I volunteer coach at the school already with Pop Warner Football it makes my job as an Auto Tech Teacher easier and allows me to work with a lot of the students I already coached.
Pros
Not a hard job
Cons
I am only Per Diem
Inventory Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 9, 2017
Working at the Newark Public Schools is great. I come in have my daily assignments and task in which I do in a timely fashion.
My boss also gives me work throughout the day which keeps me busy and keeps the day going quickly. I process all orders and give to my co-workers to do. We are a team and do what we can to help each other.
Pros
At this employment we have 15 sick days, 4 personal and 20 vacation days and work 35 hours a week
Cons
I have no cons
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 8, 2017
A great job to have, the pay is good. Work is easy, a good job to retire from. Great benefits. Lots of overtime. All around great job.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Politics
Very fun work environment
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 17, 2016
Very great place to work, The management team was awesome and also professional. I recommend this job to college studdents.
The school I currently work at is friendly and productive .
School Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Newark ,NjDecember 12, 2016
I need of a career change as well as stability along with growth . I've been with this company for 14 consecutive years and I'm still per diem . I enjoy what I do but I need more as far as benefits and growth .
Pros
Work hours and Job Distance from Home
Cons
HealthCare, Lack of Time and no Ability to grow within company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Newark Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Newark Public Schools Reviews by Location