Newark Public Schools Employee Reviews

I have a very busy schedule and enjoy working with the children, families, and colleagues
Learning Disabilities Teacher Consultant (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 1, 2016
It is hard to describe a typical day at work as I have worked in many different schools in several capacities. In my current position, my day may consist of meetings, testing students, writing reports, collaborating with teachers or other team members, writing IEPs, or receiving professional development. I have worked for different administrators and have managed to work successfully with all of them, despite different personalities and styles. I have had the good fortune to work with some intelligent dedicated people, which is so important when working on a child study team. The hardest part of the job is when not everyone is vested in helping the student, whether it is a staff member or parent. Also, working in an area where most are living in poverty, it is difficult to see children and their families have to deal with the stress of their environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing results in the children and families I work with.
Pros
Having an important position, working to help others, working as a team
Cons
Lack of resources, seeing what some people have to go through, parking availability
Very enjoyable place to work.
Physical Education/Health Teacher (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 16, 2016
Everyday is enjoyable working with children.
I learn different ways to help and motivate young men and woman.
I am the union Rep for my school, and I assist my co-workers with many different situations.
I deal with the Administration very often with various issues in our school.
The hardest part of my job dealing with the difficult children.
Pros
I love all the sports.
Cons
Great Health Care.
A typical day at work
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 15, 2015
On a typical day I assist families and continually look for resources and support that will impact positively. My duty is to enrich and uplift, Im into building family so that can maintain on their own and be productive adults for their families.
Pros
Free school, lunch, extended day
honestly, the kids made my day.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 4, 2015
The kids were great..Your always going to have a bad seed somewhere.

The educational system needs a major tune-up.
Typical day is a hard one. My student's consisted of gang members who usually bought that into the class-room. I would use it as a "teachable moment"
I learned so many things from them..I had no street smarts, but I can surely handle myself now ..Oh, the new brand of English.. ..WOW!!
I pretty much stayed to myself or was going over lesson plans, co-workers were very helpful in my transition to Newark Public Schools.
Enjoyable part honestly is when the kids came an entire two weeks of school.
Pros
Working with such terrific kids.
Cons
The schools could have been way much cleaner.
Great benefits and retirement
bus driver (Current Employee) –  Newark, OhioNovember 2, 2015
Great benefits and retirement, Good people, Great opportunity for anyone wanting to work part time. improved training. A lot of responsablity transporting students to and from school.
Fun and productive
Teacher aide (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 1, 2015
A typical day as a teacher aide was very exciting working with autistic children they are such delicate children who makes your day feel amazing.
Organization and Management
Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 20, 2015
The school I currently work in could benefit from more organization and consistency. It can become difficult to succeed in class when there are other overarching matters that need to be taken care of.
Newark public schools does not support its teachers
Special Educator (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 3, 2015
I enjoy teaching my students and the help I am able to provide to their families and other people in their lives. However, over the years it had became more about doing a job than helping children.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
too political
Newark Public Schools allowed me the opportunity to work in an environment where I was able to be supportive of my Community,
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 29, 2015
This work environment allowed me the opportunity meet, help and assist many people. The most enjoyable part of this job was working alongside of my colleagues who were also supportive and lived in the Community where we worked.
I enjoy working wth peope
Personal Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 19, 2015
I would recommend that people going there for Health reason. I enjoy working with the people there. The work place is very friendly and enjoyable.
Love to work with my students!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 18, 2015
I taught spanish from different ages and cultural backgrounds. I got along very well with my co workers. I loved the experience of sharing my knowledge and love for languages with my students.
Pros
Summers off, excellent pay, insurance
Cons
not enough preps
Challenging yet enjoyable
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 16, 2015
Position did not allow freedom for providing mental health care.
Prepared lesson plans, IEP's, managed inventory and provided art therapy to children with special needs. Worked under the supervision of a certified Art Therapist, who also was the president of New Jersey Art Therapy Association. Most enjoyable was student interaction.
Good Compensation and Benefits
Clerk/Typist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 14, 2015
I learned a lot working for Newark Public Schools. The experience motivated me to return to school at complete my bachelor degree.
Pruductive
Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 10, 2015
Busy office many phone calls. Parents come to Newark Public Schools concern Pre-K 3 and 4 students.Bilingual Spanish/English.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Close to home transportation
Challenging work environment.
Assist lead teachers (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 18, 2015
Working with special education students. Assisting in making these children feel as special as they are. Supportive work environment. Space to grow and improve. Building friendly relationships with young children.Encouraging troubled children and helping them grow positively
Pros
summers off, learning new things, room to expand within company
Cons
getting punched and/or kicked some days
Keyboarding Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 8, 2015
Working for Newark Public Schools was a great experience. It was a job that everybody wanted to be apart of. Great people, work was fun to do. It was like you weren't even at work.
Services are rendered to Newark students who attend Non-Public Schools that have not acheived a proficient score on the Terra Nova Test administerd.
Title 1 Teacher Non-Public Schools (Current Employee) –  2 Cedar StreetAugust 7, 2015
Work environment is pleasant and leadership is helpful and friendly. Working with ESL students is a challenge because it requires you to think out of the box to discover ways for the students to understand the English language. I enjoy the job because it requires me to be self motivated and at the end of the school year I am amazed at the test scores, growth, and zest for learning that the students exhibit.
Pros
Williness of the students to learn new things.
Cons
No afterschool programs.
You must love what you do
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 4, 2015
As a substitute teacher I had the honor of having my own class for the entire school year. You have to love to teach children because it can get rough dealing with teenagers. I loved my freshman they were so easy to deal with.
Pros
The children
Cons
No Benefits for perdiem
Supportive colleagues, continual professional development
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 4, 2015
NPS is a dynamic and exciting place to work on a daily basis. It strives to provide students with a rigorous and supportive academic environment. The best thing about working at NPS is the collaboration and support from colleagues in the school. The hardest part of the job is getting everything done within a certain time frame and meeting the needs of all students.
Pros
Professional Development opportunities
Cons
Over-crowded classrooms and lack of supplies
Educational entity that I thought I would work until retirement
Keyboarding Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 4, 2015
Since being employed at NPS I had ups and downs. Title and salary changes. Transferred to schools that has no stability and/or administrators have no clue on how to be a productive leader. In the past, they use to have workshops that will enhance our skills, but they cut it out. There's no chances of growth or advancement.
Pros
Teachers, parents and students
Cons
There are truly some dedicated teachers, staff and a few administrators who give who assists parents and teaches the students well