Newark Public Schools

Newark Public Schools Employer Reviews

Fast pace work environment
Executive Secretary (Former Employee), Newark, NJOctober 27, 2014
An Executive Secretary with 13 years of experience supporting four administrators within a school setting. I was entrusted with highly sensitive and confidential information and practiced discretion in making decisions that would impact the school environment. I supervised the clerks in the office and streamlined processes to allow the office to run – more... more efficiently. As a quick learner, I have demonstrated the ability to function at a high level in a fast-paced environment. Quite adept at multi-tasking and prioritizing with a proven ability to work as a team player. My other job related skills include: – less
great place to learn and grow
Teacher (Former Employee), Newark, NJOctober 24, 2014
Pros: urban environment with it's challenges but still rewarding all the same
Cons: difficult if you're not in it to make a difference
its can be tough place to work but the community has always been strong even though all the struggles.
Rollercoster experience!!-in a good way!!!
Teacher's classroom/Personal Aide (Former Employee), Newark, NJOctober 11, 2014
Pros: schedule, pay
Cons: some students can be mentally and phyically exhusting
working in the public school system is so much fun to me, everyone has a different kind of experience, this was my first start in early childhood education and you don't even need a degree or experience. It's kind of one of those things that you learn as you go.
Busy but great environment
CLERK I (Former Employee), Newark, NJOctober 9, 2014
Check emails, process bus transportation, assist parents that enter the office, troubleshoot any problem or situation to ensure student is getting the proper services needed. Schedule meeting for all Out of District case managers. Enjoy the team work in my office especially during our busy season (July-October).
Great Job
Teacher Aide (Former Employee), NewarkOctober 2, 2014
Work days For NPS are always great days. I learn a lot from the teachers I work with.
Educational System
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Newark, NJSeptember 15, 2014
Throughout my years in the school district, I was able to learn many responsibilities while working amongst many different departments. It was a positive learning experience in the administrative field.
Parent Liasion
Teacher Aide (Former Employee), Newark,NJSeptember 15, 2014
Assist the parents with helping them improve their children education. Provide parents with workshops that will help them with everyday living. Answer any questions that parents and children have. Provide a meeting place that the community representatives could have meetings for the parents. Make sure every student has updated attendance daily. Notified – more... parents if student was late, absent or tardy for school. Communicated with the legal department when information was requested. – less
Challenging, diversified work environment
Teacher (Current Employee), Newark, NJSeptember 2, 2014
Newark Public Schools consists of a diversified variety of schools, so it is difficult to review the entire school system. Much of it depends on the particular school in which you are working. It can be an excellent community within which to work, and much of it is what you make of it.
Disorganized
Vice Principal (Former Employee), Newark, NJAugust 29, 2014
It does not feel like it's about the kids anymore. High turnover of good educators looking to have stability in other districts. One school had 3 different principals in 3 months.
a large establishment.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Newark, NJAugust 22, 2014
Pros: versatility
Cons: non permanent teacher position.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the experience working in different grade levels.
Over worked
Literacy Instructional Leader (Former Employee), Newark, NJAugust 17, 2014
Alot of work and the pay was horrible. Things were changing constantly and it was not for the best.
Busy work place
Personal Aide (Former Employee), Newark, NJAugust 14, 2014
Pros: luncheons
Cons: short breaks
I used to love working for here.
I love all my students.
I love that I was able to be there for my students when I was needed.
It was a great experience!
Per Diem Teacher (Former Employee), Newark, NJJuly 31, 2014
Working as a substitute teacher for the city of Newark was great, I was able to meet a lot of like minded individuals. We all share the same interest which was to ensure that the students received the best education possible. The reward comes from knowing that you have impacted a child's life.
My experience as a employee at Newark Public School
Building Technician (Current Employee), Newark, NJJuly 11, 2014
Pros: some paid holidays off..
Cons: good health care
The company is very unorganized, no growth within, no raise and treat employees very unfair, gossip and very unprofessional if you do not know someone within the company you will not have an opportunity for potential growth. There is a lot of scandal in Newark public school would not recommend this company to anyone!
Increased test scores
Special Needs Chemistry Teacher (Current Employee), Newark, NJJuly 10, 2014
Pros: professional development opportunities
Cons: social-emotional issues of students are challenging
The School I teach at is successfully improving year after year and provides its faculty professional development and support.
very good place to work but hard to sustain permanent work
Custodial Worker (Current Employee), Newark, NJJuly 8, 2014
Pros: the learning experience on a daily basis
Cons: traveling all over
learned minor electrical and plumbing duties. also learned how to buff floors strip floors and wax floors properly. also learned to trim tree hedges and maintain lawn properly along with other grounds work. I took garbage out as well and changed bulbs around the schools. these are the things I loved everyday because I love to get my hands dirty. The – more... only part I didn't like was traveling all over the city because the schools changed because I was on call. this job is very likeable because of the people I met during my years of working here and the things I have learned that I mentioned in earlier sentences – less
Came in as a newbie from college and left as a true teacher, counselor and someone who made a difference in many lives
Math Teacher, Counselor & Board Member (Former Employee), Newark, NJJuly 8, 2014
Pros: a real teaching experience with real kids and real problems to overcome.
Cons: too much red tape, but overall very positive
Newark Public Schools does a great job of educating inner city children who have many problems. There are many issues with the system higher-ups but the teachers and learning environment are as good as it can be considering the very difficult situations present.

I had a wonderful experience working with the students, parents and faculty of Barringer – more... HS and Technology High School during my 28 years.

I feel I made an impact on many lives for the better and hope the teachers of today are prepared to give whatever is necessary to allow our youngsters to be successful.
It is not easy, but it must be done. – less
Good
Analyst (Current Employee), NewarkJune 21, 2014
Good
Lots to learn
free lunches
weekly happy hours
Loads of policy changes and challenging atmosphere
Nice place to work
Personal Aide (Former Employee), Newark, NJJune 19, 2014
Pros: great hours
Cons: no workshops for aides
A typical day included shadowing a child throughout the day to their assigned classes, lunch, recess. Make modifications to lesson plans assigned by teacher. Reinforce positive behavior. Management were very busy but were nice people to work with. My co-workers were informative and polite.The hardest part of the job would have to be intervening in a – more... physical altercation among peers. The most enjoyable part would be helping a child accomplish a challenging task. – less
productive and fun workplace.
teacher's aide (Current Employee), newark, njMay 22, 2014
A typical day at work for me is fast paced and detailed, i'm always busy and want more to do. I learned to pace myself and get things done with more efficiency instead of time. In me doing that i've found great results. I got along well with my managers because i do my job and i get things done.my co-workers are fine because i am a friendly person and – more... always give and offer my assistance when neccessary. the hardest part of a job for me is when their is no organization. the most enjoyable part for me is learning new things. – less

1 2 3 4