NewEgg.com Employee Reviews

it is just a job, no career view, laid-off people by seasonal
Account Executive in B2B wholesale team (Former Employee) –  Industry, CAOctober 8, 2015
Peak season, hire many people ; slow season, start to laid-off employees month by month. No job security, all depands on market sales.
stress
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Industry, CAJune 24, 2015
load of stress, weak management, lack of direction, impossible demands with little to no support, very difficult place to have a long career
Call center
Online Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMay 2, 2015
Not the best job
Company needs restructuring

Training was horrible and intermittent - received it as a 'need to know'

Pay was bad
You been warned
Product Manager / Merchandiser Manager (Former Employee) –  Industry, CAApril 12, 2015
Go away. This place is awful. The only good thing is the free dinner if you decide to waste your night staying at work past 7PM.
Great place to work for individuals with a passion to help others
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMarch 2, 2015
I had a pleasant experience working at Newegg.com. Customers were at times challenging and somewhat difficult to work with, although the majority were a pleasant to work with. The way I look at it, is that every call is not only a chance to learn something new, but also an opportunity to make someones day a little better.

Working at Newegg has allowed me to learn both the complexities of a business and the importance of having a company culture that aims to provide superior customer service.

The hardest part of the job for me (when I first started) was taking everything that I learned in class training and applying it to a phone call with a customer. I thought that I management was going to let me go. I am glad they didn't because I otherwise would not have been able to contribute what I did. I sometimes think that my professionalism and the way I spoke to customers over the phone was what (1) allowed me to stay at Newegg.com for as long as I did, and (2) allowed for management to change the culture from the department.
Big company, tough competition
Sr. Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Industry, CAFebruary 3, 2015
It's interesting to work at BSA department, many challenging requirement form user departments. Co-workers are nice and professional. You will never regret work here.
Great learning experience and positive enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAJanuary 15, 2015
My typical day was arriving early to set up my work station and take a high volume of calls from customers. I provided advice and great customer service. I learned the appropriate way to handle escalated customers and help them when they asked for it. I learned to be more patient when it comes to others. Management always checks on us to see how we were doing and supervisors always checked it to review our work for that day. My co-works were great to work beside and we always helped each other when we asked. The hardest part about the job was speaking with a customer and trying nit to have the call escalated. I took responsibility with the problem they were having and I was able to work with the customer and make them happy. The most enjoyable thing about the job was having support from supervisors and co-workers when I needed it. I also enjoined making every customer happy at the end of the call. It made me happy and improved my performance when I hear positive feedback from the customer.
Pros
free lunch, department patries and rewards
Cons
short breaks and constantly being watched every minute
Boot camp every day
Product manager (Former Employee) –  Industry, CADecember 9, 2014
Great place to shop, entirely different story to work there. Was there for six months about ten years ago. Put in 10-12hrs easy daily without appreciation or incentive, very typical of most people there. Learned a lot of what NOT TO DO. Never again.
Pros
great co-workers in similar rank
Cons
poor upper management, work culture, no work/life balance. sweatshop.
Great to their customers; not so with their employees
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Industry, CAOctober 16, 2014
Newegg tends to draw a lot of applications, especially from people in the IT/gaming industries due to their familiarity with the brand. They expect the same kind of treatment they got as a customer, unfortunately that is not the case.

The main problem with Newegg lies in their company culture and management style. Since it was founded by someone who holds to an old management and business style, strict standards are forced on people that are outdated now. Salary employees are still required to clock-in, for instance, and there is no flexibility for working at home. You are also expected to be in your chair at the exact starting time. There is little to no understand of different work styles. There is a certain way to do things here and they expect you to do it.

All of that wouldn't be so bad if there was actually reward for extra work put into the job. Instead, if you take on extra work one time you'll be expected to do that all the time, without raises. Some departments do get bonuses, but it requires sacrificing most of their work/life balance in order to achieve this. There are literally no raises given, not even to account for cost of living increases. The only way to get a raise in pay is to change job titles, but that is rarely implemented, even if you go through multiple layers of approvals. Because of this, turnover is extremely high. Moral is constantly low because when people leave, the ones left behind are expected to do the work of those who left plus their own jobs. They are all about squeezing the most out of you for as little as possible, and they will squeeze
  more... you dry if you let them. Hard work does not pay off, unless you work hard to keep your nose brown. Think Game of Thrones, but less blood and nudity.

HR is literally just there to make sure they don't get sued for violating a labor code, so don't expect help there. The turnover rate in HR is the highest in the company. It's a shame. This place attracts great people to work with, but unfortunately keeps incompetent people in management because they want someone who is easy to control.

Pay is terrible. About 30-40% less than industry standards for this area.

Benefits are just OK: the plans available are not too expensive, but bear in mind that vacation is accrued very slowly over each paycheck. There are no sick days provided. If you get sick, it comes out of your vacation time. They only observe major US holidays, and expect to be working the day after thanksgiving as well, since it is an online retailer and that weekend is one of their biggest in sales.

Just look at the reviews on Glassdoor if you would like another opinion. Out of 200+ reviews, Newegg only has a 1.5 - 1.9 star rating. That isn't great.

It's great on a resume, but not a place to grow.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
everything else
great coworkers, pretty bad management
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Industry, CAAugust 18, 2014
same story as everyone else's. coworkers are great but management is terrible. lots of politics when you reach upper management and critical decisions are made on the fly without thinking it through, leading to confusion and inefficiencies. company is also predominantly chinese so be prepared for a culture shock. salary is also below market but you'll learn many skills by being hands on with almost every project. Newegg is a good stepping stone for your next job
Pros
great coworkers, fast-paced, resume building
Cons
long work hours, no diversity in company, below market salary
productive, fast paced, friendly atmosphere
Customer Service Call Center (Former Employee) –  whittier, californiaFebruary 3, 2014
I enjoyed diversity and equality in this work environment.
Flexible Schedule
Agent Support Helpdesk/ Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAJanuary 24, 2014
Although there is opportunity to move within the customer service department compensation is low and raises don't really exist. Leadership is poor and the culture isn't great. However, they are willing to work with your schedule if necessary to attend school or take care of family.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
poor management/leadership, low compensation
Fun place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAJanuary 23, 2014
I was on the agent support desk. When a phone agent needed suggestions how to handle the call, the agent would contact me, I would provide and suggest how and what to offer to the customer.
Pros
the company often provided free lunch for the entire office.
Cons
the rate of pay was below the standard rate for a call center employee.
Newegg.com
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAAugust 2, 2013
Currently I work at Newegg.com customer service. I enjoy the job because it is fast paced and i love working with my coworkers. The compensation is terrible here though with no advancement or raises. A typical day at work is logging into your system daily taking phone calls for 8 hours with 2 10 minute breaks and a one hour lunch.I actually did learn a great amount here since this was my first customer service job over the phone and the experience gained will be great for future jobs but there is no movement or pay increases at this job not worth your time past a year of employment.
Pros
benefits, monday thru friday schedule, flexible with pto requests
Cons
no advancement, no raises, very repetitive
A place that have a good work environment
Electrical and Mechanic Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 15, 2013
A typical day at newegg.com is maintaining and repairing machinery. I have advanced my electrical and mechanic skills.
changes daily
Verifications fraud analyst (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CADecember 18, 2012
Hours were unpredicatable they changed daily non managment employees were treated like children
Cons
everyone went to lunch and breaks at the same time
easy going work environment
Inventory Agent/Forklift Driver (Certified) (Former Employee) –  memphis, tnDecember 11, 2012
bad management, prejudice human resourse woman( i walked in on her on the phone making racial slurs). a manager that stole money and product from the company
Pros
christmas give aways
Cons
horrible managers
Fast and Fun Call Center Enviroment
Call Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CANovember 28, 2012
The morning shift of 5:30-2:30pm was a great way to start the day. New tasks and reports to run on a daily basis. Hit Call center goals and work with agents to assure they are properly trained to assist customers
Pros
free lunches, activities, meetings, benefits
Great Platform
SENIOR MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Industry, CANovember 15, 2012
Best and Worst experience of my professional career at Newegg. Learned a lot there and really made a difference. However, the company cannot retain talent and many people left due to frustration
Pros
empowerment to the pm
Cons
high pressure, political
Great Company, Long Hours
Accountant - AR Billing (Current Employee) –  City of Industry, CAAugust 17, 2012
Great work environment with awesome benefits and decent company perks. Management is very understanding and easy to get along with, long hours and heavy work loads are the only down-side in my opinion.
Pros
benefits, 401k, great atmosphere
Cons
long hours, high stress, lower scale pay