Newk's Eatery Employee Reviews

People Manager (Current Employee) –  Monroe, LANovember 29, 2017
I loved working for Newks! The work home life balance is better than anywhere I have ever worked. The only downfall in my opinion is that there are no retirement benefits
Quick Paced
Cook / Server (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MSNovember 17, 2017
It is a very quick paced atmosphere. Very detailed oriented and you are typically on your feet most of the day. It is a good job if you are in school but for it to be a career, you would need to try to move up in the company.
too playful of a workplace, staff always had drama
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSOctober 26, 2017
The management at Newk's was not so great. The store manager and one assistant manager didn't know how to properly respect or direct a staff. Also, they didn't like having to help customers and often times wouldn't when a situation involved a managers input.
Pros
discounts
Cons
bad management, low hours, low pay
It an om place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 12, 2017
Its an ok place to work. The people are friendly and the pay is ok. They are understandable. They are willing to work with you if you have prior engagements
Nice job
Chef (Former Employee) –  Gambrills, MDOctober 11, 2017
Job was Nice and was not challenging however a certain manager was very disrespectful and unwillingly to acknowledge my hard-work and dedication unlike many other lazy workers .
I would work here again if I could!
Cashier, food runner (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSOctober 4, 2017
The only thing I didn't like when I worked here was the store manager at the time, who is gone now. Other than that, the environment was great, the people were great. To top it all off, the food was great, so when you needed a break, you always had plenty of great options!
Rude Management, Great job
FOH (Former Employee) –  new Braunfels txOctober 2, 2017
the hardest part of this job is coping to the co workers and management. They definitely will schedule you for doubles after doubles and they don't have much flexibility. I had asked for a morning off 2 weeks in advance, asked co-workers to cover my shift, and even tried to change my own plans. When I called the manager at the time to call in I was in shock to hear my manager calling me 'irresponsible, disrespectful" and even cussed. Would not recommend this kind of treatment Best part of job is the customers and the usuals.
Pros
Friendly customers
Cons
Terrible managers, co-workers
Newk's Manager "I will cut you..."
Everything (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXSeptember 30, 2017
Its a decent job, but you won't make much hourly, and on top of that they'll cut you if its slow. and if you're not cut you often find yourself overwhelmed because they'll hastily send people home before the rush hits assuming its gonna be slow. They seemed obsessed with keeping labor low, I get labor is expensive but it'd be nice if they focused a little more on lowering food waste (A LOT gets thrown away) before going straight for their employee's paychecks. Not a great job if you're paying rent somewhere and need consistency. It's a decent gig while you're there though. Nice people and culture.
Pros
Cool people and culture. Flexible.
Cons
Not very much money.
N/a
Server/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALSeptember 19, 2017
It is not a job for full time people. It is only for part time they don’t really give you that many hours.One shift only lasts 5 hours.You get tips there though.
Really fun work for me.
Dining Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Lufkin, TXSeptember 19, 2017
I love going to work here. It is a good atmosphere and really good managers. They are all helpful and friendly and also if have a problem you can bring it to them like most places with open door policy.
Pros
Discounts, Pto
Fun workplace
Dishwasher and Prep (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSSeptember 18, 2017
It's a fun workplace. I learned a few things while working for Newks like fast pace and team work. Newks is a very clean environment. Everyone that works there is very dedicated and They food is very good
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Health care
hbjbjnkjn mn
Food Presenter/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 13, 2017
ooCare Taker: Monitor & care for elderly Alzheimer’s female in the comfort of her home. Administer medications & meals. Assist with walking and maneuvering around. Carefully assisting with outings and transportation.
Poor Experience
Regional Catering Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 12, 2017
Newk's is a great place to work if you are looking for great benefits. Otherwise the company is going through growing pains. I had a very negative work environment. Poor experience all the way around.
I loved working for Newk's
Area Catering Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 8, 2017
I was in charge of all catering and marketing for the Little Rock and Hot Springs, Arkansas areas. I absolutely loved the freedom and the fast pace! My direct supervisor was amazing!
Pros
Free lunches, paid vacation, amazing supervisor
Fast-pace and fun.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXSeptember 6, 2017
It was usually very fast-paced. Some days we would have a line out the door and into the parking lot. It can get stressful at times, but usually the employees get a hold of the chaos quickly. From working at Newk's I've learned that you have to work extremely hard to run a successful business and that you don't always need to have the manager around to run efficiently. At the Cypress store there were multiple times where a manager would be unavailable, so all the responsibility was put on the employees. However, we handled it effectively and without any issues. The environment was always full of life and it felt like a big family. I made some of my closest friends there and they will forever be apart of my life even though I no longer work there. The management at Newk's is, by far, the best management team I have ever worked for. They are understanding and genuinely try to connect with the employees. My managers were approachable and I was not afraid to voice concerns or ask questions. I'd say the hardest part of the job was how busy we could get. Sometimes it would just get crazy busy and it could get overwhelming. My favorite part was probably the people. Not just my coworkers, but also the customers that came in. I got to create relationships with a lot of the customers that came in and learned the regulars name. It always made their day, that I remembered them, which in turn made mine.
Pros
Discount
Reliable and fun
Hourly Partner (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 5, 2017
The job was not one to bring you new experiences, rather, something for you to do every day. It did not want to create an environment that allowed the worker to express creativity, yet, it did allow the worker to continue its exploration of the restaurant's different positions. I typically worked as the pizza person. I learned how to make the dough/ingredients, create pizzas, and manage time. Much of my time centered around ticket time, cleaning, and stocking. It wasn't a bad job.
The management was hit or miss. They were either completely focused on numbers or cared about the workers. They often would cut people who requested (though not always) and tended to work around hours. If someone wanted night shift, they would work with that person to change out day shift for the night shift. The only bad connotation of management was that they were put in between a rock and a hard place. The upper management (regional/middle cooperate positions) would ask the impossible and management was subjugated to fulfill those duties regardless of the reality of both management and worker realities.
However, I mostly learned that in order to make ticket time, stocking and communication were key. You, yourself, didn't just need to be fast, but so did the person next to you; therefore, it was important to build relationships.
Which led to the workplace culture being mostly centered around those who both liked and knew how to work everything. Most strangers I met at the job, who were good at it, I became fast friends with them. The ones who were not good at the job, often don't stay long.
  more...
That was the hardest part of the job. Honestly, you had to be good at what you did along with being cooperative with the people you worked with; otherwise, you were kicked out pretty fast.
Weirdly enough, opening or closing the store, working was the most enjoyable part. Not making pizzas, but being with those who sincerely and earnestly wanted to be working made the job enjoyable. As aforementioned, those strangers who worked there quickly became my friend over time. My coworkers are what I miss very much about this job.
Pros
Lunches, down time, reliability, consistent hours
Cons
no benefits, hard upward mobility, and immature gossip
Decent job
Prep Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 26, 2017
Newks eatery is a decent restaurant opportunity. It is great for learning kitchen life if you're passionate about cooking and restaurant hospitality. Don't expect to make much money, it's only a kitchen job.
It was a nice first job
Server/Cook (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 26, 2017
I liked working here. The managers were professional and the coworkers were friendly. If you aren't sure how to do something, just ask and anybody is willing to help.
Pros
discounts, friendly coworkers
Cons
short shifts
Good company but young company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 25, 2017
There have been many changes in the upper management at the corporate level. Overall, good changes.

The Franchisees were good but moved too slowly in expanding their territory.
Pros
Franchisee was really good
Cons
Schedules can be rough in the restaurant. Late closing and early opening the next day.
Ehhhh
Cashier/Food Presenter (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLAugust 24, 2017
It's a cool place to work if it's your first job but personally I believe some of the managers abuse their position. I mean as long as you don't get too friendly with them you'll be fine.