Newman Regional Health Employee Reviews

Questionable work place
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSNovember 20, 2017
I had many many good years at Newman Regional Health. While it didn't end so well (poor department director) I will always have fond memories of NRH and wish them the very best.
Poor advancement
Technical Health Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Emporia, KSOctober 5, 2017
The organization does a very poor job of assessing potential and talent in the company for advancement opportunities. Many times I have been witness to employees being advanced while not having the proper skill level, education or business sense to succeed for position. Many times have I seen the promoted person have to step down shortly after achieving new position because they do not have the necessary abilities to be successful in new position.
Pros
Routine
Cons
Limited advancement
Fun place to work
Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Emporia, KSJuly 22, 2017
Many people around this hospital are great. The kitchen isn't as great as the rest of the hospital though. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work in the kitchen. Not a good manager or enough staff.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Management in kitchen, not enough staff
Cna
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSMarch 14, 2017
Not enough hours .................................................... kept moving me to floors I had no training on along with no other options but night shift
Regular meetings to keep up on regulations and changes
environmental services (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSOctober 27, 2015
It is a very physical job with important responsibilities. Everyone worked well together and we all jumped in the help get the work done for the day. The best part of the job was meeting all the different people . Even though the were sick or visiting someone you got the chance to meet strong and positive people. The hard part was when the patient passed away.
Excellent teamwork
CNA (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSOctober 10, 2015
I loved working at Newman. The nurses and aides and all other departments work very well together! I would highly recommend Newman for others to work at!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
long shifts
Enjoyable co-workers
Emergency Department Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSJune 20, 2014
Unstable employment; facility undergoing major financial difficulties
Great venue for cross training
Radiologic Technologist/Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSNovember 19, 2012
Was able to cross train in CT and Nuclear Medicine, plus given my first opportunity to supervise.
Undergoing much change due to financial issues and changes in pt care model
LPN (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSMay 10, 2012
Worked there for 25plus years in the nursing dept and was told I was no longer a good fit for the hospital.
They are struggling , bleeding red every year. They are a small county hospital. They are grasping at anything to bring in revenue.

In nursing there is a lack of appropriate nursing management. The CNO wants an all RN care model with no LPNs and very few nurses aides. Consequently there is a high number of patients assigned to each nurse. You cannot count on backup help when slammed with admissions or emergencies.

One of the worst problems I encountered there as a staff member was that the manangement DID NOT uphold the dept personnel policies, ie. tardiness, absentism, harassment by a coworker and no consistencies in work expectation of ALL team members. Staff are allowed to remain employed who do not meet the basic outlines in there job descriptions. The workplace enviornment became very stressful and unpleasant.

My last comment is regarding department directors. They have many depts under their care making it difficult for them to direct their attention to any one area. My department director was freq absent, kept no secret and kept an employee who "should have been fired " but just couldn't due to a difficult upbringing and personal life. She did not inspire staff to be good team members and co-workers.

The benefits are pretty standard for a hospital. The head of Human Resources and the staff are great to have dealings with.

I loved what I did there for so many years. I am sad to see what is happening there now.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
lack of professional dept management
Fun place to work, friendly staff
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Emporia, KSMarch 22, 2012
Hospital is focused on quality patient care, patient privacy, employee satisfaction and retention.
Pros
great boss, lots of friends