Newmont Mining

Newmont Mining Employer Reviews

Definitely Not The Best Place To Work
Supply Chain (Former Employee), Greenwood Village, COJune 16, 2014
Pros: decent pay, hour lunches
Cons: discrimination
I worked at Newmont as a contract employee. When I first started there, everything was fine. I thought the people were nice and they allowed me to work the schedule that I had requested.

It didn't take long for me to notice how cliquish the people are, how poorly managed everything is, and how little the managers actually know about what's going on – more... in their department and with their employees.

The schedule I had requested during the interview, (which they said was "no problem"), was quickly rescinded.

In addition to all of this, you can expect the "Good Ol' Boys" culture. I witnessed discrimination against women while working at Newmont, and I was personally discriminated against, (and then targeted), for creed.

Many of the people I encountered were very unprofessional in attitude as well as attire.

I also witnessed and experienced things that I am not permitted to write here. This place is an HR nightmare. – less
Productive and demanding Job
Mining Engineer - Underground Gold (Former Employee), Elko, NVMay 12, 2014
Pros: lots of responsiblilites
Cons: long work days
Given a lot of responsibilities early on as the engineering department was small and flexible. fun job with great engineers and demanding work environment that allow for small oversight form supervisors.
Underground Miner
Underground Miner (Current Employee), Winnemucca NevadaFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: good mine rescue training
Cons: over abundancy of mngt.
The ability to cycle rounds...muck, bolt drill, and blast...adhear to safety and work well with others unsupervised at times...I was also on a nationally ranked mine rescue team so my skills go beyond just mining.
SAP FICO Consultant
Sr. SAP FICO Consultant (Current Employee), Denver COJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: expenses paid
Cons: travelling & commute time
•Sr. SAP FI/CO Functional Consultant with 8+ years of experience in SAP FI/CO covering multiple sectors such as Pharmaceuticals, CPG, Utilities, Mining, Entertainment and Manufacturing Industries.
•Involved in 2 Full Life-cycle implementations and 1 support project of SAP R/3 system using ASAP methodology including Business Process Reengineering, System – more... Design, Feasibility Analysis, Configuration, testing, Go-Live and Production support activities in SAP Versions (SAP R/3 4.7,SAP ECC 6.0.)
•Experience on process like Change Management, RICEF Management, Document Change Control, Scope Management and Issue Tracking database.
•Developed various functional specs related to SAP objects like GL, AP, AR, CO modules and coordinated technical specs for offshore development.
•Working experience in NEW GL concepts
•Experience in EBS, DMEE formats creation.
• Extensively worked on LSMWs to enable conversion of master data and transactional data into SAP in the areas of FI and Controlling as part of Data Migration.
• Working with posting validations, substitution rules, forms, interfaces (ALE & EDI), user-exits, and reporting tools
• Involved in GUI, STRING, INTEGRATION, SECURITY, REGRESSION, DATA, INTERFACE Testing, PERFORMANCE, VOLUME and UAT TESTING.Experience on all Quality Center modules like Requirements, Test for Defect Tracking, organizing, managing, planning and executing the Test scripts.
•Proven abilities in End-User training, Courseware material preparation and documentation.
•Strong communication skills combined with a positive attitude helped me demonstrate ability to work both in independent and team-oriented environments, able to meet very stringent deadlines and always delivered results on-time – less
A shady place to work
Mechanic (Current Employee), CarlinJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: politics, the good ole boy environment .the disposable attitude towards employees
This company practices the good ole boy culture.
If your in the click you will do well , if not look out you will find your self in the sights !
The checks never bounce ! A good thing !
The management is so unorganized , so unprepared and basically inadequate .
All safety is basically the hourly employees responsibility .
Management always seems to – more... say " why didn't you report it ?" When in fact they have know about it for years .
The bonus program is really sketchy every year there's some reason why the bonus is not good, they throw out some equation that absolutely no one can explain and the company will report record profits ?

The benefits are ok , the pay is lower than other mines , they provide transportation which is really nice as do other mining companies .

If your wanting to get some experience it's a good place to do that .

It's a really hard place to deal with all the clicks and politics however the checks don't bounce – less
Trainer and lead tech
Process operator tech (Former Employee), Battle Mountain, NVJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: the pay was very good
Cons: one day off per week, 1.5 hour drive to and from work.
Was recruited to start a new SX/EW facility and train all employees and supervision on the start up and daily functions of the plant. Helped with the design of a virtual simulator to aid in the training and development of personnel. Piped Leach pad, ran all equipment, adjusted flows and brought up plant. Daily operations consisted of grabbing and running – more... samples, adjusting flows, rectifier settings, valves and temps based off findings of samples. Training was done on the simulator and hands on with the employees, all were eager to learn the trade and made the job fun, however long hours and minimal days off took a toll and that was the only downfall of the job. Most of the management team was willing to listen to my ideas and thoughts for the plant. I enjoyed learning the process of the hydromet all over again, from the aspect of teaching people that have never heard of solvent extraction was a new and exciting challenge. – less
Great Place until the price of Gold Drops
Lead Project Geologist (Former Employee), Elko, NVNovember 29, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: indecisive management
A great place to work until the price of Gold Drops. Newmont wants their professionals to move to different areas within the company every few years, which can be a good thing, unless you move just before a layoff and have the least experience in the group. However, some of the bosses I had were absolutely fantatastic at teaching you new skills and – more... promoting you through the company where others just allowed you to do their job for them without any praise or backup. – less
Tough work for tough people
Health, Safety, and Loss Prevention (Former Employee), Midas NVNovember 15, 2013
Pros: good pay and good benefits
Cons: long commute, long hours
Underground mining is not for the faint of heart... but if you have the skills and the ability to work hard and long hours, the experience is unforgettable...
An excellent place to work
Geostatistician Specialist (Former Employee), Carlin, NVOctober 29, 2013
I am very thankful to the Newmont team for giving me the opportunity to learn a lot and giving me the proper guidance to develop new capabilities since I joined this prestigious company.
very professional workplace
Surveyor (Former Employee), Carlin, NVSeptember 23, 2013
worked the same shift monday through thursday, 10 hours a day, management was professional, I learned how to interact with others in a workplace, hardest part of the job was the manual labor
Ease of use
Hourly Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Elko, NVFebruary 15, 2013
- Dealing with over 100 employees
- How to deal with multiple personalities
- Very dependent on the training of employees
- Very helpful in getting the training completed
- The shear amount of people needing training
- Knowing that the people trained will be doing the job as safely as possible

The company is very Pro Training
Don't care at all about their employes
Senior Geologist (Former Employee), Twin creeks, Winnemucca, NVJanuary 8, 2013
Cons: long days, unpaid 2 hours travel to site, do not treat employes with respect
I Worked for Newmont several years and at first thought they treated their employes well but the more I seen the more dis heartened I became. Newmont promote a culture as a world class operation with world class people, this is not the case, I was in a position of leadership and seen how easy the got rid of people whenever they felt like it with no – more... concern of the employes situation, firing people under the disguise of down sizing then re hiring again after a few weeks, new employes were put off with out any notice, newmonts policy was to make them get up at 3.30am travel an hour unpaid to site them terminate them as soon As they got there and give them 15 minutes under supervision to get their belongings, people lost their houses after Newmont made them relocate to Winnemucca with out any regard, Beware Newmont do NOT care about their people, if you want job security do not work for Newmont. – less
they treated you fairley
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Battle Mountain, NVNovember 12, 2012
Newmont was a very good place to work, always got your upgrades on time.
a warning from a former employee
maintenance (Former Employee), Twin CreeksNovember 8, 2012
Pros: decent benefits, new equipment.
Cons: dangerous, no job security, highly political, long unpaid commute.
At Newmont its common to lay people off to increase their stock price on a whim, and when they do that can very well include you no matter how much experience you have or how good of a job you have done. This gives them a rating of Zero for job security.
Their pay is not as good as some of their competitors such as Barick gold, who offer higher pay – more... and comparable benefits. Also they usually have long transportation to and from the job site that is provided, but you are not compensated for the 4-5 hours a day you spend on the bus. Think twice before applying at Newmont, is (no home life, and no job security) what you really want? – less
Engaged in Green Wahsing
Global Energy Efficiency Program Manager (Former Employee), Denver, COOctober 8, 2012
Pros: good benefits
Cons: no support fo energy conservation ro green house gas reductions
The company engages in green washing. In some cases it will identify energy conservation and green house gas reduction opportunities but when it come to using capital to implement these opportunities Newmont always chooses to invest exclusively in gold production.
Great Experience
Summer Student Employee (Former Employee), Twin Creeks Mine, NVJune 6, 2012
Newmont mining offered great experience is a multitude of areas. The program under which I worked was specifically setup to accomplish this, and it did an excellent job.
A workplace that is high on productivity and has a fun atmosphere
Full Potential Parts Analyst (Former Employee), Boddington, WADecember 1, 2013
Pros: working with great people whilst doing the job that you love
Cons: some of the people that you have to deal with each day
A typical days work day you would start with setting goals for the day in order of priority, which may also include any tasks passed on by the manager and then be able to re-prioritize through out the day if it became necessary.

The working environment with the project manager and my co-workers was harmonious which promoted a good team environment – more... which inturn promoted strong productivity which meant that deadlines were met.

Sometimes a delay in people providing information that was required made the job harder and caused some deadlines to be pushed out slightly.

The most enjoyable part of the job was achieving the targets that you had personally to do which inturn meant that the team targets were also achieved whilst ensuring that all company policies and procedures are followed. – less
Buen ambiente de trabajo
Supervisor General (Former Employee), Cajamarca, CAJApril 26, 2014
Pros: seguro medico
Recomiendo esta empresa para toda persona que se quiere iniciar en el mundo de la minería ya que todos los trabajos se hace con seguridad y respetando el medio ambiente

About Newmont Mining

Newmont Mining Corporation is primarily a gold producer, with significant assets or operations stretching across the United States, – Read more