Newmont Mining Employee Reviews

Challenging and interesting experience
Regional Manager - Strategic Planning (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, CO; GhanaApril 1, 2016
If you are a geologist, metallurgist or some other "ist" in the mining industry than this is a great company to work for.

Pros:
Good compensation package
Lots of learning opportunities
Top-notch industrial technical expertise

Cons (may have changed to the better now):
lack of coherent organizational structure
work-life balance
very much a relationship driven organization
cultural and gender diversity was an issue

Advice to Management:
Streamline work processes and clarify roles and responsibilities among departments, regions and consequently positions.
Matrix organization is not an excuse to have too many overlaps and even more gaps in responsibilities which make increasingly difficult to move projects forward.
Do something about the "chiefs" to "Indians" ratio - so many "directors" who never managed a single person let alone departments and/or functions.
Pros
Good compensation package, lots of learning opportunities
Cons
lack of coherent organizational structure, work-life balance, very much a relationship driven organization, cultural and gender diversity
Great place to work!
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Carlin, NVFebruary 16, 2016
Good placed work, great benefits, great wages, lots of opportunity for advancement. Most People are friendly to work, if you don't like one mine, you can transfer to a mine in a different location.
Pros
wages, benefits
Cons
lots of politics
Very busy at work only when I go for a coffee break for thirty minutes.
Control Room Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Eastern, KYMarch 10, 2016
My typical working day is very busy and serious as well as sensitive. As a shift Supervisor in a Gold Mine, there isn't time to play because the mine has over one hundred and sixty cameras on site for operators and myself to monitor so least careless one plays can affect the entire working shift.

I have learn a lot when it comes to management because they ensure that workers needs are met to boost their morale to work well. On the other hand, co-workers try merge ideas to increase productivity of the company.

There isn't a specific thing i can say is hard about the job because i am always prepared and eager to give my best as a supervisor.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when bullion is done successfully without any qualms.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Thirty minutes coffee break and health care services, Holiday Bonuses, Overtime allowances, Family leave, sick leave and annual leave as well as monthly gratuities.
Great Place To Work
Global Network Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  DenverSeptember 2, 2015
Newmont Mining was an excellent place to work and there was a high demand on employee excellence. I learned many things that helped me advance in my career, and worked with an outstanding group of people. Newmont was good at hiring quality employees who were passionate and cared about the contributions they made to the company. The hardest part of the job may have been the high demand for results and completion of duties as required.
Pros
Benefits, growth plan/progression, management
Cons
work/life balance, decided to outsource IT department
Good pay but bad work place
Security Technician (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVJanuary 11, 2016
Job was good, hardest part was gate watch during winter. Co worker was very rude and tried everything to make me quit. most enjoyable was when i got off to see my family. i learned if your upper management wont help find a better job.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Favoritism, Bad environment, poor commincation
highly safety concious and prompt salary payment.
technician. both electrical and mechanical (Current Employee) –  New Abirem, Akhem.March 21, 2016
I treat all days as equal
Achieving my work target in a safe manner.
Management has a very cordial relation with subordinates.
Teamwork is the bed rock of goal achievement.
Hard work does not pay.
Company is much concerned about the welfare of employees
Pros
free lunch, monthly bonus, provitions etc
Cons
healthcare, short braeks, rent allowace, loan subsidy etc
Rif
NOC Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 5, 2016
Newmont chose to outsource corporate IT and since I had just gone thru 4 years of terrible outsourcing contracts (Newmont paid millions of dollars to get out of contracts) and 2 years of new leadership and insourcing where the new Newmont leadership admitted it had nothing to do with customer service and everything to do with costs.
Benefits
Cons
Leadership team is not people friendly and there is always the threat of outsourcing
productive and safety concious environment to work
Health, Safety and Loss Prevention Coordinator (Current Employee) –  AkyemJuly 17, 2016
A typical day at work usually involves meeting the crew (during Pre-shift meeting) and meeting management on production front. Discuss safety issues concerning operators and artisans Getting to the various sections of the job. Conducting Inspections and interacting with people.
I enjoy interacting with people on the job about safety
Pros
Safety is a priority in every job
Cons
Some people demean blacks
great compensation with learning opportunities but poor morale with ongoing layoffs
Energy Data Analyst and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, CODecember 8, 2015
great compensation - salary & benefits, good opportunities to grow & learn, but poor morale with ongoing layoffs. duplicity of responsibilities leads to high overhead and confusion for moving projects ahead, yet critical departments and positions are being eliminated while those accounting positions remain
Pros
learning opportunities, great pay & benefits
Cons
some individual dpts mismanaged, others seem to compete vs each other
Productive and good workplace
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Tamuning, GUSeptember 27, 2016
I always start my work confidently, to boost my energy for the whole day. i learned how to do right and good job. They have good management . my co-workers are good companion and cooperates well . my hardest part of the job is working the tunnel under the ground. and my enjoyable part of the job is when you finish your work excellently

Want to know more about Newmont Mining?

Ask a question
Operations was perfect, well structured
Operator - Security Command Centre (Former Employee) –  Airport West, AccraJuly 21, 2016
There was a data theft (Hard disk drive) in the command center where as the IT officer who works on those unused system denied tempering with it. It was observed that, they want to shift the blame game on the Operators. It was relayed to management where investigator were called in. It was confessed.
Cons
It is a good place to work
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVJanuary 14, 2016
I start the day by lining out, a 40 man crew. I learned that communication is a very important tool. Working well with upper management is a key. My co-works were a pleasure to work with, sometimes challenging but enjoyable. The hardest part of the was to keep ahead of the crew to keep them working. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see everyone going home the same way they came to work.
lab work
LAB TECHNICIAN LEVEL 2 (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVApril 1, 2016
very safe work place. fun environment to work In. Organized management, always worked as a team. Co workers were always willing to help.
Working at newmont is a great experience
Sr. SAP FICO Architect (Former Employee) –  Denver ColoradoAugust 12, 2015
It is really good company to work , had good management, benefits and work life balance but there is no job security. job security is directly related to gold price fluctuation. :)
Safety oriented work place.
Underground Miner (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVOctober 21, 2015
Worked with numerous people at a time. Great coworkers. Dealing with new management was better than the past. The way the benefits treats you is something they could improve on.
Pros
Hourly pay. Medical benefits. Vacation.
Cons
No breaks. Riding a bus an hour each way without pay.
Good job, good environment
Instrumentation/Electrical/Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnemucca, NVJuly 16, 2016
Enjoyed different experiences, I have never worked with cyanide,
or cyanide detectors. I learned a lot. I have never worked in a gold mill before.
Good work life balance with very low job security
Senior Business Intelligence Designer / Architect (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 31, 2015
Good work life balance with very low job security. Benefits are good. Lack of leadership in IT is rampant. Layoffs happen every year. Very high uncertain and negative work environment.
Management/The Hardest Part of the job
Surface Mine Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVOctober 28, 2014
Management is do what I Say and Not What I do Kinda of Trend. Management is is not the most competent, Leaders will have you written up over small violations, They are a Click and will make it very difficult to be upgrade in Tech. level. Company politics are present in the work area. Everyone will not pull their own weight and expect you as a worker to work harder than everyone else.
Pros
shift work schedule, pretty good wage and benefits
Cons
high expense health care, bus ride to site 2 hrs to and 2 hrs. back plus 12hr shift., unable to drive out to work site some areas, cannot trust anyone make no mistake
Excellent Place for Internship
Supply Chain Intern (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 6, 2016
I did an internship with Newmont Mining's Supply Chain Group and found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Management were solid mentors.
Great company and great benefits
Equipment Operator/Crusher Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVMay 30, 2016
I loved working here! The benefits were good as were the hours and pay. I would recommend this company to anyone. It was very demanding but very worth it!