Newmont Mining Employee Reviews

Traditional Work Environment
communications coordinator (Former Employee) –  denver, coJanuary 8, 2016
The hardest part about this job was there was no room for promoting.

The best part about this job was a lot of exposure to different groups and local leaders.
great compensation with learning opportunities but poor morale with ongoing layoffs
Energy Data Analyst and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, CODecember 8, 2015
great compensation - salary & benefits, good opportunities to grow & learn, but poor morale with ongoing layoffs. duplicity of responsibilities leads to high overhead and confusion for moving projects ahead, yet critical departments and positions are being eliminated while those accounting positions remain
Pros
learning opportunities, great pay & benefits
Cons
some individual dpts mismanaged, others seem to compete vs each other
Terrible management and culture
Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COOctober 26, 2015
Management is completely unethical. They have a paper that is posted around the corporate and regional offices that says "Got Ethics?", which is supposed to instill ethical behavior, however if management does not understand the meaning of ethical behavior, then this message means nothing. My experience was a bait and switch game from the beginning. I was on a rotation and had to hold senior leadership accountable quarterly for fear they would leave me in that regional location for good. When you're employees start working for a company, the last thing they want to do is have to hold leadership accountable to their commitments. Then, when the warn act was issued that layoffs were coming, I somehow came up for a promotion. While I was going through those interviews, I was also interviewing externally. Somehow they found out I was interviewing. Management told me if I kept interviewing, I would not be considered for the promotion. I decided to be loyal to a company that didn't deserve it. I stopped interviewing externally, got promoted, and then two months later was laid off with the other Warn Act employees who were laid off. Leadership has no regard for human decency. It is a good old boy network of misfits who make statements like "That's the elephant in the room, this isn't your same dallas cowboys, feed the seeds to fruition, run the pipeline, etc, etc. referencing absolutely nothing related to executable action plans." The point is none of those things make any sense to getting things done and executing with precision. The company is completely unethical, management is terrible,  more... and they've had this Category Manager position posted for over a year without hiring anyone. The reason is they don't know their own heads from their own behinds and can't make a decision due to their own lack of intelligence. It's the blind leading the blind.  less
Pros
Pay is higher than other industries
Cons
Everything else is a con.
Safety oriented work place.
Underground Miner (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVOctober 21, 2015
Worked with numerous people at a time. Great coworkers. Dealing with new management was better than the past. The way the benefits treats you is something they could improve on.
Pros
Hourly pay. Medical benefits. Vacation.
Cons
No breaks. Riding a bus an hour each way without pay.
No care given to staff
Geologists (Former Employee) –  NVMay 18, 2015
Production production production, that's all it is, don't care about people or circumstances, if you can't do what they want when they want they find a reason to terminate you (downsizing), I wasn't terminated but wittnessed many who were, they have a terrible atmosphere to work for, if you don't fit in with the old boys club you won't last long, to much everyone knows everyone and they will find a way to force you out and replace with one of there friends, family, I have worked for several mining companies and without a doubt Newmont are the worst, if you want stability and peace of mine don't consider Newmont
Pros
Pays alright
Cons
Don't care about people
not very productive and. but get the job done
Apprentice electrician (Former Employee) –  Twin Creeks, Winnemucca, NVApril 21, 2015
We get work orders and do them through out the day and at the end of the day they pile on the work as if they weren't organized.
Safe and nice place to work.
Metallurgical Development (Former Employee) –  Golconda, NVDecember 29, 2014
Nice and safe place to work. They cared about the employees you weren't just a number. Benefits were as good as well. They took the time to train you and wanted you to excel.
Working with like minded individuals to achieve goals in a safe environment
Geology Intern (Former Employee) –  Elko, NevadaNovember 7, 2014
Great environment to work in, everyone is friendly and gets along great.
ellecent job
Welder Tech 6 (Former Employee) –  Battle Mountain, NVOctober 2, 2014
great team work excellent benefits and compensation loved working here
benefits
Good company with long history
Mine Optimization Engineer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 8, 2014
Newmont has some world class operations, but is facing challenges at all stages, Newmont has a great technical service group, and the company is good at developing talents,

Want to know more about Newmont Mining?

Ask a question
Definitely Not The Best Place To Work
Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COJune 16, 2014
I worked at Newmont as a contract employee. When I first started there, everything was fine. I thought the people were nice and they allowed me to work the schedule that I had requested.

It didn't take long for me to notice how cliquish the people are, how poorly managed everything is, and how little the managers actually know about what's going on in their department and with their employees.

The schedule I had requested during the interview, (which they said was "no problem"), was quickly rescinded.

In addition to all of this, you can expect the "Good Ol' Boys" culture. I witnessed discrimination against women while working at Newmont, and I was personally discriminated against, (and then targeted), for creed.

Many of the people I encountered were very unprofessional in attitude as well as attire.

I also witnessed and experienced things that I am not permitted to write here. This place is an HR nightmare.
Pros
decent pay, hour lunches
Cons
discrimination
Productive and demanding Job
Mining Engineer - Underground Gold (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVMay 12, 2014
Given a lot of responsibilities early on as the engineering department was small and flexible. fun job with great engineers and demanding work environment that allow for small oversight form supervisors.
Pros
lots of responsiblilites
Cons
long work days
Underground Miner
Underground Miner (Current Employee) –  Winnemucca NevadaFebruary 25, 2014
The ability to cycle rounds...muck, bolt drill, and blast...adhear to safety and work well with others unsupervised at times...I was also on a nationally ranked mine rescue team so my skills go beyond just mining.
Pros
good mine rescue training
Cons
over abundancy of mngt.
SAP FICO Consultant
Sr. SAP FICO Consultant (Current Employee) –  Denver COJanuary 29, 2014
•Sr. SAP FI/CO Functional Consultant with 8+ years of experience in SAP FI/CO covering multiple sectors such as Pharmaceuticals, CPG, Utilities, Mining, Entertainment and Manufacturing Industries.
•Involved in 2 Full Life-cycle implementations and 1 support project of SAP R/3 system using ASAP methodology including Business Process Reengineering, System Design, Feasibility Analysis, Configuration, testing, Go-Live and Production support activities in SAP Versions (SAP R/3 4.7,SAP ECC 6.0.)
•Experience on process like Change Management, RICEF Management, Document Change Control, Scope Management and Issue Tracking database.
•Developed various functional specs related to SAP objects like GL, AP, AR, CO modules and coordinated technical specs for offshore development.
•Working experience in NEW GL concepts
•Experience in EBS, DMEE formats creation.
• Extensively worked on LSMWs to enable conversion of master data and transactional data into SAP in the areas of FI and Controlling as part of Data Migration.
• Working with posting validations, substitution rules, forms, interfaces (ALE & EDI), user-exits, and reporting tools
• Involved in GUI, STRING, INTEGRATION, SECURITY, REGRESSION, DATA, INTERFACE Testing, PERFORMANCE, VOLUME and UAT TESTING.Experience on all Quality Center modules like Requirements, Test for Defect Tracking, organizing, managing, planning and executing the Test scripts.
•Proven abilities in End-User training, Courseware material preparation and documentation.
•Strong communication skills combined with a positive attitude helped me demonstrate ability to work
  more... both in independent and team-oriented environments, able to meet very stringent deadlines and always delivered results on-time  less
Pros
expenses paid
Cons
travelling & commute time
A shady place to work
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  CarlinJanuary 17, 2014
This company practices the good ole boy culture.
If your in the click you will do well , if not look out you will find your self in the sights !
The checks never bounce ! A good thing !
The management is so unorganized , so unprepared and basically inadequate .
All safety is basically the hourly employees responsibility .
Management always seems to say " why didn't you report it ?" When in fact they have know about it for years .
The bonus program is really sketchy every year there's some reason why the bonus is not good, they throw out some equation that absolutely no one can explain and the company will report record profits ?

The benefits are ok , the pay is lower than other mines , they provide transportation which is really nice as do other mining companies .

If your wanting to get some experience it's a good place to do that .

It's a really hard place to deal with all the clicks and politics however the checks don't bounce
benefits
Cons
politics, the good ole boy environment .the disposable attitude towards employees
Trainer and lead tech
Process operator tech (Former Employee) –  Battle Mountain, NVJanuary 9, 2014
Was recruited to start a new SX/EW facility and train all employees and supervision on the start up and daily functions of the plant. Helped with the design of a virtual simulator to aid in the training and development of personnel. Piped Leach pad, ran all equipment, adjusted flows and brought up plant. Daily operations consisted of grabbing and running samples, adjusting flows, rectifier settings, valves and temps based off findings of samples. Training was done on the simulator and hands on with the employees, all were eager to learn the trade and made the job fun, however long hours and minimal days off took a toll and that was the only downfall of the job. Most of the management team was willing to listen to my ideas and thoughts for the plant. I enjoyed learning the process of the hydromet all over again, from the aspect of teaching people that have never heard of solvent extraction was a new and exciting challenge.
Pros
the pay was very good
Cons
one day off per week, 1.5 hour drive to and from work.
Great Place until the price of Gold Drops
Lead Project Geologist (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVNovember 29, 2013
A great place to work until the price of Gold Drops. Newmont wants their professionals to move to different areas within the company every few years, which can be a good thing, unless you move just before a layoff and have the least experience in the group. However, some of the bosses I had were absolutely fantatastic at teaching you new skills and promoting you through the company where others just allowed you to do their job for them without any praise or backup.
benefits
Cons
indecisive management
Tough work for tough people
Health, Safety, and Loss Prevention (Former Employee) –  Midas NVNovember 15, 2013
Underground mining is not for the faint of heart... but if you have the skills and the ability to work hard and long hours, the experience is unforgettable...
Pros
good pay and good benefits
Cons
long commute, long hours
An excellent place to work
Geostatistician Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carlin, NVOctober 29, 2013
I am very thankful to the Newmont team for giving me the opportunity to learn a lot and giving me the proper guidance to develop new capabilities since I joined this prestigious company.
very professional workplace
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Carlin, NVSeptember 23, 2013
worked the same shift monday through thursday, 10 hours a day, management was professional, I learned how to interact with others in a workplace, hardest part of the job was the manual labor