Newport Corporation Employee Reviews

Good Company, Good Products, Good people to work with, Weak leadership.
Supply Chain Manager (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 18, 2015
Good Company, Good Products, Good people to work with, Weak leadership. This company is decentralized to the extreme which result in very, very high SG&A.
Good place to work in optics.
Sr. Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 13, 2015
Good place to work if your field is in optics.

Very cyclical business culture where most of the business depends on semiconductor industry.
Cons
No job security.
Newport is really a good company.
Sr. Optical Coating Engineer/Scientist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 30, 2015
It was a nice work every day.
I learned a lot about Optical thin film coatings and testing.
Management and co-workers were good.
It was too busy but OK with me.
Achievement
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Good pay
Executive mgt is lost
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 15, 2015
Current executive mgt is lost. Newport is a runaway stage coach in dire need of a driver. Newport still survives, struggling along because of its history and the engineers and scientists it attracts. It's exec mgt is sales oriented and in my opinion needs someone more sales/technology oriented.
Highly Recommended
Staff Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Irvine,CAMay 12, 2015
- Excellent work environment
- Great management
- Good people
Every Wednesday they roll out the popcorn machine for all to enjoy.
A stable company with lots of potential to grow if managed properly
Senior Product Manager, Photonics Instruments (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 2, 2015
The company has steadily grown ever since it was founded. It has a lot of further growth opportunity if properly managed. It is a great place to work.
Political Hierarchy Governing Employee Movement
Optomechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 31, 2015
No need to apply in the ISB/Optics/Production division, you will work the hardest and get laid off the fastest.

Morale is low, and there is a big disconnect between the upper management and the layers beneath them.

Lieing and "back-peddling" runs rampant. The discomfort of having no job security offered creates a cut-throat environment, where people would rather watch you drown then help you stay afloat.
Oustanding Company
Accounting Assitant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 27, 2015
This was a great place to work. The staff was extremely helpful and nice during my introductory period. My temporary assignment was extended due to my work ethic.
Do not go there.
Opto/Mechanical Technician III (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 17, 2015
Do not go there , still there today but may be gone tomorrow without any notices.
Excellent Company to work for with many opportunities for growth
Group Leader / Internal ISO Auditor (Former Employee) –  Franklin, MADecember 1, 2014
Loved working at Newport Corporation's Franklin Manufacturing facility, I was exposed to many manufacturing techniques and really interesting products. Unfortunately after working there for nine years I had to resign my position due to the distance from my families new home in Warwick, RI. I had hoped on working the remainder of my professional career with this corporation.
Pros
Cool Products, High Salaries, Positive Work Environment
Cons
Cannot believe the difference of the engineering level compare to Northern Cal
Sr. Staff Reliability /System Engineer (Current Employee) –  Irvine CAJuly 8, 2014
To see is to believe. Words can not describe the situations.
i like my maneger she is so nice.
wherehousing (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 16, 2014
actually I do not like my job I'm not happy everything in the Newport corporation great but I like security job because I have experience for providing security and support for your fellow brother is vital not usa in the my country.i was trained by the best in the field of security.i also have knowledge and training of martial arts.i have handgun safety certificate and carry handgun.i have experience for cpr and aed adult in the American red cross.i"m so responsible to my job.
Pros
benefit great
Cons
good break
I enjoyed my job!!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAApril 10, 2014
I had a lot of responsibilities. Management did not micro-manage their team, they let them do the job they were hired for.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Salary
From what I remember it was challenging
Systems Integrator (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MAOctober 9, 2013
Fun place to work while I was there. Always a changing and dynamic place to work as industry continues to change.
100% productive
Material Handler II (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 31, 2013
i learn to receive international e-mail and handled internal request
how to make list of all items clients needed. I also learn organized the office update all data and work with all coordinator
i learn how to used a clamp,sit down
Pros
free lunch
Cons
free brake
liked the people
Assembly/Calibration Technician (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNMarch 20, 2013
cared more about shipments than the people, management did very little for a lot of people, it was all about the all mighty dollar
Good people working with awful management
Former engineer (Former Employee) –  IrvineFebruary 23, 2013
Co-workers are great, honest, hard working people. Middle managers are great. Executives are nice and approachable, but incompetent. Bad executive decision after bad decision. Benefits and compensation are below market and get worst each year. HR is a mess. Limited advancement opportunities. Used to be a secure job but now letting people go regularly because of bad acquisitions.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
inept management
Professional but high turnover
Senior Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 26, 2013
Good place to work, but layoffs closely follow incoming orders
This company rocks
Mfg Technician III-Cal Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 8, 2013
I've nothing bad to say about this company. Except for the fact that it changed hands 3 or 4 times they always treated me great. I became quite sick about 6 years ago and they went out of their way to help me in every way.they possibly could. I was able to advance because my bosses believed in me. They created a safe environment among the highly volatile gases because we were trained so well.
Pros
everything
Cons
that they moved the company to thailand and uk and destroyed our lives
photonics technology; worked for this company and it's predessecors 32 years, management philosophies varied with the ownership
Thin Film Deposition Technician/Optics Fabrication (Former Employee) –  franklin,massDecember 12, 2012
There really were no typical days at work since each day was subject to different problems.(ie;equipment downtime,material shortages,scheduling issues,etc.) .Learned vacuum coating processes,optics replication processes, light measurement techniques using various types of spectro-photometers and optical component assembly . Co-workers varied with personality. Some were easy to work with and others not so much. Most difficult part of the job were the many variables that could occur during vacuum coating processes which affected the end result and the subsequent troubleshooting efforts.
Pros
short commute to work
Cons
few opportunities for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Newport Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8