Newsday Employee Reviews in United States

A very united workplace and able to communicate easily.
Interactive Social Media Intern (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYJuly 18, 2016
My time spent at Newsday was very informative. I was able to express my opinion as an intern and valued as the other colleagues. This environment really allowed me to learn so much from the talented employees at Newsday. A typical work day would have me covering different events and finding trending stories on every social media platform. So every day was not the same, which is so exciting about journalism.
Great Part Time Job
Collations Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYApril 20, 2016
Good place to work, I have met many people that have become almost like family to me. My Co workers are highly intelligent people and I have grown to treat them as my brothers and sisters.
Pros
Longevity
Cons
Short Breaks
Part time
Audit Receive Clerk (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYMarch 25, 2016
I work in the company, it is an amazing place to work. Only negative thing about the company if the had health care for part time worker. or some type health benefit. for them. They worker manager friendly where you can speak to your manager and they try their best to help you with what ever issues you have. I would refer anyone that want to work their
Pros
Cons
no health care if you part time
Workplace review
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYJanuary 20, 2016
Working for Newsday is an great experience, I' ve learned new things and improved my customer service skills. The management team is very good and on top of things, theres an open door policy so we can go and talk to the managers and they will help us with anything.

This is a great environment to work in, on a daily basis we take calls in regards to the newspaper delivery. Sometimes their are complaints in regards to missed papers, late paper or any delivery issue. Whenever there is an complaint we must document the account accordingly.
benefits!
customer service (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYNovember 4, 2015
Newsday is a great place to work with great benefits. Management is super nice and hold you accountable. The company promotes individual growth
Cons
short breaks
professional atmosphere
Senior Photo Retoucher (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYOctober 26, 2015
Working at newsday has been a very positive experience. Recognition of superior work, excellent pay. promotion opportunities. Standard holidays paid. good shifts
Pros
Recognition of superior work
Cons
Exciting and fast paced office.
Office Manager in the newsroom (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYSeptember 22, 2015
I've learned how to defuse difficult situations that arise on a daily basis. I enjoy working in a fast pace environment. The hardest part of the job is dealing with staff during difficult times when breaking news occurs. Providing staff with the proper tools to cover situations. These could be hotel rooms, food, laptops, i-pads.
Pros
Hi stress environment. Wonderful manager. Great staff
Cons
Healthcare and job stability
Friendly environment
Customer Service, Sales, and Retention (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYAugust 27, 2015
Friendly and caring staff and management team dedicated to helping employees grow and be fully equipped to perform at their respective jobs.
Pros
Occasional free lunches
Cons
Not enough job security
Newsday a great place to work
apple and mac computer technician (Former Employee) –  melvilleAugust 5, 2015
a great place to work free lunch good managemnet great perks love the people short ride great managers fun place good salary
Pros
salary
Cons
lunch room
It will be better in the new building
Library/Editorial Research Director (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYAugust 2, 2015
I spent several years at Newsday. When I was laid off, I never shed a tear. Good people for the most part, except for a handful of execs.
Very good job, but not for everyone.
Collator (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYMay 18, 2015
Newsday is a great place to work at with so much opportunity they would give you, but unless you have a college degree it is very hard to move up.
Professional atmosphere great management team
Photo Retoucher/Color Corrector/ Scanner Operator (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYMay 1, 2015
I have worked at newsday for 28 years and have worked at several positions and worked up the ranks to their lead Photo retoucher color corrector and scanner operator. I have accepted a voluntary buyout package and I am now looking for a new rewarding position n the photo retouching field
Pros
busy work environment
Cons
More people leaving than joining - slowly dying business
Director Preprint Strategy, Finance (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYApril 22, 2015
Constant pressure to change the business because of sinking revenues. Last 5-7 years have been very rough on the newspaper industry and each year dozens of people loss their jobs at Newsday. The search for saving money is non-stop.

New publisher comes with very little industry background and leadership style is awkward.

Overall all moral is at its lowest and most people stay because really have no other choice.
Cons
Productive and fun place. Management is a blessing to work with as is other coworkers.
Collator (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYFebruary 25, 2015
I love working here It's a great job with great people. Management is excellent, easy to get long with and very understanding. The job is hard work sometimes but it's still pleasurable and I enjoy being there.
Pros
management. great pay.
Cons
not enough hours.
no advancement of growth
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYSeptember 14, 2014
As with any call center job, they may pay well, however the newspaper is a failing, declining business. In such situations any company will do what it can to generate sales. High call volume is one thing, but sales tactics that undermine the progress of the company is another. It's to the point that I believe the company is desperate and will do anything to mislead the customer for profits, despite the legality.
Pros
decent pay, benefits
Cons
the newspaper business in general is a failing business, be prepared!
Convenient
Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYJuly 14, 2014
Overall, ok! Micro managed (depends on the manager). No flexible hours and no work from home is an issue.
delivered newspapers to retail outlets
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Mellevile,nyMarch 26, 2014
Start at 2:00am and work till job was completed Monitored the loading of truck. Checked all documentation.
Pros
good salary
Cons
awake in the middle of night, had to work every weekend
Fast paced work environment
Newspaper Deliveryman (Former Employee) –  LICJanuary 29, 2014
Put together papers then deliver throughout nyc.Collected weekly payments
Cons
must have your own vehicle
Easy going paced environment
Collator Operator (Former Employee) –  Setauket, NYSeptember 27, 2013
Enjoyed working there since my whole family worked for it as some point.
Pros
easy going worked at own pace
hard hours to work with family no real advancement and a dying industry
prepress supervisor (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYSeptember 20, 2013
I have always been in a leadership role
learned and honed my skills over the years and continue to learn every day
fast paced deadline oriented environment.
I shine the best under pressure and think quick on my feet
I Have great relationships with clients management and employees at all levels
looking to advance and build on my experiences.