Newsday Employee Reviews

productive, relaxed environment
Collator (Former Employee) –  Melville, NY 11747April 20, 2017
It's a great part-time job easy to balance out life. Overtime available, set-schedule, regular raises but no room for advancement. Management is good for the over night shift, from what I hear day shift is more strict.
Pros
not fast paced, down time, overtime
Cons
warehouse, only 1 break, loud
demanding schedule
Part - Time Collator Operator (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYApril 8, 2017
not much flexibility, can be difficult to work a second job at times. some of the mangement staff and supervisors very rigid with scheduling not a funplace
Never a boring day...
Journalist / information graphics artist (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYJanuary 27, 2017
Fast pace professional environment that keeps me constantly busy. Never a boring day. Wonderful co-workers who know their jobs. The hardest part of the job is the daily deadline. The most enjoyable part of the job is the daily deadline.
Great work environment.
PT Graphic Artist PT (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJanuary 7, 2017
I began Newsday in the secretarial role for the Operations department and further expanded my career into Graphic Artist, part time.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
Great learning and growth oportunities
Buyer / P-Card & American Express Administrator (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYAugust 29, 2016
I started as a part-time switchboard operator, which afforded me a unique opportunity to deal with everyone in the company. My advancement brought me from that to a full time Buyer/Purchasing Card Administrator and American Express Travel Coordinator, until Newsday was sold to the Tribune company and the purchasing department was downsized.
Coincidentally, Cablevision went on to purchase Newsday from the Tribune so my prior and then current employers were all under the same company umbrella.
Pros
Company had a small town feel, and offered in house advancement
Cons
Company was sold and reorganized, major culture changes.
Enjoyable place to work. Very innovative and technically proactive company. Interesting industry to work in.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYAugust 16, 2016
Employees are friendly and dedicated to their jobs. There are always new projects going on in the company such as new software implementations and new system upgrades, which keeps the job interesting and challenging. Management is open to suggestions for improving relations with employees.
Best Place Ever
Admin Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYJuly 25, 2016
I loved working here back in New York, I have a great experience with everyone their. My co-workers were like family, and we worked as a team. I learned a lot about management within the admin department.
A very united workplace and able to communicate easily.
Interactive Social Media Intern (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYJuly 18, 2016
My time spent at Newsday was very informative. I was able to express my opinion as an intern and valued as the other colleagues. This environment really allowed me to learn so much from the talented employees at Newsday. A typical work day would have me covering different events and finding trending stories on every social media platform. So every day was not the same, which is so exciting about journalism.
Great Part Time Job
Collations Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYApril 20, 2016
Good place to work, I have met many people that have become almost like family to me. My Co workers are highly intelligent people and I have grown to treat them as my brothers and sisters.
Pros
Longevity
Cons
Short Breaks
Part time
Audit Receive Clerk (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYMarch 25, 2016
I work in the company, it is an amazing place to work. Only negative thing about the company if the had health care for part time worker. or some type health benefit. for them. They worker manager friendly where you can speak to your manager and they try their best to help you with what ever issues you have. I would refer anyone that want to work their
Pros
Cons
no health care if you part time
Workplace review
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYJanuary 20, 2016
Working for Newsday is an great experience, I' ve learned new things and improved my customer service skills. The management team is very good and on top of things, theres an open door policy so we can go and talk to the managers and they will help us with anything.

This is a great environment to work in, on a daily basis we take calls in regards to the newspaper delivery. Sometimes their are complaints in regards to missed papers, late paper or any delivery issue. Whenever there is an complaint we must document the account accordingly.
benefits!
customer service (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYNovember 4, 2015
Newsday is a great place to work with great benefits. Management is super nice and hold you accountable. The company promotes individual growth
Cons
short breaks
professional atmosphere
Senior Photo Retoucher (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYOctober 26, 2015
Working at newsday has been a very positive experience. Recognition of superior work, excellent pay. promotion opportunities. Standard holidays paid. good shifts
Pros
Recognition of superior work
Cons
Exciting and fast paced office.
Office Manager in the newsroom (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYSeptember 22, 2015
I've learned how to defuse difficult situations that arise on a daily basis. I enjoy working in a fast pace environment. The hardest part of the job is dealing with staff during difficult times when breaking news occurs. Providing staff with the proper tools to cover situations. These could be hotel rooms, food, laptops, i-pads.
Pros
Hi stress environment. Wonderful manager. Great staff
Cons
Healthcare and job stability
Friendly environment
Customer Service, Sales, and Retention (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYAugust 27, 2015
Friendly and caring staff and management team dedicated to helping employees grow and be fully equipped to perform at their respective jobs.
Pros
Occasional free lunches
Cons
Not enough job security
Newsday a great place to work
apple and mac computer technician (Former Employee) –  melvilleAugust 5, 2015
a great place to work free lunch good managemnet great perks love the people short ride great managers fun place good salary
Pros
salary
Cons
lunch room
It will be better in the new building
Library/Editorial Research Director (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYAugust 2, 2015
I spent several years at Newsday. When I was laid off, I never shed a tear. Good people for the most part, except for a handful of execs.
Very good job, but not for everyone.
Collator (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYMay 18, 2015
Newsday is a great place to work at with so much opportunity they would give you, but unless you have a college degree it is very hard to move up.
Professional atmosphere great management team
Photo Retoucher/Color Corrector/ Scanner Operator (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYMay 1, 2015
I have worked at newsday for 28 years and have worked at several positions and worked up the ranks to their lead Photo retoucher color corrector and scanner operator. I have accepted a voluntary buyout package and I am now looking for a new rewarding position n the photo retouching field
Pros
busy work environment
Cons
More people leaving than joining - slowly dying business
Director Preprint Strategy, Finance (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYApril 22, 2015
Constant pressure to change the business because of sinking revenues. Last 5-7 years have been very rough on the newspaper industry and each year dozens of people loss their jobs at Newsday. The search for saving money is non-stop.

New publisher comes with very little industry background and leadership style is awkward.

Overall all moral is at its lowest and most people stay because really have no other choice.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Newsday. Our community is ready to answer.