Newspaper

Newspaper Employer Reviews

Fruitful experience
A Freelance Journalist (Former Employee), Juba, South SudanAugust 19, 2014
Pros: achievements
Cons: challenges
Identifying newsworthy events,
Tipping editors on news events,
Covering news stories,
Writing news stories,
Reporting to news agencies,
Sending by email to news stations etc
Financial constraint
Publication with byline
Favorite job yet!
VIEWPOINT PUBLIC RELATIONS intern (Former Employee), Beverly Hills, CAJune 17, 2014
Pros: experience with clients
Cons: non paid
I moved down here for an internship to help further my involvement in the Public Relations field. I can now say that this internship has solidified my interest in becoming a Public Relations Publicist.
Job while in college
Editor in Chief (Former Employee), Canton, MOFebruary 15, 2014
I worked my way from just a reporter to Features Editor to Editor in Chief while spending my 4 years at Culver-Stockton College. The paper was bi-weekly and didn't require too much time to perform the tasks I needed to do since I was also studying and working on many other classes at the same time.
Unique position within newspaper industry
Education Coordinator (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 1, 2013
I enjoyed working with Trib Total Media to advance their community engagement through educational programs.
productive and fun
Houston Chronicle (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 31, 2013
Pros: free transportation and lunches
Cons: walking in 100 degree weather for hours at a time- no complaints.
loved to talk to people and interact. I loved this job because I was always on my feet moving around I believe that you get paid by how you do your job. I was put with nice friendly people who were motivated to better their lives for their family, children and themselves like I am.
A cast of many characters - despite the hard work we managed to have a few laughs in between.
Ad Taker/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 22, 2013
Pros: good benefits package.
Cons: job advancement.
A TYPICAL DEADLINE DAY: Heavy customer service and typing!!!!! Tons of emails and faxes not to mention walk-ins. Entering ads from the sales reps. Dealing with the production department. At the end of the day you had to generate reports and process the payments you received from customers. You felt like you were on roller skates and when you left to go home you felt like a zombie.

A TYPICAL DAY AFTER DEADLINE: Less hectic except you had to proofread the layouts and resend copy to the production dept.

MID WEEK: You got to relax a little. The newspaper was delivered.

END OF WEEK: More deadlines but not as hectic as the beginning of the week. Just a lot of typing of Announcements.

WHAT I LEARNED? To be a team player. Everybody's role is valuable!!

THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB: Running the department by myself when my supervisor was on vacation. At one point we had 3 people in the department then the 3rd ad taker left and management didn't want to rehire someone.

THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB: Knowing that you did a good days work and feeling proud of yourself for all that you accomplished.
Newspaper
The Times Leader (Former Employee), Wilkes-Barre, PAMay 28, 2013
Pros: money was great
Cons: disrespect from supervisors
Well although it is a good paying profession. Ther is alot of wear and tear on your car. Delivering in all types of weather. hardest part of the job getting up so early to deliver.
Wonderful Place to work.
Shopper Advertising Sales Executive (Former Employee), Greenville, SCJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: working with customers
Cons: pay
Enjoyed working for a shopper. Very different than a regular "Newspaper".
Oracle
Oral Roberts University Oracle (Former Employee), Tulsa,OKMay 19, 2012
Pros: free food/snacks, worked with friend(s), experience for newspaper
Cons: lack of care, concern, not too flexible, draining, unappreciated
Didn't enjoy much. I would not work there if a freshman and sr. until you know you can handle all the work and super over time and late hours.