Next PLC
1,069 reviews

Next PLC Employer Reviews

great place to work , very challenging, great people
Store Manager/District Manager (Former Employee), CorkFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: great benefits, holiday pay, share options
Cons: working christmas
The best part of working each day was with working with my team of excellent managers and committed staff. Without a strong team under your leadership, it is very difficult to manage such a large store productively and efficiently. What you get out of people, is reflective of what you put in.
I'd pay people not to work there
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee), County DurhamFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: made lots of good friends, customer experience bonus, discount
Cons: bad management, sly staff, poor break times and length, little training, no progression, no fairness, rude people
I worked for NEXT for 3years and began when I was 16/17. I had absolutely no training and took it upon myself to learn how to do things because nobody else helped. I think I was able to go on a training programme once a week but had no personal help. I did enjoy my first 1 and a half years there as with a lovely manager and nice staff everything was okay. But the last year or so it went down hill. They would give people who had been there 5minutes full-time jobs over people who had more experience and had been there longer. There was a lot of bitchiness and if you werent in the right clique then nobody liked you.
Great workplace.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Liverpool AintreeJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: everything.
I worked previously for Next before I left for a full time job, however, after returning to work for Next, I instantly realised I'd made a huge mistake in leaving the first time. The training, colleagues and management at the store are second to none. Approachable friendly, helpful and empathetic are just a few words I can describe. Next work around my college days and I'm able to pick up extra shifts when available for an added boost to my wage. They have incentives which increase your wage. The most enjoyable part of my job is the customers; no day is the same and working on different departments is a learning curve as childrenswear, menswear and womenswear all operate differently but to the same work ethos. I highly recommend if you're looking for a part time job, or even if it's a first job. You get all the training you need, and reviews to see how you're managing and the management offer guidance where you feel is needed to build your confidence.
Load of lies
Sales team (Current Employee), CheshireJanuary 11, 2015
Cons: everything
All the company is bothered about is their profits, the couldn't care one bit about your wellbeing or if you needed help with the job. Poor pay for what you do. You get messed around with constantly. Rediculous hours ranging from 1 hour to 12 hours. The only training I ever got was on a "learning" portal which lasted five minutes and that was it. Basically self tought myself how to use all the tills ect. Wouldn't recommend to anybody!
Sales assitant (Former Employee), PlymouthJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: great co-workers, well guided, decent pay
Cons: v. short temp contract, tiring, hours
I was a temp for christmas and my co-workers were great, I was shown how to do everything and the atmosphere was the right balance between productive and relaxed. It was frustrating to only work two shifts, and as there are so many, it is difficult to 'stand out', but whilst there was always something to do and I was exhausted by the end of it, the job was reasonably enjoyable.As a first job it was great for experience and money so would recomend.
fun work place
team work.
huge sales.
Avoid at all costs.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), ManchesterJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: 25% staff discount, 75% uniform allowance
Cons: everything.
When i first started at Next i was not given any training or support. I was put on stock as soon as i walked in on my first day without a clue about anything in the store. This involved getting clothes from the fitting rooms and putting them out in store ensuring all clothes are tidy while approaching all the customers.
This also got worse after a few months when i was put in fitting rooms by myself during a sales day with hardly any idea of what i was doing.

I was then put on tills with no training and managers having a go at me like it was my fault for not knowing what to do. Luckily, you do come across some nice people who are willing to help. I was with the company for many months & they still didn't put me on for returns. Which again, was somehow my fault. The management were never prepared to take blame for anything.

I was supposed to be doing 7.5 hours a week but i found myself doing way more than that a week. If you do have a certain contract, you probably won't be doing those hours each week. They tend to give out shorter contracts so people are entitled to shorter holidays.

Overall, from my experience i would not recommend this job to anyone unless you are absolutely desperate.
Imagine a job where you aren't trained, have ridiculous hours and an unpredictable rota... that's Next.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee), LincolnDecember 7, 2014
Pros: nice people to work with
Cons: ridiculous shifts even though they have your availability, long hours, repetitive job, 0 training, mind numbing tasks, short break/shift length ratio, does your back in
When I heard that I had got a temporary christmas job at Next i was over the moon - it seemed like a good company to work for and i could use the money to save for a car.

I couldn't have been more blind.

First of all I'll state the best thing about the place - the co-workers. At the Next i work at everyone is really friendly and will help you (which is beneficial as dont expect to be trained), however on more than one occasion i have felt my ears burning.

Unfortunately, that is the only good thing. Bad points i think i will list because it is easier.

1) dont ever expect to finish your shift anywhere near where you are meant to (i've left at half an hour to an hour late before today.
2) unpredictable shifts. I was hired to work 7.5 hours a week, this is fair enough because i am still at school. However, every week i've worked there i've been doing 8 and 9 hours a week. It's not exactly a lot extra but i think if you are given a contract you should at least stick to it. The worst thing is now it's nearing christmas, i've been given 7, 8 and 9 hour shifts (on school days ((so i cant even physically be there))) even though my avalability is clear to see. And it's not just one or two days a week, it's every day.
3) No training. You'd think that if a new employee started at the store you might actually show them the ropes? Nope. Out of luck, friend. There isn't a chance anyone will give you any idea on what to do until your 6th shift at least (this is when i was finally given a till pin and put on a till). It is quite funny though to see staff ask what training you have had and – more... when you say "none" everyone agrees it is ridiculous. Even the management (who im pretty sure ahould be running the place).
4) cheeky customers. Not rude, but cheeky. They swan in with a "holier than thou" attitude (because they are shopping at next (?)) ive had the most rididculous questions asked, such as "is this waterproof jacket waterproof?". And when you smile at customers as you pass the faces some of them pull.....

All in all i wouldnt suggest working here, unless you are the most flexible person with time this world has produced. – less
never again
Sales Team Member (Former Employee), Westfield London, ENGNovember 30, 2014
Pros: local
Cons: everything
Worked here for 2 months too long, let me just name a couple things

• random shifts which sometimes were outside of your availability .. When I tried to change my availability it was rejected. They also need to remember that I'm a student & all of my time cannot be dedicated to staff of I wanted it to be I would have applied for a full time position

• rudeness of some staff. Also they try treat you like rubbish if your a younger member of staff

• very poor security, my bank card was stolen a manger was informed yet nothing happened .. This doesn't make a very safe environment for staff to work in does it

• no training given .. So you're left literally clueless & having to pick up things for yourself

• working the sweat off yourself for nothing what so ever

Another thing I'm going to add so many staff are leaving this branch so what is this saying about the company ..

Some staff however I really do miss & were friendly can't say as much for others .. A benefit of the job was that it was local to my college and to my home
A workplace that is fast going downhill!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Grimsby, ENGNovember 4, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: poor wages, rubbish hours, stressful environment
I used to love my job, however the last year of working for next was bad I used to wake up in the morning hoping to be poorly so I didn't have to go in (that's when you know you need to get out) .

The people I worked with I will sadly miss, unfortunately for next it's all the big wigs that have made it an unbearable place to work. However it's not them that have to work on the shop floor and deal with the stress and customer complaints.
It's them that have withdrawn bonuses and cut staff, making your working day feel like your doing the job of three people.
I have never known a company to have so many leavers either, just in our one branch we had over 20 leavers in a matter of 8 months and as you can see from this site it's a regional thing!

Overall it's not a place I would recommend anyone work for, unless you like being treat like a slave, enjoy working ridiculous hours and like to feel drained after every shift.

Also if you do work for next be prepared to pay back your wages once you have left.
Don't work here...
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee), LakesideOctober 28, 2014
Cons: rude staff, unpredictable shifts, unrealistic expectations, dirty work environment, uninformative, uninspiring managers
I joined up with Next the other week as a Christmas temp, however left very swiftly. I initially was invited to an 'assessment day' where I was given various retail tasks etc. then I was given a short interview. During the interview I was openly told how badly I'd done during my time on the shop floor, however I understand that they were so understaffed that they offered me the job anyway.

Without literally any notice I was made to participate in an unpaid 4 hour induction which was the biggest waste of my time ever, we basically just watched DVD's and walked round the shop. Now obviously I don't want to question the aspirations of the people managing the shop, however my inductor was a school dropout who had worked in Next for 8 years, not a position I want to get myself into (I'm on a gap year).

My role would be in the stockroom, which was a hot, sweaty environment. I wouldn't have minded this however the training was non existent in this department. My understanding of the role was very poor, but I hadn't been provided with any information on it.

At the end of my induction, they said I'd start the next day, which I didn't exactly find feesable, however I agreed because at the time I wanted the job. I set off to work the following morning however I don't live near the store I was employed at so I left with 45 minutes to spare. First of all the traffic was horrendous so I ended up being late and when I explained the situation I was told just to get to work.

I was given the job of barcode scanning items coming in, however I had no idea how to use this device and was barked at for not doing it correctly. The staff here are arrogant, rude and provocative. You're treated like a robot here. I didn't return the following the day and refused to sign the contract because it wasn't worth the stress travelling there everyday in heavy traffic only to not enjoy my job. I can't recommend this place to anyone unfortunately. Avoid.
The worst company I have ever worked for
Menswear Manager (Former Employee), Leicester Highcross, ENGOctober 15, 2014
Pros: none!
Cons: the job
If I could give this company -5* I would

It's taken a while to get around to doing this - but I walked past the store other day and it sent shivers down my spine.

I worked for the Highcross Store back in 2008-2010, worked my way up from a temp to a Stockroom Manager in roughly 12 months. Those were the days when it was fun, enjoyable and there were inspiring leaders to work with had an team focused attitude! I looked forward to my day

I left the company to pursue other interests however returned as the Menswear Manager in 2013 - biggest mistake of my life. The culture was horrendous. By the time I had left (5 months later in 2014), another senior manager had left, one other followed shortly after, another after that and then another....staff turnover says it all.

I have never been treated in such a childish way by anyone in any employment. I was never trained once, in fact training overall was a joke - a simple tick box exercise. As a 'manager' I was never trained however expected to carry out training with other employees and then harshly reprimanded when it was not completed correctly - go figure!

Leaving on time - forget that - even leaving 15 minutes late was not good enough - usual week would be at least 10-12 hours of overtime un paid

Lunch......forget that - maybe once or twice a week

Getting any over-time back - forget that too - I worked a 16 hour shift over Christmas, not that I was asked to things just needed to be done, and never once thanked or even a smile from 'senior' management

Having to leave in an emergency when your 2 month old daughter is ill and – more... needs to be rushed to hospital - you'd think there would be some sort of compassion, nope, I was simply made to feel as though I should not leave and then never once asked by 'senior' management if my daughter was even ok....who does that?

I worked there for 5 months and not once did I have an appraisal, not once did the 'senior' manager sit down and ask 'hows is it going' or offer support, or even ask...well....anything...

The culture of the store was lead by fear, not passion or excitement for the product or for the brand - just the results!

Hours were cut so severely that in the mornings and evenings there were only 3 team members working on my floor, including me but still expected to do the same amount of work when I had double the team - and of course then reprimanded when it was not complete. I had no full time team member so no one had any commitment to the job and I do not blame them with rotas being changed daily without notice

I could write a book about what really went on but to be honest I just don't want to waste my time, I now have a lovely job with people who you can actually approach to ask questions, where you actually can enjoy your work take pride in what you do.

I would advise everyone to avoid this company like the plague - do not enter, do not progress, do pass go as you will not collect $200

Sickening place to work for - although I think this was down to the particular management in our store - though the company ethos was pretty shocking in reality, cut hours, cut contracts, make people redundant whilst the company has the audacity to put up posters in the staff room showing how fantastic the sales results are - disgusting behaviour in my opinion.

Oh and expect to be spoken to as if you are 10...even if your in your 20's...or 30's....or 40s....

avoid, avoid, avoid - an opinion held by pretty much every team member in the store.....simply everyone was looking for other jobs...says it all really.

Don't touch that application form, it will be the biggest mistake you could make...look at all the recent reviews on here..and take heed – less

October 30, 2014

I should add that there were some good people with whom I worked with during my time at Next - though most of them have left.....there were periods of fun....but these were few and far between. If the management structure was such that 'senior' managers were actually trained correctly, this would pass on down to the lowest level. A phrase well known 'you are only as good as your weakest link' - the most important point to be remembered in regards to this phrase is that the weakest link is not always at the bottom of the chain...

Worst experience ever
Sales (Former Employee), GrimsbySeptember 25, 2014
Pros: staff discount
Cons: management, the hours, no appreciation
Wouldn't even give this company one star!
Worst place to work ever, if anyone asks me to recommend next as a work place I wouldn't,

Management - absolutely disgusting attitudes, lazy and self cantered! only interested in themselves and making money, couldn't care less about their staff, the staff who make the place function, maybe you should have abit more respect then all your staff wouldn't be handing in their notices!

I used to dread going to work because I knew the stress it put me under and the bad mood it put me in!
Second Review
Sales Consultant (Current Employee), ManchesterSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: hourly rate
Cons: everything, attitudes towards some people
I'm the person who wrote Lies, Lies, Lies and I'm here to give an update.

My contract is supposedly due to end next Saturday and working here has been extremely tiring. First two weeks were okay, my manager was very nice and she asked me what I knew and what I didn't, however, I was put on front by a different manager on my very first shift but had someone show me how to use a radio and how to open the shutters. The team talks in the morning and absolutely useless and all they are doing is telling you how much money they're losing. I did get in trouble for talking to another member of staff while I was working but was confused on my second shift because the two girls I was working with kept sneaking off to the stock room or formal wear to have a nice sit down and chat leaving me to deal with a lot of customers on a Saturday on my own - they were nice girls though.

Second day of working I was put on shoes and was given a tour of the stockrooms and everything and she was a very nice girl, if you're lucky enough to come across nice people then working there will be easy. Help was provided when I asked.

A manager kept moving me from formal wear, to accessories and then to shoes, she sent me on my break and when I came back, I continued as I was at the accessories, she came across me and told me that I was supposed to tell her when I came back from my break, no one had told me this before and managers and a rare find there, it's impossible to find a manager there but you're always in the wrong. When I was put on shoes, I wasn't told the stockrooms were changed around so I had – more... to figure that out on my own, the bigger and furthest away stockroom was due to be changed and I only knew that because I overheard another member of staff giving a tour of a new person. I was talking to a few people and I said that you don't know anything in this place, everything is all hush hush and if you don't know what's going on then it's apparently your problem, other members of staff immediately agreed. I was asked numerous times by the same people if I was till trained to which I replied with no, apparently somebody was supposed to come and train me but never did, I personally think the online training is useless and makes me think the company are lazy. Managers talk to you as if you're a child and stupid.

Fast forward to the last two weeks, I made friends with a girl there who sat with me on lunches we had together, the main person on shoes was a lot "softer" with me and talked to me more. Problems began to occur when I was given a 7am til 1pm shift knowing full well that I live an hour away meaning I have to wake up at 4am. I recently worked a 7am til 1pm shift only to rush there to find out security don't start until 6:50am and that "they won't come earlier because they don't get paid for that time", eventually the security person came dead on only to take his time doing the alarms and we had to wait outside in the freezing dark while he did his job, from there we had to rush to the top floor to go to the staffroom which is 12/16 flights of steps and make it back down to Home and clock in. When I finally arrived at home, I was told by some girl who I had never met before that she had switched with me and I was on childrenswear, I had no say in this and no one had told me until the very last minute. I proceeded to make my way up to childrenswear only to be made to scan items because the original childrenswear staff were behind on their work, I was showed how to scan however. Throughout the entire shift I was doing things I had never been shown to do before and had to learn on the spot, the staff were getting extremely tired of me because I was constantly asking them questions, the manager that was there was abrupt and constantly vanished. The people who I worked with on that department were extremely immature for their age, they were swearing excessively and acting like children because they don't like what their manager was doing which was sending them for their break individually and two of them insisted on "having a word" with the manager because they didn't get their own way. I absolutely hated working on childrenswear and don't intend to do it again as I'm assigned to work on womenswear, staff on womenswear are a lot more mature and friendly.

I still haven't been paid for my induction which was on the 26th of August but I'm trying to get as many hours as I can. I still haven't received my discount card and will try to get hold of a manager to arrange one but I don't see any point because my contract is meant to end next Saturday. I was due to start Sep 8th but started on Sep 11th which is not on, I am looking for other jobs and if I can't find any, unfortunately, I will re apply at Next because I cannot afford to live without an income. – less
DREADFUL PLACE
Sales assistant (Former Employee), ManchesterSeptember 3, 2014
There is nothing positive about working here..
Most staff are rude, nasty or stuck up
Everything you do is wrong and your fault
Runnish shifts
Put in the stockroom if the manager doesn't like you
Constantly told off
Extremely boring
Degrading managers making you feel worthless
Having to pretty much buy your uniform you don't like
Shifts put on outside your avaliability and are told there's nothing they can do
No training you are left clueless
Put you on a floor you are unfamiliar with and you have to some how deal with it for a shift
The shop is a joke!!!!! I wouldn't feel comfortable going in there as a customer absolute joke!
Lies Lies Llies
Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Manchester, UKAugust 28, 2014
Pros: staff discount
Cons: no time management skills, unorganised, liars
I applied to work for the summer, so it said. I worked for one day, 5:30am to 9am. I was NEVER told it was for just one day, I was NEVER told my contract had been terminated and was extremely embarrassed when I rang Next to ask about extra shifts that were said to be available to us and was told the news. I didn't get paid for my induction UNTIL I rang 3 times, first time I was told people in recruitment were "not in" and she would pass my information on but I heard nothing for a week, I rang again and I was told she would pass my information on and that recruitment were "very busy", third time I rang, I was told it'll be done in a few days which is was but when I checked how much I got, I had tax taken out and for the 2 hours I was there (was meant to be 45 minutes) I got a lousy £5, after tax (I'm 17). During my induction for the summer role, we were told we would get our ID badges but never received them as the photocopier was "broke", so my question is, where were they with 15 people’s information for 2 hours? We never received Next lanyards to feel part of the team.

When I applied, the job description was completely misleading, it came across as you would be working through the ENTIRE summer, but didn't tell you you're there as a slave because "proper" Next staff couldn't be bothered. When I was doing my first and last shift at Next at the summer sale, my "mentor" was making me take security tags off and I hadn't been trained to do these things, she would hop off to go to the toilet every 10 minutes or so and leave me on my own awkwardly standing there not knowing what – more... to say to very tired, very agitated customers who kept looking at me. However, after that shift, I thought the reason why it was horrible was because it was sale rush.

I applied again at Next and got lumbered with an 8hr contract, again during my team assessment after passing the telephone interview, I was told I'd get ID but still hadn't received it, I did get a lanyard though. During my induction, they took our passports and other information again for ID only to be told they have "run out" of cards and will be given them on the day of work - what have they been doing with my information on all four occasions.

During the induction, the guy was telling us how the bonus scheme works and he said something along the lines of people coming in to evaluate us and if we or one particular person didn't meet their expectations then the entire company will NOT get a bonus and he proceeded to say "imagine what people would say/do when they find out who was to blame", that shouldn't even crossed his mind to say that to a full room of 16 - 20 year olds!

It's taken two months to get my application shortlisted, get a phone interview, wait for the results, go to my team assessment and go to my induction (26th August) only to find out I started work SEP 8TH and my contract should end OCT 4TH, because they faffed around, I've missed out on potential work, they do say they will have shifts available but who knows.

I was excited to start my first ever job but after reading these reviews, I can safely say I'm not anymore. I am, however, looking for jobs while at Next and don't intend to stay long, they ARE very money orientated. – less
Avoid, especially if your thinking of doing full-time
Sales consultant (Former Employee), sutton surreyAugust 1, 2014
Pros: its easy to get a job, clocking out
Cons: boring, ungrateful managers, low salary, lack of training, no chance of progression, first time surfers
Worked here for 11months with little to no training, your told to sign into NEP each week but thats hard seeing as the store is either too busy or if your caught behind the till when its quiet you get moaned at to tidy the shop floor. Despite the lack of training I was constantly made to feel like I'm not good enough to work here because my product knowledge wasn't up to scratch … am I expected to learn about products that are constantly changing during my own free time? For next yes, your soul is theres once you sign that contract.

Some managers, especially the female ones, can be very petty and often try to poke their nose in your business, don't let them, It's their way of sucking you in. No such thing as confidentiality, even when they lie and say this is between you and them, it's not.

I was always bored and the work everyday was pretty mundane we have a book with tasks to complete during ''task time'', they are easy to do, except they always want you to do it quicker… all whilst greeting every customer you walk past … and covering your ''zones'' on the shop floor … and smile.

Next as a company is beyond irrelevant and their clothes quality and style is just smoke and mirrors, trust me I honestly think there only half a step or even the same level as Primark, they just refuse to accept it.

Overall it's not hard to put clothes on a hanger, work a till and ask a customer if they need help (the fact they don't even give formal interviews proves this point) but for Next they basically want you to be all over customers so much so its almost looks like we are either harassing them or spoiling them. Some customers get irritated when we over step the mark trying to ''help'' them whilst other take advantage of Next's desperation to please by demanding full refunds for items they had purchased over 1 year ago!

glad i left before they brought back first time surfers
Deceitful
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Kettering, NorthantsJuly 25, 2014
Pros: can't think of any
Cons: pedantic
Worked here for the Summer Sale. I'll keep this brief as my employment was brief. Basically I wouldn't have taken the job if I'd known it was only for one day, I specifically asked if there would be more shifts and was assured there was. There wasn't. Was told I would be paid for my induction. I have not been paid for my induction. Would I work for this company again? No.
CA World Solutions Review
control/Sales Assistant (Former Employee), San JoseJune 11, 2014
• Planning recruitment events to hire new staff.
• Recruiting staff - this includes developing job descriptions and person specifications, preparing job adverts, checking application forms, short listing.
• Attending meetings, taking minutes and keeping notes.
Chilled atmosphere with lovely people!
Sales assistant (Current Employee), Cowley, OxfordMay 20, 2014
Pros: discount card, employee portal.
Cons: short breaks
I've been working at Next for just over a year now and I'm glad I stuck it out because it has definitely got better over time. I have found that the longer you're there, the nicer the managers will be too you. I don't know why people are complaining about always having to talk to customers because quite honestly you shouldn't be working in a shop if you can't do that. Yes we have to work christmas eve and boxing day, but so does every other employee who works in any clothes shop in the UK. Plus if you're doing a 5am start on boxing day they won't make you work longer than 8 hours so you can still spend time with your family in the afternoon.
I must be lucky working in my next store because it's not as bad as what everyone else is making out. It's a very chilled atmosphere and all the staff and managers are friendly and if a manager asks you to do overtime and you say you can't then they let it go straight away and go ask someone else. I love the fact that you can go online to book shifts and holiday and they're always really fast to approve holiday leave.
Overall, it's a lovely place to work with a lovely atmosphere!

1 2 3 4

About Next PLC

NEXT designs and markets licensed, branded, and private line promotional items and sportswear. The company's private line comprises – Read more

Next PLC Photos