Next PLC Employee Reviews

Very bad company to work with
Interviewed for sales consultant (Former Employee) –  Watford City, NDDecember 9, 2015
Next called me 5 times for team assessment but did not give me the job. During team assessment, they asked me to work on the shop floor for 4 hours and did not pay me anything. They want people to work for free during team assessment. THEY DO NOT HIRE PEOPLE THEY ARE USING THEM FOR THEIR OWN BENEFIT.
Not a good company to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  SheffieldOctober 15, 2015
They hire Christmas temps and give them little to no training leaving you in the lurch. There aren't enough staff so you're expected to do 3 peoples jobs at once. Managers are rude and unhelpful. The rota management is awful. Expect to be put on the rota multiple times without even being asked if you're available to work. When you have a genuine reason for not being able to work on that day you get told off. Managers are constantly watching you and criticising your work while they do nothing but stand around talking. 8 hours+ on your feet and you only get a short break. The only thing I enjoyed was interacting with the customers. Overall I would not recommend working for this company. It's not worth it for the experience you're put through.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Short breaks, Hardly any training, Long hours etc
Horrendous disrespect for staff and a complete false appearance
Temporary assistant (Former Employee) –  DundeeApril 13, 2015
I worked as a temp for the sale at the Dundee Home store and although management were all smiles and full of the expected positive nonsense at the start that quickly faded. Communication was non existent and no training was provided: I was put in the not too fun position of working the till on sales day with no prior experience or training. When your contract is over- which is never inclined by management, the computer screen tells you on the day, no thanks for your effort or a hint of respect to tell you face to face.

The wage is also very low for the experience you're put through.

I would strongly advise everyone to steer clear of this company despite its popular image.
Pros
£10 gift card for completing the 3 hour interview
Cons
short shifts, low wage, no communication, lies and falseness
great place to work , very challenging, great people
Store Manager/District Manager (Former Employee) –  CorkFebruary 26, 2015
The best part of working each day was with working with my team of excellent managers and committed staff. Without a strong team under your leadership, it is very difficult to manage such a large store productively and efficiently. What you get out of people, is reflective of what you put in.
Pros
great benefits, holiday pay, share options
Cons
working christmas
Load of lies
Sales team (Current Employee) –  CheshireJanuary 11, 2015
All the company is bothered about is their profits, the couldn't care one bit about your wellbeing or if you needed help with the job. Poor pay for what you do. You get messed around with constantly. Rediculous hours ranging from 1 hour to 12 hours. The only training I ever got was on a "learning" portal which lasted five minutes and that was it. Basically self tought myself how to use all the tills ect. Wouldn't recommend to anybody!
Cons
everything
I'd pay people not to work there
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  County DurhamFebruary 2, 2015
I worked for NEXT for 3years and began when I was 16/17. I had absolutely no training and took it upon myself to learn how to do things because nobody else helped. I think I was able to go on a training programme once a week but had no personal help. I did enjoy my first 1 and a half years there as with a lovely manager and nice staff everything was okay. But the last year or so it went down hill. They would give people who had been there 5minutes full-time jobs over people who had more experience and had been there longer. There was a lot of bitchiness and if you werent in the right clique then nobody liked you.
Pros
made lots of good friends, customer experience bonus, discount
Cons
bad management, sly staff, poor break times and length, little training, no progression, no fairness, rude people
Sales assitant (Former Employee) –  PlymouthJanuary 5, 2015
I was a temp for christmas and my co-workers were great, I was shown how to do everything and the atmosphere was the right balance between productive and relaxed. It was frustrating to only work two shifts, and as there are so many, it is difficult to 'stand out', but whilst there was always something to do and I was exhausted by the end of it, the job was reasonably enjoyable.As a first job it was great for experience and money so would recomend.
Pros
great co-workers, well guided, decent pay
Cons
v. short temp contract, tiring, hours
Worst experience ever
Sales (Former Employee) –  GrimsbySeptember 25, 2014
Wouldn't even give this company one star!
Worst place to work ever, if anyone asks me to recommend next as a work place I wouldn't,

Management - absolutely disgusting attitudes, lazy and self cantered! only interested in themselves and making money, couldn't care less about their staff, the staff who make the place function, maybe you should have abit more respect then all your staff wouldn't be handing in their notices!

I used to dread going to work because I knew the stress it put me under and the bad mood it put me in!
Pros
staff discount
Cons
management, the hours, no appreciation
Dreadful place
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  ManchesterSeptember 3, 2014
There is nothing positive about working here..
Most staff are rude, nasty or stuck up
Everything you do is wrong and your fault
Runnish shifts
Put in the stockroom if the manager doesn't like you
Constantly told off
Extremely boring
Degrading managers making you feel worthless
Having to pretty much buy your uniform you don't like
Shifts put on outside your avaliability and are told there's nothing they can do
No training you are left clueless
Put you on a floor you are unfamiliar with and you have to some how deal with it for a shift
The shop is a joke!!!!! I wouldn't feel comfortable going in there as a customer absolute joke!
Pushy Staff, Rude, Poorly Planned
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  WiltshireFebruary 1, 2014
I worked for this company over the Christmas period and other than its pay, which is better than many companies, it had no perks. I was constantly asked to work, my shifts were not documented properly which meant I had no choice but to work on last minute timings as they had not been placed on the employee portal, my bag searches were done in front of customers without notification which was quite frankly embarrassing and some members of staff were just quite rude.
Cons
rude, pushy, poorly planned
Directory staff & it's awful!!
Customer Service Advisor-directory (Current Employee) –  LeicesterOctober 16, 2013
Please do not apply for a job here! Iv worked my butt off to reach almost impossible stats for bonus for 3 months to be told yesterday because we're on probation till the end of the year I won't get it! Holidays are impossible to get, I have to just have half days dotted about when I can not when I want! I had 1 day off sick, manager saw me be sick in my waste bin & I got disciplined. I was promised a promotion which never materialised! People are very rude & talk in their own language & was disciplined for being 8 seconds back from lunch!
Such a high turnover of staff & it's not at all surprising!!
Pros
25% discount
Cons
everything!!!
indeeed awful!!
Stockroom Assisitant (Former Employee) –  AberdeenAugust 3, 2013
Stockroom assistant,was not meant to be a tough job,but the management and entire staff have a very bad attitude.Nothing hard about replenishing or tagging or cubing,management is so wrong,very uncultured beings,too much gossips.Look down on people working on Shop floor or stockroom.The management cant be bothered about you or welfare.How come people say terrible things about NEXT plc?Nothing hard about the job,most enjoyable is just looking at some of the lovely clothes and designs that;s all..
Worst company I have ever worked - don't accept a job with Next !
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  SuffolkJanuary 15, 2013
Very poor management from top to bottom.
No job training.
No job satisfaction.
Zero support from management
Unfriendly staff
Prides itself on being a FTSE 100 company, could use some of it's profits to properly train all staff and create a better working environment.
The only good thing about working for Next is the end of your working day.
I've escaped - thank god.
No doubt there will be several replies to this review, they will probably be from Next management expected to reply to poor reviews.
Do not work for this company.
Work
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buchanan GalleriesJanuary 31, 2013
A typical day at Next, I would be tagging and hanging stock, also I would be doing replenishment with stock guns to see what was needing replaced on the shop floor. Once I had gone through the list and got all that was needed I would take them to the shop floor and put them out in the correct places. Other days I would have to assemble furniture like tables and chairs to be put out for display on the Home Department shop floor. While I was there I learned how the Next stockroom works, how fast and busy stockrooms have to be, also about tagging and hanging stock. I would say the most enjoyable part of the job for me was assembling the stock for the home department.
Worst place I have ever worked!
Sales Consultant - Ladies Wear (Former Employee) –  Exeter, PrincesshayAugust 2, 2012
I worked at Next for 2 months and it was the worst job I have ever had! I hope it wasn't Next as a company but this particular store was terrible! The staff have no respect for new people. They are not very friendly at all. You;'re just a number to them. I was put on fitting rooms all on my own, no help on a SALE day! I was put on shoes as well and this was with no training. Terrible place to work. I hope not all Next stores are like this.
Deceitful
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kettering, NorthantsJuly 25, 2014
Worked here for the Summer Sale. I'll keep this brief as my employment was brief. Basically I wouldn't have taken the job if I'd known it was only for one day, I specifically asked if there would be more shifts and was assured there was. There wasn't. Was told I would be paid for my induction. I have not been paid for my induction. Would I work for this company again? No.
Pros
can't think of any
Cons
pedantic
Poor Management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  LeedsNovember 20, 2013
Basically, don't expect your hard work to be valued as an employee at this company. The young staff are miserable and think their job is so hard and stressful, when it's pretty simple stuff to be honest. The work is fine. It's the attitude of the management that's the problem. No recognition for hard work is given. They question why productivity is low when they can't even supply the basics for a smooth running operation (ie. hangers!). Every week there is something we have run out of which slows us down in our work, usually due to some "cost-cutting" brainwave from Head Office which ultimately doesn't cut costs as it just reduces productivity. If you're happy just being a number and are happy to feel you don't matter, get a job here.
Pros
discount
Cons
poor management, lack of advancement
Awful place to work
Stockroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  ReadingJuly 9, 2013
I've been at next for 5 years now, to start with it was great. I had fun, had nice people to work with then suddenly everything changed for the worse.
Hours cut to a minimum, pay is awful, introducing more work in less hours.
Every month something changes which you have to adapt to where as before everything ran smoothly and quicker with better productivity.
All the decent people left when the changes started now stuck with school kids who work 4 hours a week so therefore don't care what they do
Management are awful, I've always done the same hours but now without telling you they change your shift for the next day, so you could not turn up on time etc if you don't check daily, which you will get the blame for
Please avoid working here.
Cons
people, hours, money, pretty much everything
I loved working with the sales reps
Customer Service Account Manger (Former Employee) –  Wabash, INDecember 23, 2013
I enjoyed the daily communication with the sales reps per email and phone. I was busy daily with making sure all the orders for each customer was uphold the specific regulations per each customer and had to give several updates daily.
Pros
talking with my reps and the busyness
Cons
i didnt like being confined to an office and desk
Staff very unfriendly treated like a slave
Sales executive (Current Employee) –  GloucesterApril 23, 2013
Iv worked in many places even been a manager myself, but iv never worked with such unfriendly people in my life. I'm on a 12 hour temporary contract and they have me in every Saturday , the team coaches are so rude when you ask for help, put it this way I'm looking for a new job.
Cons
short breaks, told when you can go, very bad pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next PLC. Our community is ready to answer.