Next PLC Employee Reviews

productive
Operator (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHAugust 22, 2017
great place to work. very friendly associates. They give the opportunity to learn different trades while your there. I really enjoyed the experience there.
Wonderful Place To establish Long Lasting Business Partners
Clothing Designer (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 26, 2017
I Really Enjoy working With Next , Setting up release drops for clothing , having launch party's , completing marketing goals for brands . The managers are really easy to work with and we all have the same goal
Pros
Great customer interaction
Cons
No health care
fun
Hoffman Oilfield Service (Former Employee) –  Chickasha, OKMarch 29, 2017
good money,didnt give enough hours to us hard workers. only about 40 a week. We need more than that to live. We are people too, just like you. One day it will get better.
Yard Person (Former Employee) –  Elmsall way west yorFebruary 14, 2017
Great job great people and good firm to work for great pay good discounts and fantastic bonus not always hard work but often demanding need to consider that where all equals high up or not
Pros
Good discounts
Don't bother!!!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  LincolnshireDecember 14, 2016
Terrible job, I stuck it for a few months!!! Good manager, awful assistant manager but I do think this was more to do with the pressure they were under themselves.
Always felt like I couldn't do anything right (everyone else said the same)
You'll be ok if your face fits or if you have a thick skin, otherwise don't bother.
If you have particular days where you can't work forget it, they'll put you in anyway.
The pettiness at my particular store was unbelievable, and I've heard the same from others, it's just an awful job culture and I always felt on edge.
I've spoken to several people since who have left and they were all so relieved to be out of it.
Pros
Staff discount
Wouldnt work there again
Next - Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon HullDecember 6, 2016
Next was my first job when i was at college than I continued to work for them on and the off for 5 years.

My first few years where fantastic i loved working for them staff and management was great and good work was praised.

Unfortunately after change of management my experience went downhill. I would end up been given the shifts than noone else wanted to do ALONE and expecting me to finish all the jobs within my hours when it was a Teams job. There was odd occasions i was asked by supervisors "what they should do" which i believed they should have already knew.

I than went on holiday and they rang me twice to see why i was not in when my holiday was clearly written in the book.
I was also not aloud time off when my grandad past away which lead me to calling in sick. I was than "dismissed".
Pros
Make new friends
Cons
Everything else
Dreadful place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  United KingdomOctober 23, 2016
I worked here for a very long time. I didn't get recognised for the hard work i was doing and the long hours. They only offer part time hour's but expect you to be available full time. That means you are not entitled to the holidays for the full time work you do or to have another job or study. The management have their favourites in the work place. If your lucky to be in that group, you will get higher positions & full time contracts. They have no consideration for everyday situation's eg family funeral's or if you have a child and they are poorly etc. You will get disiplined or even sacked for being honest about your situation with them. It is one rule if you don't fit in, but if you do fit in you get away with thing's. The breaks are ridiculous and your lucky if you get one. You have to remind manager's that you need a break too. At Christmas you don't get anytime off apart from Christmas Day, so from November to January holiday's are hard to get. You get no extra pay for working bank holidays or boxing day or any other special day.
Pros
Discount & making long term friendships.
Cons
Unreasonable hours, poor management, christmas sale's, negative behaviour toward's you if you don't fit in with the clicky group's & management.
professional
Technician (Former Employee) –  Meridian, MSOctober 19, 2016
meeting customers explain what kind of service i am going to install in their home installing equipment reviewing the work ive done to the customer
Very bad company to work with
Interviewed for sales consultant (Former Employee) –  Watford City, NDDecember 9, 2015
Next called me 5 times for team assessment but did not give me the job. During team assessment, they asked me to work on the shop floor for 4 hours and did not pay me anything. They want people to work for free during team assessment. THEY DO NOT HIRE PEOPLE THEY ARE USING THEM FOR THEIR OWN BENEFIT.
Not a good company to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  SheffieldOctober 15, 2015
They hire Christmas temps and give them little to no training leaving you in the lurch. There aren't enough staff so you're expected to do 3 peoples jobs at once. Managers are rude and unhelpful. The rota management is awful. Expect to be put on the rota multiple times without even being asked if you're available to work. When you have a genuine reason for not being able to work on that day you get told off. Managers are constantly watching you and criticising your work while they do nothing but stand around talking. 8 hours+ on your feet and you only get a short break. The only thing I enjoyed was interacting with the customers. Overall I would not recommend working for this company. It's not worth it for the experience you're put through.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Short breaks, Hardly any training, Long hours etc
Amazing!
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  FifeAugust 19, 2015
I was an xmas temp and it was my very first job, i feel as though all the bad reviews must be from very poor managed shops unlike the one i work in? It was my first job and I couldn't of been any happier with it! They decided to keep me on after xmas which was great and all the colleagues and managers are very helpful if you dont understand or are needing help. The breaks are kind of short but it goes quickly and the shift marketplace is also really good if you want time off or to offer your shift. great experience
Pros
discount, marketplace, extra hours
Cons
hard work, rate of pay
Sincerely a horrid place to work
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Kirkcaldy retail park, FifeJuly 26, 2015
I'll begin with the positive aspects of working here due to there being so few...

1. The staff (with the exception of the managers) were amazing to work with, made some friends for life
2. Great staff discount & benefits including 75% off for uniform
3. 28 days per year holiday

Bad points..

1. The managers were absolutely disgraceful, completely big-headed with power you'd think they were royalty (far from it). To begin with they constantly undermine you - always telling you your faults as opposed to the good you do. Every day I would get told off for something I was completely doing correctly & told about 10 times a day to smile at customers (which I always have done) and always told to use my initiative (which is pretty easy considering it's the easiest job in the world). They always treat you like you're an idiot & talk down to you which I find did not increase staff morale. I worked in the children's department and my manager was literally the most unhinged woman I've ever met in my life - how she even got a job as a manager I will never know.

2. No training. When I first began working for Next, I was thrown in at the deep end and within an hour of working I was told to work the till and was barely told what to do, also received a few rows due to my lack of know-how. Completely ridiculous if you ask me.

3. Short breaks for such long hours and whenever you tell your manager your going on your break - there's daggers, sighing and contemplating how to prevent you getting to go on your break.

4. Annoying the customers. Literally every day there is a
  more... 'staff meeting' at the front door before opening and we are told to give exceptional service every day, to smile at customers & approach them - every single one. Imagine walking into a store and having about 20-30 employees working that day, from department to department having many of them greet & ask you if you're okay/if you need help. I doubt anyone goes shopping to be hounded by 20/30 people in a store - it's so stupid!

Overall, i do not recommend working here due to the stupidity of managers especially in my department. Being treated like a child all the time is definitely a reason to leave a company, and one to never attempt at a job. Yes, get a job here if you are mentally deranged and like being treated like a 10 year old... Or if you're really desperate.

Never again.
Pros
Holidays, uniform, discount
Cons
Short breaks, horrible managers, little to no training, long hours, repetitive tasks, told off at least 5 times per day
A Couple of Red Flags
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bury St EdmundsJuly 21, 2015
I worked at Next a while back, but having a friend work for them this Summer Sale with the same kind of issues I had a few years ago I felt like writing this. I'd like to point out some Red flags that Next flew up when I worked there. Now I can recognise them and advise anyone working at any job if these things come up, you may not want to work in that place long.

- Last minute shifts without direct contact, and disciplinary action if missed. Next doesn't phone you for any shift changes, you have to check the online shifts daily for changes. My first warning came from missing a shift that had appeared after the working day started, with no phone call to notify me. Never work in a place that does not directly contact you for last minute shift changes.

-Sales Days. Missing Christmas eve/boxing day shifts will get you fired. I mention this as a red flag because there's no positive incentive to work then (higher rate of pay) only threats. Any company that would rather threaten/fire someone, completely jeopardise their livelihood because they want to spend the holidays with their family should be avoided.

- Little to no training, and disciplinary action put against you for lack of training. The first few shifts I was put on Front Cover which meant I basically did nothing but say hello to customers and re tidy my "zone" for hours. In later shifts I was suddenly put on tills without training. When I asked the manager for help, instead of getting training I was reprimanded for "not knowing" and put back on front cover. A workplace that frequently blames you for the mistakes
  more... of management, or simply being told off for doing exactly what you were told to do (with no apologises when they find out you were doing so), should be avoided.

- Bag checks. Next tends to have terrible security, and takes that out on the employees. If a company does not trust any of its employees to not steal merchandise, there's something wrong there.

- No talking rules. Being reprimanded for talking to your colleagues even when the stores almost empty just makes for a sad and lonely working environment for no reason what so ever.

- No lunch provided, generally not a red flag and only an issue here is because the breaks you are given are so short (15 minutes a peice) its impossible to actually go somewhere outside of the building to eat, so you just don't. If you try you'll end up being very stressed in a time that's supposed to be your break.If a workplace makes you stressed out during your BREAK, stay clear.

-Poor Pay. When you work all shift surrounded by clothes that you cannot afford because they pay you so little. its' very depressing having a 7 hour shift dealing with all of the above, equate to a jacket.
Pros
Uniform Allowence
Cons
Everything else
No Training and poor management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shoreham by Sea, ENGMay 28, 2015
I was told nothing before my first day, only a start time. When I arrived nobody was expecting me nor was I on any system to log my hours. I wasn't told where to go or what to do so for my first few shifts I would just walk around the store as if I were a customer. The management was awful, nobody cares about who you are, they only care about money. I was told to tidy a small section of the store. When I was done I should start again. I did this for 6 hour shifts continuously for about 5 weeks. I was given no training, no till experience, no knowledge of anything retail related. The only thing I learnt was how to put clothes in size order (and that was only because I wanted to waste time rather than stand around doing nothing). I was yelled out by the management team for not being till trained, I was even called a liar by one lady. After 3 months I was asked my name for the first time by a co-worker. Christmas times are the worse. 1am finishes on Christmas day and 5.30am starts the next day aren't the start of it. Being made to work non stop for 8 hour shifts. Which brings me on to my next point - lunch. Next don't give you lunch. I never once had a break in my entire time there. They didn't schedule one in, and when you go to have lunch the management don't allow you to because its not on the system. I have worked 8/9 hour days without being able to even have a drink.
I have honestly never experienced somewhere so poor and so badly managed. When I left nobody said goodbye and it was like I never had worked there, I haven't heard from them since. If you want to work somewhere
  more... where you are treated like a robot, and given no training or guidance then this is the place for you.  less
Pros
Co-workers, being able to put it on my CV
Cons
No training, no breaks, terrible wage, no direction or leadership
Horrendous disrespect for staff and a complete false appearance
Temporary assistant (Former Employee) –  DundeeApril 13, 2015
I worked as a temp for the sale at the Dundee Home store and although management were all smiles and full of the expected positive nonsense at the start that quickly faded. Communication was non existent and no training was provided: I was put in the not too fun position of working the till on sales day with no prior experience or training. When your contract is over- which is never inclined by management, the computer screen tells you on the day, no thanks for your effort or a hint of respect to tell you face to face.

The wage is also very low for the experience you're put through.

I would strongly advise everyone to steer clear of this company despite its popular image.
Pros
£10 gift card for completing the 3 hour interview
Cons
short shifts, low wage, no communication, lies and falseness
great place to work , very challenging, great people
Store Manager/District Manager (Former Employee) –  CorkFebruary 26, 2015
The best part of working each day was with working with my team of excellent managers and committed staff. Without a strong team under your leadership, it is very difficult to manage such a large store productively and efficiently. What you get out of people, is reflective of what you put in.
Pros
great benefits, holiday pay, share options
Cons
working christmas
I'd pay people not to work there
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  County DurhamFebruary 2, 2015
I worked for NEXT for 3years and began when I was 16/17. I had absolutely no training and took it upon myself to learn how to do things because nobody else helped. I think I was able to go on a training programme once a week but had no personal help. I did enjoy my first 1 and a half years there as with a lovely manager and nice staff everything was okay. But the last year or so it went down hill. They would give people who had been there 5minutes full-time jobs over people who had more experience and had been there longer. There was a lot of bitchiness and if you werent in the right clique then nobody liked you.
Pros
Made lots of good friends, customer experience bonus, discount
Cons
Bad management, sly staff, poor break times and length, little training, no progression, no fairness, rude people
Great workplace.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool AintreeJanuary 14, 2015
I worked previously for Next before I left for a full time job, however, after returning to work for Next, I instantly realised I'd made a huge mistake in leaving the first time. The training, colleagues and management at the store are second to none. Approachable friendly, helpful and empathetic are just a few words I can describe. Next work around my college days and I'm able to pick up extra shifts when available for an added boost to my wage. They have incentives which increase your wage. The most enjoyable part of my job is the customers; no day is the same and working on different departments is a learning curve as childrenswear, menswear and womenswear all operate differently but to the same work ethos. I highly recommend if you're looking for a part time job, or even if it's a first job. You get all the training you need, and reviews to see how you're managing and the management offer guidance where you feel is needed to build your confidence.
Pros
Everything.
Load of lies
Sales team (Current Employee) –  CheshireJanuary 11, 2015
All the company is bothered about is their profits, the couldn't care one bit about your wellbeing or if you needed help with the job. Poor pay for what you do. You get messed around with constantly. Rediculous hours ranging from 1 hour to 12 hours. The only training I ever got was on a "learning" portal which lasted five minutes and that was it. Basically self tought myself how to use all the tills ect. Wouldn't recommend to anybody!
Sales assitant (Former Employee) –  PlymouthJanuary 5, 2015
I was a temp for christmas and my co-workers were great, I was shown how to do everything and the atmosphere was the right balance between productive and relaxed. It was frustrating to only work two shifts, and as there are so many, it is difficult to 'stand out', but whilst there was always something to do and I was exhausted by the end of it, the job was reasonably enjoyable.As a first job it was great for experience and money so would recomend.
Pros
Great co-workers, well guided, decent pay
Cons
V. short temp contract, tiring, hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next PLC. Our community is ready to answer.