Next Step Living

Next Step Living Employer Reviews

Sold the Dream/Bought a Lemon
Sales (Current Employee), BostonJune 21, 2014
Cons: see above
Biggest mistake of my life, love the concept, the customers, and coworkers.
Management is horrible and don't even try going to HR they laugh at you.
If you have a disability don't apply offices are on the second floor and they have NO elevator, and if your GAY they'll make your life a living Nightmare til you vacate they lie about the salary telling – more... you you'll make xyz then once onboard they explain it's really abc. Stay clear away unless your unemployment is about to run out – less
Great Mission, Poor Execution
Coordinator (Current Employee), BostonMay 6, 2014
Pros: high energy workplace, great overall mission and business idea
Cons: expensive benefits, absurd goals, poor management and communication
One of a kind company with great mission on how to make green energy an easier path for people to take. Incredibly fast paced constantly changing work environment filled with young people.

That being said, they have a serious lack of poor oversight, management and communication between departments and among all levels of the company. Not much room – more... to grow and develop as everyone is incredibly overwhelmed by their workload, competition for postitions within is fierce. They tend to hire/promote based on ability to do a job, not based on whether that person may be a good fit for management, etc.

Goals by set by upper management are never achievable and limited resources are given to make up the difference.

There is no or very limited accountability for unprofessional behavior and the turnover rate for employees is exceptionally high. They tend to attract top talent, take them for granted, and burn out those employees and then replace them.

Enjoyable part of job is working with young energetic group of peers. Hardest part of job is working around the clock and reporting to people who are to inexperienced to properly manage.

Limited on the job training, constantly moving goals and targets and limited communication. – less
Young Fun Crowd
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 9, 2014
Though the office culture is young and fun it was at times hard to enjoy my time here because:
- the serious lack of communication within the company
- employees were consistently late and never reprimanded
- transferring calls to other departments were a challenge because no one wanted to take the calls
It flows downhill.
Home Energy Advisor (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 5, 2013
Pros: the end goal of the work is well intentioned
Cons: not all of the people here are contributing in a useful way. employee turnover is high, and pay is low. not a place to build a career.
Typical day at work includes 2-3 site visits to residential customers. There we conduct combustion safety testing and examine the building shell for possible improvements. Insulation may be simple but working with the varieties of structures is not always so. Assignment of leads occurs well after hours, the expectation is that you will log in at 9 pm – more... to receive the next day's assignment. Long days are the norm for field staff.

I learned about building science and how heat and moisture moves within a building. I also learned about how NSL is very much a two-tier company with a large pool of high-turnover auditors, and an 'elite' group of b-school grads and consulting dropouts who think their spreadsheets hold all the answers. – less
Meeting challenges of troubled female adolescents
Founder/Director/Owner (Former Employee), Celina, TXJuly 29, 2013
Pros: founded the first of it's kind in the country
Cons: client payments
Re-establishing healthy relationships for client with family, school, education, employment, social, etc.
Home Energy Efficiency new business development and energy assesments
Outreach Program Manager (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: doing good things for the environment and economy
Cons: rapid growth of company presented many challenges with implementations of systems.
I started at Next Step Living over 3 years ago and worked there until 2/19/13. I started doing home energy assessments, focusing primarily on the Mass Save program and was promoted in 7/12 to the Outreach dept. I managed a group of 6 people promoting our company's services in the south shore region of MA. The company has grown from 70 to 450 employees – more... since I started. I enjoyed the people I worked with and the people we served on a daily basis. – less
typical day at work
Outreach Event Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MANovember 5, 2012
Pros: good pay, good commissions.
Cons: negative prospects.
A typical day in my job start mostly going to a new places, them meeting new people and giving promotion to Home Energy Efficiency. My manager is a good person always understand problems that come up during an event and give solution to it. My co-workers are awesome. the hardest part of the job is the people who believe that knows everything, and do – more... not take advantage of awesome products. – less
great place to work
Weatherization and Insulation Technician (Current Employee), Boston, MAJuly 22, 2012
A typical day is getting your supplies and equipment ready for the job of that day. We learn about the building envelopes from working on the exterior walls, attics and basements.
Loved my job description disliked the treatment I received
LOGISTICS COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Boston, MAMay 22, 2012
Pros: loved my job description
Cons: no benifits, no value, not fair
I love the job that I had within this company but did not like the treatment they gave me while I worked so hard for them during my pregnancy! I was a valuable employee that never showed up late, never called out, and always did all of my work with time in advance leaving me with free time to get other work done, that they could not finish themselves.