Next Step Living Employee Reviews

was great at first
Team Lead/Trainer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 5, 2016
The company went bankrupt after state policy changes and several bad business decisions. It was a green energy canvassing operation. Before CT changed the guidelines for its HES program business was booming. Then everything went downhill fast.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
long hours and unpredictable commission
Miss working in this environment.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 16, 2016
Working here was great and the environment was something I will forever miss. When I first started working here they had set up a mentor for me and really helped me feel comfortable. I would recommend anyone to work here.
Closed
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 27, 2016
Company closed, no longer employing anyone. look else where as you can not depend on this company. No one enjoyed this space while it was open anyways.
Went door to door marketing solar and green energy products
Neighborhood Solar Outreach Representative (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 22, 2016
I enjoyed learning the science behind these technologies. I was exposed to their potential benefits and the process necessary to decide if they would be more or less efficient for a homeowner.

The door to door aspect of the position was challenging and rewarding. My experience with homeowners definitely helped with my ability to do client-facing work. I am not a natural salesman but I believed that this position helped me to develop this skillset.
Np opportunity for advancement
FT Outreach Team Lead/Event Rep (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 19, 2016
Easy job, no room to grow in company.
Lots of traveling, paid for mileage.
Fun employees.
Management lies to incentivize you to work harder. They will dangle things in front of you and pull it out one you have been used.
good place to work if you want to make an impact on energy future
Principal Data Scentist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 18, 2015
Next Step Living is committed to minimize green house emissions and at the same time improve quality of housing by focusing on energy conservation measures (insulation, heat pumps, solar panels, etc.). Typical day included for me a lot of model development, data gathering and manipulation, occasional meetings to determine what kind of models should be developed and how to make results easily accessible to the end users. I learned a lot about variety of existing data sources about households (houses and people) and how to combine them with in-house historical data to best match services offered by NSL with households needs. Management did good job in defining needs, providing necessary resources and getting out of the way. The most enjoyable part of the work was ability to learn about completely new for me data spaces and a domains (e.g. GIS)
Pros
important mission, short meetings
Cons
poor benefits, noisy office space
Overworked,well payed
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 12, 2016
overworked,well payed.
Lower management was good
upper management seemed to be lost at all times
company eventually filed for bankruptcy
Pros
pay
Cons
hours
Team Lead
Outreach Sales Representative (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 10, 2014
Facilitate community and private outreach events to promote energy efficient product solutions
Identify potential customers through face-to-face, telephone, and e-mail communication
Educate clients on the benefits of home energy conservation and solar energy capabilities
Prepare internal reports and external marketing pitches to expand business growth
Build and maintain business partnerships with local establishments
Prepare periodic updates to management on status of current sales leads
Employ innovative technologies to promote product results
Research prospective customer’s residential qualifications to determine product usage and compatibility
Great place to start your career
Accounts Payable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 12, 2016
I enjoyed working at NSL. Helping people was truly gratifying. Management was great. Co workers were great. Some parts were hard some parts were easy. It was a new company so there was minor disfunction.
Great co-workers poor management
Customer Service Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 21, 2015
A great culture to work but poorly managed with the possibility of being laid off. Expect a lot of work out of one person with little compensation to complete what is expected. When problems do arrise there are limited to no resources available to olve these issues. Poor managers who were not ready to manage and promoted too quickly.
Wonderful company
Invoicing Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 17, 2016
This company was absolutely wonderful to work for and with. The employees are some of the best that I have worked with, as well as the vendors and companies that I have been affiliated with.

At the beginning of the year, there were some changes to add a fun zone to the other side of the building, making the environment more lively. Overall, it will be a company that will be missed by everyone.
Fun, dynamic workplace. Very ambitious and motivated, but lacking in an overall long term strategy/business model
Outreach Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 15, 2016
Next Step Living was a fun place to work, with a great team, and a great overall office dynamic. The outreach department would attend various institutional as well as community events each week and would be responsible for generating leads. Each person on the outreach staff had a stake in team success, and with very few exceptions people were happy and motivated each day they came into work.
As a team lead I was able to further develop my interpersonal skills beyond pleasantries and the sharing of good news. Finding the ability to have some tough conversations without demoralizing or upsetting those who were under my leadership is something that I highly value.
I also learned how fun/interesting working with the public can be. Working with a wide range of people, communities, and backgrounds has provided me with a foundation from which I can continue to build.
Ultimately Next Step Living was able to provide me with an opportunity to hone my skills and come to a better understanding of the professional world as a whole. I am highly motivated to make a positive impact at my next place of business, and much of that attitude and approach I can credit to the experiences I had while with NSL.
Sold the Dream/Bought a Lemon
Sales (Current Employee) –  BostonJune 21, 2014
Biggest mistake of my life, love the concept, the customers, and coworkers.
Management is horrible and don't even try going to HR they laugh at you.
If you have a disability don't apply offices are on the second floor and they have NO elevator, and if your GAY they'll make your life a living Nightmare til you vacate they lie about the salary telling you you'll make xyz then once onboard they explain it's really abc. Stay clear away unless your unemployment is about to run out
Pros
Cons
See above
Next Step Living
Solar Energy Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 30, 2015
Good work environment that is focused on employee benefits. Plenty of perks from the company and a friendly staff. I would recommend working for this company if it were hiring.
Pros
Lunch provided at times and many perks associated with good job performance
Cons
Staff had decreased recently and will continue with new regulations from the state of CT
Interesting and environmentally changing
Outreach Event Representative (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 6, 2015
I enjoyed working for Next Step Living. I learned a lot about how to make big impacts on changing the environment such as preventing carbon emissions by helping people change their energy usage to solar. It was enjoyable to work at different events and parties throughout Connecticut while trying to do something good for the environment. The salary was good, I received a decent amount of money per hour. My co-workers were intelligent and willing to help me succeed as an outreach event representative. The hardest part of the job was trying to get customers at different events to listen to what I had to say about the company. Many people were unwilling to listen to the benefits of solar and at times were uninterested in signing up for home energy solutions visits.
Pros
Learning about helping the environment, meeting new people, good wages.
Cons
Stopping people to listen to explanations about products
Great Company to Grow in
Project Manager, Service Provider Operations (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 13, 2015
Great Place to work after college, you have the ability to make an impact and have your thoughts and ideas taken seriously from the start.
Pros
Great Management Team, Work life balence
Quickly expanding company
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 17, 2016
Very flexible, fast paced company. Equal opportunity for all employees in every department. They are willing to give everyone a chance to expand and explore their skills.
Very Productive
DMS Advisor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTApril 30, 2015
Its was a very fun and exciting environment. Awesome career advancement with a constant drive to further educate. Great people, great environment.
Pros
Time Management
Cons
A lot of driving and time wasted
Independent, on field
Outreach Representative (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 7, 2014
A few hour shifts at events. Each day is different. Management sends you a calendar of events for you to attend each week. You work alone most of the time. You sometimes have to drive far out for an event. Pick up supplies at the office location whenever you run out. The hardest part is having people be receptive towards you and give them your time to talk to them. It's very rewarding when you sign someone up because you make commission off of it but also knowing you helped another family save energy to save the environment.
Pros
Work independently, flexible schedule, hourly or commission
Cons
Driving far, non receptive people
It flows downhill.
Home Energy Advisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 5, 2013
Typical day at work includes 2-3 site visits to residential customers. There we conduct combustion safety testing and examine the building shell for possible improvements. Insulation may be simple but working with the varieties of structures is not always so. Assignment of leads occurs well after hours, the expectation is that you will log in at 9 pm to receive the next day's assignment. Long days are the norm for field staff.

I learned about building science and how heat and moisture moves within a building. I also learned about how NSL is very much a two-tier company with a large pool of high-turnover auditors, and an 'elite' group of b-school grads and consulting dropouts who think their spreadsheets hold all the answers.
Pros
The end goal of the work is well intentioned
Cons
Not all of the people here are contributing in a useful way. Employee turnover is high, and pay is low. Not a place to build a career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next Step Living. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval