Next Step Living

Next Step Living Employee Reviews

Wonderful staff and administrators.
Neighborhood Marketing Representative (Current Employee), Boston, MAJuly 12, 2015
We'd meet at the office for training (about 1-2 hours) then we'd he'd out to turf where we'd canvass the area to provide customers with the availability of no cost no obligation energy assessments.
Opportunity to manage yourself
Home Energy Advisor (Current Employee), Boston, MAJune 17, 2015
Pros: freedom to manage your own time
Cons: limited interaction with peers
Business to customer consulting based sales. Personally guiding end-users from idea forming and recommendation to installation of various residential energy efficient technologies (Rooftop Solar, Community Solar, Windows, HVAC, DMS, Insulation and Air Sealing).
Interesting and environmentally changing
Outreach Event Representative (Former Employee), New Haven, CTMay 6, 2015
Pros: Learning about helping the environment, meeting new people, good wages.
Cons: Stopping people to listen to explanations about products
I enjoyed working for Next Step Living. I learned a lot about how to make big impacts on changing the environment such as preventing carbon emissions by helping people change their energy usage to solar. It was enjoyable to work at different events and parties throughout Connecticut while trying to do something good for the environment. The salary was good, I received a decent amount of money per hour. My co-workers were intelligent and willing to help me succeed as an outreach event representative. The hardest part of the job was trying to get customers at different events to listen to what I had to say about the company. Many people were unwilling to listen to the benefits of solar and at times were uninterested in signing up for home energy solutions visits.
Very Productive
DMS Advisor (Former Employee), New Haven, CTApril 30, 2015
Pros: Time Management
Cons: A lot of driving and time wasted
Its was a very fun and exciting environment. Awesome career advancement with a constant drive to further educate. Great people, great environment.
good place to work if you want to make an impact on energy future
Principal Data Scentist (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 18, 2015
Pros: important mission, short meetings
Cons: poor benefits, noisy office space
Next Step Living is committed to minimize green house emissions and at the same time improve quality of housing by focusing on energy conservation measures (insulation, heat pumps, solar panels, etc.). Typical day included for me a lot of model development, data gathering and manipulation, occasional meetings to determine what kind of models should be developed and how to make results easily accessible to the end users. I learned a lot about variety of existing data sources about households (houses and people) and how to combine them with in-house historical data to best match services offered by NSL with households needs. Management did good job in defining needs, providing necessary resources and getting out of the way. The most enjoyable part of the work was ability to learn about completely new for me data spaces and a domains (e.g. GIS)
Great Company to Grow in
Project Manager, Service Provider Operations (Current Employee), Boston, MAApril 13, 2015
Pros: Great Management Team, Work life balence
Cons: none
Great Place to work after college, you have the ability to make an impact and have your thoughts and ideas taken seriously from the start.
Great to employees
Production Manager (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: not micro managed
Cons: not much support
Great company to work for. Not micro managed. Visit many job sites daily. Doing reports at the end of the day is sometimes difficult with the amount of hours worked
Greentech company with blazing fast pace
Home Energy Advisor (Former Employee), South Boston, MAJanuary 23, 2015
Perhaps too fast... the company is growing faster than their pants will fit. Great mission, dedicated people, but turnover and burnout is a problem and loss of experience thusly. Individual growth opportunities not defined well.
Team Lead
Outreach Sales Representative (Consultant) (Former Employee), New Haven, CTDecember 10, 2014
Facilitate community and private outreach events to promote energy efficient product solutions
Identify potential customers through face-to-face, telephone, and e-mail communication
Educate clients on the benefits of home energy conservation and solar energy capabilities
Prepare internal reports and external marketing pitches to expand business growth
Build and maintain business partnerships with local establishments
Prepare periodic updates to management on status of current sales leads
Employ innovative technologies to promote product results
Research prospective customer’s residential qualifications to determine product usage and compatibility
Good Company
Senior Solar Rating Analyst (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 2, 2014
Next Step living is a good company to work for with a friendly atmosphere and with plenty of career paths to follow within the company.
Great Opportunity
Outreach Event Rep Manager (Current Employee), Boston, MANovember 22, 2014
They are well respected in the industry and grow very fast. Gives solid foundation and has strong support base.
Our customers deserve the best
Account Manager (Current Employee), Boston, MAOctober 12, 2014
The job has changed a lot from the culture initially found. Because we offer more, our customers expect more from us. Only you as their account manager, can really provide the sort of service that customers deserve.
Independent, on field
Outreach Representative (Current Employee), New Haven, CTAugust 7, 2014
Pros: work independently, flexible schedule, hourly or commission
Cons: driving far, non receptive people
A few hour shifts at events. Each day is different. Management sends you a calendar of events for you to attend each week. You work alone most of the time. You sometimes have to drive far out for an event. Pick up supplies at the office location whenever you run out. The hardest part is having people be receptive towards you and give them your time to talk to them. It's very rewarding when you sign someone up because you make commission off of it but also knowing you helped another family save energy to save the environment.
Sold the Dream/Bought a Lemon
Sales (Current Employee), BostonJune 21, 2014
Cons: see above
Biggest mistake of my life, love the concept, the customers, and coworkers.
Management is horrible and don't even try going to HR they laugh at you.
If you have a disability don't apply offices are on the second floor and they have NO elevator, and if your GAY they'll make your life a living Nightmare til you vacate they lie about the salary telling you you'll make xyz then once onboard they explain it's really abc. Stay clear away unless your unemployment is about to run out
Great Mission, Poor Execution
Coordinator (Current Employee), BostonMay 6, 2014
Pros: high energy workplace, great overall mission and business idea
Cons: expensive benefits, absurd goals, poor management and communication
One of a kind company with great mission on how to make green energy an easier path for people to take. Incredibly fast paced constantly changing work environment filled with young people.

That being said, they have a serious lack of poor oversight, management and communication between departments and among all levels of the company. Not much room to grow and develop as everyone is incredibly overwhelmed by their workload, competition for postitions within is fierce. They tend to hire/promote based on ability to do a job, not based on whether that person may be a good fit for management, etc. – more...

Goals by set by upper management are never achievable and limited resources are given to make up the difference.

There is no or very limited accountability for unprofessional behavior and the turnover rate for employees is exceptionally high. They tend to attract top talent, take them for granted, and burn out those employees and then replace them.

Enjoyable part of job is working with young energetic group of peers. Hardest part of job is working around the clock and reporting to people who are to inexperienced to properly manage.

Limited on the job training, constantly moving goals and targets and limited communication. – less
Young Fun Crowd
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 9, 2014
Though the office culture is young and fun it was at times hard to enjoy my time here because:
- the serious lack of communication within the company
- employees were consistently late and never reprimanded
- transferring calls to other departments were a challenge because no one wanted to take the calls
It flows downhill.
Home Energy Advisor (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 5, 2013
Pros: the end goal of the work is well intentioned
Cons: not all of the people here are contributing in a useful way. employee turnover is high, and pay is low. not a place to build a career.
Typical day at work includes 2-3 site visits to residential customers. There we conduct combustion safety testing and examine the building shell for possible improvements. Insulation may be simple but working with the varieties of structures is not always so. Assignment of leads occurs well after hours, the expectation is that you will log in at 9 pm to receive the next day's assignment. Long days are the norm for field staff.

I learned about building science and how heat and moisture moves within a building. I also learned about how NSL is very much a two-tier company with a large pool of high-turnover auditors, and an 'elite' group of b-school grads and consulting dropouts who think their spreadsheets hold all the answers.
Meeting challenges of troubled female adolescents
Founder/Director/Owner (Former Employee), Celina, TXJuly 29, 2013
Pros: founded the first of it's kind in the country
Cons: client payments
Re-establishing healthy relationships for client with family, school, education, employment, social, etc.
Home Energy Efficiency new business development and energy assesments
Outreach Program Manager (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: doing good things for the environment and economy
Cons: rapid growth of company presented many challenges with implementations of systems.
I started at Next Step Living over 3 years ago and worked there until 2/19/13. I started doing home energy assessments, focusing primarily on the Mass Save program and was promoted in 7/12 to the Outreach dept. I managed a group of 6 people promoting our company's services in the south shore region of MA. The company has grown from 70 to 450 employees since I started. I enjoyed the people I worked with and the people we served on a daily basis.
typical day at work
Outreach Event Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MANovember 5, 2012
Pros: good pay, good commissions.
Cons: negative prospects.
A typical day in my job start mostly going to a new places, them meeting new people and giving promotion to Home Energy Efficiency. My manager is a good person always understand problems that come up during an event and give solution to it. My co-workers are awesome. the hardest part of the job is the people who believe that knows everything, and do not take advantage of awesome products.

Next Step Living Salaries