Nexteer Automotive Employee Reviews

Very Stable
Operator (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJanuary 4, 2016
Learn skills and how to work with others.
Learning to take pride in one's work
Able to make a decent wage and have benefits
Overall Good
Assembly Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIOctober 31, 2015
Good place to work, secure job. If you put the time in, you can advance. Good management from what I experienced. Be prepared to put time in, in order to get to days.
Production
Assembly/Production (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIOctober 29, 2015
The Jobs are physically demanding and Management is diligently set on the "numbers". Seniority Employees want to be in control as a Coordinator or Supervisor role. Antique machines make it very hard to process a sufficient number of parts daily. However, on a really good day it has been done. The pay could be better, since other similar businesses pay nearly double. The good thing is weekly pay with overtime. Most plants are mandated in critical status with an unknown end date. If you have children, this job will tie up most of your life.
Pros
Overtime, Decent paychecks
Cons
Short monitored breaks, no benefits, most plants in emergency status, rude employees
good management
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIOctober 22, 2015
Great place to work. This industry offers room for growth and has been formulating plans to make big advancements in the company with a bright future in store.
Good Environment; But dead-end position
Admin (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIOctober 18, 2015
Friendly, smart and knowledgeable staff. Most admin positions are contract-only, and never have opportunities for wage increases or to transition to actual Nexteer employment. Makes contract employees feel unimportant and tired of working so hard for so little appreciation.
Pros
flexibility in schedule
Cons
contract positions are dead-end jobs
Get Ready to Have No Life
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIOctober 5, 2015
The company depends largely on overtime to maintain status quo. Several of the plants are on 'emergency status' or critical status', meaning that all employees are to work 7 days - 9 to 12 hours a day. The customer sets up offices inside the plants to monitor activity because Nexteer struggles to comply with meeting schedules and quality. Machinery is antiquated and parts are obsolete. They also struggle with assigning their resources up front of projects - hence the overtime to compensate at the last minute.
Pros
The compensation is good on average.
Cons
Too many hours and very unorganized.
Working for Nexteer Automotive, as an intern, I learned many valuable skills that expanded my knowledge of manufacturing.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MISeptember 29, 2015
A typical work day started between 6 am and 7 am. I worked with my supervisor, a newly hired manufacturing engineer, an engineering co-op, and another intern. At the beginning of the day we would discuss what tasks needed to be completed or started. From there, depending on the day, I could be designing a new fixture for production use or turning Sunsteer components on one of the CNC lathes. Although the majority of the summer I was responsible for machining related projects, which was a review of my associate's degree, I still learned a lot. Working at Nexteer Automotive I learned how to use MasterCAM, Fanuc Controllers, Mazatrol, expanded my CNC knowledge, and much more. One thing that I was disappointed with my internship is that I didn't get much engineering experience on the floor. Other than that my co-workers were very easy to get along with.
very productive workplace
Assembly line worker (Former Employee) –  Buena Vista, MichiganSeptember 1, 2015
Good Workplace overall, great with overtime, and also fun work atmosphere. Learned how to make Ford 2015 Powersteering Motors, also learned how to use machinery to make motors.
Great culture and people, just not the right position for me
Manufacturing Engineering Co-Op Student (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIAugust 25, 2015
Nexteer has a great culture and atmosphere. I had the chance to work with some great people and learn a lot of the behind the scene work in mass manufacturing.
Pros
Great co-workers, fun team building activities like golf outings
Cons
Not an intriguing position
sometimes a fun place to work
Assembly Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIAugust 23, 2015
i liked working for nexteer automotive. when i worked there they had good advancement opportunities. i worked with different people in different departments. some of the management were easy to get along with and some were just intolerable. i enjoyed my time there.
Great atmosphere
Cost Implementation Leader (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 29, 2015
I have worked in Nexteer offices for over 10 years. The atmosphere has been very enjoyable. I have held positions in manufacturing offices and the headquarters office.
Nexteer Automotive
Cooperative Education Student (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 28, 2015
Nexteer Automotive is a wonderful place to work. The atmosphere and employees make the job 100x better. The company runs like a family. Work is a 9-5 job were we come in and work to get that days task in.
Semi stable but nowhere to go
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 21, 2015
As a contract employee and you can see the writing on the wall that there is nowhere to go. I know of several that had a 4 year degree that could not get hired in for a salary position. We do have a good amount of flexibility in our work schedule. A long with direct management that is easy to work with, It is the upper upper management that needs to realize improvements need to be made. At the end of the day it pays the bills, but there are better options if you are a good worker and look for them.
Pros
Steady job, Ok pay, some flexibility
Cons
Upper management needs to get with the program, contract position, healthcare not great
Good environment
CAD/Designer (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIMay 11, 2015
Good place to work with good people but pay could be better to compare to other places of employment with similar jobs. Not a bad place to work but retaining good people can be a problem.
Great pay,Bad work culture
Operator (Former Employee) –  Saginaw,MichiganApril 6, 2015
Machine shop.Depending on where you are you will get trained properly but someplaces rushed and not trained correctly so being fast on your feet is a must have in certain departments. Job environment is very down and out and sucks the life out of you at times. Great money but poorly managed in my honest opinion. Some will love and some will hate it,depends on the person. That's my honest opinion.
Pros
Payrate, ability to moveup, Abundant Overtime possibilities
Cons
work environment, health hazards, management
A well-balanced company making upward strides.
Electromagnetic Compatibility Design Co-op (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIApril 6, 2015
Nexteer Automotive is an outstanding success story in the wake of the recent financial crisis. After GM's spinoff and sale to Pacific Century Motors, and under new leadership, Nexteer has transitioned from a focus on metalworking to electronics development. As one of the foremost automotive steering companies in the world, Nexteer now focuses on top-notch electronic power steering systems-- this shift is ingrained in the culture of the countless engineers who work to make the company an innovative and technologically superior model.

Management is competent and communication is streamlined. Interaction is less linear and travels via multiple channels, allowing for open dialogue between various departments and also between department heads and lower-level employees. Because of this, a culture of equality and growth is very present and there's a real sense of the possibilities of upward mobility.
Fast moving
Installation of steering columns for GM trucks (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIApril 3, 2015
I work on both a fast moving line, and my overtime i work in a cell running a machine. the management is pretty cool, i just havent been hired in yet, received my raise or benefits
Pros
a decent paycheck
Cons
no healthcare, or benefits
no advancement or raises
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIFebruary 16, 2015
I've been here almost 5 years and have only had 2 raises that didn't even add up to a dollar more. Cut bonuses. Moving people around too often and having bosses run multiple departments. Constantly hearing how bad the site is doing and how we need more production. Union ignores issues. Smelly, dirty, exhausting work for 12.00. Extreme lack of communication between management, workers, engineers, etc.
Pros
some benefits, call in days
Cons
unhappy workers, no raises or advancement, uncaring union
It's a typical Union vs. Management job
Department Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJanuary 24, 2015
Paid dues, yet was not backed when needed by union. Racism runs rampant and favoritism. If you can get past that most people aren't bad to work with and the work isn't hard. Contracts are negotiated without consent and usually not for the people. Getting put into "Critical" status means your forced to work at least 90 days 10 hr minimum shifts, usually in summer heat so having a family is out of the question. Plan on working 2nd or thirds to start and if your lucky won't get fired on your 89th day.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
pay, management, union, hours
Contract Employee
Cost Savings Engineer (Former Employee) –  SaginawOctober 30, 2014
Was only there for a month before my position along with many others were no longer needed.