Nexteer Automotive

Nexteer Automotive Employee Reviews

Great pay,Bad work culture
Operator (Former Employee), Saginaw,MichiganApril 6, 2015
Pros: Payrate, ability to moveup, Abundant Overtime possibilities
Cons: work environment, health hazards, management
Machine shop.Depending on where you are you will get trained properly but someplaces rushed and not trained correctly so being fast on your feet is a must have in certain departments. Job environment is very down and out and sucks the life out of you at times. Great money but poorly managed in my honest opinion. Some will love and some will hate it,depends on the person. That's my honest opinion.
A well-balanced company making upward strides.
Electromagnetic Compatibility Design Co-op (Current Employee), Saginaw, MIApril 6, 2015
Nexteer Automotive is an outstanding success story in the wake of the recent financial crisis. After GM's spinoff and sale to Pacific Century Motors, and under new leadership, Nexteer has transitioned from a focus on metalworking to electronics development. As one of the foremost automotive steering companies in the world, Nexteer now focuses on top-notch electronic power steering systems-- this shift is ingrained in the culture of the countless engineers who work to make the company an innovative and technologically superior model.

Management is competent and communication is streamlined. Interaction is less linear and travels via multiple channels, allowing for open dialogue between various departments and also between department heads and lower-level employees. Because of this, a culture of equality and growth is very present and there's a real sense of the possibilities of upward mobility.
Fast moving
Installation of steering columns for GM trucks (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIApril 3, 2015
Pros: a decent paycheck
Cons: no healthcare, or benefits
I work on both a fast moving line, and my overtime i work in a cell running a machine. the management is pretty cool, i just havent been hired in yet, received my raise or benefits
no advancement or raises
Assembler (Current Employee), Saginaw, MIFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: some benefits, call in days
Cons: unhappy workers, no raises or advancement, uncaring union
I've been here almost 5 years and have only had 2 raises that didn't even add up to a dollar more. Cut bonuses. Moving people around too often and having bosses run multiple departments. Constantly hearing how bad the site is doing and how we need more production. Union ignores issues. Smelly, dirty, exhausting work for 12.00. Extreme lack of communication between management, workers, engineers, etc.
It's a typical Union vs. Management job
Department Coordinator (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: it's a job
Cons: pay, management, union, hours
Paid dues, yet was not backed when needed by union. Racism runs rampant and favoritism. If you can get past that most people aren't bad to work with and the work isn't hard. Contracts are negotiated without consent and usually not for the people. Getting put into "Critical" status means your forced to work at least 90 days 10 hr minimum shifts, usually in summer heat so having a family is out of the question. Plan on working 2nd or thirds to start and if your lucky won't get fired on your 89th day.
Contract Employee
Cost Savings Engineer (Former Employee), SaginawOctober 30, 2014
Was only there for a month before my position along with many others were no longer needed.
Physically demanding, decent pay, great for overtime.
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee), Saginaw, MISeptember 12, 2014
All about the numbers. The job is very physically demanding and can be a challenge for certain individuals.
A basic routine type of tasks.
Engineer's Assistant/ Prototype product assembler (Current Employee), Saginaw, MISeptember 9, 2014
I have learned to be loyal to a company, no matter how the financial state the company is in. I have also learned the basics of working with management and direct contact with manufacture engineers on a daily basis.
Productive and Enjoyable work environment
College Student (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIAugust 10, 2014
Working as a student for Nexteer Automotive has been an unique learning experience. I learned how to become a flexible employee because my job was never the same day to day. Most days I was out in the plant collecting parts for engineers or helping them with projects. Once a week I would order office supplies and make sure the communications room was stocked. Some days I did office work, such as, helping engineers with projects while working with Excel and Word. I enjoyed my time at Nexteer Automotive. My co-workers were awesome to work with and very helpful when I had questions.
Production Worker (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIJuly 22, 2014
Pros: money
Cons: managment
Over all the money is great but management is horrible so are the benefits.
No advancement
Material Expediter (Current Employee), Saginaw, MIJune 2, 2014
They don't like to promote or move people up. If you are good at what you do they do not promote you they just leave you where you are because your good at it.
Great job
Financial Analyst - Tax (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIMarch 31, 2014
Pros: flex hours, casual dress
Cons: long drive
Diverse company, Asian owned, international culture, it was awesome.
Fun Place to Work
Co-op Student (Current Employee), MIMarch 7, 2014
My typical day includes gathering and analyzing data from the plant floor and part made. Also assisting Quality Manger and team including Quality Engineers.
Productive easy to get along with coworkers.
Technician (Current Employee), Saginaw, MIMarch 5, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: pay, dirty office area (comes with the manufacturing industry)
I enjoy the culture at Nexteer. The people here are great and work very hard. The hardest part of my job is the lack of personal advancement in a timely matter. The greatest part of my job is that my ideas are valued, and actually used. I am not ignored, and I am told that I am valued. Although the management (very high ups) think that contract individuals care about a T-shirt or pen when we keep getting snubbed for full time positions.
Productive place to work with alot of new business coming in.
Machine Operator (Current Employee), Saginaw, MIFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: incentive bonuses, free lunches, free merchadise for a job well done
Cons: n/a
I have learned working here,you have to be willing to learn and experience,all types of jobs and situations,if you put yourself to your full potential,anything can be mastered.
didnt enjoy going into work
Steering Column Controller (Former Employee), Buena Vista, MIJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: health benefits
Cons: you were treated poorly
I worked on an assembly line and i hated going into work. i worked there for about two and a half years. not a very friendly work environment.
Nice people. Leaving people contract when the job is clearly not contract.
Contract (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIJanuary 3, 2014
Company will leave people on contract for decades. Not equal pay between salary and contract. Not a bad place to work though. You could do worse.
A fair place to work with minimal advancement
Production worker (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIDecember 5, 2013
Pros: steady income and great benifits
Cons: way too many politics and advancement was slim to none
I was doing production building steering columns 256 of them per hour. I learn was this type of environment/ setting is all about and just how many different components going into creating one single piece
of equipment. My Co-workers were what made the job enjoyable. The hardest part is the repetitive nature of the job was taking it's toll on my body ergonomically . What I enjoyed most is was a steady income and great benefits.
Friendly and polite but no advancement regardless of contributions
AVC Technician (Former Employee), Saginaw, MINovember 20, 2013
Pros: polite and friendly environment
Cons: slave drivers, disrespectful to contractors, pay inequality, poor management
They are fairly flexible about when you punch in/out as long as you work the "core hours". When you are brought aboard you will most likely not get a real raise nor a promotion. The only way you get a promotion is to quit and apply for the promotion while working elsewhere. Some managers should be fired because they are promoted thanks to the "good old boy's" club and not on their merits. A great place to work if you are comfortable in the "good old boy's" club. If you work here, do not go above and beyond and do not give extra effort. It will not be rewarded. Just do what is basically expected while having a smile on your face. If you have any issues with either a coworker or your pay you will be slotted for replacement as soon as it is convenient for them. Make everyone happy even at the expense of productivity, efficiency or sleep and you will be smiled upon (but not given actual, monetary rewards). Good luck!
Excellent Environment
Test Driver (Former Employee), Casa Grande, AZSeptember 13, 2013
Pros: only typically work monday through friday
Cons: rain stops the work dead in its tracks
This is by far the best place I've worked in my 12 years in the workforce. Between testing the steering gear (which allows you to drive cars you normally wouldn't ) to replacing the gears and doing general maintenance on the vehicles you can always expect to have a different day every day.