NextGen Healthcare Employee Reviews

Worst place I've ever had the misfortune to work for.
Interface Analyst (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAFebruary 25, 2013
Stay away from Nextgen. I was given no training and thrown into live production support/installations - it was a nightmare. So many people there are burnt out zombies from huge project loads and lack of support from management. Which reminds me... the managers act like children and will not help you. I begged my manager for some time to help with the most critical issues that I could not resolve. He set aside 2 hours for a meeting to work on issues. I received 10 minutes of attention during that 2 hours. Most of his time was spent cursing other analysts who sent him questions asking for help. Look, the bottom line is that Nextgen sounds like it used to be a great place to work, but that is not the case now. You will be overworked and have no support from management. Typical answers to questions will result in you being handed 500 - 2000 pages of documentation and told to figure it out. Seriously, stay away.
Pros
free coffee & tea
Cons
no training, no support from mgt, huge workloads, unrealistic expectations, dark, miserable work environment, shared cubicles, miserable co-workers, no hope.
Healthcare Software for Medical Records and Medical Practice Management
QA Analyst/Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PAMarch 1, 2013
NextGen started as a small company. During the period from 2005 from 2010, they grew from 70 employees to about 1500 employees. I started at NextGen in 2006 and in the first year they went from about 250 employees to over 500. They became one of the most successful healthcare software companies and got good reviews from customers. They did not however control the growth and kept promising more than they were able to deliver. This led to many missed deadlines and customer dissatisfaction. They are trying to turn it around now but old habits die hard.
They are in the right business and I hope that they turn it around with the new web-based version of the software that is planned.
I enjoyed my time working at NextGen and am sorry that they were not able to maintain their position in the healthcare market.
Pros
some departments allow one day a week work from home
Cons
there were layoffs recently of about 100 people
productive and great benefits
Patients Accounts Specialist/ Medical Billing (Current Employee) –  North Canton, OHSeptember 3, 2014
Nextgen Healthcare is a wonderful company to work for. I could not complain. They have great benefits. A typical day at work would consist of logging into my phone immediately and taking phone calls from patients regarding their accounts. In between calls I would work the past due AR report, handle voicemails, declined credit card payments and follow up with insurance companies regarding denied claims. The management at Nextgen are wonderful. They were easy to talk to but at the same time expected nothing more or less than effective and efficient work. The hardest part of my day would be having a patient that I cannot assist with lowering the balance. Usually that situation would involve a patient not knowing their insurance policy prior to the appointment. My most enjoyable part of working at Nextgen is because each patient has a different situation, it makes my day go by faster due to it not being repetitive work.
benefits
Cons
short breaks/ hard to schedule vacation time due to lack of medical billing specialist
Innovative, challenging, fun and somewhat chaotic
Manager (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PAMarch 18, 2013
Going in a million directions, many demands, wonderful, supportive coworkers. Flexible work schedule, able to work from home as needed. Continual learning opportunities and incredibly bright employees. Heavy email culture, never a minute without email bombardment. Opportunity to travel to industry events. Hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the demands and minutia, hard to feel in control and on top of my game, more like keeping all the balls up in the air. By the same token, opportunity to be creative and implement new ideas. The people are great and that's what makes it gratifying.
Pros
intelligent, hard working and fun coworkers, challenging and interesting work
Cons
company lacks solid leadership and clear startegic direction, chaotic workflow
Not my favorite
Certified Implementation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAApril 14, 2015
It was a hard company to work for. Not enough hands on training was given before sending you out to clients to work. New trainers were given a mentor but mine only emailed me once. They require any physicians office that buys their product to have someone in their office become a certified user. That makes sense except when you are working on an implementation and the client knows more than you.
They also changed the number of hours you needed to be away from home and the travel expense reimbursements started to come later each month.
Pros
Company with the latest softward
Cons
Long days, too many days away from home before flying out again.
Fantastic group of talented individuals but a serious lack of executive leadership.
Regional Implementation Manager (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PANovember 21, 2012
A lot of potential but very flat organization with little to no vision or direction from the executive team. Individual autonomy allowed for things to get done. Morale is very low due to quality and process issues and the impact this ultimately has on the employees. The best part of the job was working with my team and the clients and the tremendous reward from performing above the client's expectations.
Pros
direct contact w/clients, autonomy, talented people
Cons
weak upper management w/ no vision or direction
Great people and good work/life balance
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 20, 2015
A typical day at work starts with meetings to review work currently being performed in development sprints. After questions are answered, requirements analysis is performed for prioritized features. Teamwork is above average; however there are accountability issues with some employees not pulling their weight. The hardest part of my job is the lack of direction and leadership, which leads to wasted effort in the requirements analysis process. The most enjoyable part of my job is the low-stress office environment.
Fast Passed and high stress job
Inbound Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 24, 2012
The company is involved in the EMR for small hospital around the U.S. The Technical Support Department was very short staffed and the employees were under very stressful working conditions. There was a great push to get the small hospitals through the certification process in order to gain government incentives. The software was not without bugs and the push on implementations caused a great strain on Technical Support. Hopefully they have hired more staff to deal with the influx of work.
Pros
job security
Cons
too much stress
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDFebruary 3, 2013
I have a ask for work daily. I have learned that everything is not what it seems. My manager never told me the truth about where I was headed the next day. My co-workers are wonderful. The hardest part of my job is follow through with my supervisor. The most enjoyable part of my job is that upper management has an open door policy.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
health insurance rates are high
Fun place to work in for anyone willing to travel a lot.
TRAINING AND IMPLEMENTATION SPECIALIST (EHR) (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PAFebruary 15, 2013
If you enjoy spending a lot of time traveling and working on different projects all the time, this is place for you. Work/Life balance is okay but you will spend a lot of time on the road. Co-workers are great, but since everyone is spread across the country, you only get to see them several times annually at large projects and group meetings.
Great work/life balance
Client Care (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PAJune 9, 2015
Very flexible allowing the ability to work from home when needed due to bad weather or having a personal reason (doctor's apt, etc). Direct managers have always been understanding of the need for a good work/life balance. A lot of room for advancement and moving to other teams is encouraged after about two years. Everyone's great to work with!
Good Company but executive management has lost focus
Sr. Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Horsham PAOctober 6, 2015
Used to be a great company but over the years it seems as though executive management has lost focus which has caused NextGen to fall behind competition so the workday is more stressful as market saturation has increased the risk for our current client base to look elsewhere if we cannot deliver.
Very productive, laid back environment that displayed outstanding employee value
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Buckhead, GASeptember 10, 2015
The environment was very comfortable, I've had the pleasure of working with coworkers and clients who were from different parts of the world and I appreciated how NextGen embraced different cultures.
Everyone was treated fairly, very friendly and worked as a team. I enjoyed it very much.
Nextgen is an average place to work in my opinion
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PASeptember 18, 2013
There is no room for advancement at Nextgen. Our benefits have been slowly taken from us little by little. I don't make enough at Nextgen to survive without taking on a 2nd job.
Pros
there are some very good perks at nextgen
Cons
however, our benefits seem to be slowly taken away little by little
Poor management
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PAApril 10, 2015
It is very difficult to obtain the information needed in order to be successful at this company. The company should fill managerial positions from within. Managers are unable to help reps with questions about the system, quoting, client needs etc.
Pros
No micromanaging
Cons
clients are upset with constant updates, Managers can't help
Productive and Great Work Environment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAJune 25, 2014
What a great company to work for. Work/Life balance is unbelievable, staff and management are wonderful. Even though they make having a great life available, you work hard while you are on the clock. The most enjoyable part of this job was learning something new daily and always being thanked for a great job.
Pros
work/life, great management
They need help
Director KBM Development (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAOctober 11, 2013
The management team is not planning for the future, not dealing with strategic issues and allows a ridiculous amount of internal politics, which is very inefficient and time consuming.

Not a good place to work.
Pros
industry with tremendous opportunity
Cons
infinite oppinions from physicians on how software should work
A relax working environment
Account Receivable Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDFebruary 8, 2015
NextGen is an ideal working environment where the management encourage growth in respective of your lifestyle, religion and race. I could proudly say, its a relax working environment for me, compare to my previous experience in a related working environment.
Pros
free lunch when necessary
Cons
short breaks
My commute is short and I enjoy working with my co workers
Team Lead of Product Specialists (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 6, 2013
We just had a 100 person layoff and the management that they are bringing in do not have EMR experience.
Pros
great people
Cons
management skill
Excellent
Implementation Specialist/Trainer (Former Employee) –  USJuly 22, 2013
A lot of traveling on the road, see a lot. Learned different specialties, new workflows, helped me with confidence in speaking with large groups. Hardest part of the job was leaving family behind for a few days.
Pros
clients
Cons
traveling