NHS Human Services Employee Reviews in United States

Very flexible and hard working team
Director of Financial Operations (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 19, 2016
Lots of hard working teammates in the organization. Lost of change this past year within the company with moving no towards a service line restructure.
Pros
Flexible-powerful mission
Unethical
CHLS Worker (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 7, 2016
Simply the worst company I ever worked for. Management are unethical and disrespectful.
There is always a possibility of getting stuck for an additional shift when working in the mental health field. However,this is the norm for the company. Employees have been stuck at sites for days at a time, and if you walk off the shift its rights for termination.
Family and the priorities of their employees are not a priority.
Great company
House Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Slippery Rock, PAApril 28, 2016
The clients are fun to work with and the company is great. Working at the Program Center with all the clients is an experience not to be missed.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Healthcare
Liars!!!
Bsc (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaApril 25, 2016
Management will tell you one thing and the exact opposite happens. Poor communication. Office staff is unqualified. Suggest BSCs to engage in fraudulent being to meet productivity only to leave you hanging if an audit occurs. Awful company.
Pros
Non
Cons
Liars!!!
Horrible experience to work. But you will gain great experience
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 10, 2016
Horrible!!! If I were you never apply unless you up for the drama. My definition of a job is to love coming to work and enjoy what you do. Not come in everyday with negative attitudes from staff. Management should have been fired!! So many lies. Never will work for this company again. Two thumbs down!!!
Pros
You gain experience and they pay for training and education
Cons
You never can get a day off even if you earn your vacation time
Horrible place to work in philadelphia
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 1, 2016
I am a new employee to NHS and I work first shift but keep getting stuck at work and have to work a whole second shift. I have a small child at home and the company make you feel that your family come second to the job. The attitudes of higher ups are very unprofessional and uncaring. Supervisor become friends with the staff and do not know how to separate friendships from work and act like they're scared to write up employees who don't come to work. This job is also based off of seniority in order to move up in this company and the pay is low but expect people to be mandated to stay and it's really like working for free. The people that have been working the longest are the most abusive people toward the clients and staff because they feel they can pick and choose what task a newbie should and can do. This job is robbing me of my happiness and time with my young child, I don't mind working but I don't want to work past my eight hours because I cannot accommodate 16 hours shift because I don't have the childcare funds to pay for extra care. This job needs to reprimand it's higher ups to make staff accountable for things they are doing wrong. The residential houses really don't have any food or cleaning supplies and the consumers get foodstamps and stipends and it's not being used toward the clients. The moment a supervisor get reported and they know the house is about to be checked they run to Walmart to do a bunch of shopping to fill up the fridge and cabinets so it doesn't look like abuse or neglect. The state really need to shut this company down or take it over.
Pros
Being in the union help pay for college tuition
Cons
Scheduling is weak, supervisors are scared of staff, clients suffering, Staff are overworked & under payed, and mandated to work someone else's shift
not bad if you are desperate but not a great place to work
direct support professional (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 30, 2016
i often got stuck at a clients house, the managers would relieve me and often times i would be there for a second shift that was not planned
Pros
easy to get a job
Cons
unorganized company
Productive and professional work place.
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Coal Twp. PAMarch 22, 2016
I enjoyed working for NHS. There was a high level of autonomy given to employees and support when needed. Great working experience.
Fulfilling job
Case Management Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Coal Township, PaMarch 21, 2016
Direct care of students (Adjudicated delinquent and dependent youth)
Quality assurance of monthly student evaluations
Oversee all direct care staff members
Not good upper management at NHS/TAIG
Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 10, 2016
NHS is a global Human Service Corporation. It is one if not the largest Human Service Corporation internationally. A typical experience for is that their is an arrogance aura about the upper management. Benefits are great. A lot of Bureaucracy; however, it is employment.

Co workers were great in sharing information for work flow readiness. I did develop a few friends.

The hardest part of job was driving around to 5 homes and managing the homes, and staff, and individuals.

The enjoyable apart of course is meeting different type of folks and supporting them toward progress.
Pros
they Match 401 plan
Cons
bureaucracy
A work place that keeps you busy
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 9, 2016
a typical day at work is making daily checks and chores and controling outrageous behavior. I learned to gain more patience. Co workers get along well so far. The hardest part of the job is keeping your composure in compromising situations. The most enjoyable part is the free employee meals and movie tickets.
Pros
free movie tickets for employees
Cons
getting stuck, behavior and violence problems with consumers
Not worth the hassle
Direct care giver (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAMarch 8, 2016
Management will try to get you to work round the clock. No consideration for staff. You're just body working other people who don't care about the job.bad training. Didn't get paid all my hours.reporting issues is a joke. No advancement. No transfers allowed. Training doesn't prepare you. Management and main office can't be bothered. Wear and tear on your vehicle escorting clients around. The list goes on and on
Cons
Productive great place to work
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Glenside, PAMarch 8, 2016
Great place to work. Great work -life balance. Learned a lot, great management, work environment was wonderful. I have nothing negative to say in regards to this company.
Poor Management
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carlisle/Newville PaFebruary 17, 2016
I applied for employment in the Harrisburg area and asked to be placed in that area several times. I was placed nearly an hour from my home.

I was not trained specifically on children's needs. Placed in a classroom with very little instruction and then expected to work without any knowledge.

I addressed the placement issue with the director whom was short and rude.

I've sat in a classroom for a week without any explanation as to what I could be doing...I was simply expected to know.

I feel as though the company has general lack of concern for children's needs as they treat them all and expect them all to operate in the same manner.

I am overall greatly disappointed and disgusted with the way this compnay has conducted business.
Pros
Work with children, off in the summer
Cons
Poor management, lack of proper training
Lack of teamwork or communication
Autistic Support Teacher (Former Employee) –  PaFebruary 13, 2016
Very different experience than what was discussed in my interview. The stress level is very high among the staff and the moral is low, with no communication or support for the staff in difficult situations.
Pros
PTO time
Cons
Far too much paperwork to be completed without near enough planning time, especially if computers aren't allowed to be taken home, and be cannot get into the school on the weekends to complete my work.
Not the best place to work
Residental Advisor (Current Employee) –  Shrron hillFebruary 10, 2016
The recruter dont help the employes, no bonuses peirod, holidays etc, the top supervior is really mean for no reason, they really dont show alot of love for the consumers that lives there and its hard just to take off for vacation
Pros
Nice area
Cons
Weather condition can cause tress to fall or power outtage
loved the clientel
Life Skills Worker (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 8, 2016
I enjoyed working with the clients that lived in the home I was assigned to. They brought me joy everyday. This job was a very rewarding job to me. I always felt I made a slight difference on a daily basis.
Pros
Very rewarding
Cons
Never could make it to class on time
Great Place
Staff Associate (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 4, 2016
It's a great place to work, and has great opportunities to talk about you experience to another person about the reason to be strong and do the right things in life.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
too many hours ex: 7am-11pm
grat place to work
liaison and consultant (Former Employee) –  Penn Hills, PAFebruary 2, 2016
staff and management worked hand in hand. difficult job because of the demands of the clients. working in unsafe places, using your own vehicle.
A nice place to work
RESIDENTIAL AIDE (Current Employee) –  Southampton, PAJanuary 26, 2016
You have plenty of opportunities to move up in the company. They are really friendly and care about the clients they serve