Nicholas and Company Employee Reviews

Not a good place to work
Order selector (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 18, 2016
Overall, Nicholas and company provides decent benefits and advancement within the company..if you have been there long enough. They go through order selectors like nothing and now I see why. I was there 3 months and it's very hard to hit incentive with everybody driving vigorously through the warehouse, the pay is based on luck. You pick your orders blind and some are good some aren't. Managers play favoritism and give good orders to their friends. Some people go through the box where you pick your orders and look at them all to pick a good one. It's a joke, you do not get paid based on how hard you work, you get paid based on what order you pick. And also I was never told how pay even really worked, I was told 4 different pay rates by 4 different managers. They will tell you how much you can make but in reality you make $13/hr. If you don't hit incentive pay one week you fall back to $13.
Benefits
Cons
Hours, inconsistent bad pay, managers, selfish employees
training
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 26, 2015
training was very short and it was my first time in this type of work..., and they didn't allow for mistakes, we are all human
Great company to work for
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 27, 2012
Great company with amazing benefits and room for advancement
The pay is lottery based and they turn and burn through order selectors
Order selector (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, utJuly 3, 2014
I worked here for almost three weeks. The base pay is not good at all for what you do but the incentive could be nice... If you get good orders that night which is like a lottery. The lift drivers are constantly in your way and the pick aisles are a fat mess so it is hard to hit incentive pay with all the factors. It is a super busy environment with people flying around on walkie riders in all directions trying to hit incentive. In my almost 3 weeks I think 4 people walked out and 2 didn't show up which makes for some long nights. They told me an average night is 3:45pm to between 1 and 3 am and not once did we finish before 4 am. If you want to make good money here you will have to be here for awhile and have little to no mispicks. Ps if you have a mispick it's 25 dollars out of your check which means you worked a couple hours for free. To sum it up, it's a good right out of high school job with decent benefits and an inconsistent roller coaster of an income. Oh and it would help if you speak Spanish, pretty sure I got called a white girl in the lunch room LoL.
Pros
lunch room.
Cons
very crowded, inconsistent pay, schedule, morale of other employees, pick line set up and over all orginazation of warehouse.
Family Friendly
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 25, 2015
Great family friendly company that treats team members like they belong. Benefits are great and the company provides a lot of choices on supplemental benefits as well
Ok Pay, Good Benefits
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 3, 2014
Trucks are maintaned, benefits and bonuses. Family Company
Pros
friendly and family orientated
Cons
pay
Family Owned
Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 19, 2013
I enjoy working for this organization, they have a great personable relationship with their employee's. They have expansion and growth opportunities to more for the industry.

This is an industry that is relentless, fast paced, timeline driven on a daily basis. The rewards come in the form of the great relationships you build.
Pros
growth opportunities to advance
Cons
business model is small margins on profits resulting in small margin of errors.
Its A place that tries to promote a desirable work atmosphere
Class A Driver ( Tractor Trailer ) (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT.September 19, 2011
Nicholas and Company was a good place to obtain experience in the food service distribution industry.
About 8 yrs behind in technology. Fantastic Ownership
Order selector, loader and trainer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 7, 2013
This company has great potential. They have one of the best most caring people right at the top. Mrs. owners wife is very intelligent and passionate about the company. It's too bad they have got a few bad seeds on the warehouse management team. The night manager is a great front man, but is completely insecure. He won't ever be respected by his employees. You can tell he bought a book or two on managing difficult people. He is just a used car salesman without a conscience. Which will only keep him in the same job if there is not a replacement. His replacement is there, but last I heard he was still a lead not even a supervisor. This company does a unbelievable job with the technology they have. However, they could blow the competition away with a few adjustments. I would love to sit down with Mrs. owners wife and the director and discuss the changes that I could have made 3 years ago. I put in for a supervisor job as I was instructed to by the acting manager before the old supervisor even stepped down. Interviewed with the director and the V.P. who I believe wanted to hire me as the supervisor. Until the manager talked them out of it. They proceeded to hire yet another salesman who sold them a horrible new system that was a complete waste of money. Mrs. owners wife was furious. The whole reason that happened is I started to ride in with a co worker who happened to be female. I wasn't aware that the manager was sleeping with her. For one she was married. Two she worked directly under him. For whatever it's worth I would still sit down and discuss anything that I have said and  more... back it up with witnesses and evidence. There is many more things that I could have said, but out of respect for the ownership I refused. One other thing that bothered me is that they were always rated one of Utah's best places to work. I feel that it was inaccurate based on each employee was logged into the company computer under their own username and answered the questionnaire that rated their department management as well as the corporation as a whole.  less
Pros
potential for growth
Cons
night management is lacking leadership
Del driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City utNovember 20, 2013
Don't this job sucks if you like handling fright twice going down a ramp to delivery having poor equipment and the pay sucks big time
Cons
sucks
Fun co-workers
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, Ut.September 21, 2012
The days would always be fun and other employes would come help each other if it was needed.

2.9