Nicor Gas Employee Reviews in United States

A large utility company with only the stock holder in mind
Field Operations Supervisor (Retired) (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 26, 2016
The company did a good job controlling the dividend for the stock holders. It was a good investment. It is unfair for me to write anything else, because Nicor Gas had been purchased by AGL Resources out of Atlanta and I only worked there for about 1 1/2 years before retiring. Since I retired, AGL has now been bought out by Southern Company and I am not familiar with them at all.
Pros
Maintained a consistent dividend
Cons
It was a utility company, so if there had to be a down side, it was being available 24/7.
Summer Help is great as a college student
Summer Help (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILApril 6, 2016
The people in charge of you really care about safety so if it rains, you will be stuck in the shop all day. If mowing lawns and cutting branches is your thing, this is a good job for you.
Pros
Everyone is nice
Cons
the commute, may depend on location
n/a
Customer Service/ Sales (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJuly 6, 2016
n/a i do not wish to discuss this job because I don't remember this job that well I know it was a utility company working as a third party vendor connecting as start stipend transferring services.
Not well run
Service office Clerk field support (Current Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILJanuary 15, 2016
Work long hours with out breaks or lunches, there is not enough field crews to complete work thats pending, customers are irate at clerks for not getting their service in a timly manner.
Senior Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Crestwood, ILDecember 8, 2015
Nicor is a great company to work for. I really like the diversity that you see in the organization.The upper Management team engages with all of the employees. This makes working under their leadership rewarding.
Professional and great public relations
Manager, Gas Control (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILSeptember 16, 2015
There was no pattern to a typical work day, some were slow and some were changing by the minute. My department forecast the customer usage, then we had to secure those volumes either from our storage or through the purchase from the open market. I learned how to use my resources and to be creative during non working hours. This was the hardest part of the job, but most rewarding because you would learn so much. The people whom I worked with along with our group projects, were true professionals which made my job so enjoyable.
Pros
Everyday was different, many new opportunities
Cons
Nights, weekends and holidays worked with limited resources
good company
Underground Damage Investigator (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 13, 2015
Enjoyed working with the team and dealing with the public.

enjoyed working outdoors, but dealing with the snow and ice can be dangerous and difficult.
Excellent place to work
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Sycamore, ILOctober 17, 2015
Excellent employer. I enjoy working with a diverse group of customers. The most difficult part of the job is the commute
A Fast Paced & Productive job for Problem Solvers
Sr. Gas Controller (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 20, 2015
• A typical day involves supporting the safe and efficient operations of the pipeline company’s transmission and storage system at all times as well as recognizing, reacting to, and effectively communicating emergencies resulting in crisis and non-crisis situations. Additionally, making adjustments as warranted to meet any increase or decrease in demand on an hourly basis.

• Management is supportive and generally hands-off. A corporate merger has allowed for the opportunity to work for serveral different types of Directors & Managers with various styles of management.

• Co-workers are highly skilled, trained, hard working, and dependable.
Great atmosphere of employees/management to work with!
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ancona, ILMarch 10, 2015
This was a local company, who hired me through a temp. service. I assisted with bills, phones, filing, data entry, contractor & employee issues, etc. It was overall, an awesome experience, as the employees were amazing to work with and appreciated me. Management was also great to work with. I worked as an assistant, and covered the office manager in her absence for several months. I also covered the office manager's in Hudson, IL. and Troy Grove, IL. in their absences. This position was hard to leave, however, choosing to work full time at my children's school seemed more logical at the time.
Pros
meeting new people and helping keep things running well.
Cons
hiring was not an option through a temp. service.
Work Place Assessment
System Planning Engineer (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 12, 2015
Great place to work for. Learned a lot and the work environment is the best I have seen. The only reason why I am looking is because I am currently a full time contractor.

I work as a system planning and forecasting engineer. Approving any new and existing business which require additional service. Also respond to emergency situations with the best solutions.
Cons
being a contractor
Worked in a different location with new customers everyday.
Installation Technician (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILDecember 27, 2014
Everyday was filled with new challenges. No job is ever exactly the same; which is why I enjoyed it.
I learned about new types of equipment as they came on the marketplace. We did not always receive training, but I learned on-the-fly which I feel is a valuable asset.
The hardest part of this job changes daily. Everyday is different, and you never know 'exactly' what you will be dealing with until you are reviewing the job itself.
The hardest part is also the most enjoyable part of my job. I love problem solving and making my customers happy at the end of the day.
benefits
Cons
they are closing my part of their business, and i am looking for a new job.
It was nice to work outside.
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILFebruary 10, 2015
The best job to get in shape while you get paid to do it. It was a good hustle type job. I loved the fast pace it put you in. The days would just fly by. It didn't hurt that I also worked with some very good people. You have to love your job and the people you work with in order to have the correct balance and I did.
On a day to day you meet and greet new customers.
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Glenwood, IL.January 31, 2015
Meeting different people every day and communication with co-worker daily keeps you in contact with the world. Though at sometimes you must be alert of wondering dogs because they will bite. One thing is a must communication is major to to productive day.
love my job!
Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sycamore, ILMarch 3, 2015
I am currently employed at Nicor Gas.I take inbound calls from customers resolving there billing issues. I also process start & stop of service. I take gas emergency calls. I like my job and the staff and co workers. The only down fall is the commute.
Excellent Company
Customer Care Rep (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILMay 23, 2015
Excellent company to work for that have many opportunities for growth. Management team is very approachable, supportive, and knowledgeable.
Great place...demanding schedule
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 1, 2014
Nicor was a great place to work. The pay was great....the job security was there. But the hours were too much. Weekends and Holidays were the norm...and thats the reason I left. My immediate boss was a pain, on a never-ending power trip, but my other trainers were amazing.
Challenging
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILMay 1, 2012
Taking customer calls for gas leaks, moving, demolition, construction, entering in meter readings, correcting biling, scheduling of work orders, payments and arrangments. Not being able to fix some accounts was very frustrating and I could not fix it other than getting a reading so a bill could be issued out and after the bill was issued I could not adjust or help in arranging the payments on the account. The only advancement was to move back to the Chicago area and was not ready to move back there.
Pros
customers
Cons
not being able to fix an account and help
no pension plans, very slow advancement opportunities
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILMay 3, 2012
Lots of long days meter reading. I read meters for over 3 years, without any grattitude. I learned how not to be a good superviser from my superviser. She spent more time threatening everyone that worked under her, than she did taking care of them. Made it very difficult to work in those situations.

Hardest part of the job was getting chased by dogs. You had to be a fast runner, or get bit.

Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting great people. I cant stress that enough.
Pros
company car, free gas, and a year round job
Cons
no pension, poor pay, lack of advancement
Nicor Gas is an very good place to work. Management employees are given
Billing Quality Assurance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJuly 3, 2012
My supervision of the Billing Quality Assurance department afforded me many challanges while getting great satisfaction from supervising Nicor's highest level union employees. They ranged from 15 to 31 year employees. Each day was spent correcting billing issues, sometimes resulting in interaction with the Illinois Commerce Commission. My fellow management co-workers were supportive and we worked well as a team.
Pros
great salary, good benefits, given much responsibility
Cons
on occasion long hours were required.