Nicor Gas Employee Reviews

Customer Service/Billing Rep (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 22, 2017
Great place to work, opportunities for advancement in various departments and locations. Reasonable benefits for individuals or families. Convenient location.
Great for many years.
SR CORROSION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILMarch 29, 2017
My work day starts from home, as I have a take home vehicle which allows me to get more done in a day. I report directly to my work site and begin. I am in contact with peers and management throughout the day and may be relocated at anytime to any Nicor location.
I have learned no one has all the answers and that teamwork is advantageous. I learned to enjoy my work day and still get everything done. I take safety very seriously and think ahead to prevent injury. Being very mechanically inclined, I try to be observant to prevent breakdowns.
Management was approachable and would listen, though change may take a while. New management after the buy out overturned that. They don't respond to veteran employees and make changes for the sake of making it their way, not for the better.
The culture also changed from positive to negative to a point many employees are constantly afraid for their jobs.
Probably the hardest part of my job is running into something I cannot resolve on my own. Luckily, our group is always good at helping each other and usually a phone call resolves the issue.
The most enjoyable part is driving to different locations outside and successfully completing tasks. I also enjoy interacting with peers and being there for them when needed. I take pride in my work having been raised to work "old school".
Pros
The other employees.
Cons
New management is lacking.
Expect changes and inconsistency
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILMarch 23, 2017
This is an incoming call center environment. As you would expect calls are recorded, timed and meticulously reviewed for "quality" purposes. After taking constant calls (non stop) it gets taxing. Normal work day is 8-10 hours. All breaks and lunches are scheduled. Overall decent pay but little room to advance unless you can relocate. Management is also challenging.
Mediocre pay with incredible stability
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 2, 2017
Although I left in 2008, the typical day is easy. The work environment is casual, but you likely can't wear jeans. Some of the technology is top-notch but it's been implemented clumsily. The hardest part of the job was selling ideas to management. The most enjoyable was the friendly people to work with.
Pros
incredible stability
Cons
pay was mediocre unless you were a chosen employee who got promoted a lot
Job Eliminated
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 21, 2017
The job was eliminated when Nicor Gas was bought by AGL Resources because position was no longer needed. The job originally consisted of creating invoices for damages done to gas pipelines.
Fast paced and demanding call center.
Customer Care Specialist/Billing (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 29, 2017
A very demanding and fast pace call center. Never a dull moment. With mandatory over time every Monday and Tuesday its hard to get a 3 day weekend. Overtime is scheduled when its not necessary, and you sit and wait in between calls. One QA supervisor will tell you something very different from the next. Scheduling a vacation is hard when there is very seldom to get a Monday and Friday off! They do say its on a 1st come 1st service basis. They Quality Team should be on the same page. Management team does leave something to be desired. Probation is 120 days!
Pros
Pay is very good After probation
Cons
There is mandatory OT every Monday & Tuesday sometime not necessary.
Secure and safe workplace
Worker (Current Employee) –  ILDecember 2, 2016
The safety culture at the utility is strong and getting stronger. Recently purchased by Southern Company there is many opportunities to advance if one is willing to relocate especially
A big business company with a family business feel.
Supervisor of Operations (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 20, 2016
Nico Gas is one of the highest rated utility companies in the United States. It is an enjoyable place to work with advancement and educational opportunities. With hard work and dedication, any employee could enjoy a prosperous career.
Pros
Healthcare, 401K Plan
Cons
No Pension
Bilingual CS/ Customer Verification Team (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILSeptember 19, 2016
Very nice people, nice environment, open door policy, however it takes too long to move up. You have to obtain seniority to get a better shift. Days can be very busy or extremely slow.
Pros
pay, people
Customer Care Agent
Customer care agent (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJuly 29, 2016
Sell warranty products, process bill payments, dispute bill charges, dispatch tech put to customer location. Code/notate customer account, create repair claims, and follow up with tech to make sure work order is completed.
n/a
Customer Service/ Sales (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJuly 6, 2016
n/a i do not wish to discuss this job because I don't remember this job that well I know it was a utility company working as a third party vendor connecting as start stipend transferring services.
Overall good experience
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILMay 16, 2016
Great pay, Clean environment, Quiet office space, the only disadvantage are the hours that are due to it being a Union Job, and the probationary period is 120 days.
Summer Help is great as a college student
Summer Help (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILApril 6, 2016
The people in charge of you really care about safety so if it rains, you will be stuck in the shop all day. If mowing lawns and cutting branches is your thing, this is a good job for you.
Pros
Everyone is nice
Cons
the commute, may depend on location
A large utility company with only the stock holder in mind
Field Operations Supervisor (Retired) (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 26, 2016
The company did a good job controlling the dividend for the stock holders. It was a good investment. It is unfair for me to write anything else, because Nicor Gas had been purchased by AGL Resources out of Atlanta and I only worked there for about 1 1/2 years before retiring. Since I retired, AGL has now been bought out by Southern Company and I am not familiar with them at all.
Pros
Maintained a consistent dividend
Cons
It was a utility company, so if there had to be a down side, it was being available 24/7.
Not well run
Service office Clerk field support (Current Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILJanuary 15, 2016
Work long hours with out breaks or lunches, there is not enough field crews to complete work thats pending, customers are irate at clerks for not getting their service in a timly manner.
Senior Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Crestwood, ILDecember 8, 2015
Nicor is a great company to work for. I really like the diversity that you see in the organization.The upper Management team engages with all of the employees. This makes working under their leadership rewarding.
Excellent place to work
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Sycamore, ILOctober 17, 2015
Excellent employer. I enjoy working with a diverse group of customers. The most difficult part of the job is the commute
good company
Underground Damage Investigator (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 13, 2015
Enjoyed working with the team and dealing with the public.

enjoyed working outdoors, but dealing with the snow and ice can be dangerous and difficult.
Professional and great public relations
Manager, Gas Control (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILSeptember 16, 2015
There was no pattern to a typical work day, some were slow and some were changing by the minute. My department forecast the customer usage, then we had to secure those volumes either from our storage or through the purchase from the open market. I learned how to use my resources and to be creative during non working hours. This was the hardest part of the job, but most rewarding because you would learn so much. The people whom I worked with along with our group projects, were true professionals which made my job so enjoyable.
Pros
Everyday was different, many new opportunities
Cons
Nights, weekends and holidays worked with limited resources
Excellent Company
Customer Care Rep (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILMay 23, 2015
Excellent company to work for that have many opportunities for growth. Management team is very approachable, supportive, and knowledgeable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nicor Gas. Our community is ready to answer.