NIELSEN COMPANY

NIELSEN COMPANY Employer Reviews

Nice place to work and gain experience
Intern (Former Employee), LATAMJanuary 28, 2015
nice place to work and gain experience in marketing or in any fild related.
I do not recommend anyone to work here.
Mobile Marketing Operations Analyst (Former Employee), Tampa, FLNovember 2, 2014
Pros: training and overtime
Cons: constant lay offs, too many bosses and favoritism plays a part.
I enjoyed working there as I had to travel a lot and all the expenses were paid. good training, good team, bad managers.
The experience was a great one!
PC Support Team Leader / Chief LAN Administrator (Former Employee), Oldsmar, FLOctober 28, 2014
Pros: the people i knew were good folks.
Cons: everything is about money... things done cheaper aren't always the best way to do things.
I worked at the Nielsen Company for over 23 years. A great experience and I learned a lot. A typical day would begin with budget conditions, how to save money or create ways to improve efficiencies. I learned Sigma Six, Black Belt procedures and goals. Also, I learned we are a Global workforce and became much more diverse. My offshore communication skills are excellent. The folks I worked with were great, everyone wants to do well. The worst part of my position was when I had to make hard decisions concerning reductions in force. The most enjoyable part was seeing a person I developed get promoted.
Productive.
Field Representative (Current Employee), Oldsmar, FLOctober 7, 2014
Pros: company car & gas card
Cons: no breaks... work work work
Overall Great Company. I enjoy the joy of traveling. Sometimes it feels a little overwhelming, but its great. You get the chance to meet a lot of different people. You MUST adjust to all types of living environment. ANIMALS in the house.
Flexible workplace not worth the troubles
Finance Director (Current Employee), Schaumburg, ILSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: horrible bonus structure, significant layoffs
The only aspect of the company is that they allow flexibility in working from home or another office. Management has fostered and supported a "meritocracy" bonus structure in which your paid bonus is your new opportunity in the next year. For example, if the business has a bad year (which it does every year) the bonus get funded at 90%...so if you had a $10k opportunity you will get $9k right off the bat. Then the $9k is you opportunity next year and the business has another bad year...you will now get $8k. Bear I'm mind this might not have been no fault of your own and now you are actually making less money overall as your 1.3% average merit increase every 18months does not make up for this shortfall. This process is for 80%-90% of the workforce, no exceptions.
Productive Environment
ASSISTANT FACILITY/SAFETY COORDINATOR (Current Employee), Elizabethtown, KYSeptember 3, 2014
*Analyzed costs for goods / services to achieve maximum value
*Liaising with relevant government agencies as required
*Managing, scheduling and coordinating vendor relations
Productive, Easy going with a Fuss Ball table and Massage chairs
Research interviewer (Former Employee), Oldsmar, FLAugust 4, 2014
Pros: good management
Cons: short breaks
Nielsen was a very good environment, they teach very well everything you need to know. I met interesting people that I now call friends. Team leaders are supportive.
Exceleent work place
Call center (Former Employee), TampaMarch 25, 2014
Cons: short breaks
Team player, excellent manager, but no full time job. I don't have more to tell you about this company. if you are looking for a part/time it is a right place.
Nice company to work
Sr QA Analyst/ Tester (Current Employee), Oldsmar, FLMarch 20, 2014
Pros: nice place to work
I learnt a lot after joining in nielsen, like how to manage people with offshore and onshore model and we did lot of achievements as a part of cycle time reduction to reduce manual efforts in testing and improved lot in testing processes, did lot of automation wherever required and feasible.
Membership Rep
Membership Rep (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 13, 2014
The craziest sales job I have ever had where I am unable to determine my own work. Work controlled by sample manager, so if you are liked by him/her you will get good sample if not you will get someones leftovers. There goes your bonus, Manger complete lied about position, Its a SALES job where you cant control the number of signs you make. Everyone is completely clueless. All managers lied to both myself and other reps throughout the country.
Database Specialist (Former Employee), Orlando, FLFebruary 5, 2014
Enjoyed contact daily with clients. Demanding environment. Must be willing to multi task and work many hours during projects.
It was a great opportunity
Temp (Former Employee), Tampa,FLFebruary 3, 2014
While working at Nielsen I learned to operate their survey systems.
Exciting Projects in TV, Internet, and Social Media
Client Services Manager (Former Employee), Nielsen Company - GTC Oldsmar FloridaDecember 13, 2013
Pros: excellent projects working with large companies in the tv, internet, and social media space.
Cons: large projects pending funding - multiple years to approval
The projects were extremely challenging as the work included projects with national companies working with large data requirements to understand the viewing and purchasing habits of customers. Projects were global in nature and required working with onshore/offshore resources in multiple time zones.

Learning the TV ratings business was extremely interesting as it provided a in depth understanding of how TV shows are viewed and rated and the impact on advertising dollars. Specialized projects required working with large teams across the globe which also was exciting in terms of cultural, technology, and approach differences.

The most complex part of the position was working through the funding of projects and competing for resources on large projects.
Good People, just not enough to do all the work
Digital Account Manager (Current Employee), Work from homeDecember 1, 2013
Pros: have the ability to work from home and remotely which provides some flexibility
Cons: at times it feels as though there is little regard given to work/life balance
Nielsen can be a fun place to work and there are lots of good people to work with but the company is too big to get out of its own way. In an industry where things need to be nimble and move fast Nielsen has trouble keeping up. In it's efforts to keep up employees suffer by having to trudge through tedious tasks or spend too much time just trying to find out that the process has changed.

As an industry leader it's not a bad place to work but you must be prepared to deal with a certain amount of frustration
dedicated and competent team of co-workers working together at sometimes frantic rate to achieve weekly production schedule.
Quality Assurance Coordinator (Former Employee), 85 broad street new york cityOctober 9, 2013
Pros: we were provided with laptop loaded with software to access servers, and were able to work home occasionally.
Cons: corporate organizations save money by deciding to outsource some of their positions, and my department was outsourced to our offshore team in india.
I specifically worked at Soundscan, producing charts for Billboard Magazine on a weekly basis. Monday and Tuesday were production days where we collected and audited retail sales. Wednesday through Friday I managed databases containing our stores, maintained weekly production reports, provided store customer service. learning how to work as a team was essential, no one could continue the process without each individual completing their part of the puzzle, and when one area was over burdened, we all were needed to assist any way possible. my co-workers were dedicated to complete all aspects of the job on a timely basis. management was an integral part of completing production, needing to work closely with all departments involved. the interaction with the team was probably the best part of the job. the hardest part would be when a record label would send us data late, or incorrect, and parts of the production schedule would have to be re-run. the soundscan team was willing and able to spend many a long night making sure all was correct.
Trusted Name company is a great place to to work
Membership Representative (Former Employee), 207 Millstone Circle Clarksville,TN 37042October 9, 2013
Pros: you are the boss
Cons: time can be your friend or enemy, lots of deadlines
days are full from start to finish you have total autonomy.

Managers can be little better.

the hardest part of the job is driving.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people everyday.
It is a good company overall
Research Interviewer (Current Employee), Oldsmar, FLSeptember 6, 2013
Pros: free lunches, gifts, short breaks
Cons: only part time
It is a friendly company with a good training department that makes sure that you are able to do an excellent phone survey. It is a seasonal type of company that sometimes there is no work for weeks. Part time type of work.
Watchin what you watch
Field Panel Support Associate (Former Employee), Arlington, TXJune 26, 2013
Pros: hours, location, relaxing atmosphere, coworkers, unlimited coffee!
Cons: no room for advancement
Working at Nielsen was an experience. I enjoyed my coworkers and my managers. It was interesting to see how Nielsen TV ratings work. Working for Nielsen was very laid back but there was really no room for advancement unless you wanted to relocate. The position was analyzing data, classifying each error and contacting field reps as needed. There were no real "set" hours. As long as you got your work done in 40 hours and no one else needed help, you got to leave early on Fridays. That was the perk!
Nielsen, the age discrimatory work environment!
Research Interviewer (Former Employee), Dunedin, FLApril 3, 2013
Pros: there are none!
Cons: stressful environment
No chance for advancement if your age is over 35 - (for real). Even their media research reflects their age discriminatory practices. The research is focused on under 25 for TV ratings. Their employees are given non-compliance quality reports in an effort to get rid of employees over age 50 - (that's a fact - Jack!)
I was outsourced along with a lot of other hard working americans
Commercial Analyst (Former Employee), Shelton, CTApril 3, 2013
This job was one of the more fun ones i have had. It was hard not to be upset in the end because of the outsourcing and the poor vibe it brought to the workplace.