Ninety Nine Restaurant & Pub Employee Reviews

Challenging and fast paced work environment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Dayville, CTSeptember 16, 2016
Working as a line cook for the 99 was a rewarding experience. You learn to cook many different meals and develop a sense of pride upon completing a dish. While the job is very high stress, you are given support from your coworkers on a daily basis. Everyone works together as a team to get the orders out in a timely fashion.
Pros
Learn real world skills and a 50% discount on all food at the 99.
Cons
Very stressful wirk environment.
great scheduling
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Somerville, MAAugust 14, 2016
I spent 5 years at this job, great with scheduling while i was in school. I also became very out going working here. I would work here again.
Very postive
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 6, 2016
Very positive work environment, great mentality of staff and co-workers, team environment, overall great place to work.
Pros
Positive, fun enviornemnt with many growth options
Cons
Short breaks, late hours
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Tewksbury, MAJune 18, 2016
A good day, normally ten hour shifts. You will manage about 30 people at a time if not more. The culture is amazing and you get to meet someone new every day. Time management is the hardest part of the job.
hands on, fast paced, good training
First cook (Former Employee) –  Rutland, VTFebruary 23, 2016
Loved the people and environment. My co workers were amazing and made everyone's jobs fun and we all knew when to crack down and start getting serious to pump out the food.
good but could be better
Assistant Kitchen Mgr (Current Employee) –  Fairhaven, MADecember 28, 2015
The quality of food is great and the passion for pleasing the guest is held to a high standard. Management is very relaxed when it comes to building a team and raises are far and few.
Dreams promised during interview are simply not reality
manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn, MANovember 10, 2015
This company from the corporate mouth sounds like it is the greatest chain to work for . However this is simply u true shortly into my training the store i had trained at had roaches . I will say in my years of food service the lack of detail cleaning is based on management and can only be judged on a store by store basis. You are solely at the mercy of your fellow managers and general manager. I myself apparently was not a favorite as i was routinely scheduled as the closer at least 4 out of 5 shifts a week. Sometimes upwards of 6 times in a row which i wouldnt have minded if you could get out prior to 2 am . This particular chain doesnt seem to care much of its employees unless you have been with them for 10+ years . The district manager is not ti be seen and any problems voiced in his direction are disregarded and simple not handled appropriately. Multiple times on shift other managers working would be lounging around the bar more interested in gossip and talking than providing great guest service and often leaving myself hi and dry to take care of its issues . Employees develooed habits of showing up late routinely or simply not showing up at all (mostly kitchen help) which was never handled and allowed to persist as the Gm and Km did nothing . Overall i would say my case is rare and hopefully doesnt happen at other locations however it seems this is a culture for the 99 with no signs of slowing ...
Pros
few nice guests and some nice employees
Cons
fellow managers upper management lack of true vision and leadership
Great place to work for a short time
Chef (Current Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYOctober 6, 2015
The store is well staffed and the employees are well trained as everyone works hard together to get the job done.When it comes to any emergency of an employee, management can find coverage for if it is required. A typical day consists of making sure items are being prepared on a daily basis and ready to be cooked when items are ordered.
Pros
great team to work with, management helps with any situation if needs be
Cons
lack of communication during peak hours
Great Company so far
Cook (Current Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAAugust 6, 2015
The 99 is a great restaurant to work for. They pay well and treat their employees well. The staff is great and they truly care about their job and the quality of the food they are putting out.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No free food, limited benefit options
Great company to work for
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MAJune 2, 2015
Overall, this is a great place to work and I am so glad I was able to get on with such a great team of people. The best part of the job is certainly the co-workers. When I started working for this company, everyone was very helpful and patient with me until I became adjusted to the new work environment. It is also very nice to be recognized by management for your personal growth and accomplishment within the company. I also enjoy the fact that there isn't any drama at work. Everyone is friendly to each other because we are all on the same team and work together to reach the goal of a good lunch or dinner service for the customer. Another plus is the fact that there are opportunities to move up in the company if that is something you are looking for. You might have to travel to a new store eventually, but you can become a manager if you would like to do that. I am about to list of some things about the company that I would like to see changed, but this should not take away from the positives. Some negative aspects of the job are when you have to cover multiple stations by yourself or have to work by yourself for dinner because management thinks we need less people during the week. When it's the summer and we're busy every day, we need an extra cook on the line. It is also very frustrating when servers/bartenders ring in items we don't have (wrong soup of the day or something we ran out of hours ago) or if they ring in something with a special request and don't come tell us about it until the item has already been cooking for 6 minutes and we need to fire a new order. Finally,  more... it is very upsetting when the prep cook is allowed to go home early and we run out of things during the busy dinner rush. This forces someone on the line to go out back and do prep. This effects our ticket times and adds to everyone's stress of covering for that missing person on the line.  less
Pros
Awesome co-workers on the line, Great working environment, Everyone cares about putting good looking and tasting food in the window
Cons
Covering the line by yourself so other cooks can take smoke breaks, Overtime is strongly discouraged, Small raises, Our Christmas bonus was a pie instead of cash, No time and a half on Sundays or holidays
An energetic workplace that needs work.
Host (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTApril 20, 2015
A lot of playing favorites.
Management was lazy.
Overall job was fun.
Enjoyed co-workers.
Learned about the restaurant industry.
Pros
50% one meal per shift
Cons
No appreciation for hard work, lazy management, lazy co-workers.
Good for hourlies and long upper management
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 3, 2015
simply put there is no accountability for senior management. ODs and RVPs can call you anytime day or night for any reason. Work life balance is there, but only if you're ok with emails phone calls, and texting all day on your "day off."
Pros
stable company
Cons
stagnant company
Prodctive Day Serving
Server (Current Employee) –  Chicopee, MASeptember 23, 2014
Typical day at work would be getting to work about 15 min early to fill out our "shift guides" (small guides that help us with what is going on in the restaurant for the night; selling, 86'd, 68'd, etc.) Then about 5 min before the shift begins management goes over the shift guide in general to also let us know any changes in the work place. Each server is assigned a certain section of tables and a sidework that must be completed when your shift is over and before you leave. Equal rotation is given to the servers so they can get the same amount of tables, server goes over, takes orders, brings drinks, etc. The coworkers at the 99 are very helpful toward on another; they realize things can get a little crazy and when ever one has a little more time than the other, they help each other out. Management at the 99 is also very helpful and understanding not only toward their employees but toward the customers as well. Hardest part would be keeping up when it gets busy, most enjoyable would be the help we receive from one another and having a customer leave completely satisfied.
A great place to work and to learn about guest service and food quality.
Kitchen Manager/ Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MANovember 4, 2013
The 99 is surprisingly demanding considering that it is a chain restaurant. The emphasis on quality and food safety is very high. Most everyone that works for the 99 actually cares about their job and wants to be there. Going to work was an enjoyable experience almost everyday.
Pros
great job security, good support system for all levels of personnel
Cons
very little opportunities for advancement or growth
Service Manager
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Hudson maSeptember 15, 2013
Responsible for team building and day to day operations of the restaurant. Ensuring team members followed recipes and company standards to ensure the customer got a great experience and value for their hard earned money. I really enjoy leading a successful team and helping people acheive their personal and professional goals.
Its was an Okay place to work
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJuly 4, 2013
I loved the people I worked with, but management was really starting to bring the restaurant down. I loved meeting new people every day, but I will admit to not liking getting stiffed on a check. I learned how I am when it comes to being in stressful situations. Again the people I worked with are like Family- I love them to death and I hope to see them again :)
Pros
Money, Family like co-workers, meeting new people
Cons
Stressful environment, management poorly ran the place, stiffed checks
Fast paced workplace.
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Holyoke, MAMarch 19, 2013
Fast paced workplace that requires workers to exceed customer demands, multitask, accurately take orders, adhere to service fundamentals, and thrive in a team based environment.
Fun and Productive Workplace
Host (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MANovember 15, 2012
• Greeted and seated customers as they entered the restaurant, maintained a wait list for the call-ahead-seating, and curb side take-out
Fast paced, high energy, people job
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 2, 2012
Food service, changes happenig all the time
Great to work with food and people
Pros
great staff, nice customers - fun to go to work
Cons
nights, weekends & holidays
Great First restaurant job
Server (Former Employee) –  Lynnfield, MAApril 3, 2012
met great friends and worked in a awesome atmosphere.
would wait 4 to 5 tables at a time as an 18 year old