NiSource Employee Reviews in United States

Demanding but Skilled workplace
District Instrument Mechanic C (Former Employee) –  Strasburg, VAJanuary 21, 2016
Can be a fun place to work. Busy seasons like any place.
I would love to still be working there.
Management still practices nepotism, however.
Best part was working in a different part of the state, or even different state each day.
I learned quite a bit about pipeline operations, different pipeline meters, regulators and gas analysis equipment.
Hardest part of the job was the bureaucratic politics. I'm a mechanic, a troubleshooter. I deal in logic and equipment. People, for me, are hard to deal with, that was the hardest part. The political office stuff.
Pros
Benefits, Training, Good Union Pay, Travel, Freedom to work alone
Cons
Bureaucracy in the office.
Absolutely horrible work environment.
Generation (Former Employee) –  IndianaNovember 12, 2015
The only good thing about this company is the compensation. It is run by bullies and will run you down to nothing. It's the good ole boy company promoted their buddies not the ones that deserve it. Stay away from NIPSCO. People think they hit the lottery when they get hired here, but soon leave when they realize what they have gotten in to.
Pros
Compensation.
Cons
Horrible leadership and unhappy union and front line supervisors.
Great Place to Work
Damage Prevention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 27, 2015
Great all the way around! Great benefits, environment, management care about you. The hours are great and flexible for the most part and lots of OT is available if you want it!
poor managment
Electric Technician (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INMarch 2, 2016
company has poor work ethicts . Hiring contractors that dont need to be used . spending money to line pockets of management . supervisors are puppets and have no clue how to be leaders . very poor communcation to front line employees . Very talented work force but dont know how to use them . this is a company that should be looked in to .
Pros
Cons
to many
Amazing Culture and People
IT Service Delivery Intern (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INMay 10, 2015
The people make it an amazing place to work. Everyone is incredibly brilliant and eager to help each other out. I learned tons and had the opportunities to branch off into other projects as I wanted to. The hardest part of the job is all the meetings; the environment promotes loads of communication, which is great, but the amount of meetings really stacks up. Overall, fantastic place to work, great compensation, great people.
Limited leadership positions
Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 2, 2016
NiSource does not provide good support to groom and mentor employees to advance their careers. Very limited career mobility prospects.
I gained a lot of production and supervisory skills with CNR.
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVApril 10, 2016
Out of Business, acquired by Trianna Energy This is why I started ARK Energy. With the back ground in measurement, well production, well evaluation and supervision, along with my drilling and fracing experience gave me the foundation to start the business.
Great Company to work for
Technology Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 19, 2016
Good company to work for overall.

If culture is important then NiSource is for you. If quick advancement is what you are looking for than look elsewhere.
Pros
Great Culture, Good people, Benefits
Cons
Slow Moving advancement, Negative Bias toward Hourly Employees
Excellent progressive company
Security Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INJanuary 18, 2016
NISource is an excellent company and employer with an aggressive outlook on the natural gas transmission industry. Being a multi state company, there is ample room for growth.
Fun place to work and great benefits
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 15, 2015
NiSource offers very competitive salaries and benefits. In corporate finance you are expected to manage your daily work and ensure you meet deadlines. There is overtime at month, quarter, and year end. NiSource is very generous to its employees offering catered lunches and monetary awards for a job well done.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
office politics
Great opportunities
SENIOR REPRESENTATIVE NEW BUSINESS (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 25, 2016
Great work/life balance
Great benefits
There's a lot of opportunity to move up
There's a lot of opportunity to change departments within the company
Great company.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 24, 2016
I have enjoyed my employment at NiSource. They provided me my first job out of college, and I've loved every minute that I've been here.
This is the same as columbia pipeline group
analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 7, 2016
Reorganization does not support the current employees and new employees are often unqualified and not trained well. One two three four five.
Not Worth The Trouble Money Isnt Everything
Retired (Former Employee) –  MerrillvilleOctober 27, 2012
If you only care about making a decent wage and having good benefits this is the company for you.
However, If you would like to work for a company where you are respected and appreciated and that can offer a friendly and safe environment then continue your search for another company to work for that will value you as an employee.

The only ways to succeed at this company is to suck up or to have friends/family in management. I worked for this company for 20 + years and none of the years were enjoyable. Not worth the trouble I got out as soon as I could - Retired Thank God!
Pros
good pay & good benefits
Cons
stressful, unfriendly environment, poor work ethics, micromanagement
miserable place to work
customer service rep (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 12, 2014
I worked here as a temp and my assignment ended earlier this year. I couldn't wait to be done. I hear the benefits are good and pay is decent but the management is horrible. Nasty attitudes, they talk to you like you're nothing. Even the CSRs are terribly rude to the customers. I've never seen that type of behavior accepted at any other call center I've worked at but no one gets in trouble for it. Everyone is miserable here. It's true what they say, money isn't everything
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
management
Productive work environment
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 25, 2015
a typical day of work is to provide Project Management and technical expertise for designing, estimating, constructing, operating and maintaining Gas Transmission and Distribution pipelines, measurement, regulation and related equipment. Also Provide effective project management resources that employ practical, proven project management methodology, tools & techniques and implement new projects on-time and in a successful manner.
Short-term contract
Project/Program Manager (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Merriville, INJune 1, 2015
- Too much frictions between NiSource management team and IBM teams.
- Way too much of finger pointing and blame games.
- Manager for IT Infrastructure made things more difficult then the reality...lack of management skills.
- After the fact, I realized that I wasn't suppose to be there in the first place, a miscommunication between Infrastructure manager and staff firm.
-Did meet some other great folks there.
Pros
It was a short contract
Cons
I was a monkey in the middle betweeen IBM and NiSource firing squad.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INNovember 21, 2013
Answer inbound calls in regards to gas and electric. Handle emergency calls about gas leaks, outages, hit lines, and etc. The call center was an ok atmosphere, you had a lot of people that didn't like their job because management would pick on them. The job was not hard you just had some customers that were rude and unpleasant.
Pros
good benefits and pay
Cons
management and the favoritisim
Blatant acts of discrimination towards minorities.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 22, 2015
A terrible place to work for minorities. The pay is good but the treatment and isolation of minorities is terrible especially in meetings.
Productive and enjoyable workplace environment
Gas Purchase Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 1, 2012
Great company to work with. Awesome benefits, job security, management is very smart but sometimes suppressive, it depends on the department that you are in. Seasoned employees who are always willing to teach and share.