Noble Network Employee Reviews

Stressful environment, poor management, damaging to kids
Staff (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2017
Ignorant policies and expectations written by out of touch white people in power that damage students of color. Implicit Bias driven policies and ignorance towards communities of color. No investment in community or desire for whole student experience.
Help make a difference in students lives. Job security and compensation is very low.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60642July 26, 2017
I've been working at Noble for seven years now. A typical day for me with the students was great. I lectured for 20-30 minutes and we transitioned to working on the project together. I made sure to provide examples while giving them ample time to work. During lab hours I would walk around the classroom and check in with each student while also getting the time to build meaningful relationships. The hardest part about the job is the demand the overall network puts on teachers, while underpaying them. There is a high teacher turnover because of the extreme pressure and little compensation. I've also witnessed many teachers fired throughout the year along with subjects being replaced.
Pros
Students
Cons
Job security
Depends on the Campus
Disciplinarian (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 13, 2017
If you go to a school that appreciate you, and you bring value, work life will be great. If you're at a campus that is just looking to fill a position and can care less about advancing you because they don't see value, that's when things are hard. Make sure you get the full knowledge of the school you're applying for!! Some campuses pay more for the exact same position, and times have less work. Do your research.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Work load, unrealistic expectations
Passionate co-workers
Campus Operation Leader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2017
I love the people that I work with. Everyone is willing to take their shirts off of their backs for any of our students, but the management has changed and we have become a reactive environment. It does not feel good because the consequences fall on the back of the kids.
Pros
loving environment
Cons
Reactive solutions
Awesome Place to work
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2017
Believes in what is best for the students. Expects the best out of employees. Believes in discipline. Believes in strong academics. Believes in building a strong culture. Excellent schools
Great place to work!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 5, 2017
Noble supports their staff with a culture that celebrates hard work and achievement. I come to work everyday feeling supported and knowing that we are all working towards providing students with opportunities to succeed in the classroom and beyond!
Pros
Goal oriented, Team mentality, Professional Development, Ongoing support, Network discounts, Traditional school breaks (summer, holiday break, spring break)
Cons
Difficult work, long hours
No Excuses Charter School, tons of work, gets students to college
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2017
Noble teachers are expected to put in long hours and do whatever it takes to get their students to college. Many Noble students are low-income, most of them are minority students who will be first generation college students. Despite being open since 1999, there is not codified curriculum or lessons so teachers spend inordinate amounts of time planning and creating lessons from scratch. Policies change each year and there is high turnover among teachers and other staff. Unlike many traditional Chicago Public Schools, Noble School buildings are modern, air conditioned and in working order. Teachers and staff are issued lap tops and classrooms are equipped with projectors and document cameras. Paper is supplied for copies and copiers are usually working. While the discipline code is very strict, it ensures that students are quiet and listening and able to learn during lessons.
Pros
safe and clean buildings, focus on academics, strict discipline code, well resourced with technology and supplies
Cons
teachers are evaluated on student test scores, many students transfer due to not making promotional requirements, low compensation, high teacher turnover
Rewarding and positive workplace!
Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 20, 2017
I have worked for Noble for almost 2 years and love it. The culture of my school is amazing and we are met positively by our students and administration everyday. We are often encouraged to attend professional developments to better our teaching, which I have found to be a tremendous help.
Pros
Attentive administration
High expectations for students and staff.
College Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2017
Noble holds very high expectations for students and staff, which leads to a very demanding work environment. Noble staff members are very hard-working and dedicated. Culture seems to vary by school, but the general framework is the same across all campuses.
Driving student success
Learning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pritzker College PrepFebruary 5, 2017
I work hard to help students learn success in school and life. As a network, we strive to enable students to make choices that will benefit them in their post-secondary life. I learned that each student intrinsically wants to be successful. Helping students manage expectations is a daily effort on their part and on my part.

The school culture helps students focus on learning. The teachers and staff are supportive. While the work/life balance is hard some days, the best moments come when a scholar "gets it"--usually followed by a "ahh, now I see what to do!"
Pros
Love the students and colleagues
Cons
Need flexibility in work/life balance
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2017
I have worked at Noble for 6 years and it has been a very rewarding experience. Everyone at Noble is dedicated and puts in the long hours necessary to accomplish what it takes to get the job done. Although it does take a toll on your work life balance the results are worth it.
Pros
Benefits and generous PTO
Cons
Work life balance
Great environment; hard work pays off
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2017
I've worked at Noble for the past few years. It's a typical charter school that gets atypical results - classrooms are safe, management is resourceful and supportive, and kids are awesome. You learn about managing stress levels and balancing what's to be done with what's feasible. Hardest part of the job is working with families that aren't bought into the school culture and strict discipline system. The best part of the job is, always, the kids and the people I work with.
Pros
Autonomy, upward mobility, great results
Cons
Long days, always more that can be done at the end of the day
Lots of hard working and fun people
Learning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 27, 2017
While this job can be overwhelming at times, it is also a good place to work. The work is tough, but it is also very rewarding. There is plenty of opportunity to make new friends as well as improve your teaching and move up. The hardest part is the work life balance. The most enjoyable part is being with the kids.
Pros
nice people, hard workers, friendly
Cons
work life balance is tough
Great work environment but exhausting
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 13, 2017
I learned a lot working here. I was given additional responsibilities that helped me gain experience outside of my job description.
Pros
free lunch, good benefits, bonuses
Cons
short breaks, work life balance
Satisfying place to work surrounded by passionate staff and teachers
Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2016
I have grown immensely at the Noble Network both as a Technology Manager and as a person. It is a work environment that really focuses on getting the best out of their employees so we can give the best to our students. Most days are incredibly long and taxing which makes it difficult to have a work-life balance. However, I love the people I work with and for, so coming into work and being surrounded by passionate and charismatic individuals makes the job a lot easier.
Pros
Zero to no micro managing
Cons
Work-Life Balance
Fun Place with fulfilling opportunities
Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2016
Noble is a fun place to work and it provides great experience. Upward mobility is all on you as an employee. I would say that the worst aspect about Noble is the demand that they require. This job is the relationship killer.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Work life balance is terrible
As Noble as NOBLE can be! Great experience!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 25, 2016
I was impressed the first day! I have been witness to the core value education that has been missing in Chicago's school system for decades. And I am glad to be a part of it!
Pros
The students.
Supportive and Rewarding Teaching Role at Noble Street College Prep
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2016
At Noble Street College Prep and the larger Noble Network of Charter Schools, a typical day involves hundreds of chances to positively impact the lives of students. Our kids deserve the best education possible, especially given that many of them arrive underserved and behind grade level.

As a teacher and leader, I constantly find satisfaction in the work that I do to help my students grow academically and socially. And, after a challenging day's work with kids, I rely upon my like-minded colleagues for recharge and support.
Pros
Supportive Administration, Inspiring Colleagues, Students
Cons
Difficult Work-Life Balance, Comparatively Low Wages
Challenging but inspiring
Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2016
Working at Noble, gives me the chance to be surrounded by staff and students who work relentlessly towards one common goal: giving each of our students a wide array of opportunities and choices for college and their future. This seemingly lofty goal becomes achievable because of the day-to-day work that is done. I am constantly motivated to become a better teacher because of the commitment of my colleagues, the hard work done by our students, and the belief that even my little effort when matched (and normally exceeded) by others can change lives. This is an amazing place to work if you want to be inspired to be your best self.
Pros
Collegues, community, knowing you have an impact
Cons
Maintaining work/life balance
Best school I've worked at
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2016
I work at Noble Street College Prep, the original campus of the Noble Network of Charter Schools. Having worked in education for over a decade, and having worked as a teacher in four different schools, I can easily say this is the best school I have ever worked in. I have nothing but the utmost respect for all of my colleagues, all of whom are clearly very dedicated to giving our students the best possible education. I've also never had more faith in the administrative team of a school I've worked at. They do a great job of balancing what is best for students and what is best for teachers and provide an incredibly family-friendly work environment, especially for those with young children.
Pros
Family-friendly, great colleagues, amazing administration
Cons
Like in all teaching jobs, the work/life balance can be a struggle

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Noble Network. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2