Noble Network Employee Reviews

No Excuses Charter School, tons of work, gets students to college
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2017
Noble teachers are expected to put in long hours and do whatever it takes to get their students to college. Many Noble students are low-income, most of them are minority students who will be first generation college students. Despite being open since 1999, there is not codified curriculum or lessons so teachers spend inordinate amounts of time planning and creating lessons from scratch. Policies change each year and there is high turnover among teachers and other staff. Unlike many traditional Chicago Public Schools, Noble School buildings are modern, air conditioned and in working order. Teachers and staff are issued lap tops and classrooms are equipped with projectors and document cameras. Paper is supplied for copies and copiers are usually working. While the discipline code is very strict, it ensures that students are quiet and listening and able to learn during lessons.
Pros
safe and clean buildings, focus on academics, strict discipline code, well resourced with technology and supplies
Cons
teachers are evaluated on student test scores, many students transfer due to not making promotional requirements, low compensation, high teacher turnover
High expectations for students and staff.
College Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2017
Noble holds very high expectations for students and staff, which leads to a very demanding work environment. Noble staff members are very hard-working and dedicated. Culture seems to vary by school, but the general framework is the same across all campuses.
Driving student success
Learning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pritzker College PrepFebruary 5, 2017
I work hard to help students learn success in school and life. As a network, we strive to enable students to make choices that will benefit them in their post-secondary life. I learned that each student intrinsically wants to be successful. Helping students manage expectations is a daily effort on their part and on my part.

The school culture helps students focus on learning. The teachers and staff are supportive. While the work/life balance is hard some days, the best moments come when a scholar "gets it"--usually followed by a "ahh, now I see what to do!"
Pros
Love the students and colleagues
Cons
Need flexibility in work/life balance
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2017
I have worked at Noble for 6 years and it has been a very rewarding experience. Everyone at Noble is dedicated and puts in the long hours necessary to accomplish what it takes to get the job done. Although it does take a toll on your work life balance the results are worth it.
Pros
Benefits and generous PTO
Cons
Work life balance
Great environment; hard work pays off
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2017
I've worked at Noble for the past few years. It's a typical charter school that gets atypical results - classrooms are safe, management is resourceful and supportive, and kids are awesome. You learn about managing stress levels and balancing what's to be done with what's feasible. Hardest part of the job is working with families that aren't bought into the school culture and strict discipline system. The best part of the job is, always, the kids and the people I work with.
Pros
Autonomy, upward mobility, great results
Cons
Long days, always more that can be done at the end of the day
Lots of hard working and fun people
Learning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 27, 2017
While this job can be overwhelming at times, it is also a good place to work. The work is tough, but it is also very rewarding. There is plenty of opportunity to make new friends as well as improve your teaching and move up. The hardest part is the work life balance. The most enjoyable part is being with the kids.
Pros
nice people, hard workers, friendly
Cons
work life balance is tough
Great work environment but exhausting
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 13, 2017
I learned a lot working here. I was given additional responsibilities that helped me gain experience outside of my job description.
Pros
free lunch, good benefits, bonuses
Cons
short breaks, work life balance
Satisfying place to work surrounded by passionate staff and teachers
Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2016
I have grown immensely at the Noble Network both as a Technology Manager and as a person. It is a work environment that really focuses on getting the best out of their employees so we can give the best to our students. Most days are incredibly long and taxing which makes it difficult to have a work-life balance. However, I love the people I work with and for, so coming into work and being surrounded by passionate and charismatic individuals makes the job a lot easier.
Pros
Zero to no micro managing
Cons
Work-Life Balance
Fun Place with fulfilling opportunities
Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2016
Noble is a fun place to work and it provides great experience. Upward mobility is all on you as an employee. I would say that the worst aspect about Noble is the demand that they require. This job is the relationship killer.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Work life balance is terrible
As Noble as NOBLE can be! Great experience!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 25, 2016
I was impressed the first day! I have been witness to the core value education that has been missing in Chicago's school system for decades. And I am glad to be a part of it!
Pros
The students.
Supportive and Rewarding Teaching Role at Noble Street College Prep
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2016
At Noble Street College Prep and the larger Noble Network of Charter Schools, a typical day involves hundreds of chances to positively impact the lives of students. Our kids deserve the best education possible, especially given that many of them arrive underserved and behind grade level.

As a teacher and leader, I constantly find satisfaction in the work that I do to help my students grow academically and socially. And, after a challenging day's work with kids, I rely upon my like-minded colleagues for recharge and support.
Pros
Supportive Administration, Inspiring Colleagues, Students
Cons
Difficult Work-Life Balance, Comparatively Low Wages
Challenging but inspiring
Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2016
Working at Noble, gives me the chance to be surrounded by staff and students who work relentlessly towards one common goal: giving each of our students a wide array of opportunities and choices for college and their future. This seemingly lofty goal becomes achievable because of the day-to-day work that is done. I am constantly motivated to become a better teacher because of the commitment of my colleagues, the hard work done by our students, and the belief that even my little effort when matched (and normally exceeded) by others can change lives. This is an amazing place to work if you want to be inspired to be your best self.
Pros
Collegues, community, knowing you have an impact
Cons
Maintaining work/life balance
Best school I've worked at
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2016
I work at Noble Street College Prep, the original campus of the Noble Network of Charter Schools. Having worked in education for over a decade, and having worked as a teacher in four different schools, I can easily say this is the best school I have ever worked in. I have nothing but the utmost respect for all of my colleagues, all of whom are clearly very dedicated to giving our students the best possible education. I've also never had more faith in the administrative team of a school I've worked at. They do a great job of balancing what is best for students and what is best for teachers and provide an incredibly family-friendly work environment, especially for those with young children.
Pros
Family-friendly, great colleagues, amazing administration
Cons
Like in all teaching jobs, the work/life balance can be a struggle
Great, Dedicated Staff Doing Important Work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2016
Review of Noble Street Charter Prep Campus:

The co-workers are superb - every teacher here would be the super star at an average school. I came here specifically to work on my own classroom teaching, and the instructional coaches visit my classroom and debrief with me weekly without impacting a performance review. This makes me WANT to invite them to any classes I'm having issues with in order to make learning better for the students. Outstanding.

The administration is kind, approachable, and very fair. One admin summed up how teachers and admins differ here: "we are doing equally important jobs, both trying to have the best outcomes for students." As far as I have seen, they live this, and I really feel their support in my classroom.

While the demands on your time are huge, they are always made with the students in mind.

Also, free Crossfit in the building twice per week that a mixed staff attends! Convenient to attend and great fun!
Wouldn't Recommend to my worst enemy
Disciplinarian (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 12, 2015
Definitely not a company to work for. The schools are dictatorships. When someone gets fired, all of their work falls back on the person who was next in line. It wasn't evenly divided. Co-workers weren't the friendliest. The principal is a piece of work. There isn't any support for you & they don't care about your children.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
Review for UICCP, a campus of Noble Network Schools
English Teacher & Student Advisor at UICCP (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2015
The leadership at this school (UICCP) is phenomenal - can't be beat. They have a masterful strategic plan that is at the forefront of everyone's minds when making decisions.

There is a LOT of room for leadership and advancement. It's almost guaranteed that if you want a leadership role, then after two years there will be something for you. Sometimes it can happen after just one year and I've seen people in leadership (department chair, etc) in their first year.

The teaching environment is phenomenal because of the Noble system of discipline. If you care about teaching your content well, you can do that at UICCP.

Probably the best part about the job, though, is the impact you have as an advisor. When my advisees graduated, I knew that I had accomplished what I set out to do: make a life-changing impact on young people to help them make a positive, multi-generational change.
Excellent Experience at Focused & Driven School
High School Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2015
I work at the Golder Campus of the Noble Network of Charter Schools. I love my school! Teachers have manageable schedules with ample prep time and are coaches in supportive ways by a great staff. Administration are similarly supportive as they encourage teachers to strive for high goals & to constantly improve their practices. I love working here!
Pros
Clear goals & expectations, Great support, Awesome culture
Cons
Work/Life balance has been hard (pretty high stress!)
Great Environment for Great Teachers
Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 12, 2015
The Noble Network is a great network of schools full of some of the top teachers from all over the US.

The Network is very different from a traditional high school, and from an employee standpoint, it is run much more like an efficient business. Teachers come first, the administration will always have your back and you are given an environment to do your best teaching in. The school has a great culture throughout, and in turn, you can focus on doing the best teaching you can.

The school is very focused around collaboration and in turn spends ample time working on teamwork and in giving their teachers plenty of PD opportunities.

The school also has a big focus on results, and in turn, can be overwhelming to some and will require a significant amount of work. However, it is because of this that Noble is to have the highest performing nonselective high schools in the city of Chicago.
Pros
Teacher Support, Administration, Teacher Appreciation, & School Culture
Cons
Work/life Balance - This is a very demanding profession
Very dynamic, unique teaching staff.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  ChicagoMay 3, 2014
The upside is the culture is serious about fostering critical thinking and students accomplish great work. The town hall meetings and extracurricular events e.g. sophomores going out of state to visit colleges creates amazing opportunities for students. However, the vast majority of teachers and administrators are in their 20's or early 30's, and in some cases lack understanding and judgment of the real world pressures students from the inner city face.
Pros
A culture of fostering hard work and students achieve great success
Cons
There are some overly academic authoritarian teachers who can lack real world judgement
Amazing collaboration among teachers to get to a common goal
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2013
Every quarter, teachers at Noble meet together to share strategies, brainstorm new methods, and grow as teachers. I have never worked at a place with such motivated people that continuously want to get better. The collaboration within my campus, as well out among all the campuses, is refreshing. I have loved working here the past four years!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Noble Network. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4