Nokia Employee Reviews

Advancing mobile telecommunications company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJanuary 19, 2017
My career with Nokia began in customer service. When I left to have/raise children, five years later, I was the Executive Assistant to the President of Nokia Mobile Phones.
My appropriately challenging and varied workload was recognized with advancements, increasing responsibilities, and exposure to executives and business strategies.
The hardest part of this job was leaving it.
Good Place to work but still some hurders
RF Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Murray Hill, NJDecember 30, 2016
The benefits are great but management needs to improve. Mobile Networks as a whole has been struggling. There is no clear way for advancement currently in the company as there is a lot organizational structure changes going on.
Benefits
Cons
Managements and Culture
Opportunties for development and growth
Business Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Virtual OfficeFebruary 3, 2017
New direction with the merger has growing pains, but the restructuring is positioning the company as one of the best telecommunications company world wide. Culture is one if integrity and doing things the right way. Great place to work.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Can be long hours if in a management level position
Navteq was perfect. Then they were purchased by Nokia.
SYSTEMS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDAugust 7, 2016
Nokia basically ran this company into the ground. The restructuring made sense, from an external perspective. Unfortunately, there was very little attention paid to specific job skills for the company's proprietary software. Soon it was deemed that overseas production facilities could do the same job for less. They could not, and quality suffered. Nevertheless, scores of the most qualified people had already been sent packing. Quality languished. The company lost touch with its employees and the job culture deteriorated. Middle management became focused on pleasing upper management. Creativity collapsed and was replaced by a yes-men atmosphere. Long term dedicated employees still strove to make the company profitable, but under Nokia's mismanagement the stock lost three quarters of its value.
Pros
Relatively good pay and benefits for the area.
Cons
No job security, perks and the best insurance plan curtailed.
Good Employer in a Tough Industry
Customer Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 6, 2017
Nokia is a very good employer.
Good compensation/benefits.
Good work/life balance.

Unfortunately, Nokia is in a tough industry where a lot of consolidation is going on. So job security is questionable.
Pros
compensation/benefits; share-in-the-success stock purchase program
Cons
poor job security
Productive and fun place to work with challenging management team
Controller, Sales & Marketing (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 9, 2017
Nokia is a great company to work for, the management team are very laid back yet expectations are high. The environment and culture is very diverse.
Pros
great benefit with 401k matching up to 8%
Cons
good people, bad management and no job security
Customer Technical program manager (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 1, 2016
people are nice and very supportive. Good benefits. But very poor management. And constant layoff. . No effort to retain good people. No job security.
Pros
nice people, nice culture
Cons
costant layoffs, no job security
Nokia is in constant state of fluctuation. If you are looking for a place to work where you can feel secure about your job, I do not recommend Nokia.
Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 14, 2016
I have mixed feelings about Nokia after having worked there for 5 years. It is a company that has taken great risks, at the expensive of its employees, to try to become the global leader in the wireless communication industry. It is a highly-ethical company that does business with customers the right way. I believe that some competitors are not as ethical as Nokia causing Nokia to lose business to its competitors. This forces Nokia to focus on profits, which adversely affects customer satisfaction and employee moral. If you are considering a job at Nokia, I recommend that you keep your resume up-to-date because there is very little job security.
Pros
Highly Ethical, competitive salaries
Cons
below average employee benefits, constantly laying off employees
One of the few telecom manufacturing companies left
R&D Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILJuly 29, 2016
Nokia is a very energetic and dynamic company with a clear goal to be number one in the Networks business. Nokia is head quartered in Finland and being an international company not based in the U.S., it's primary goal has been to win major telecom carrier business in the U.S.. Nokia set this direction a few years ago and has stuck to it. Nokia is now positioned well in the U.S. with a major acquisition to achieve success. A good company to work for. Good salary, good benefits, good bonuses. If you like the new open modern office arrangement, Nokia has a great work location for you.
Pros
Great people, good salary and bonus, good benefits but downgrading
Cons
Management overseas and remote, career movement hard without relocation
Great company to work for
Construction Manager/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 28, 2017
fast paced self managed position, management had trust and verification systems in place to check work flow. I highly enjoyed the work for the company, but the compensation was not acceptable after Ericsson services took over their operations.
Pros
Sprint was a great company to work for
Cons
Ericsson Services managment
IT Business Partner / Global Client Service Managment
VP Operations (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 15, 2016
The role as the IT liaison for all Nokia Business Groups (Mobile Networks, Fixed Networks, IP/Optics Networks, Applications & Analytics), TECH IT, and Nokia Shanghai Bell responsible for E2E ownership of the relationship between IT and all Business Groups. In addition this role manages the Global Client Service Management (GCSM) organization which is geographically focused supporting 100,000+ employee end users globally. Providing E2E view across IT service offerings from PCs to all applications. First escalation point for production and operational issues as well as ensure rapid resolution and risk mitigation of all issues.
Pros
Proactive role for IT to ensure all stakeholders in Nokia are cared for in the appropriate manner.
Cons
Can be challenging when conflicting priorities across the business exist, Not an issue but requires this role to proactively solve issues as they arise.
Excellent work/life balance
SW Release Test Manager (Former Employee) –  OuluNovember 16, 2016
You really can manage your work/life balance at Nokia. I enjoyed my time at Nokia. Salary in Finland is currently above average. A lot of internal trainings available.
Merger Pains
Installation (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 17, 2017
Before the Nokia purchase of Alcatel-Lucent (ALU), ALU leaned out and created a work environment that was hard on those that remained. After the Nokia and ALU merger, there was overlap in job functions of many departments. With continuous layoffs over the past few years. Most employees are in a "watch your own back" style of behavior and not a Team work mentality. Sad to see it this way.
Pros
Salaries & Benefits
Cons
You are just a number to such a large organization. Hard to feel appreciated.
Too Many Bosses
Telecommunications Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 17, 2016
We used to (When we were formerly GTE Automatic Electric) go into an empty building and build a complete phone office turnkey, with only about 15 minutes a day devoted to time reporting and writing down (report) what we accomplished that day, but after Lucent, then Alcatel, then Nokia took us over we spent about 4 hours doing various paperwork,(time, progress reports, test reports, training, and the list goes on and on.
The job went from lovable to a high pressure job where (I thought) we wasted our talents on paperwork instead of doing our job.
Pros
Good pay and benefits.
Cons
Way too much paperwork and pressure.
A great and fun career
Senior Communications System Technician (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 11, 2017
Over my career of 30 years I've basically worked for 4 different companies while preforming the same duties. I started in 1986 for AT&T and was spun off to Lucent Technologies in the 90's. Later to be acquired by Alcatel (ALU) and finally to be bought out by Nokia in 2016.

In all of this time my duties have changed from being a employee who would concentrate on physical installation of communications equipment/systems and the inter-connectivity to someone who is in charge of not only the installation of the equipment but someone who configures and tests the systems and preforms major transitions.

I was able to work with not only great co-workers but multiple operating companies and other equipment vendors.

Being able to work for a number of operating companies and Internet providers in many customer locations kept the job from being repetitious. It also gave me the experience to meet different customer goals on a wide variety of products. I've worked in many different environments: Central offices, Data centers, NOCC's, Mobile Switching Centers and Cell site huts to name a few.
Pros
Varied work locations
Cons
Off shift maintenance windows
Great Experience
Quality Assurance Manager and Customer SPOC (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJuly 6, 2016
Gained great experience at Alcatel-Lucent and it was an adventure for sure. My best experiences were when my management let go of my reins and allowed me to be innovative with database automation and allow me to work autonomously. I created national things and expanded them to global reality with the help of a programmer. All I needed was a steering wheel and a gas pedal! I had great co-workers and willing management across organizations to work with to create quality initiatives that resulted with "Best Practices" and quality improvement. It got me a 2010 Global Award for Quality Excellence. The overall culture has always been a "Right First Time" mentality because customers were always top priority for us all. Having started under Lucent Technologies and worked through the merges of Alcatel-Lucent and recently Nokia, I have to say that it was a great ride while it lasted.

One thing that is always predictable is "Change". And sometimes we need to make change happen so we can grow and improve. Through experience comes wisdom.
New to Nokia was fALU
Consumption Manager (Current Employee) –  virutal njMay 11, 2016
I just started at Nokia as my former company fALU has been acquired recently. I worked at fALU for 18 years.

typical day --> Long hours
what you learned --> work hard, always promote others in a positive light.
management --> strong in most cases
your co-workers --> nervous because of layoffs
the hardest part --> keeping focus with constant company changes (like when ALU was bought by Nokia recently).
most enjoyable - trust from management, flexibility, loving the work you do is motivating.
Pros
flexible
Cons
job security
Dwindling Company
Sr Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 1, 2017
This industry is shrinking day by day with lots of process becoming automated.
Company is surviving by M&A.
Do not see a good future for this company and also for the workers here.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Layoffs. Does a lot of hiring and Layoff's
Finance organization
Finance Associate - Tax (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 23, 2017
I have been through several mergers and acquisitions I have never seen one move so fast.
Everyday another new way to do something.
Changes - fast pace can be long hours if you are in the finance group.
Internal and external audit groups will drive you nuts. You can not get it to them fast enough. They love 16 hour days.
Pros
me it is just the people I have worked with for 20 years
Cons
too much stress
The best place I worked at in my career
Research and Development Test Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 25, 2017
I was in the R&D Test part of Nokia where we comprehensibly performed numerous type of testing on Mobile phones. The Hardware test Validations labs were developed into a world class certified ISO17025 test labs.
Pros
Mixture of cultures from all over the World. Independent thinking was encouraged.
Cons
Nokia shut it down in 2007

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nokia. Our community is ready to answer.