Nomura Employee Reviews

very nice
Manager (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 24, 2017
This was a good company to work for until 2008, I don't know if after the crisis Nomura was able to recapture its magic. I have great memories of that place.
Pros
The talent around you.
Cons
the 2008 crisis
Financial Services firm
Executive Assistant - Floater (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2017
Nice experience for the time I temped there. Coworkers were friendly and did there job. Management was always nice. I am thankful for the opportunity of employment.
routine daily activities
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2017
great experience but I want to do and learn more.
not very challenging.
you are kept in a box with little room fro growth and advancement is not encouraged for support staff.
Pros
job security for the most part
Cons
no room for advancement
Productive and fun place to work.
Client Onboarding Manager - Emerging Markets (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2017
Great place to work. I've met many great people and have grown in my career. I look forward to growing more and expanding my horizon within or outside the firm.
Pros
Fun place to work.
Cons
Takes a long time to be promoted.
productive
Sr. QA, Ref Data (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2017
team work. releases always late. Poor management. lack of communication. relationship between teams are not so good.health benefit was good.work culture good.
Great Benefits and Compensation
Senior Systems Analyst - Global Markets (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 26, 2017
Working at Nomura has been great a experience. Being there for 7 years, I was able to significantly improve my skill set. The company generously paid for courses in VB.NET, Linux, VBA, Managment, TCP/IP and Powershell.

I loved the influence of the Japanese culture, however, this started to wane as many of the execs were reassigned to the Tokyo office.
Pros
Sponsoring continuing education, Excellent Healthcare, Great pay/Work-life-balance
Cons
Roles not clearly defined, Upward movement difficult
Toxic work environment
Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 26, 2017
Management only worried about managing up. Employee morale low and very high turnover rate. Low pay compared to other banks. Promotions based on who you know and not quality of work.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Fast paced environment
Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 6, 2017
It was a really fast paced environment but none the less I enjoyed it. It was my first internship and they taught me what it means to be in the corporate world.
Pros
god learning experience
Cons
fast paced beyond anything else at time
Good culture and well communicated strategy
Consultant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  LondonApril 11, 2017
Excellent facilities and encouragement of positive work life balance. Management clear on communication of strategy. Good opportunities for career progression.
Difficult yet very informative working environment.
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2017
I was very afraid starting off but the employees there were very helpful in training and helping out the new intern. It was a very fast paced environment but an overall incredible learning experience since I aim to be in the financial industry.
Very hard to balance work and life - long hours
Senior Business Analyst/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2017
Hardest part of the job is not doing the work for your clients but pleasing your managers. Work is not balanced for certain departments - very long hours.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Compensation is not based on your merits but how close you are to senior manager.
Investment Bank
Whole Loan Admin- Mortgage Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 25, 2017
Foreign Investment bank . Typical day involved many repetitive tasks. Good co-workers willing to help. Competitive compensation but lack of commitment to some investment products when markets became difficult.
Pros
good benefits-nice cafeteria
Cons
Commitment to stay invested in all products
Mass layoff
Technology and Media Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 21, 2017
I was part of a mass layoff in their New York office. Was not a pleasant experience. Got crushed for a year and received less than respectable compensation.
administrative assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2017
I worked on Wall Street. Dealt with high volume of numbers, codes, figures, and banks. The hardest part of the jobs were the demanding hours. My work day began with printing hundreds of documents, updating spreadsheets manually. The work day ended with balancing accounts.
Pros
pay
Cons
hours
Small Company
Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJMarch 1, 2017
Company was small and it was the remote location, Hard to manage with japanese users but at the end you have to finish the job.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
never got chance to get a break
Fair place to work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2017
People around you are mostly nice and willing to teach you. However, there doesn't seem to be a lot of opportunities to advance.
Generally fine
Team Lead, Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 25, 2017
Good work life balance, good health care 401K, limited scope for any career growth. Main business in is Japan, so limited interaction to the HQ. Small teams.
A Japanese Investment Bank - broker /dealer start up business in US
Vice President- Controllers (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2017
This investment bank, is still establishing a US presence since 2009

The bank is having difficulty in obtaining a good credit rating, due to the trading environment.

The credit rating makes it difficult to obtain A list clients and therefore it is difficult to increase the client base in the US.

Values newly hired inexperienced undergraduates while it diminishes experienced employees.
Pros
Challenging, exposure to all areas - requires team work
Cons
the level of expertise is lacking in areas, not everyone is teamwork oriented
Always busy
Owner/Manager (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTDecember 12, 2016
I am the owner, therefore biased. This is a very busy custom shop. You never know what you will be working on or how long it will take. This is project oriented and managed by many factors on the job for time use.
Pros
Amazing work
Quality well-educated coworkers
Vice President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2016
Nomura hires well-qualified software development experts across its sites. Its management is often poorly-qualified in the field of personnel management -- more likely just past team and project leads who are keen to exploit their direct-reports
Pros
Coworkers