Nordstrom Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,822 reviews matching the search
If you lack integrity Nordstrom is perfect for you
Department Manager/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 23, 2016
The culture they once had of being customer focused and great to their employees has passed. The Racks are the worse they are short staffed and cannot retain people. They make it incredibly hard for rack associates to make a living. They cut hours and then try to add them just as fast. Full line is going down the tubes and now they are model them after the Racks. Poor sales people get commission taken from them because of there awful return everything policy. Minimum staffing yet the employees are expected to prevent loss and make sales goals. Store managers are jokes and are quick to get rid of department managers if they aren't properly sucking up. I've seen so many qualified managers get asked to step down or have to re prove themselves because they don't know how to structure their oragazintion. It's based on the way you look and who you know. If you lack integrity and have no soul this is the place for you.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Unsteady hours, not enough pay
Best place I've been, but when it comes to higher ups don't expect things to get done
Host/busser/expoditer/bartender (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 22, 2016
I worked there for 15 months before I quit. The staff is fun, you learn so much about food and dining, and it was always a fun day going into work. However, management was messed up, you'd be promised a promotion and 4 months later you're still wondering why you haven't moved up even though people are requesting you to serve them. Go to HR and they won't resolve any issues.
If you can get in at the position you desire, then cheers, get that and don't let go. If you're trying to work your way up, good luck.
The only thing I would change is the horrible, racist, sexist GM I had who always had empty promises and never had the alcohol we needed stocked to provide a fantastic dining experience for our guests.
Pros
Free food! Fun working environment, great gratituity
Cons
Short shifts, bad management
Productive workplace
Chanel Beauty Specialist (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MD 21401July 21, 2016
Providing customer service, selling, completing daily business reports.
Management is about business first,but very understanding about work.
The most enjoyable part is meeting different clientele
Pros
Meeting customers
Cons
Need up to 33 hrs to have healthcare
Great place to work.
Logistics (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJuly 20, 2016
Working at Nordstrom was great. I was able to gain valuable retail and logistics experience. Additionally I was able to meet a lot of people interested in the fashion industry.
Fun-loving work environment
Store Administrator (Current Employee) –  Charter Township of Clinton, MIJuly 20, 2016
Nordstrom empowers their employees to be curious and seek opportunity especially when associates are mobile. They offer competitive benefits and are very transparent in the development of their talent.
Opportuniy for advancement
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJuly 20, 2016
One thing Nordstrom's taught me is that I can be better than the day before. I worked for this company since I was 16, i didn't know a lot about high end fashion, but being in the area showed me a lot. The diversity was by far my favor about the company and they promote from within. I enjoyed ever opportunity i had with this company. The hardest par about the job I would have to say being a personal stylist assistant at 16 that was by far my hardest yet rewarding challenge.
Pros
Promotions from within
Typical Nordstrom Day..
Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 19, 2016
Continue to set the bar, wow our customers, while showing genuine appreciation for their continued support and loyalty, and always remember to continue to outpace our last "win".
You can write your paycheck
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 19, 2016
There are always sales to be made as foot traffic is very good. The most enjoyable part of the job is my co workers they are a good group of guys.
Pros
vendor contest several times a year good foot traffic.
Cons
the hours on weekends the store stays open way too late.
Swim don't Tread and you will grow.
Salon Shoes Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 19, 2016
I learned an amazing amount of skills in terms of running a business, and customer service.

Beware getting caught up with behind the scenes drama and you can go far.

Control the things you can control and forget the rest.
Pros
Great Discount, and Benefits
Cons
Retail Hours, Scheduling of Vacations challenging as a manager
Loved working here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNJuly 18, 2016
Best company! I was 4 months pregnant when I began working here! The managers are great! I worked until I had my baby! Last day working April 28th, I had my son May 1st! The company also had a mothers room I was able to pump at work. I worked at the Nordstrom Rack in Brentwood, Tennessee.
very good place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJuly 18, 2016
Nordstrom Rack was very enjoyable and work intensive. Co-workers nice, and the management even better. Hardest part of the job was the long hours in retail. Most enjoyable part was dealing with the public, which I love.
Pros
the staff
Cons
very long hours
Great For Someone who Loves Sales
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Short Hills, NJJuly 18, 2016
My typical work day begins with going over daily sales goals and event goals. I help a lot of customers and make phone calls to get customers to come in and shop with me. There is a really high turnover in management. Im my two years of working there I had 4 department managers. It not easy to get promoted either. I believe it easier to come in as a manager.
Pros
discount, coworkers, fun products
Cons
healthcare, pay schedule, event goals
Good job
Women's Department/ Fitting room attendent (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 17, 2016
Fun, decent place to work. My only complaints are that it is really hard to get time off and they aren't very flexible with scheduling. My coworkers were great, the store manager was pretty accommodating and understanding. Nordstrom takes great care of their employees and it's fairly easy to move up in the company.
Pros
Good company, nice people you work with, good compensation
Cons
Hard to get time off
It is a wonderful company to work for.
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 17, 2016
Fast paced but fun.
Time management and organizational skills.
Tough but I learned allot.
Best team that i have ever worked with.
Very long hours.
Holiday setup.
Wonderful
Business Manager for Yves Saint Laurent Beauty (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJuly 16, 2016
learned a lot and made a lot of great memories. great surroundings. positive atmosphere. loved my job everyone is happy and cheerful
Its very unprofessional
Office assistant (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJuly 16, 2016
The place was just full of old women on a power trip in a high school type setting. Dont work here if you want workplace advancement.
Nordstrom Rack Duties
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 16, 2016
When I start my day at Nordstrom Rack I first check for the first 30 mintues to find any single shoes for customers that have left their information for that shoe, then when I find it we call all customers for the can"t finds which is call the single shoes to let them know if it was found then.Then I also may have the task for that day to size floor an change signs on floor, ring up customers an open accounts find product for customers. What I learn from management is that a good leader teaches by example. what I mean is that to learn an excel you first learn from your leaders that teachs you the way, an that all co workers have to work together as a team because as a team we up hold the department even when one of us call out for illness or lost of family member. The hards part of the job is dealing with different types of clients because some times people can come to you upset an want to return something an it has been pass the return police an you have to help them to understand that. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get a chance to meet all kinds of people.
Pros
I get a hour to half hour lunch break. make $5.00 on open accounts or denied accounts.
Cons
Sometimes not having enough staffing
Great job with many benefits!
At Home Sales (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 16, 2016
I Have been working for Nordstrom and can only say nothing but great things about the job.
Co workers are amazing from the day you start and whenever you have a question they are more than happy to help in whatever efforts you want to accomplish.
It could be a movement in the company or just help getting to make more money in the company.
They make you feel like you will succeed in that environment.
Pros
Hour Lunches. Great promotions. Great opportunities
Cons
During Holidays it can become a little hectic but nothing too bad
Great company
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJuly 15, 2016
Great company and coworkers to work with. Benefits, raises, and promotions offered. Hours were great worked full-time. Enjoyable job.
Great family environment like place
Selling Manager Shoes Dept (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 15, 2016
Great place to work. Allowed to take care of almost every situation. Opportunity to grow and increase compensation and benefits. Long hours but fun working. Taking care of customers and coworkers was the norm. The chance to grow by developing business pans and the support to meet and exceed the goals.
Great coworkers that became close friends. The challenges were opportunities to excel, and having fun everyday. Always wanted to go to work everyday. The thrill of achieving and exceeding results.
Pros
Great incentive programs like cash, gift cards, travel
Cons
Cutback in support ares