Nordstrom
1,377 reviews

Nordstrom Employer Reviews

Benefical
Seasonal Sales Support (Former Employee), Lynnwood, WAApril 14, 2014
Pros: good company, help employers out
Cons: very fast paced, on feet all day, got hot inside building
It was my first time working and Nordstroms was a great place to work seasonally. It was a bit intimidating at first with all the other workers and being so busy during the holidays. My typical day at work usually started at 7:30 or 8 and I has eight hour shifts which included a one hour lunch break. I think that because it was the holiday season everyone – more... was overwhelmed and a bit stressed so the management was a bit distracted. It taught me to work hard and be more independent, instead of having someone tell me everything I had to do I had to work and do a lot of things on my own. The hardest part was how much walking I had to do and the blisters that formed on my feet. The most enjoyable was probably the fact I was working at my favorite store. – less
Great Learning Experience
Savvy Department Manager (Current Employee), Miami, FLApril 14, 2014
I was able to learn a lot and grow within the company. I learned how to hire, train, and grow my employees. I was given the opportunity to travel and launch new departments with the company.
Productive and Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 14, 2014
Nordstrom is a high end fashion industry in which they go by the inverted pyramid which means Customers always are the first priority then it goes down from there to employees to the management. I loved this job because it was actually all it said it was it wasn't a lie. They showed how much they cared about customers daily not only that but the management – more... shows care towards the employees there is not one time i felt uneasy here. Nordstrom is the best place I've likewise they have the best benefits. – less
Very interesting place
Administrator (Current Employee), Nashville, TNApril 14, 2014
however management leaves much to be desired... Turnover in the selling departments seems to be unusually high, however the support teams generally stay rooted. Salespeople's paychecks are commission based, so really, you make your own paycheck.
Excellent company to work for
Lead Regional Delivery Room (Current Employee), Portland, ORApril 14, 2014
Great company. learn so much about business and management.
Sales
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Cerritos, CAApril 14, 2014
Employees are the best part of the job, everyone is very social and friendly.
Energetic and competitive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Dunwoody, GAApril 13, 2014
Pros: freedom, discounts
Nordstrom was a great company. Nordstrom always promoted from within the company and had really amazing benefits. I learned a lot about true customer service during my time with Nordstrom. My managers were amazing. although Nordstrom was an awesome place due to the competitive nature sometimes the environment seemed a little hostile.
Great!
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Arcadia, CAApril 12, 2014
Like working here, management and co-workers are really helpful and easy to get along with. Environment is amazing, and customers are usually really pleasant too.
Retail
Sales Associate & Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Arlington, TXApril 11, 2014
Pros: regular break, good pay for a retail environment
Cons: lots of people, not always understanding managment
A typical day of work consisted of maintaining the sales floor, working to help customers find specific items, and helping to cash them out. Management was good but wasn't always flexible with scheduling. Hardest part of the job was trying to identify shoplifters and making sure other stores are notified. I enjoyed helping customers find what they were – more... looking for and helping them get deals on merchandise. – less
lots of room for advancement
Sales Associate (Former Employee), houston txApril 11, 2014
fast paced fun environment with lots of room for advancement. However some managementdi not take responsibility
Incredible opportunity to meet lead in field.
Resident Artist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 11, 2014
Loved, inspired by meeting and working with Francois Nars. Loved color experience and helping to make most successful event in Nars brand event history.
Beware...part-time jobs are really on call
warehouse clerk (Former Employee), annapolis mdApril 11, 2014
Pros: nordstrom name
Cons: manipulative management style
Whereas Nordstrom presents a high-end luxury face to the world, it's inner workings are manipulative.

For example, Nordstrom advertises "part-time" positions. What they don't tell you is that work is contingent upon feedback from stores about sales volume. One could go in to work work for a little time and be sent home. Or, presumably, be faced with – more... a mountain of work that had to be completed before the conclusion of an 8-hour shift (measured by a quota--80%+). Woe to the person that does not meet that standard. Last-minute weekend work requests must be honored--even if your plans are broken--lest no hours come your way in the future.

For part-time positions at Nordstrom, one is basically committed full-time, without the pay that goes along with such demands. Blatant unfairness, one that should be avoided.

Work for Nordstrom being aware of the risks. – less
*5 stars
*growth
*customer service!
Picking Processor (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAApril 10, 2014
Pros: great people job overall just great.
Loved it was the best employer I have worked for laid back and friendly great overall experience.
I love Nordstrom and would tell anyone to work there
Business Manager (Former Employee), atlanta, gaApril 9, 2014
I was a makeup artist and salesperson in the cosmetics department. I was also a business manager for one of the cosmetics lines. My favorite part of the job was the daily interaction with clients. Management is always there to offer support in any way.
Nordstrom is all about making the client happy.
Sales and Couture Specialist (Former Employee), Tysons Corner, VAApril 8, 2014
Pros: great health benefits and 401k after 6 months employment.
Cons: lots of standing on hard floors and high sales goals.
Nordstrom is a harder place to work than to shop. It starts each morning with a high energy ra ra meeting with the employees and the store manager, before opening. The expectations of customer service are very high along with your personal sales goals. Nordstrom will go to extremes not to say no to a customer. Returns are rarely refused and that means – more... that your hard earned commission is taken back off you! Nordstrom has an average of 30% returns each day, so you can be sure that your commission will be 30% less than you expect!
If you are high energy, driven sales person who wants to get ahead in the retail field, then it will not take long for you to be accepted into the management field. Nordstrom a very quick to recognize great sales people and promote them very quickly.
Do not join Nordstrom, if you just want to earn some extra money without much effort. – less
Diversed and equal opportunity employer
Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee), Fremont, CAApril 8, 2014
I believe that in order to be on top you have to start at the bottom. This is how Nordstrom is all about. They would never put you on top unless you started from the very bottom.
Regional IT
Regional IT (Former Employee), Paramus, NJApril 8, 2014
it's a great work environment i provide good customer service
Enjoyable work place with amazing people
Sales Specialist (Current Employee), Oak Brook, ILApril 7, 2014
Pros: cash incentives, free meals sometimes, free gratis
Cons: pay is inconsistant
Working for Nordstrom is very fun. There's always new people you meet and get to interact with on a day to day bases. There's music and a great work vibe which makes the work day go by fast. I love having the rally's that we have in the morning because it pumps you up for the day.
Sales associate
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 7, 2014
I maintained the department, made costumer purchases, and trained new employees.

1 2 3 4 5

About Nordstrom

Nordstrom, Inc.is a fashion specialty retailer that offers a selection of apparel, shoes, cosmetics and accessories for women, – Read more