Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Found 2,834 reviews matching the search
Bad work culture
Dept. Manager (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Bad upper management. Theres too much politics and hard work don't really pay off. Work long hours during holidays and sales.
Pros
Good pay for retail
Cons
No work-life balance
work was fun and full of entertainment
Sales Assiciate-helping (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2016
work day consist of folding shirts, making sales, closing and opening the store, making deposits, and just having a fun time while at work.

management was excellent everyone communicated well

wasn't really many co workers but the few we had it was another home for us

the mos enjoyable part of the job was the customers and the things that you find out about your city that you didn't even know
Great place to grow!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNFebruary 9, 2016
You'll work hard and will have to think on your feet but it's a great company with lots of opportunity for promotion. You get to work with beautiful product in an ethical environment that really puts the customer first. The retail environment is evolving very quickly in response to customers' desire to shop in a variety of channels.
Pros
health care, 401K, comissioned sales environment
Cons
retail hours
Fun and enjoyable sales environment
Department Manager, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 8, 2016
Perfect place to start your career and learn from their renowned customer service. Co-workers here are a blast, they make the day fly by.
Sales Associate, Hosiery (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAFebruary 8, 2016
I enjoyed working at Nordstrom's I only left because of moving to Texas in December 2015.

Checking my emails to see if I had any customers who were looking for items

Calling my customers to make sure that they were happy with their purchase.

Send out letter to my customers letting them know of upcoming events and sales
Pros
Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Health insurance restrictions
Great people But the company doesn"t care for employees
Rover (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 8, 2016
The people I worked with were nice. However, the company would cut hours and eventually move me out of position without a moments notice. Even after I exhibited amazing flexibility and serviced them any time of day and worked any position I could to help them. Just to be thrown to the wind... I feel used.
Awful place to work
Head Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 8, 2016
Terrible place to work! I was given 2 departments to sell in which were on opposite sides of the store! I'm in the middle of a sale , then asked to cover lunch for an associate on the opposite side of the store!! Constantly nagged about making figures when 1 of my departments had Next to no 1 shopping there! I had 20+ years of sales experience and was paid $9 hr. Just like a college kid coming in with no experience! I was the oldest salesperson there, they hire college kids who keep quitting! My manager was a pain in the butt, very strict, unable to bend a rule the slightest! The manager across the way I would have loved to work for but I could never ask for a transfer! I quit, couldn't wait to get out of there! The store is constantly replacing employees! After I left I found out that my assistant manager left akso
Pros
Cons
Too many I told already!
Decent Place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 8, 2016
Very demanding of hours 50+
Conferences and meetings on Days off
Management lacks holding employees accountable
Fun environment
Wonderful store and staff.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAFebruary 8, 2016
I adore working for Nordstrom, and found it was an excellent working and learning experience. The high pace of work combined with good hours made it an enjoyable and challenging job without being daunting or draining. The staff were wonderful- each and every one of my managers (and there were several) were supportive and positive, and were very patient as I learned the complicated (but thorough and precise) register system.

I also appreciated the benefits, and how thoroughly the company takes care of their employees- from the basics (insurance, medical leave, etc.) to the unusual (Future Nordstrom Leaders mentorship program). It goes to show that the company really puts stock into the people that they hire.

The hard part of the job was when the pace began to slow down after the holidays; It was extremely difficult (and often impossible) to meet quota with how little traffic we would get on a daily basis. As well, on occasion it's difficult to sell products that seem overpriced (although the quality of the product was higher.)

However, working at Nordstrom was delightful. They've routinely been named in the Top 100 Companies to Work For, and for good reason. Almost every person I met who has worked for Nordstrom has worked there for several years and loves every minute of it.
Pros
Good Hours, Excellent Staff, Great Benefits
Cons
High Prices, Varying Traffic, Commission Competition
Good Place to work
Loss Prevention ESA (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAFebruary 8, 2016
If you know what you are doing you will be good.
Everyone had a different pay rate, even if you have the same position as your coworker.

Want to know more about Nordstrom?

Ask a question
Productive and fun!
Service Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 5, 2016
Overall I enjoyed my experience with the company, great perks and amazing people. Opportunity to move up and transfer to a different location.
exceptional tasks done on a daily
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 4, 2016
I meet new and interesting people on a daily, build lasting relationships with the guests. I'm able to meet the needs of the store through team work and being at work on time. Being flexible to work all areas of the store when were short staffed. Opportunities for advancement as well.
Pros
growth to other positions
Cons
slow periods
Fun and Productive Workplace
Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHFebruary 4, 2016
I worked with MAC Cosmetics as a makeup artist. I learned how to work well in a fast paced environment. My management was very uplifting. The relationship with management and the employees was very family like. Working with my co-workers was very fun and exciting. Everyday I would learn something new. The hardest part of my job was taking a break. Nordstrom is a very busy department store. My job was client based, so the hardest part of my job was walking away from my clients. I really did not want to because it was such a fun working environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to express your own individuality. I loved applying trendy makeup to my clients, because it allowed my creative side to shine.
Pros
lasting friendships
Cons
short breaks
fun
womens sales associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 3, 2016
they pay great and it was a great environment, the workers are so welcoming and the managers are so cool and understanding.
Pros
pay
would not recommend
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLFebruary 2, 2016
it consumes you and its not a great atmosphere they tell you its a family but lots of gossip and health benefits suck overall don't work there not a good place.
Pros
discount
Cons
management, culture
Great Company
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 2, 2016
Overall, this is a wonderful company to work for. They grow future leaders from the sales floor. The culture gives you a sense of foundation and connection to the company. Great benefits and salaried managers are commissioned which allows them to lead by example and make as much money as they want with no limitations.
Great Retail Experience
SALES ASSOCIATE/MAKEUP ARTIST (Former Employee) –  Alderwood, WAFebruary 1, 2016
Overall, Nordstrom provided me with a stable and satisfying job in the cosmetics department. My daily tasks were many, mostly having to do with keeping my "numbers" up. That could mean appointment numbers, sales numbers, or customer rewards numbers. I would do this through customizing my leeson style makeup appointments with clients and then inviting them back for future events, building a clientele. With how busy my location was, a big part of my job was working with team members to make sure customers were getting quality service and experience. I cleaned, stocked, and organized inventory daily as well. We also had a personal customer book software that I would utilize to make phone calls to previous customers. Occasionally, there would be conflict between employees and unaccommodating or uncomfortable communication with management. Thankfully, I was largely unaffected by those experiences.
Pros
Good Compensation, Good Benefits, Good Work Environment
Cons
Drama
Amazing team, great work environment, overall had a wonderful experience at Nordstrom.
Product Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2016
Most enjoyable part of working for Nordstrom is the support recieved from team members and supervisors. Great work/life balance as well.
Worth 20 years
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Multiple LocationsJanuary 31, 2016
I held different titles, so the experience can not be categorized into a short summary. I had lots of fun in the beginning, and braved through a lot of changes. The mantra is do more with less every year. Combining job titles and responsibilities closed many pathways to a promotion. Nordstrom use to promote from within, now they hire interns without experience to run the departments after they "graduate"a training course. Needless to say the Nordstrom culture has suffered. The employees care about one another, but there are always going to be some bad apples that can't get fired. The hardest part of the job is knowing that bad customers are treated better than good employees. Nordstrom has great benefits, and they are ahead of other retailers when it comes to technology, and customer service. If I had a choice of staying with Nordstrom or going to another retailer. I would pick Nordstrom everytime.
Benefits
Cons
Promotions
N/a
Human Resource Service Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 30, 2016
Nordstrom is a Great company! Room to advance, Sky is the limit. Benefits are awsome! You can start as a dishwasher and end up as manager of the cafe.
Benefits
Cons
Workload