Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Found 3,988 reviews matching the search
this is a fun job for college kids
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX 77056September 30, 2016
Typical day at work varied. There was alot of unorganization. Sales goals could be unattainable given the current seasons. I did learn about products and their uses. Management varied. Alot of politics involved. Promotions arent based on numbers and a persons sales. My coworkers were pleasant for trh most part. There is no job security. Benefits can be taken away at any given time for lack of hours but schedule is done "based on business". Not ideal for a person with real bills. The most enjoyable part of the job was constantly excersing my craft.
Great place to work and gain retail experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYSeptember 30, 2016
Love the company, the culture of the company, easy opportunities to grow within the company. Nordstrom really makes sure there employees are knowledge and make it a comfortable work experience.
Fun for college job
Service Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CASeptember 30, 2016
Benefits aren't great. But for a college gig, they're pretty flexible. You're pretty engaged with nearly everyone in the store which makes it fun to get to know everyone.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
You have to be flexible as well
Very easy to be fired
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GA 30022September 29, 2016
When I had my interview the manager never got super detailed with what you have to do. However having retail experience I didn't think it would be rocket science to figure out. Everything started fine. I had to kinda go for what I know and train myself because management acted so busy they expected for me to know EVERYTHING. Which I didn't. They wanted everyone to bribe customers into signing up for credit cards. Even via Facebook to your friends. The management was very childish they acted as if they were on a high pedestal because of their position. You have one that's a adrenaline junky, one with a attitude problem, one that's too young so she wants to fit in so bad and talk about people in her departments, one that's too sensitive, one that's too laid back, and one that has mixed emotions every shift. North point market center in Alpharetta store #783 is the worst store to work. I wanted to transfer but instead they fired me for a false reason of blaming my schedule issue. The entire store knew I was getting fired except me until the day it happened and everyone just stared at me. Even the HR lady (Beverley) acted spiteful towards me as she gave me a piece of paper. Awful store but Nordstrom as a company is great to work for.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Management behavior
Great place to work.
Make-up artist/Sales (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CASeptember 29, 2016
There is many talented individuals and artist in the M.A.C make-up counter at Nordstroms. They have a great team of sales and customer service reps.
Pros
Great People
Cons
No Freeways next to mall.
Great environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 29, 2016
Overall the guest along with the staff were great. I had a great time helping my guest shop and getting to personal know them. Helping them pick out gifts or items for theirselves.
Mixed Feelings
Store Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 28, 2016
Big Company with a lot of great apples but a few rotten ones as well. I didn't limit myself yet I was held back by my Store manager. Was given awards and recognition in meanial achievements, yet when I wanted to influence substantial change for the better, I was limited.
Productive place to work, a great experience
Nordstrom Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHSeptember 28, 2016
This is an amazing place to work management is a little over the top sometimes but it was definitely a great experience that I will never forget . Loved my co workers !
Pros
Vending machine. Benefits. Rewards
Cons
Management short breaks mid shifts
Awesome place to work
Interim Assistant Manager BP Shoes (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 28, 2016
great work ethic as the backbone of the company. A typical day at work involves a healthy mix of bonding with associates and providing the best customer service possible. I honestly learned how to be myself in a professional setting and how to push myself to uncomfortable limits to be the best me I can be on my future career path.
Nordstrom is fully dedicated to their employees and customers.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CASeptember 28, 2016
Overall, friendly environment with people who were willing to help when clarification was needed. Department manager worked with schedule and co-workers supported each other during rushes, restock, and prep for the following day.
Pros
Free coffee, discount
good
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 28, 2016
great work place, great employees. every ones friendly and works hard. i love the company, always has really nice customers also. would recommend to a friend.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
little hours
Excellent place to work but difficult time for retail
Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 27, 2016
If you want to work in retail, Nordstrom is the place to be. The culture is extremely positive and the associates are outstanding. You are in a position to go above and beyond to assist every customer.

The most difficult part of the job comes from declining foot traffic in store. At a time when the customer can order from home and receive free shipping, fewer and fewer customers actually visit the store. There is immense pressure to call customers to restock their items previously purchased in order to make sales goals. The job is becoming more about telemarketing than face-to-face customer service. Declining in store sales make it difficult for the employees when the motto is "the more you sell, the more you make." Fewer sales mean less commission and less hours during each pay period because management will send employees home early on slow days. It is important to know that full-time can mean 32 hours only and part-time hours can vary significantly from one pay period to the next.
Pros
Outstanding culture and co-workers
Cons
Telemarketing, pressure to make high sales goals, limited hours
Customer and employee centric
Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Arcadia, CASeptember 27, 2016
Enjoyed fashion and you can felt the company truly cared for you. You are given all the tools you need to succeed and truly take care of the customer. I enjoy competition at work
Nordstrom
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CASeptember 27, 2016
Nordstrom has a great work environment with supporting managers and team members. It is also a competitive work environment where you have to meet daily goals.
Good pay for easy work however too much fakeness and bull
Logistics Processor (Current Employee) –  MilwaukeeSeptember 26, 2016
Best pay for job but it is a lot of favoritism and they only care about you if you make the most money in the store. They ignore all support and only are half way decent to you if you kiss their behind.
Pros
Pay, 1hr lunch, ebar
Cons
Favoritism
Nice people, nicer clothes, not so nice management
Line Cook/Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Lone Tree, COSeptember 26, 2016
My co-workers are all unique and awesome people and the quality of Nordstrom's product is exceptional, but the management likes to play games and have a clear bias when making decisions.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Favoritism
Happy Positive Work Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Farmington, UT 84025September 25, 2016
This is a great place to work. There is always a positive work environment with a lot of opportunity for advancement. Day to day work is managed well. And if you like being active the shoe department is for you.
Productive Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLSeptember 25, 2016
This company really pushes you to be yourself while driving sales. They have one rule in the beginning of the training which is to use your best judgement. Although it seems like a vague guideline it really forces you to make the best call in any given situation. There is never nothing to do. Either you're driving sales, contacting recurring customers, or reviewing shipments..it is never boring. This job taught me how to push myself even when I thought I couldn't, especially since it was a commission based position.
Pros
Great environment
Typical retail job
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CASeptember 22, 2016
Typical retail position. Working on commission is fair as you get paid for the efforts that you put in. Minimal opportunity for advancement.
you do want to work at Nordstroms
Sales PersonWomen's Apparel (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 22, 2016
a typical day at work is having a great attitude with a smile at all times, always engage with the customer to satisfy their needs. I learned that when you love what your doing the customer loves the experience of the service that day. Management is there everyday making sure business is running accordingly. My co-workers are great, working with a team of great people all out to meet the same goal. Team work makes the dream work and hard work pays off. I would have to honestly say that there is no hard part. anything is achievable as long as your strong enough to move forward. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you are setting an example for everyone around you and that your superiors notice your hard work and thank after each and every shift.
Pros
excellent job, flexible schedule, great people, great merchandise, programs to further your career within the company
Cons
pay could be better, and sometimes the store can be a little unorganized