Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Found 4,121 reviews matching the search
Nordstrom provided a very eventful working environment.
Logistics Processor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 18, 2016
A typical day at work was filled with different personalities to different types of products we handle everyday. We'd start the day unpacking/stocking shoes, then we'd jump on the shipping/receiving line and assist with packing. After lunch we'd jump in the truck and help sort and unload shipment for next day stock. During all these different tasked we assisted all store departments with floor setup as well as stocking needs.
Terrible. Management does not have your back or best interests in mind.
Receiver/Logistics (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 26, 2016
This is partly due to the particular store I was in and the dreadful environment born due to the worst store manager I've ever experienced in my life. Favourtism, sexism, lack of support and a lack of positive acknowledgement were all prevalent on a day to day basic. Money isn't that great. They think bc they start you more than minimum wage they are better than other companies.
Pros
The few employees who became actual friends
Cons
The management, Management, MANAGEMENT
Avoid to work there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLNovember 5, 2016
Not a nice place to work. The pay ( draw/ commission) is very, very low. Impossible to do a living. The work/life balance is impossible to reach. Work environment is not fun at all ( competition, no seat, music....)The moto is " profit" at any costs. The General Manager seems efficient and close to the employees, not the case of the department managers. She is the only one having a style that Nordstrom tries to reflect and showing comprehensive attitude in the store.
Pros
20% discount but everything is very expensive.
Hands on work environment with room to grow
Inventory & Web Processor (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 16, 2016
typical day at work was to work close with logistic staff in ensuring product is out to sales floor with proper security tags.
learned to manage my time around different projects around the company.
management was reliable with any availability changes.
co-workes were easy to get along with and to work with.
hardest part of the job was working with outdated technology that we used to utilize to work.
enjoyable part of the job was going to work in casual wear.
Current IT culture is bad
Merchandising IT (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 9, 2016
As a company, Nordstrom is a great company to work for. I've been fortunate enough to work with amazing people across many aspects of the company. Their employees are the number one thing the company has going for it.

Nordstrom IT, on the other hand, is suffering at the hands of change. There is little guidance, strategy or support from management. Today's IT leadership is rudderless. They do not seem to care about their employees. Work-life balance is out of balance.
Pros
Great co-workers; good benefits
Cons
Lacking management, strategy and vision
Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 7, 2016
It's generally all dependent on your department and store I am lucky enough to manage at north park mall in the men's sportswear department and we have a amazing location right next to highland parks which is to some extent the bevearly hills of Dallas just so people can get a idea we are always in the top 5 stores monethly for the region and because of this my goals are pretty much easily met but running such a big department does come with a toll having to constantly be there and meeting reps or putting out trucks is incredibly taxing on ones self
Not a place for a career
Wedding Stylist (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYNovember 9, 2016
Pay is based on commission, and the company (which does not have a return "policy") takes your commission away when a customer returns the item purchased.
This creates a horribly unstable paycheck.
Hard to move up in the company, even when qualified. They seem to base everything on time not effort. Managers also make commission so they like to steal customers.
I was a wedding stylist, and also received hourly pay - but it was not a livable income. Both stores I worked at were managed very poorly.
Great company to work for especially if you are a working student
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 17, 2016
Nordstrom is an amazing company to work for and I have truly enjoyed the years I have spent there. They were really flexible with my ever changing class schedule which was very important to me as I had to work and go to school. This company takes great care of all it's employees from the ground up, even matching your retirement funds. Nordstrom as a whole should be a role model for all other department stores on how to treat your customers. Their customer service is impeccable and part of the Nordstrom Culture.
Pros
good pay, healthcare, matching program, management
Cons
commission/ hourly hard to manage during slow seasons
An amazing corporation and a great part-time job
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 22, 2016
Nordstrom is a great corporation because they are committed to promoting talent from within and ensuring career advancement to top performers. Retail commission based sales positions are great for college students who need part time jobs that offer autonomy, flexible schedules, and a competitive and fast paced work environment, and Nordstrom is no exception!
Pros
fast-paced, commission, competitive, benefits
Cons
long/odd hours
Favorite company to have worked for by far.
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Braintree, MANovember 1, 2016
This company is full of friendly people who are always looking to help you out when you need it. They're extremely supportive and it really helps you to perform the best that you can. It's also unique that the company promotes it's management from within instead of just bringing in outsiders. All that, coupled with the amazing benefits package for even part time workers, is why I have enjoyed working for this company so much over the past couple of years.
Pros
Great community
Cons
Late shifts
Great job if you are a self motivated salesperson
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 17, 2016
Nordstrom customers have high expectations. You must meet their expectations. No free lunches unless you're in management. No free anything. Every person that works for the company starts off at the bottom aka a salesperson including management, hr, customer reps, etc. If you want a job where you can move through different positions/departments in the company, this is a place you can try. Extremely stressful.
Technology org is a mess
Program Manager II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 20, 2016
The Technology Organization is a bit of a mess. If your looking to advance your career in technology I would target a more robust tech company in the Seattle Area. If you have designs of moving to a big name in technology Nordstrom isn't really a stepping stone to get you there.

They are stuck in the old ways and they are not strong at adapting to change and understand when to abandon a sinking ship.
Pros
$100 towards transit pass
Cons
Health care was not the best, Old guard mentality, resistant to change
Great company with ambitious and competitive people.
Intern (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXOctober 18, 2016
The company believes solely on customer service and expects every customer to be treated as the main priority. Constantly learning new selling skills to encourage sales and motivate employees. The company is based on commission, therefore it has a very strong competitive environment. Competitive environment does create tension between employees but it also help each person overcome obstacles and improve weaknesses. Nordstrom is always an upbeat company, constantly finding ways to get everyone interested and to participate in activities into improving the company.
Pros
Events that includes rewards and prizes.
Loved this job!
Service Experience (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAOctober 9, 2016
I absolutely loved this job, it was so welcoming, and very team oriented and had such a family like quality to it. Merchandise was great, and sold quite well, It was great to go to work everyday in a T-shirt and jeans and to be able to wear comfortable shoes. I really learned the value of customer service with this company and how to relate and interact with the customers. I also learned a lot about fashion merchandising with this company.
Pros
Discounts on merchandise, productive all the time, busy, a great and fun environment to work in.
Cons
Shouldn't have hired temporary positions when opening, should hire permanent from the start.
Great company to work for especially for entry level positions.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, MI, Phoenix,AZ and Las Vegas, NVOctober 5, 2016
Great atmosphere, good training, great management.
Good products. Liked staff and management.
Set schedule.
Must keep customer file but really easy to use.
Liked being able to sell everything in store.
Lots of great people to help you .
Good company for advancement.
In my position, I found nothing hard about it.
Typical day was cleaning, stocking shelves, selling, contacting clients.
Pros
Good benifits. Fun place to work especially for new young hires.
Cons
Lots of customer calls to be made.
Not friendly
Loss prevention Lead agent (Current Employee) –  Short Hills NjOctober 4, 2016
Typical day at work would be myself coming in making sure the store is ready for opening. Throughout the day I walk the floor undercover and apprehend shop lifters. I have learned a lot with this company from the monthly trainings that we have to complete some of the trainings consist of code Adam code red or others such as active shooter. The people that I work with are friendly yet the store is ran by favoritism. The most enjoyable part of my job is actually apprehending shop lifters the rush you get doesn't compare to anything.
Nothing Positive to Say
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 3, 2016
The customers and employees of this job were extremely rude for the most part, the compensation SUCKED, coworkers called in atleast twice a week. Employees of the company that worked either in other stores or in other departments would almost demand free items and call the store for special favors constantly then give us more attitude when we refused. The store would be slammed with customers on weekends and we would experience the most call outs then making the job even more dreadful. Tips were split by everyone on shift, allowing us to leave with atleast one whole dollar at times.
Cons
nothing
Very friendly yet productive environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 4, 2016
A typical day at work consists of constant movement and cleaning to ensure a nice, well-kept shopping environment for the customer. I make it a point to ask every customer if they would like t sign up for the Nordstrom rewards program to meet the requirements of signing up 5 customers a month.
Pros
friendly coworkers
Cons
management is nonchalant with problems, very little structure to how employee issues are handled
Productive workplace with excellent customer service.
Beauty On Call (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 1, 2016
Flow of customer traffic can vary, being most busiest on weekends. I've learned a lot about patience, understanding, and always giving great customer service. I've met a lot of great coworkers who have taught me a lot. Overall I wouldn't say it is very difficult to work at Nordstroms and the people and service there make it most enjoyable to work for the company.
Pros
Discount, gratis, flexible times.
Cons
Bad customers, bad coworkers.
this is a fun job for college kids
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX 77056September 30, 2016
Typical day at work varied. There was alot of unorganization. Sales goals could be unattainable given the current seasons. I did learn about products and their uses. Management varied. Alot of politics involved. Promotions arent based on numbers and a persons sales. My coworkers were pleasant for trh most part. There is no job security. Benefits can be taken away at any given time for lack of hours but schedule is done "based on business". Not ideal for a person with real bills. The most enjoyable part of the job was constantly excersing my craft.