Nordstrom

2.6K reviews

Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Competitive
Sales Representative/Intern (Former Employee), Columbia/ MDAugust 31, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Time consuming
I enjoyed working on commission because it was a challenge for me. I competed with every employee which made me work harder. I made sure I treated every customer with great service no matter how much money they were spending.
!!!!!!!!!!WORST JOB EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nordstrom Ebar (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Free drinks, tips and good friends
Cons: poor management and favertism
The job is fine if you want to work hard and get nothing in return. The pay is REALLY LOW. How is management...there is no management. The management was poorly executed. The management there is also very rude. I worked there for over a year, busted my back and got NOTHING in return. Hours? Hours are great if you want to work 42 hours a week because the boss does not want to be there. Any problem that you have is not handled by HR, HR is very friendly to the management. The district manager is very rude and does not care about employees. The district manager has threatened my wellbeing and there has been no help from human resources on this matter.
Rapid paced work place
Logistics Team Player (Current Employee), King of Prussia, PAAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Discout
A typical day at work consists of searching high and low for online purchases. If a customer was to order something online it was my job to look throughout the store thoroughly, bring the item into the web hub, box the item, and make sure it gets shipped! I've learned the back end of shopping online and what the people 'behind the screen' have to do. The management and co-workers are under control for the most part.
NA
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 29, 2015
Good for retail class. Compensation is not enough for the amount of work. Cosmetics sales culture has changed and not for the better for the last five years.
dreaded going to work everyday
Former Employee (Former Employee), Beavercreek, OHAugust 29, 2015
Pros: good pay, breaks, had a good schedule
Cons: judgmental company, too many changes to keep up with, being taken advantage of strong work ethic, rude employees
I will never work for another retail company just because I can't deal with all of the SNOBS and rude people that work for Nordstrom. I worked harder than anyone there and did everything I could to help, but I never saw any recognition. If you need your schedule moved around for some reason they wouldn't help, but if MANAGEMENT needed you a day that you were scheduled off or needed a "personal" day to themselves, of course they could change their schedules. You do not get treated fairly, and the only way you will is if you advance into a management role. I do not recommend working here if you want to keep your sanity.
Great Place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Portland, ORAugust 28, 2015
High expectations but can be very rewarding. there is a high turnover rate because they hire a lot of college students which causes room to move up in the company.
Work
Barista (Current Employee), Towson, MDAugust 28, 2015
Everything is amazing Love my job the customers are greet my co-workers are amazing The management is on point and outstanding
If you like to compete
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Lone Tree, COAugust 27, 2015
If you love to compete with other people for sales all the time this job is for you! If you get a manager that suck then your work life wont be very pleasent, if you get a good one, then going to work is a little more pleasant.
Great, but only short term
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Columbia, MDAugust 26, 2015
Most coworkers were great. Gained lots of sales and customer service experience which I have definitely utilized in my new job. Discounts were great and store events were always fun. Life outside of work was hard to manage due to very unpredictable schedules which were always "subject to change."
Nordstrom
Department Manager / Sales (Current Employee), Cherry Hill, NJAugust 26, 2015
Nordstrom is a great company to work for, though I am looking for a career that is located closer to where I live. I'd like a better work/life balance.
Productive and fun place to work.
Retail Sales/Stock/Merchandising (Former Employee), Arcadia, CAAugust 25, 2015
Pros: A lot of opportunities for advancement within the company.
Cons: Not much. Compensation and benefits were good but can be much better.
Fun place to work. Great people with supportive management. Great place to personally grow and develop. I've learned a lot just from working here and met a great amount of people with creative and awesome personalities. I had an overall great experience and would recommend this company to anyone that are interested in working in the fashion or retail business.
Great team and management to work with.
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 25, 2015
Good opportunity to advance within the company. Optional relocation. Great team to work with. Management is knowledgable and professional.
Fun and supportive sales environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Clackamas, OregonAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Great culture and opportunities
Cons: Pay
Great company to work for, supportive staff and management, allows for flexibility and provides advancement within the company or movement to other departments
Had a nice break room
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Woodbridge, NJAugust 25, 2015
Pros: break room
Cons: standing all day in the same spot
I would go into work 10 minutes early make sure my station was presentable and everything was in order then i would stand around and greet every customer that walked by, asked them if they needed help with anything. If they did i would help them if they didnt then i would leave them alone and check up on them every 5 minutes or so. I would rinse and repeat that the entire day, and occasionally use the register when people were buying things.
Great team work, and support
fitting room, and sales (Former Employee), San Marcos, CAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: team work, support, fairness
Cons: hours, used more training
Walk in positive with a positive attitude, attitude is big part of starting off your day and how it can effect people.

Honestly there is a lot of good people out there that what I learned.

Management was good and I did have lot of support

Your CO workers back a Normstrom rack was very supportive and down to earth people.

Not having enough hours, or time. Hardest part was leaving the California Normstrom rack.

Meeting new people and new customers, they made me laugh and it made me enjoy what I was doing.
I was disappointed
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee), Des Peres, MOAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, career environment, happy people, enthusiastic employees
Cons: Uncaring management
I was so excited to be working there. Unfortunately there was management problems. I had health demands that were not met. I was expected to do jobs before proper training or instructions. I was left alone at night, expected to work front of house and clean back of house at the same time with one break at the beginning of a five or six hour shift. More than once I found mold in food and there was a lack of concern among co workers. Nothing was dated for expiration. I was threatened by other employees that they'd get me fired if I complained or changed things there. I had to fight to get my pay checks afterward. It took them 9 months to send an expired pay check to me.
Great Competitive Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAAugust 24, 2015
Nordstrom is the type of company where you get to run your own business. There is no cap to the success you gain from working for such a company. Since the earning were solely commission based, the environment was extremely competitive, which drove myself to work even harder. I would definitely recommend this company to those who are starting out in a sales environment.
Sold ladies shoes at upscale retail store
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Good pay, keeping up to date on all the latest trends
Cons: worked nights and weekends
Working at Nordstrom was a great experience overall for me. I enjoyed the people and the fast pace. The pay was high for retail, as it was commission based. I had been with Alaska airlines for 6 years prior to working at Nordstrom so I had a strong foundation in customer service, which helped tremendously. The hardest part of the job was the fact that when a customer returned a pair of shoes the commission you earned was deducted from your check. Working weekends proved to be a challenge as well, since I had young children at home. A typical day was basically just running back and forth to the stock room and retrieving shoes for customers. Sometimes I would have two or three customers at a time, which was good for improving my memory skills. One must remember size, style and who wanted which shoe. We were expected to bring out additional pairs for each customer in addition to the pair chosen. We also did inventory, stocked and ordered shoes from other stores. Once I even hand delivered a pair of shoes because a customer needed them as soon as they came back into town for an event.
Learning Environment
Sales Associate, Santa Barbara (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Opportunity of growth within company
Cons: Limited luxury merchandise
Fun work environment with product knowledge provided by veteran colleagues. Monthly goals created unity amongst coworkers. My favorite part of the job was working with coworkers who quickly became outstanding teammates enabling the company to reach monthly goals!
Productive and fun work environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 24, 2015
You can expand your customer service skills and ability to learn how to work in a team environment. The place is focused on each customer individually.
Headquarters