Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Found 3,979 reviews matching the search
Great pay if you can get the hours to work!
Part Time Rover (Former Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIAugust 28, 2016
Rovers only work doing markdown,so when no markdowns are available you work as a fill in in case a department needs help or if someone who works in the department calls off. as a rover you have nothing to "own" the hours are spotty and can be few and far between. you could be scheduled 40 hours a week but only work 18. coworkers are not the nicest people. the environment is very negative. managers can be very disrespectful and rude.
Pros
Awesome pay! long lunches! Tailored Hours
Cons
Can't find work when you need it, no job security or stability.
Productive work place with opportunities to advance
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAAugust 30, 2016
Nordstrom is a productive, supportive company. There is always room for improvement and associates are mostly helpful. Flexible with schedules. They are a family run business and always provide answers to questions or concerns within the workplace as well as moving up in the company. Human Resources is always helpful and available when needed.
Pros
Family friendly, cultural, supportive, effective
Cons
Goals sometimes cannot be reached due to lack of product.
Competitive, boring and unproductive.
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 14, 2016
Working at Nordstrom made me realize why retail isn't for me. When I first started it was a fun place to work and I enjoy fashion so it made it enjoyable dressing costumers. After a few months working at Nordstrom, there was a lot of pressure to reach unattainable goals. My co-workers were nice but when it came down to it we had to compete for commission. It was not a fun environment and often felt unproductive due the times we had slow days.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
The pay rate, competitive environment and unproductive use of time.
Productive Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLSeptember 25, 2016
This company really pushes you to be yourself while driving sales. They have one rule in the beginning of the training which is to use your best judgement. Although it seems like a vague guideline it really forces you to make the best call in any given situation. There is never nothing to do. Either you're driving sales, contacting recurring customers, or reviewing shipments..it is never boring. This job taught me how to push myself even when I thought I couldn't, especially since it was a commission based position.
Pros
Great environment
Great to be apart of
Communications / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYAugust 23, 2016
Deliver exceptional service receiving and responding to incoming calls from customers and co-workers.
Support store operations by being a general resource for customers and employees.
Provide a strong knowledge of store departments, services and events.
Provide daily sales reporting and various updates to the store and its departments
Taking ownership of customer complaints and queries and resolving it in a timely manner.
Excellent Commission Based Employer
Luxury Sales Associate- Womenswear (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 18, 2016
Nordstrom is a great starting job for any fashion/retail graduate. Management was very easy to work with. The job is commission based, so it can be stressful to work with other employees when you are constantly competing for sales. Nordstrom rewards employees with promotions.
Pros
Excellent company to grow with, nice pay
Cons
Can be a somewhat cutthroat work environment depending on employees and location
Small cafe with exceptional service
Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 24, 2016
as a cashier my job is to assist customers with anything they may need once they step into the cafe. my main duty is to take orders but i also help with running food, bussing tables and i have also served tables when i am needed. my coworkers are amazing, we are all really close and work well together. my favorite thing about working in the cafe was meeting new people and helping make someones day better by giving them great service.
Great place to start a rewarding career
Store Administrator/HR (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXAugust 14, 2016
A typical day at work is anything but that. You see and learn so many new things that it is impossible for your day to become routine. The people you meet along the way are so diverse. No one looks the same and that's exactly what building a strong team should be like. We all brought something different to the table which ultimately rewarded us with success. There were some difficult days especially around holiday season when business picked up tremendously. All hands were on deck to service the customer. Whatever your skill level there's something for you within the company.
Great cliental at Nordstrom and amazing relationships with customers.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94102September 16, 2016
A typical day at work would be fulfilling any orders from other stores and shipping them out. As well as greeting customers, fulfilling their needs. At Nordstrom, I learned how to better communicate and gain patience with co-workers and customers. The hardest part of the job was telling my customers that we did not have an item they wanted in store. I try to order the item from another store or from nordstrom online, but a lot of people do not like ordering from online. The most enjoyable part of the job, was the connections I made with co-workers but more importantly the connections I made with customers that loved my customer service. It made me feel good that I was doing my job well.
Resume
Sales/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 7, 2016
• Ensured Nordstrom’s preferred customers’ expectations were met in an efficient and professional manner at the point of sale;
• Developed relationships with regular customers through cultivating a professional image in words, action, and presentation in a fast paced, high-end environment;
• Exercised entrepreneurial judgment, discretion, and problem solving strategies;
• Supervised and trained new employees and served as senior advisor to co-workers and colleagues.
Fashion retailer is as good on the inside as it appears from the outside
Men's Designer Omni-Channel Buyer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 14, 2016
Maniacal focus on the customer experience
Corporate culture is based on legacy and growing up through org
Smart co-workers who are passionate about product and retail
Growth potential in various areas of the company
Entrepreneurial spirit is pervasive
Merchant-driven
Marketing is not prioritized
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Legacy-driven
Productive & safe work environment
"All Star" Sales Associate in the Lingerie Dept (Current Employee) –  Santa Anita, CAAugust 31, 2016
Business varies from day to day, busy & slow days
I have learned many things from Nordstrom, above all how to provide the best customer service possible.
Management has been very supportive.
Co-workers are all great different relationships established with different personalities, they are all great team players.
Hardest part is working for Nordstrom is working for mainly commission, the inconsistency of paychecks amount, and work schedule is very difficult to have a life out of work.
Most enjoyable was being able to get on a personal level to help our customers and leave happy in the lingerie department it doesn't get much more personal than that seeing happiness in them made me happy too.
I find the amount of customer service I am able to deliver the most rewarding thing about working at Nordstrom. I am able to work closely with custom
Receptionist/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 1, 2016
Pros
The ability exceed customers expectations.Growth
Cons
Long hours on your feet BUT IT ALL PAYS OFF
Great company to work for, love their culture and values.
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  californiaAugust 29, 2016
Being an employee for over 10 years at Nordstrom I have grown both professionally and personally with this company. They believe in their employees and push you to be your best. As a salesperson you write your own paycheck and get back what you invest. As a manager you have a lot of freedom to run your department as if it was your own business. You hire who you feel is the best fit for your team and your customers. Nordstrom always gives their employees the benefit of the doubt which sometimes makes it difficult to part ways with employees who are not meeting the expectation although we are an at-will employer. Will forever be grateful to Nordstrom for all the opportunities they have provided me with.
Fast paced fun, engaging working environment.
Sales Associate/ Stylist/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 22, 2016
A typical workday will vary, however, one should expect to provide impeccable customer service to each customer that walks into your store/ department. I've learned a great deal about the foundation and principals of the company and the true essence of customer service and relationship building internally and externally.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Extended hours
Strict commission environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 24, 2016
A typical day at work includes coming in, getting coffee from the store coffee bar then having an early meeting with the entire store. We go over goals and past year's sells versus this year's sales. During the day it's about finding the best customer and selling them the most items. They more you sell the more you make. The hardest part of the job is balancing the return policy and daily selling. There's is no policy so it's easy to leave work one day and have a negative earning amount for the day. Where you remain in the hole and have to go to work the next day hoping you aren't further in the hole and that you can sell enough to climb out! The most enjoyable part was the culture. Everyone was going through the same thing so it was easy to make friends
Call Center Life
Customer Service Lead (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 30, 2016
A day in the life of working at Nordstrom is coming into a bright atmosphere. You sit next to your peers and can get help when needed. The benefits are great for the most part, and have an okay 401K plan. The most enjoyable part was being around positive people, They had a site up just for Nordstrom Employees that allowed us to view all resources, procedures, and had good communication on changes.
Pros
Able to work a straight 8 hours without a lunch if desired, $20 an hour is really good.
Cons
My husband has better healthcare options through his work, so it would be nice to have Nordstrom replicate those benefits.
Business Slow and Fast, poor management.
Processor (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 9, 2016
I have here for years. The job is okay, decent pay. The management is awful and they tend to throw anyone under the bus including their best workers. Quality Index (QI) and productivity index (PI) are stressful. They expect you to maintain a 70 (PI) one hundred hours average even when we're slow. Management also is very open however they never resolve issues. They continue to promote the worst workers who then turn into the worst managers. The higher level management isn't honest with the future of this location being as there is a new fulfillment center (FC) in Pennsylvania which is draining our work.
Pros
Not great but decent pay.
Cons
Poor managers, negative outlook for this center, productivity index, firing good workers for weak reasons.
Great start for young people
Warhouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDAugust 26, 2016
At the job previous to the above, I absolutely loved my manager –I still consider him to be the best manager I’ve had in the 15 years I’ve been in the workforce. I ultimately ended up leaving the job only because there was nowhere for me to go career-wise, but I stayed for almost 3 years because I enjoyed working for him so much I probably would’ve left after the first year if he hadn’t joined the company.
shoe department
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 26, 2016
I would start the day checking to find any single shoes an then call customers when shoes have been found. I would also size the floor, do floor moves,ring up customers, order produce for customers, open accounts, place payments to customers account. I learned that if you have a good leader your team can be afactive. The hards part of the job is that dealing with people that can give a nasty behavior back. I enjoy dealing with people an helping people findwhat they need.
Pros
i get between 30 mintues to hour lunch.
Cons
hours being cut.