Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Found 4,557 reviews matching the search
Strong Culture and Service Oriented Atmosphere.
Loss Prevention Agent (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDFebruary 17, 2017
Job consisted of routine surveillance (both physical and CCTV), weekly department audits and creating strong relationships with both employees and management. Nordstrom creates an amazing work environment which is relaxed and objective. Rapidly expanding company with plenty of opportunity for growth and promotion, but not within the store which I worked at. Management within the Loss Prevention department created a difficult work experience via scheduling and negligence in training agents to become "released". Training process was not catered towards the individual which caused a lapse in training.
Pros
Culture, Benefits, Salary/Pay
Cons
Scheduling, Management, Overly-Extensive training process time
fun environment, fast paced job
Customer Service Rep (Assistant Manager) (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 10, 2017
Nordstrom is a great company, has room for growth and also a good starting job for any one interested in retail! working for the company i have learned how to work with others and take that experience to the next level of coaching others in the role ahead. one awesome fact is they make it easy to transfer across america and stay with the company! when it comes to management at Nordstrom there is a little brushing up to do, across the bored equality and appreciation everything the employee brings to the company. The hardest part of the job for me was the scheduling, effecting structure in your outside life and the work overload in some locations. Last but not least the most enjoyable part depending on location, the team work involved every day to drive numbers and always putting the customer first!
Pros
set pay raises, mobility, benefits
Cons
inconsistent policies, human resources
Long hours, good salary if in large store.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMarch 2, 2017
Had a great time at Nordstrom, enjoyed the environment and atmosphere of the company. Nordstrom could give their employees more information on how to grow. Have a program for people to go through but seems some what old school to me and several coworkers. Management should try to get to know their employees better. For the company that gives their employees so much authority, at least on the sales floor, it is some what contradicting to have upper store management not even introduce or acknowledge themselves to the sales associates.
Benefits
Cons
Long Hours
A great company but with little loyalty to its employees
Designer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 14, 2017
Nordstrom has and will always be a top tier place for fashion. However, behind the doors there lies a place of cut-throat business where everyone is considered replaceable. What once was a family run local company that was a cornerstone of Seattle business has now become an over-inflated ego driven machine. The pay is below standard for the industry and the hours are long and arduous. There is very little reward for the dedication and passion that the employees put into their work except for the fact that they get to say they work at "NORDSTROM". Sometimes that just isn't enough for a job well done.
Pros
Corporate Location, Benefits, Team Members
Cons
Hours, Pay, Parking
The worst company ever!!!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 22, 2016
A typical day at Nordstrom is horrible. The managers that they hire for the position are not manger material. They do not listen to their employees unless you are friend , or if they like you.The mangers work you like crazy. My manger will give me eight tasks to do and it has to be completed by the end of my shift. My manger is not well organize and she does not know how to manage at all. T
The co-workers are extremely nice. I haven't had any problems with my co-workers. It is not the best company to work for.
Pros
Cons
work extremely long hours, making higher compensation, overtime, lack management, HR is pointless, no-life
Fun flexible and lots of growth oppurtunity
Kids Lead/ Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dublin, CANovember 30, 2016
Nordstrom is a great company for EVERYONE. If you're a student looking a for extra money or if you're seeking a career with growth opportunities, Nordstrom has a place and position for you. I am so blessed to be apart of a company that feels like family. They are quick to take care of their employees just as quickly as they take care of their customers. I never feel like I don't have a voice. Also, because they have so many locations including their Rack division, opportunities exist all over the country and now in Canada as well.
I've always felt well compensated since day one and the benefits have continued to grow in my almost 4 years with the company. I'm grateful.
Pros
Benefits, Great Open door policy, growth oppurtunity, profit sharing.
Cons
Short hourly shifts, favoritism, rude customers
Trying to be a software development company...
Software Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 16, 2016
To be fair, this is the experience of a software developer, not someone in retail, so the perspective isn't the same for all of Nordstrom.
They're trying to be a software company, and failing miserably. They are constantly shaking up management trying to get someone in who can deliver results in a time-frame expected by retail people (which is far to short for software development), and when it doesn't work they bring in new management. They are *far* more concerned about making sure your working hard than doing the right thing. And although they have good salary and benefits, the work environment is stifling (no walls anywhere, tiny desks, no privacy, and they're constantly re-arranging the layout of the floors). There's also only coffee to drink (not even any real creamer), and you have to pay to get anything else out of vending machines.
A workplace that feels like family and drives you to be your best
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WADecember 6, 2016
Overall Nordstrom is a fantastic place to work at. The culture is why people will stay a lifetime. Your customers and coworkers become family and are the inspiration to keep you motivated to always be better. The policies and upper management encourage your own critical thinking and problem solving to make the business your own. Of course there is stress and emotions when you work alongside commission and metric based roles ... it can take a lot out of your creativity and motivation. Isn't that most jobs?
Pros
THE PEOPLE, open door taken very seriously, decent amount of training
Cons
Compensation, Retail hours not always great for all people
Disappointed
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 20, 2017
I started with Nordstrom in Dallas and it was a Dream job. Everything was perfect: management, compensation, culture, etc. I was promoted quickly and eventually wanted to try something new in a different region. I chose the NE. Bad decision. Completely different caliber of people and culture. Just terrible. It broke my fervor for the company and my career within it. Had I chose a different region I would have probably been an employee for life.
Pros
Promotion from within, compensation, benefits
Cons
Management, politics
Fun place to work, but offers little room to grow within the company
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 28, 2016
Nordstrom I can tell strives to hire people who are easy going and are open minded to working with a range of diverse groups. The one thing I love about working at Nordstrom is how diverse it is and how different departments still mingle together.
I currently work at the EBAR, so it is a little bit different than a traditional job at Nordstrom. Being at the EBAR it is impossible to get the opportunity to move up because the management would rather hire externally, than from the group of employees that already work there. This aspect would have to be the hardest part about my job.
I do enjoy making friendships and connections with the regulars that come into our coffee bar. That would be the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Discounted food/drinks, my coworkers
Cons
Raises don't occur often, inconsistency in management
Great job for the social and busy person
Service Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CAJanuary 27, 2017
I had a great time working at Nordstrom...I was actually at the Rack and I had a great time. I worked in both Accessories and Service Experience. I liked being on the floor and assisting people with making selections or giving advice on what would be better for them. But in Service experience, I liked having the constant interaction with customers while checking them out. Yes there were challenges, but overall, it was great working with other individuals who were goal driven and encouraging.
Pros
Employee discounts, great work atmosphere, first look at new products
Cons
unstable work hours, no benefits for part time employees
Nordstrom is a great place to work
Service Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 13, 2017
Nordstrom is a great place to work, especially as a starter job. They pay very well, and make you feel valuable. If retail is not your long term goal, I do not suggest falling in love with the company or you will find yourself for many years, and wondering where the time went. It is a great job to have while in school because they will work with your schedule regardless of how few hours you wish to work.
Pros
great pay, benefits, and culture
Cons
clique-ish management
Behind the times
Applicant Support Team Representative (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 16, 2016
Nordstrom is a great company with a strong desire to create a fantastic environment for their customers. The structure of command is an inverted pyramid which shows that Customers are what keep the company alive and the employees on the front line, at the store level are most important. With that being said there is no structure for moving up within the company and you get different answers or the run around when asking for help. When I first started with the company no one explained about the benefits or where to go to find answers so I was in the dark a lot. The employees I work with are fun and I enjoy seeing them every day, however there are clicks within the company and a lot of gossip. I enjoyed wearing what I wanted to work and being able to adjust my hours to get off earlier. Everyone is positive and a team player. The technology they use, for example direct deposit comes in 3 days after your payday, is behind.
Dynamic work place with a good work life balance.
Lead Fashion Photographer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 5, 2017
Nordstrom is a very established premium retail company based in Seattle Washington. Very open and friendly workplace with room for advancement depending on one's desires and abilities. Compensation, healthcare, 401K, employee stock purchases, are good.
Pros
Excellent work life balance, positive culture plus room for advancement
Cons
Too many layers of management.
Current IT culture is bad
Merchandising IT (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 9, 2016
As a company, Nordstrom is a great company to work for. I've been fortunate enough to work with amazing people across many aspects of the company. Their employees are the number one thing the company has going for it.

Nordstrom IT, on the other hand, is suffering at the hands of change. There is little guidance, strategy or support from management. Today's IT leadership is rudderless. They do not seem to care about their employees. Work-life balance is out of balance.
Pros
Great co-workers; good benefits
Cons
Lacking management, strategy and vision
The best job I've worked at so far. Allowed me to listen to music as I worked and had Open Door Policy to talk to my managers whenever i needed to.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Rialto, CAMarch 12, 2017
Very great environment, coworkers were great with positivity as well as leadership. Job was very easy to understand and sometimes we were able to work on our own depending on how well we were trained. The Open Door Policy was very helpful since our managers were able to answer our questions or take suggestions whenever possible.
Pros
Able to listen to music, great benefits
Cons
Work depended on other departments which resolved in no work and early breaks.
Fast paced job with fun team providing excellent customer service
Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee) –  South Coast PlazaJanuary 11, 2017
My schedule was generally 8 to 5 pm and two closing shifts per week. I would come into work and check sales from the previous day,assign goals and delegate tasks as needed. I would merchandise new product onto the floor five days per week. All product received had to be out onto the floor so we were ready for business when the store opened. Once store was open we would start following up with any customers that needed to be taken care of as well as reaching out to new customers to set appointments for styling. I would partner with the team to help sell in order to help their business as well as the departments. I learned that every person is different, you have to be able to work with that individual person, that people work for people. The reason I worked for Nordstrom was my customers and delivering great customer service. I also love to merchandise all the exciting new product.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Not being able to give more hours to someone who deserved it because of payroll.
Great company, under-qualified managment
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 15, 2016
Normal day as a stockperson is coming in at 4:30 AM and leaving whenever the manager tells you to. My schedule would say 11:30 but I NEVER left on time, most of the time I would leave at around 1PM because we were either understaffed or doing unnecessary tasks that put us behind schedule. Literally, all of my coworkers (whom I loved dearly) on the stock team left before I did because our managers never really treated us with respect and hardly gave us recognition. We got put down more than anything. Personally, I was degraded by my managers and they weren't the most understanding people when it came to personal issues. If I asked a question about the work, I would get smart or sarcastic responses as if I was stupid for asking. They boast this "open door policy" and when my coworkers took advantage of this benefit and spoke up about issues going on, things were peachy for about 3 days and then back to the same ol'. The company itself is great, though! Always did things for charity, potlucks, and when times got hard for me financially, they did help.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Favoritism, un-set schedule, management
Management needs to get in touch with their people
Lancome Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 17, 2016
At first your led to believe Nordstrom really cares about their people, and wants to hear their thoughts. You quickly find out this isn't so. Management has there favorites, and in order to be seen you must kiss up. Doing your job isn't enough, your'e encouraged to NOT think out of the box. My first year there was great, because they had a more caring management team, but as time went on people left, and new management just didn't care about the family business feel they were once fostering.
Pros
health benefits, two 15 minute breaks as well as your full lunch of course
Cons
When number have to be made management can be very nasty I understand, and benefits can were taken away because they needed to cut costs. Perhaps not now with Obama care.
Nordstrom Cares
Fulfillment Agent (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAFebruary 15, 2017
Great company to work for if you're hard working and reliable because your production and attendance is constantly monitored. Good compensation for the work you do. Management does its best to keep employees happy. It is perhaps one of the cleanest and most comfortable places I have ever worked for. They go above and beyond to make your work environment comfortable.
Pros
Safe, clean, and comfortable enviroment to work in.
Cons
Unrealistic attendence policy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nordstrom. Our community is ready to answer.