Nordstrom
1,977 reviews

Nordstrom Employer Reviews

nice company
Sales associate (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 26, 2015
Commission based and it is apparent. Some departments aren't as catty, but some are. Personal Stylists work out of many departments and can be the cause for stolen sales and such. There is a huge opportunity to earn money though if you are not afraid to learn about every department and assist the customer in that manner! It can be very rewarding with the customers you make relationships with. This is a position that will increasingly get more money the longer time spent there.
Great Manager's Great place to work
Lead Logistic Manager (Current Employee), King Of Prussia PAJanuary 26, 2015
I am currently managing the shipping and receiving for the store. I have a great team that works along side me. One of the best jobs I ever had in my life.
Great customer service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Woodbridge, VAJanuary 26, 2015
its a very good retail company with plenty of growth .......
Supportive and Goal Oriented Work Environment
Sales and Service Ambassador (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 26, 2015
Support and guide customers to desired product by asking probing questions and using effective communication and listening skills. Service customers through out entire sales process from greeting to check out. Merchandize floor to create compelling and exciting lifestyle fashion trends to fit all tastes. Keep sales floor stocked and organized to ensure a memorable shopping experience for all customers.
Not the right role
Item Analyst (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: discount on clothes
Cons: competitive to advance
Nordstrom has a good culture and nice folks, however at times quite political. The Item Analyst role was not the ideal role for me.. The job description entailed a lot of data entry and carpal tunnel.
Great place to work for!
Assistant Department Manager, Shoes (Current Employee), Wellington, FLJanuary 24, 2015
Love the upward mobility and fashion forward lifestyle promoted by Nordstrom. They also give back to the community and are voted one of the top 100 best companies to work for for a reason!
Beautiful products, but quite a bit of nepotism
Visual Stylist (Interim) (Former Employee), Novi, MiJanuary 24, 2015
I loved being able to work and get to know designer products

-made friends for life
-atmosphere can be catty if you let it get to you
-company encourages being mobile in theory, but management can have a hard time letting you move.
Great Place to work
Communications/Representative (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: hour lunch, overtime, holiday pay, full time hours
Cons: some of the manager choices
When I first started at Nordstrom I was a sales assocaiate in the Narrative dept. (clothing for women in ages in 40-60 ), most of the sales associates were older women in the department but they help me with product knowdledge, gaining clients, and overall selling experience. However I notice that the commission didnt work well for me and I wanted something a little more stable and dependable so then I moved to the communications department in our store. Which in turn ended up loving doing! On a day to day basis when come in at 8am, get any reports together for the store manager to read in morning announcments, put away any mail in desgianted managers mailbox, I then get on the phones and proceed with answering/transfering calls, make pages or announcements through out the store, for an example, paging a customer to return back to a department, paging store manager, or selling managers, closing announcements. After a few months working in the communications department I then was ask to become the communications lead, I trained new operators with the guidelines and expecations as an operator, I also was responsible for making our schedule. This postion help me more with learning the leadership role, it taught me how to delegate the work load and make it an complete team effort. I also assisted with any phone issues throughout the store, whether if a phone was broken would either replace it or order a new part etc. Submitting request for managers voicemail resets. Overall i loved this position! I would say the hardest part of this job was encountering some of the customers and their atttiudes but this job has taught me the best way to deal with any bad customer service issue is to give exceptional service! For me the most enjoyable part of the job was the people, i have really met some great people at this job who have been helpful from the very beginning, some co-workers have turned into friends.
fun place to work
Web Processor (Former Employee), Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 23, 2015
Loved the job wasnt seasonal
coworkers were fun
pay was good and discount was great
A good place to work for the most part
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Farmington, CTJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: commission, social environment, flexible schedule
Cons: management
A typical day at work starts with shipment and merchandising of the floor. In between and after consist of customer service, merchandising the floor, selling of products, engaging with customers for there wardrobe needs, along with maintaining prior customer relations and pursuing new ones.

I have learned that you really do get what you put in. Nordstrom being a commission base environment involves yourself insertion. You are basically a one person business and your income depends solely on your efforts. Though some times the commission based environment can scare some, I felt i was a great experience.

Management along with employees had a high turnover rate. I, myself do not know all the reasons for this but it was apparent. Also, management and human resources were not to helpful in coaching or resolving issues between employees or managers. Management seemed to be very political.
Fashion Forward Store
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee), Novi, MIJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: customers, discount
Cons: commission based pay
Commission based pay, so your paychecks are never consistent. This drives employees to trick customers into buying items they will eventually return. The competition is incredibly tense and causes a lot of friction and catty behavior (even amongst managers). My greatest thought while working there was knowing I was only seasonal.
Good Company
Sales Associate/Personal Shopper (Former Employee), Freehold, NJJanuary 21, 2015
My customer service skills I learned them at Nordstrom.
A great store with wonderful managers and co-workers.
good company
SALES/CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE NORDSTROM (Former Employee), Skokie, ILJanuary 21, 2015
Fun workpace,very enjoyable job,great people,very helpful,support each other
Good environment but terrible management
Seasonal Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Bellevue, WAJanuary 20, 2015
When I first started at Nordstrom I thought that I had lucked out, who doesn't want to work at Nordstrom? But, as soon as I started I saw how flawed management was. To start off, my managers never told me where to get the schedules. They made me and the other new hires write it down on a piece of paper and then proceeded to give me the wrong schedule. Because of their poor management I didn't come in for a shift that I was scheduled for and then got angry with me for not coming in. There was also extremely unfair treatment of workers, the big sellers were treated fantastically but the smaller sellers were constantly yelled at for any small thing done wrong. The big sellers were not expected to do the daily tasks the rest of us were. There were/are a lot of flaws with Nordstrom's management, I loved the environment and my coworkers but I hope to never have managers like that again,
Fun place to work. But not a career.
Department Manager (Former Employee), CincinnatiJanuary 20, 2015
Great job to have while you are at school or just getting started. Chances are you will work a lot of hours but you will be compensated fairly
Great place to work for college kids
Sales Associate (Former Employee), IndianapolisJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: hour lunch, if you like fashion it is an awesome place to be around great clothes
Cons: commission based, not a team environment, pay is not that great
Nordstrom is a great place to work if you are a college student with not that many responsibilities. I liked working there, but being that the pay is strictly commission I do not like the environment. It is very cut throat and you have to make sure you stay on top of your customer or someone will steal the purchase. If you don't mind an environment like that you'll be fine. But, I do not like that people in your own department can be just as back biting in regards to purchase "steals". Pay isn't that great unless you sell a significant amount, and at that it can go down because when people return the items whether it be a day or a year down the road it is taken from your commission.
The Top in the Retail Industry
Commission Sales Associate (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: advancement, if desired is quick
Cons: training became minimal, leading to quickly promoted managers not knowing many regulations or nordstrom backbone
A balance is required from each of us throughout our shifts, stocking, organizing, connecting with customers, and of course, setting ALWAYS the most desired place to shop because of the experiences had when inside our doors.
Every person, no matter how long with the company or how new, has something valuable to bring to the table to benefit us as a team to better the shopping experience and keep clients wanting to come back again and soon.
Loved the plaque hanging above the doors before entering the sales floor: "Through these doors walks the most courteous people in the world" which motivated us to always validate that saying.
Only one piece of paper in the Employee Handbook- Use Your Best Judgement.
Innovative and fun workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Westwood, CAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: employee discount
I learned how to make sales and I developed a good customer service skill
Productive and fun workplace
Department Manager (Current Employee), Paramus, NJJanuary 15, 2015
Great company to grow.

friendly people

Great learning experience

fun environment
Nordstrom
Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 15, 2015
A good company to work for but their stores are going through a very big change and it can get political

1 2 3 4 5

About Nordstrom

Nordstrom, Inc.is a fashion specialty retailer that offers a selection of apparel, shoes, cosmetics and accessories for women, – Read more