Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Found 5,396 reviews matching the search
My experience
Beauty Advisor/Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAAugust 23, 2017
I love Nordstrom as a company but the management I experienced had very poor communication between the managers and employees. The company praises their want to move people up in the company but in my department (note I have only been there 10 months) there was a lot of letting go and hiring new.
Pros
Nice co-workers, nice customers, commission and hourly, great benefits
Cons
Poor communication, hard to move up, commission base, sales competition
Nordstrom Rack
Loss prevention Agent/Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 23, 2017
It was okay management was horrible hours wasn't so bad either I got good hours but management drama on the floor with other sales associates it was a mess.
great
Loss Prevention Agent (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 22, 2017
great i liked it. fair. fantastic. amazing. sometimes challenging. lots of training. would recommend to friends. would go back. enjoyed the workers and more
Retail
Sales Associate/Personal stylist/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 22, 2017
I will not publicly comment on the company.

This is not a proper way to communicate.

I will speak to future employers regarding my time there.

Thanks
Pros
sales
Cons
standing 8 hours
Awesome company to get gain experience in customer service
Sales/ Personal Stylist (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 22, 2017
Typical day will consist of completing daily follow ups to provide update to commitments to customers. Greeting sales staff and management to update myself on the day's activities and goals.
Interact with customers and fully engage with them to learn why they are in the store and meet / exceed their expectations.
The best part of my job is that I meet new people everyday, although it is commissions sales co-workers are usually very nice and friendly.
The toughest part is the inconsistent pay (commision) since the retail sector has slowed down and people are shopping on-line more.
Pros
Discount on all your employee purchases
Productive fun working place
Shoe Salesman (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2017
Norstrom rack is a fun productive work in place for all employees that would like to advance through the company. Working at Nordstrom rack is not too hard of a job but once you get acclimated to the system and how things work everything falls into place.
Competitive but you can build relationships with customers
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2017
You are told to treat it as your own business. You have to build relationships with customers. Calling customers for every monthly event was cumbersome. Customer would complain the are being called to often. Walk through traffic has died down making it really really hard to make sales. Home much money you sale will determine how much you will take home on your check. All departments except for Cosmetics, restaurant, logistics, house keeping, loss prevention are Commission Base Pay Only. I was losing money year after year. Making it really hard for my lifestyle. You get hit with returns and they count negative towards your daily sales
Pros
interact with customers
Cons
Commission based pay. So if there isn't any walk through traffic you won't make any money.
Go place to work
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 22, 2017
This was a good place to work and also the people there are great people to work with. They have chances to move up in the company at around 6 months and better your self.
cool place to work with lots of growth opportunity
Advanced Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAAugust 21, 2017
I enjoyed the job the pay and the quick advancement its a fun place to work and the people you work with are cool management could be better but overall enjoyed my time there
Cons
commute
Developed conflict resolution skills
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COAugust 21, 2017
It was a great experience where I was able to develop my leadership skills as well as train and on-board newly hired employees. I partnered with management to review processes and improve procedures.
Pros
Developed leadership qualities
Cons
Difficulty delegating due to wanting tasks to be completed with complete accuracy.
Commission
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYAugust 21, 2017
Commission sales are never easy. You are on the sales floor with a handful of people trying to grab the customer first. It all depends on how hungry you are. The harder you work on your craft, the more sales you will earn.
Pros
discount
Cons
competitive, no structure
If you love retail life
Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Short Hills, NJAugust 21, 2017
If you love the retail world, Nordstrom is for you. It is a very demanding job- long hours, a lot of work on and off the floor, however the culture is very family oriented and allows for job advancements.
Nope
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  ColoradoAugust 21, 2017
Only liked the discount everything else wasn't worth working there. Pick a busy store because then you get paid more starting there than a slower store.
Consistency
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  1640 Camino Del Rio N.,San Diego, Ca 92108August 21, 2017
Working at the Nordstrom Rack was fulfilling. I used to meet management's and supervisor's expectation. I met different types of customers. The store carries medium to high-end merchandisers. Challenges with high expectations were compact to each other.
Pros
Fulfillment
Upbeat, High-Tech Work Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 20, 2017
Use of modern technology made it easy to be efficient, generous employee discount, overall this was a really positive and upbeat environment to work in.
Decent company
Department Manager (Mens Shoes) (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 20, 2017
Good company to work for. There's plenty of space for advancement. 401k is competitive to other companies as well as health benifits. Would recommend to anyone
Pros
401k commission customer based
Work Alot
Sales Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Buford, GAAugust 19, 2017
Great discounts when you work there. A lot of hard work and long hours when the holiday seasons come around. Very low salaries for the amount of work you do.
Hard work and low pay
Designer Sales (Former Employee) –  Short Hills, NJAugust 19, 2017
The issue is with lack of educated management and the abusive return policy. The sales associate has the potential to make as much money as possible if it wasn't for the open return policy which has become a crippling force to the company.
Nordstroms was a fantastic employer
Nordstrom Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 19, 2017
My time at Nordstroms was amazing! I loved the people that i worked with and very much enjoyed coming to work everyday. The work environment was that of a team. Everyone i worked with always went above and beyond for fellow employees and customers alike.
Wonderful Experience
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 19, 2017
A typical day at Nordstrom starts at 8am for managers. We start every day merchandising, and re-merchandising. We check emails and respond to customers before heading to the sales floor. Managers work side-by side with their employees to ensure their success but also to understand what is happening on the sales floor. Depending on the department, managers spend a significant amount of time putting out fires (customer service issues, product issues, sales associate issue etc) As a designer manager, its less about putting out fires and more about focusing on building customer relationships and ensuring our sales people are too. Another time is spent in meetings with vendors, management or individual sale associates. It is a lot of pressure all the time to ensure the high standards are met but its a lot of fun.
Pros
discount, opportunities
Cons
work/life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nordstrom. Our community is ready to answer.