Nordstrom

2.5K reviews

Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Great learning experience
Sales (Former Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 3, 2015
My general work consisted of receiving instruction both from management and fellow associates in regard to days task. This set me up for my daily shift task to perform my job to the best of my ability in helping the general public.
Fast paced work environment with direct control over your salary
SALESMAN (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 3, 2015
A day at nordstrom begins with an opening duty, to ensure the cleanliness of the work place. An area to supervise is assigned on any given day to maintain and present the merchandise in a desirable fashion. Lastly the main focus of the job is to sell and style customers from head to toe, and provide exceptional customer service.
Great company to work for!
Sales, Men's & Kids Department (Current Employee), Orange, CAAugust 3, 2015
Cons: Can be physically demanding depending on the business of the store.
Nordstrom is a great company that takes care of their own. I have worked at 2 different Nordstrom Rack stores and both were filled with great co-workers, flexible managers and great perks!
Fast paced environment with strong goals
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee), Tukwila, WAAugust 2, 2015
A lot of running around is a typical day. Don't stand around and look glassy-eyed, you always need to be working. I learned a lot about the benefits of Nordstrom, both as an employee and as a customer. My co-workers were pleasant and I've made great friends.
Best part of my job was talking to customers on a daily basis and helping them
Loss Prevention Shrinkage Specialist (Former Employee), Tampa, FLAugust 1, 2015
Pros: Good Pay, Great Discount on merchandise
Cons: Too Much politics, Employees complaining about hours, Managers make you work all weekends
In overall this is a good company(They make billions) but Management sucks due to the fact that they are under pressure to make money no matter what. Its all about numbers. Their main goal is to make the day so if you ended up leaving late on a particular night because the store is full of customers, they will cut your hours the next day to make for the time that you worked over the previous night.. No Overtime at all. Crazy hours. Co-Workers were great and always there to help all customers. I enjoyed meeting new people every day that they visited the store from different parts of the US and the World.
Fun environment
Barista (Current Employee), Arcadia, CAAugust 1, 2015
Fun work place with friendly team members to get the job done. Really laid back job. I really enjoyed working here. Great company to work for.
I love my experience at Nordstrom.
LOGISTICS PROCESSOR (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAJuly 31, 2015
Nordstrom has given me a lot of tools to be successful in the future. I have leaned how important great service is, how effective quality control is.
Decent discount on store merchandise, lots of Fashion knowledge
Inventory Processor (Former Employee), The woodlands MallJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Nice pay check
Cons: Constant schedule changes, poor management, productivity takes a back seat to useless politics
Honestly, my time spent there as a seasonal worker was, underwhelming. Most of the staff try hard to skirt actually working, though they are usually friendly. They pay is good for what the work is, though the management is in need of revamp as more often than not the manager of stock team has little to no idea whats actually coming and going through his inventory dock.
No work life balance in t he kitchen
Chef (Former Employee), Clackamas, ORJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Culture, work life balance
You are a worker, and no matter how much you get done, it's not enough. Not appreciated for anything that you do, you are there to make them money.
Very productive. Mainly seasonal.
WEB RUNNER/STOCK CREW (Former Employee), Paramus NJJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Fashionable customers and air conditioning
Cons: Managers can't and won't let you breathe.
My co-workers definitely made it worth working there. Down to earth in a well payed environment so who's to complain? I only worked there seasonally so the hardest part is to push above and beyond in order to keep it after the winter.
Lots of opportunity
Sales product specialist (Current Employee), Costa Mesa, CAJuly 30, 2015
There are many vendors and avenues to go down when working inside of Nordstrom. The career path possibilities are endless. Great variety of careers in store as well as corporate.
Productive and fun place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Growing a team to be proud of
Cons: I struggled with always working weekends
Check in new product and merchandise the floor. Check sales for the month and make a plan to meet/exceed sales goals for the day. Make a plan per sales person as to what the expectation of the day would look like, sales goals and learning on the floor, how to grow your relationships customers and how to grow your sales.
I enjoyed my job, working to better a sales person or growing your team to be "owners" of their own business was fun.
Good opportunity and beginner job, decent pay, retail lifestyle tough
Salesman (Current Employee), Aventura, FLJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Commission salary, Interesting customers, Cool co workers, designer savy
Cons: RETURNS, Commission salary, Cold Calling, stockwork
Nordstroms is a great place to work if you love fashion and a retail lifestyle. Lifestyle meaning working every weekend, and retail hours closing one night late and opening next morning. If you have a family you will miss out on a lot. Some days you make a lot of money because its strictly commission and other days you can work and lose money because of returns. Great people working with and sometimes fun environment, but you all will struggle if you have a lot of bills to manage as I did. You won,t make a lot of money but if your young or live it home or single (no family) Great starting job though and resume builder and you learn a lot of sales skills and info on designers etc.
Management Is Terrible and very hard to please.
Salesperson-TBD (Former Employee), Chicago, Michigan AveJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Free jeans
Cons: Management attitude
The compensation was great if you worked hard and my coworkers were great.
Management was ridiculous and overbearing. It's so many duties that you do not get paid for and the sales floor in my department was always overstaffed. Many days I felt like a kid in Kindergarten instead of a salesperson.

Tips-
1. You will never leave on time- because of these ridiculous duties.
2. Management is not supportive
3. Management is very negative and do not support advancement
4. Coworkers will steal sales
Good but could be better
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Towson, MDJuly 30, 2015
Pros: hour lunch break, chance to build your own pay check
Cons: work life balance, pay check is constantly changing, on feet all day
Nordstrom is great as a starter job. It teaches you how to adapt to the world of commision and how to expad your customer service skills but it is hard to find a work/life balance in ANY type of retail - and that is true for Nordstrom as well. Plus your pay check is constantly changing. If you want stability in your hours or pay check... this is the WRONG place for you.
The people are awesome the compensation needs work
Stylist (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 29, 2015
The people that work here are some of the most creative and amazing people i have ever met. I simply wish the higher ups would evaluate this and start paying people accordingly.
Customer Support is simply that - Repetetive
Home Based Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), Work at HomeJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Nice company value system
Cons: Boring work, Company rules are very black and while, Intent doesn't matter
Great company in relation to their philanthropic nature and their genuine care to provide the very best customer service to their customers.

The company is very diversity conscience as well with many awards won.

When it comes to customer service you must still fit into that box. Boring call after call after call with no venting allowed for work at home employees and no room for mistakes.
Great Culture
Assistant Manager E-Bar (Current Employee), Garden City NYJuly 28, 2015
Pros: free coffee
Cons: short breaks
I love interacting with customers. Educating them about coffee. Having them leave with a smile on their face. Expert multitasker.
Fast paced work place with many opportunities for advancement.
Sales Department Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 28, 2015
There is a lot of opportunity for learning and career advancement. If upper management is what you are looking for then mobility has become a huge priority.
Good work place to hone skills
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Novi, MIJuly 28, 2015
Nordstrom is a great company to build and advance your personal skill set. Their standard of customer service translates and comes in hand with any future employment position you may take on.
Headquarters